July 21st, 2009

What health reform means for you

Jeanne Sahadi
CNNMoney.com Senior Writer

Lawmakers are still far from consensus on how to fix the health care system. So it's too soon to know exactly what reform would mean for individual Americans.

But a picture has started to emerge from two key bills put out by Democrats in the House and Senate. A third bill is expected soon from the Senate Finance Committee.

The first two bills propose:

– a national insurance exchange on which insurers would compete for consumers' business;
– a public health plan that would compete with private insurers on that exchange;
– and subsidies for financially strapped Americans eligible to buy health insurance on the exchange.

Both bills would also set minimum standards for health insurance policies and require insurers to guarantee coverage for those with pre-existing conditions.

Considered in broad terms, here's how those bills are likely to affect three groups of Americans: those who are currently insured through their employer; those who buy insurance on their own; and the 49 million Americans who are expected to go uninsured next year.

Read more...

Filed under: 360° Radar • Health Care
  1. Manny

Seriously, even Canadians agree that the health care reform would be a good idea. I think that most opponents of the plan are either wealthy and can afford the current system or have something to benefit from the current system, I would tell everyone to not be fooled by bureaucratic bologna from conservatives. America will be fine, if not better and healthier because of health reform.

July 22, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  2. Teresa, OH

@Jeff: re: " What do you really have unless you have your health."

Nothing, we have nothing except.... pain, suffering and death.

( how was your b/fs father eligible for care in Canada as an American?)

July 22, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  3. Teresa, OH

We are such a christian nation arent we? Toss a few pennies in the Salvation Army kettle at Christmas, toss a couple bucks in the basket at church, donate all UNWANTED items to Goodwill .... We all think we are such GOOD people and yet, we would deny lifesaving measures for all? I dont get it.

When Bill Clinton got elected to the White House, I wrote Hillary a letter and thanked her for her work in getting health care for all. The "old mens club" laughed at Hillary.... and here we are... over ten years later. How many people have died due to no healthcare in that time?

Hillary, if this health care reform comes into effect, I thank YOU for it. No one talked about National Health Care and brought it into the forefront like you did. And Prez Obama will get the credit.

July 22, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  4. Trina

Good morning,

Regarding healthcare reform...here's an observation.
    Why are the politicians more concerned with getting their August break
    rather than getting it done? Skip the break and get the healthcare
    reform bill sorted out. This is ridiculous. Are they so isolated that
    they don't get that the American people are working day, night,
    weekends, holidays without a break? Who's going on vacation?
    I don't care what side of the aisle one is one...this needs to be
    worked on until there is a solution. Period. No break until it is
    done. I'd like a break too and people in hell want ice water.

July 22, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  5. janet

I don't like how insurance companies dictate to doctors what they can do and not do, and how long your hospital stay is. The insurance companies are throwing sick people out of the hospital.
    Since I lost my health insurance, my docotor has cut my bill for check ups to 50% of what they charge the insurance companies. I'm good with that. The thing I worry about is a catastropic medical problem I may encounter in the future. I would only be intrested in purchaseing insurance for that. I don't want to be made to purchase insurance to pay for just two doctor visits a year as a healthy person, tho'.

July 22, 2009 at 7:37 am |
  6. audrey papke

Going to a doctor is a nightmare. They are all in cahoots, sending you along to everyone other than a doctor who will fix a fixable problem, before it kills you figuratively or literally. $$$

I wish they'd arrest one-half the doctors in the United States.

Because of someone imagining I would be confined for life with THEIR invaid, my life and social security is ruined, along with my health.

Male union member who brags he's entitled to 4 four weeks vacation and 10 sick days per year: good luck keeping your escape-from-work job as YOU take care of YOUR elderly and disabled. NO, there are not women out there "to do that for you." You will love the confinement, the hours, and the pay, among other things. Slavery has been abolished. YOU take care of YOUR family and I'll take care of my family. That especially means personal care. How dare you offend me about the personal care of your family.

July 22, 2009 at 6:26 am |
  7. Tahl East

As a Canadina citizen with full health care, to me health care reform means that all my American neighbours will have access to the heal care that all people deserve.

Frankly, I am sick of hearing from the nay sayers that our system is evil...give me a break!!! As a single parent for 17 years and the daughter of aging parents I wouldn't want them under any system other than the one we have as Canadians.

Wait times? ya, there are swaqit times in some in situations, rarely terminal or fatal ones. a lump in my breast was addressed immidiately with every test possible, a pain in my knee had to wait a couple of months for a specialist.....I'd rather wait than not get it at all because of my financial, social or insurer issue...I really wish that so many across the border stop making it sound like we are all the walking dead....far from it!!!

Give it a chance eh...

July 21, 2009 at 9:28 pm |
  8. Alexandra Dombowsky

I was surprised by Liz Cheney's misinformed comments tonight regarding Canadian Health care, "Canadians have no choice over their doctor, the government decides and that government also determines who receives what treatment..." neither statements are accurate.

July 21, 2009 at 9:20 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

I had a hard time following what the article said about the different approaches – sounded like they took something that should be simple and made it hard. You'd spend more of your time figuring out what you have with the heath care than being sick.

Whats wrong with a 1 plan system that covers every citizen in the US as a single group? The plan could have differing levels with differing costs based on what each level offered. For example, if you are past child bearing age you don't need maternity care benefits. If the plan had 5 different options – basic, basic plus, advantage, advantage plus, advantage premium then you could look at each level and see what they offer; maybe the difference is the copay; maybe the difference is in the percentage of what the insurance will pay for certain procedures; maybe the difference is in varying deductible rates; maybe some will offer vision care and some will not; all should offer prescription care. Each level's premium is different with the price going up with the amount of coverage you select. This is what my company insurance did until they decided that they weren't going to offer medical insurance as a benefit anymore. With all of us in the same group, the government ought to be able to broker quite a deal with the insurance companies because of the size of the group. A nice simple easy to use plan that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

July 21, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  10. Christine

We so need healthcare reform. I lost my job in Feb. and have no healthcare coverage. I am getting unemployment which I am grateful for but we can't afford to add me to my husband's policy because it would double. The cost would pretty much wipe out my unemployment checks.

I had to order my migraine medication from Canada today. Two prescriptions were 80% less than the lowest quote I got from local pharmacies. The woman I spoke with was very kind and helpful and we had a very interesting and informative about Canada's healthcare.

Sadly, a lot of Americans have to order their medication from Canada as well, I sure Democrats and Republicans alike.

July 21, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  11. Jeff

What is wrong with you people? The number one cause of bankruptcy in the United States is due to medical costs. Yes your taxes will go up but if, or should I say when you get sick or injured will your medical bills exceed your tax increase? Will you still own your home? Will you be able to be insured again? In Canada this is not an issue. Yes, we have a doctor shortage ... that is why we have delays. But, an urgent case is seen right away ... and once you are in the system ... you're extremely well taken care of. Canadians do not have to put off going to the doctor because we cannot afford it. Health issues are taken care of right away. We, if we choose can have regular check-ups.

I am a single mother. Several years ago my eleven-year old daughter became serious ill and missed two years of school. She had constant headaches and the pain in her limbs was so severe there were times she was unable to walk. I wondered if she would ever be able to function again. I had just finished school and was unable to get a job due to her illness because she required constant care. The Canadian health care system managed to find cause of her illness and eventually she returned to school and thrived. She is currently finishing her thesis for her degree in Health and Society from the Faculty of Medicine.

My boyfriend's father had several operations every two years for the past six years. The last hospital stay lasted ten months. It included several operations and very expensive post-operative care that probably would have cost between $2 – $3 Million dollars in the U.S. Had he lived in the U.S. the medical bills would have broken the family … and one more thing … he was American.

We constantly hear through your media that America is the greatest country in the world, but for me, the greatest countries are the ones that ensure its people, and I mean all of its people, rich, middle class, poor … and yes even those not invited are healthy. What do you really have unless you have your health.

July 21, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  12. Dana H. from Bay Area

I'm kind of curious. If the republicans are so bent on no giving us a public plan, what do they think about giving us the same healthcare coverage they currently have? From what Obama says, they have pretty good healthcare coverage. Is there any reason why they cannot make that kind of coverage for the rest of us?

July 21, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  13. Mark

Obama is so partisian he has created a divide. His big government ideas are not possible in a country that cannot support itself. We should each take care of ourselves and not depend on our government. Each person should maintain their own large deductible insurance policy. No one in this country saves any money so they ultimately expect the government to take care of them. It is my opinion the constitution does not provide for a government that supports so many people that don't work. We are bankrupt.

July 21, 2009 at 8:45 pm |
  14. Stephen

Dr. Sanje Gupta reported on a story of the disparity between the quality of healthcare coverage received by African Americans and the quality of coverage received by whites. It pointed out how many African Americans have MEDICAID and because of that, they often have to go to overcrowded clinics and they do not receive the care they need in a timely manner. MEDICAID is a federal health insurance program. What makes everyone think that a larger version of MEDICAID will be any better? I'm not comfortable with the federal government managing a health insurance program because I know that it will amount to billions of tax payer dollars going to waste; the federal government is extremely inefficient when it comes to spending money.

July 21, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  15. lampe

Sylvia: Maybe if you should pay more attention to The NEWS. You are on here blaming The Republicans for not getting behind this. Well I have NEWS for you. The Democrats, are also telling Obama they do not like this plan. So maybe you could review your information, and split the blame for this falling apart as you say, between both parties. This Country is NEVER going to come together as long as people like you continue to blame others for problems, that are just as much theirs.

July 21, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  16. Vanessa

AMERICANS SPENT $2.2 Trillion on healthcare in 2007 (numbers for 2008 not in yet). THAT'S IN ONE YEAR.

AMERICANS spend more on healthcare than food or housing

Healthcare insurance premiums have doubled in the last 9 years–3 times faster than wages.

Health insurance premiums are expected to triple by 2015

AMERICANS spent 17% of the GDP on healthcare in 2008–France spends 12% and they have national healthcare!

Public option is not single-payer–it is not what Canada or England has. It is the healthcare system that France has, which is ranked #1 by the WHO. America is ranked #37 behind Morrocco and other developing nations. Competition is key.

Insurance companies promised to reign in their greed in '93/'94 and they have done nothing but soak the American people in the past 25 years. The profits from the medicine business/healthcare racket are too lucrative to resist. Everyone needs a hospital or a doctor at some point or another. Insurance companies need competition!!!

July 21, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  17. Curtis Colons

Here's common sense. We already have Medicaid so make the requirments to be on Medicaid more accessible. Make it so that a household making $3,500 or less a month automatically elgible for medicaid, help us working poor and middle class. Take away the Medicaid plus scam and put that money into regular Medicaid to pay for the influx and make pre-existing conditions obsolete for Medicaid. A public option is undercover monopoly, taxing the rich is unAmerican by hurting incentives to succeed, and keeping the staus quo is unacceptable.

July 21, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Subtract from the 49 million uninsured the 12 million illegal aliens, the 17 million who can afford health care and have elected to not get it, the 10 million who qualify for Medicare and haven't signed up, and you are left with about 10 million who are really uninsured, out of 300 million Americans. That's not a crisis, and certainly doesn't warrant cutting off all debate to ram a flawed bill through that won't work like the failed stimulus.

Two simple actions would make health care more affordable to all: limit malpractice awards and allow import of drugs from Canada and other countries with lower costs but adequate quality safeguards. Neither costs the American tax payer a penny. Of course good luck getting the lawyers in Congress to limit malpractice awards and put fellow lawyers out of work.

July 21, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  19. JOSEY

We need national health care and why not fashion it after the health care congress already has.
    How come we can all pay for that but not for everyone. That surely comes from our taxes also!!
    National Health care is great. We have many fiends from Canada and from different probvinces and they all rave about their health care.
    Why can almost every other nation in the world have national health care and our own great nation cannot.
    Thanks. Josey

July 21, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  20. Rick

They need to do something about the twenty million plus illegals that are draining the US tax payers before fixing the health care system.

July 21, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  21. Linda B., Ga.

Why doesn't the President and members of Congress offer the "same" low cost Health Insurance Plans to the citizens of our country that are available to the President and members of our Congress. It is my understanding that they pay something like $35/mo (minimum) for their health insurance. Some pay more, if they wish to have a better plan, but, not that much more......$35/mo/per person, in a household would be more then affordable for all of us...

July 21, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  22. Andy Beeze

Wake up my fellow citizens, stop this left versus right , republican vs democrat, liberal versus conservative. Where is your mind stuck . Is filled with anger, or is it on the issue at hand. Where is your heart. Is it filled with love for the country or hate of a party, that has disillustioned you. This is our country not the left or the rights not black not white it is ours. We want healthcare reform but do we want it to get it through an then pay for the rush later. America stand up demand healthcare this should be a a bipartsian lets come together an get it an show the world who we our. We our the people

July 21, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  23. Wynoma Hollis

I became ill five years ago, and had to go on disability. With out Medicare and Medicaid, I believe I would be dead. Both are government run programs and they work fine for me. I have no problems getting doctors appointments, and I believe I'm getting the best health care there is. I'm now on dialysis and I get good treatment.

There are those who complain about getting the best health care. Good health care is only as good as the person who provides it. Rich people die from medical mistakes as well as poor people. Rich people die less because they can afford health insurance, and hospitals do treat the rich a bit better than they do the poor.

Of course that will keep going when we do get government health care. That's just the way it is; the rich are treated better. But at least with health care the poor will possibly live longer.

I have no doubt, President Obama will get health care passed this year. God is with the truth, because God is TRUTH. The truth is, the poor need help. Lets all pray that God intervene and provide health care for all. GOD IS GOOD!

Wynoma Hollis
    Jacksonville, Florida

July 21, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  24. Stacy

@Lori: More and more businesses are dropping medical benefits due to high costs. Buying insurance on their own isn't financially feasible for lots of hard working people. Not to mention how hard it can be to obtain insurance when you have a pre-existing condition. And what about the under-insured? Health reform is in no way an issue of expecting something for nothing.

July 21, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  25. Dede -Kitchener Ontario Canada

Hi Anderson
    Please don't believe the advertising that is currently on the tv about the downside of Canadian health care. Yes, there are problems, but at least 90% of us wouldn't trade our system with yours for anything.
    Our system means that all Canadians are covered, no questions asked. If one or two doctors arent alert to some conditions( like the young woman who had a brain tumor) doesn't mean that all of them are.
    Your system means that those who have permanant jobs are better and more deserving than all others. The latter have to settle for second or third best. I believe that a country that has good health care , beginning before birth, is a much healthier country.
    Please do not use my name in any TV report.
    Dede Ontario Canada

July 21, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  26. Doug Berry - Huntsville, Al

Today insurance companies decide what care you'll get covered for, not doctors or you. Under the Government plan, insurance companies will be forced to compete which means lowering cost or getting out of the business. Insurance companies have created this problem for profit. If you think they care more about your health than making money then your naive. If something doesn't work then try something else. And the insurance plans existing today doesn't work at all for the poor. What should we do about that? Let the poor die? Keep making hospitals raise rates to cover the poor? Isn't that why the system is broken now?

July 21, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  27. D. Wehr

As a Canadian living in Ontario I find the US Healthcare discussion both frustrating and inaccurate. I have healthcare which has served me well. Those losing their jobs in the current economic times are not losing their coverage. Thank God we take the high road with those that are not affluent. Rich people can go anywhere anytime. Only our Conservative politicians would have similar interests to Republicans with regard to profit based health care. One of the reasons we like Canada is because of our more humane healthcare policies. Beware of those that lie to you about our system in order to line their or their friends pockets. Demand the truth. Good Luck.

July 21, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  28. Sylvia, New York

To Lori: What would you say to me? I did work all my life, I am now 47 and have a 15 year old to raise. Her father, my ex is unemployed, we lost his insurance when his company downsized. He does not pay child support.
    I can not pass a physical to get a job. I have arthritis all through my body and can barely walk.
    I did not want to give up my salon, there was no choice. My ex didn't want to lose his job, again there was no choice. There are no jobs out there. So what are we supposed to do?
    Don't forget that most Americans work for small businesses who can not afford the ever increasing health insurance premiums.
    I dare to say that not many people are looking for something free, just something they can afford and that is fair to all people, of all walks of life no matter what thier health concerns.

July 21, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  29. Sylvia, New York

When are the people who are supposed to be representing us in the house and congress going to actually do that?
    I am a disabled worker, i owned a business and now am unable to work, my medical bills (thanks to the gastric bypass 18 years ago)
    are astronomical. Even with Medicare, and private insurance,
    I still am unable to afford co pays for procedures, specialist visits or non covered meds. My doctor is upset because she thinks I am not following her advice, but if it comes down to my daughter having necessities or me getting medical care, my daughter is going to win everytime.
    In one of the richest countries in the world, no one should have to worry about getting the tests they needs, the meds they need or seeing the physicians they need.
    Maybe some of the Senate Republicans should do what reporters have done in the past, tried to live on food stamps, and medicare with only an income of 1581 a month. I'm positive thier mortgage payments are more than that. What would they tell thier children?
    Sorry we can't eat tonight because mom needed meds? I doubt it.
    Once again, it is the working class who are getting the short end of the stick.

July 21, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  30. SandraWI

It's the healthy against the unhealthy, the rich against the poor. I have a chronic disease that is treatable but will probably kill me before my time because i'm too poor to afford adequate health insurance. I've met so many people with pre-existing conditions that don't have insurance and their health has declined. I'd LOVE Nationalized Health Care so I can be a productive part of society again, as would many of the people I know but it's hard when the rich keep breaking you down.

July 21, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  31. Melissa

I just love how so many American can totally ignore the fact that the majority of Americans without health care coverage are just plain home grown American people who work five days a week or more just like everyone else but still can't afford health care.

And they do it to justify their own hatred and bad behavior.

Enough is enough. Its time to stop being selfish. Its time to have national health care.

July 21, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  32. Kevin Joubert

Why is it That Canada has coverage for every Citizen and we don't? Lets adopt there health care program. Or are PAC money's from insurance company's and pharmaceutical company's controlling the playing field? Come on now enough is enough.

July 21, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  33. Tina Parsons

I have worked in the US, mostly in New York, Kentucky and Indiana. The past 20 years have marked an amazing decline in the services available to our Nation. For the past 2 years, I have worked overseas in India and the UAE, and the costs and benefits of overseas health care are amazing. Give me an email for more details... parsons.tinalynn@gmail.com. FYI... It was a life saver to wake up in India and wake AC 360 as I prepared for work! Thanks for all the great reporting! T. Parsons

July 21, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  34. Obama=disaster

Penny from SC – I am far from rich and I am saying hell NO! Next idiotic observation??

July 21, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  35. Lori

Health reform isn't a class issue. Health insurance is tied to employment mainly. If you are not willing to work and either get it through an employer or be in business and pay for it yourself, then you do not have it. Why do people expect something for nothing?

July 21, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  36. Julie

Hi Barb in Las Vegas,

Here's why you don't want to be left alone, even if you have coverage: having a two-tiered system (employees who have "jobs with benefits" vs. the self-employed or unemployed) is just going to encourage the insurance companies to keep overcharging the employers who provide the coverage to you.

Better to have one system, available to all, regulated by the government that offers a fair rate and doesn't discriminate because you didn't win the genetic lottery.

Be happy you have coverage for now. A monthly premium on a policy for a married couple (no children) is running about $850 a month.

July 21, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  37. MkIndiana

I would like to know how many of the 178 million that have insurance that is through work [164 Million] or self paid [14 Million], are for and against Universal Healthcare.

When healthcare treatment is declined for financial reasons and all the tools are readily available to help, something is wrong.

July 21, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  38. Koral Mae from Shelton, WA

My goodness. No wonder we're having such a convoluted debate about healthcare in this country...because no one understands what they're debating! (Please, look up "public option.")

Remember when Americans were proud because we were so inventive & enterprising? Remember being proud because we were #1? Well, what is there to be proud of about being ranked 37th among industrialized nations when it comes to access to and quality of health care?!? Come on, we're better than that. We're AMERICANS.

If government run health insurance (which, by the way, all of your legislators have enjoyed very nicely throughout their careers without complaint) is so laden with mismanagement and red tape, HOW IS IT EXACTLY THE REPUBLICANS SAY IT WILL PUT THE PRIVATE HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY OUT OF BUSINESS? They can't have it both ways.

July 21, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  39. Anais

What I want to know is, under the health care reform plan, who can I see when I get sick? How limited am I in choice of care? Perhaps I am being cynical, but I find it hard to believe that a national plan, which can potentially be bloated, will be able to pay for the best quality care available.
    For those of us with compromised health, we often have to turn to good specialists. Can I go straight to a specialist without being referred by a general practioner? I don't want to be limited as to who I can and can not see when I am sick. A national health care plan may be great for those with good health, but for those of us with poor health, to whom the quality of care is extremely important, what are our options?
    Health insurance is more expensive for the sick, and the sick will be tempted to turn to the national plan. I fear that doing so we will endanger our health by settling for cheaper, inferior health care.
    A doctor may be as good as any other for the flu, but try telling that to the dying, or the parents of extremely ill children.

July 21, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  40. pamela alford

I get health care through medicare/medical. I am disabled, can't walk, constant pain. I worked all my life and paid into SSD as did my husband. He died from cancer, he had medical from his time in the Marines. My taxes went into the fund that give me health care now.

My drug prescriptions for 6 months was $4,464. 50. I make SSD $764.00.
    Without medicare I would be living in agony. I wouldn't be able to go to the doctor or have any of the operations that I have had.

I worked jobs that didn't have medical insurance and then they would closed their doors and go overseas because it was cheaper. On to the next and it was the same.

The town that I live in has over 18% unemployment and many are trying to just put food on their table and don't have the money to go to the doctor when needed.

If we had a decent health care program many problems could be prevented before the blow up to be serious programs. I understand that people with insurance don't to be mess with but put it in your head that your insurance can be pulled at any time if your company wants to tighten their belts. It's not coming from the top, it will effect the workers.

Health care reform will benefit the whole country. When people can go to the doctor without worrying if they can afford to go will pay back to the system by taking care of people they will be more productive and businesses increase their output.

July 21, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  41. penny fron S.C

"Cantor, AND the GOP,and some democrats are such classless acts, that is why the HEALTH REFORM BILL is now a class issue because the wealthy say they need a health reform bill. It also says that the GOP have no class. They have gone crazy over money. I have to ask what did they do before they got a little money because you can tell they are not wealthy because they do not understand that compassion will TRUMP their conservative ideology."

July 21, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  42. Anthony Ching

Obama needs to realize he can't change the health care system overnight. It's going to take time, so take it slow and easy so you
    get it right.

July 21, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  43. Barb from Las Vegas

I don't want my current coverage messed with. I read that if co-pays change, this opens the door for changing policies. For people who have coverage-LEAVE US ALONE-NO LOOP-HOLES!

July 21, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  44. penny fron S.C

"Health Reform has become a class issue. The rich are are saying "NO". The wealthy are saying it is a good thing. That is saying the rich are classless"

July 21, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  45. RLWellman

Why do we have to pay for illegal aliens to have health care? Why should they receive free health care for illegally being in the United States? Why should they receive our Social Security benefits?

Where is the trillion dollars coming from to pay for this program? Why isn't the Government signed up to receive this health care plan for themselves? Why do they continue to think they are our bosses?

July 21, 2009 at 3:11 pm |