July 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the anchor desk 7/15/09

Tonight we’re following the latest in the double-murder of Melanie and Byrd Billings, a Florida couple known in their community for adopting special-needs children. The Billings were shot to death in their nine-bedroom home last week. The investigation has been heating up.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jacqueline

good evening Anderson

July 15, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  2. JOSH

It is sad. I hope that the police bring the suspects to justice.

July 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

As much as I love animals. The doggie duds, in particular the swimsuits, are not cutting it for me!

July 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Cathy

We surely do...I am glad you are the one to ask them. I would get frustrated.

July 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The poor kids are left behind now without parents are they with other family now ? I can't understand why all these poeple did this robery there were a lot of suspects

July 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Heather - Spokane, WA

I feel sorry for those dogs in that show. Clothing does not belong on dogs unless they have no hair at all and live in cold climates

July 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Elsa

Its just a saddening and moving story that the 13 children, who were cared for deeply by their parents are now left alone. There are so many questions to answer regarding the death of their parents, but regardless, these children are won't have their parents back.

July 15, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Tiffany in Denver

What the heck does my dog need a swimsuit for? LOL.

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Maureen T, Canada

So Anderson, you wouldn't dress your dog in an evening dress for dogs? 🙂

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Mia

Has anyone said why the couple in Florida were killled? So sad.

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, I fear that we will never figure out what is going on...I do hope that I'm wrong though! It is so sad and those poor kids that are now without parents....my heart goes out to them!

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Nina

How are the kids doing?

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Anderson, no there are way too many questions to know what's going on. Do you get the impression from the sheriff that he knows a lot more than he's disclosing?

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Taunya

Hi Everyone....

Such a shocking story from Florida. My brother and his family have lived in Pensacola for 15 years and I've visited there many times...such a great place! Everybody is always so friendly.
    Hopefully they do have everyone involved and the area and family a pull together to get thru this.

Taunya – Hershey, PA

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  15. John B, Manhattan Beach, CA

Interesting that Mr. Morgan would make the comment that they have "no reason whatsoever" to take a closer look at the victims. I get the whole victim's rights angle, but if they try to sell this as simply a robbery gone bad, it's not going to fly.

Hope you'll keep 'em honest, Anderson.

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Rebekah

oh my god! i can't believe the video from the tanker crash in Detroit. i just got home from a Green Day concert in Detroit a few hours ago! i hope no one was hurt!!!

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Carolyn Danley

These murders in Florida are horrible,and there need to be justice, but the police are making this very confusing.

July 15, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Steve - southern Illinois

More dogs! Less murderers!

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  19. noel

if the thieves had mask on, how did they know who to arrest ,suspect?
    and my second question if the plead that gonzalez jr made in the interview about having consideration for him, why he didnt have consideration for other people?
    i think they all should have the death penalty

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

@AC...NOPE. More behind the scenes than we can imagine at this point.

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Robert Haney

Anderson: One of the main reasons that the Billings family was probably killed was they had recognized one or several of the intruders. One or several of the intruders may have worked at the home at one time of another. Just a thought.

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hi Anderson
    why didn't they just steal whatever they wanted and not kill any one it doesn't make sense .

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Rydell-Texas

Have any family members or close friends been in question?

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Stephanie-Alexandria,Va

@ JoAnn-they knew about cameras-someone was to disconnect them and didnt! hence the new arrest!

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  25. andersoncnn

sorry, i posted that question, before reading your comments.. clearly a lot of you have questions.

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Cathy

AC, I can't believe the murders were just about money. I also think the DEA is involved more than the sheriff admitted to...

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Clinton Faupel

Why did the Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial just now get released? Where has it been?

July 15, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Angela

Anderson, thanks for getting on with real news. Enjoyed the Obama Ghana interview and looking forward to the story on Michelle's ancestors. Interesting question about the memory of slavery today. It's something most whites will not comprehend. To me, the memory and impact is a hole in the soul that can never be filled.

July 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Candice W. Georgia

Thanks AC360 for showing my question on your show! I love you, Anderson!

July 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Minou, New York City

Did the drivers of the tankers survive???

July 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Frank in Westmoreland, NY

How did the perpetrators gain the knowledge of the existence of the safe? I realize that when formerly working as a builder in upstate NY that several upscale residences have a safe or a surreptitious space incorporated in them to hold valuables. But this rather involved crime, dictates that the perpetrators were absolutely sure of its existence. Where did they have gained this assurance?

July 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. andersoncnn

evening everyone... these killings in florida are so sad.. and confusing.. i feel like we still dont really know what was going on, do you?

July 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Sabrina In Las Vegas

@Joann – I think that is why the tie of this woman. Working for the family and being the landlord of one of the suspects.

I think she is that piece you are looking for.

Tomorrow they will tell us.

July 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Nothing is simply when it is dealing with the life of crime.

July 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

I enjoyed Michael Jackson’s dancing and music, especially the production of “We are the world”.

I send best wishes to his family.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

July 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Lori from IL

This story is just too bizzare - it will be interesting to see exactly what all comes out once the trial begins - from what we've learned so far, the pieces just don't add up.....

July 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Jasmine

I think these thugs were just really bored and decided to rob a place. They saw the parents freaked and shot them. Honestly, the suspects are just your plain old stupid crooks that got scared.

July 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Great and informative interview with the Sheriff. It will be interesting to follow this case as it develops. It just seems like there is more to this than just a simple robbery...and of course, the ring leader is denying everything.

July 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Rebekah

I really can't wait to hear more about Michelle Obama's family history... it seems really interesting, but then again i'm a real history geek as it is anyway =]

July 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Charlene hadley

People are crazy they will do anything for money , they will kill even when they don't have to . Anderson I love watching your show u are the best .

July 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Steve - southern Illinois

Human life doesn't have much value to too many people these days.

July 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I hear that all of the children are with family members and will be raised together.God bless who ever has taken them into their home and their heart.

July 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Mando, Laredo,TX

Good Evening AC and all from the Lone Star State

July 15, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Minou, New York City

Interesting interview with the sheriff. I bet he doesn't get much sleep these days.

July 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Sarah in FL

Hi Anderson

I live near Pensacola, so this is not just a " Story" to me. These are real people, with friends & family. Pensacola has been shocked & saddened by this horrible crime. It is hard for me to watch the news & see the town near which I live smeared all over the airwaves. Pensacola is a wonderful place to live. Crimes such as this are an anomaly.

Thanks,
    -Sarah

July 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I have to wonder if someone had information about the Billings' home why didn't they know about the security cameras?

July 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. David, Indiana

Images from the security cameras are creepy. So any alarms were disabled but not the cameras? Are the feeds from the camera's monitored by a security firm?

July 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Annie Kate

Hopefully the video survelliance will nail the case shut on and enable Florida to close the case quickly. These people need to at least be behind bars for a lifetime.

July 15, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm glad that CNN got this interview with Sheriff Morgan...it was very informative! Thanks, 360!

July 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Miriam from Philly

Hello all. WHY? There is no why. Nothing can justify this. Money? PLEASE. Couldn't they just rob, take the money and run??

July 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |