July 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the anchor desk 7/15/09

Tonight we’re following the latest in the double-murder of Melanie and Byrd Billings, a Florida couple known in their community for adopting special-needs children. The Billings were shot to death in their nine-bedroom home last week. The investigation has been heating up.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, Somebody who had intimate details of the Billings' home, their safe, and their finances must have informed these criminals.

July 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Stephanie-Alexandria,Va

and there may be 2 more????????? what gives??
    What possess people to do this??? and thank Anderson for asking our questions????????

July 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Rafael Bronx,NY

Hey there everybody and good evening Anderson

July 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

OK, now I can hardly wait to hear what the other motives. From the beginning David Morgan has led us to believe there is a LOT more to this than we can imagine, at this point. I like David Morgan–cool, calm, articulate, on point, well-spoken....

July 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. LorenaR

@Casey Jones Palm Springs CA, yes i am wondering the same thing. and yet, was there a lot of money? the house looks palatial. too many question marks in this case.

July 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Gloria Oakland, CA

It hard to watch this unfold about the terrible killings in Florida. It is so sad.

July 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nice word from Sheiff!!! I like what he said to Anderson! Thank you David Morgan! 🙂

July 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Thank God we live in a tech age where cameras and video record everything and you will get caught if you are doing bad things.

It also protects us from the bad people...they don't want to get caught so they stay away.

July 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Vickie_AR

Did the Billings family know any of the suspects?

July 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Jasmine

@Penny, I think they had the alarm system for to track the children. since some were of special needs, and since children always wander off, they used the alarm system to make sure they knew where the children were. It's like a super expensive baby monitor.

July 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

Thank God those security cameras were not turned off

July 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Isabel• Brazil •

@ David, Indiana

So much evil and insanity makes me indignant.
    Why do people go mad and lose all sense of value that life have?
    Life is so good!

July 15, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I'm impressed 360 got this live interview with David Morgan. Congratulations.

July 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is so difficult to accept and understand when bad things happen to good people and the Billings seemed to be two of the best.

July 15, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Casey, that's what I was thinking. How much cash and jewlery did they expect to find to make it worthwhile for 8 people to split?

July 15, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Penny

Why did these people have such a big house and elaborate alarm system? Were they wealthy?
    Is it possible at all that they had drugs in the house or some other illegal activity?
    Why would these criminals know to attack them? Just asking.

July 15, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  17. LisaL - Canada

yes, lots of questions. there are a lot of potential theories – some make sense and some don't. i guess as facts do or do not reveal themselves, some of the theories will either prove or disprove themselves. but it doesn't really make sense.

July 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Jasmine

@Casey, there are some truly stupid people out in the world....I'm not surprised.

July 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  19. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Randi, Isabel. I find the murder of this couple in Florida incomprehensible. What was the reason for this? Money?

July 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

@Casey, I completely agree...however sadly money is what makes the world go round...or at least a lot of people think that! I think its a little ridiculous that people are willing to kill for any amount of money. I've always believed that no amount of money is worth a person's life.

July 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson. The more this story in Florida unfolds the more bizarre it's becoming...

July 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  22. sharon, sydney, ns

This case makes no sense. It sounds so terribly calculated. Buy why? Who could possibly have anything against these people. If they had to steal, steal. Why kill the parents? It sounds a bit Helter Skelterish. None of this makes sense. How much did they think they could get away with? The family consisted of 16 children, many with special needs. Unless I missed something after diapers, groceries, power, and water (to name only a few of the bills) there's not a lot left over.

July 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Miriam from Philly

Hi, Anderson and friends. There is a special place in hell for the murderers of this giving couple. The death penalty isn't cruel or unusual if it is equal to or less than what was done to the victims.

July 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Heather - Spokane, WA

Cute kids. This story makes me sick, to think that people would do something like this to 16 kids

July 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on tonight.
    It's hard to believe so many arrests for one horrible, senseless crime–especially when the original motive has been said to be robbery.

July 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. Another arrest in the Florida killings? How many more people were involved in this? My heart breaks for the children.

The Pepsi commercial released today really is difficult to watch. I can remember when the original video clips were released after the accident. In those clips, you do not realize just how bad it really was. No wonder Michael Jackson suffered so much pain.

July 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Stephanie-Alexandria,Va

Good Evening Anderson!!! and all bloggers!

Can't believe the turns the story continues to take! this has to be the sickest story! As a nurse I just cant believe why they would wanna kill them if you wanna rob them fine but to take them from their children and dev. challenged children that is just sicko!!!!!!! The world we live in is falling a part! Thank God the daughter is taking over! Gode lover her!!! Where have we gone wrong raising young????

July 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers: What's sad about the Billings murders is that it took all of 10 minutes to break in, get the safe, and kill two innocent people.

July 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Bless Ashley for keeping those kids together and keeping them happy and healthy! What a big undertaking...I can't imagine how she is getting through all of this!

July 15, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  30. michael v.

Hey AC just wanted to say rip michael we miss u so much god bless u and your children and family

July 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

How much money would you have to steal in order to make it worthwhile for 7-8 people? Money doesn't seem like a plausible motive, honestly. It just sounds stupid.

July 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kathy, Chicago
    I think they have steal their money, jewels or something really bad things to do murder couple. They break-in the house.

July 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello Everybody!

July 15, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

"People in Hell want ice water' -doesn't that ring true....

July 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Sabrina In Las Vegas

I'm tired of these con artists/evil people who will flat face lie to you....Madoff, my boss, these killers...etc.

We have to get rid of these people from our society permanently and then we can trust people for what they say (face value) again.

July 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Minou, New York City

Hi all.
    This story is getting stranger by the day!

July 15, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

"People in hell want ice water..." I need to write that one down.

July 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Jacqueline, NY

Good evening all!

What a bizarre story.

July 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my gosh!!!!!! I am really shocked police arrested Pamela L to murder the Billings! I am really furious at 8 people murdered the couple!

July 15, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Jasmine

@Kathy, the police say that there are multiple motives but they think that the main motive was robbery.

July 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Jasmine

this story gets more disturbing as it unfolds..... :/

July 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Rikki, Fargo, ND

@Kathy, I think they are mostly saying money...sadly isn't it always about money?

July 15, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I want to see a picture of the juvenile suspect. If a person (kid or whatever) is capable of committing murder, then I want his/her picture to be public. AND, I want to know who the parents are...

July 15, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson and all! Hope everyone had a great Wednesday!

I really hope that they get to the bottom of this horrible act of violence against this poor couple! Their kids definitely deserve to see justice brought for their parents.

July 15, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Kathy, Chicago

Hi AC! I keep missing why they were killed. Does anyone know?

July 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

Hi Anderson, 360 team, and all bloggers. The murder of this couple, leaving those kids without parents, is beyond horrible. No matter how you feel about the death penalty, you have to agree that this crime is what it's for.

July 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Jasmine

Hey sweet peeps! 😛

Hopefully your Wednesday was awesome. 🙂

July 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Randi Kaye, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    This afternoon, I turned on my tv and watch Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, They found interest of person, not arrest yet. My heart goes to their daughter and 16 children, My thought and prayers with Billings's families. 😦

July 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Isabel• Brazil •

Evening Anderson!
    Evening David (Indiana) and friends!

What a day! At least here ...

July 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone. Two more days until Friday!

July 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm |