June 22nd, 2009

Evening Buzz: Deadly Subway Collision

At least six people were killed when two subway trains collided near Washington, a Metro representative said.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

We're following breaking news out of Washington, DC where two Metro subway trains have collided killing at least six people and injuring at least 76 others. One of the dead was the operator of one of the trains.

The accident happened during the evening rush hour on the Red Line in the District of Columbia, near the border with Takoma Park, Maryland.  We'll have the latest details on the crash.

We're also following new developments from Iran. There were more protests in Tehran today with riot police and the pro-government Basij milita confronting demonstrators. A vigil was to be held in memory of Neda, a young woman whose death was caught on camera over the weekend. Tonight, we'll have the latest on her murder. See how Neda has become a symbol of the struggle in Iran

And, we'll have raw politics of the uprising. There are calls for Pres. Obama to take action. Do you think he should? Sound off below.

And, in South Carolina the governor has disappeared. Vanished. No one has reportedly spoken with Mark Sanford since Thursday. Not even his wife or children. Not even on Father's Day.

Join us for all this and more starting at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Patricia Russell

Why is it that only after tragic accidents that we ask why??//
    We have preventative medicine why not preventative accident
    I guess lots of people have to die before we repair defective equipment!!!!!!!!!!

June 23, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  2. sam lewis

in my commute to work, every day i have too take two buses and one train, and the operators are very attentive as to how to do their job. accidents do happen, even though ive been very fortunate thus far not to have been in any kind of accident, i as well as any body who rides public transportation knows that anything goes. from accidents to robberies, to harrasment, to violence. my prayers go out to them all, and may god bless.

June 23, 2009 at 2:51 am |
  3. Nancy

Having just tucked my 10 year old son into bed after our 5 day whirlwind tour of Washington, DC, I was shocked to hear about the Metro crash. Of all the monuments, museums and even the sight of President Obama in his limo driving past us about 40 feet away, Sam's favorite part of our trip was riding all over on the Metro. We were helped so many times by patient, kind, dedicated and knowledgable Metro employees and at 5p today, we were just stepping off the Red Line at Union Station to catch the MARC train to BWI for our flight home. As a family who experienced the premature death of my husband and my son's dad just over two years ago, I wish to extend my deepest condolences to the families of the lost and injured passengers and Metro employees.

June 23, 2009 at 12:05 am |
  4. DC Tony

I live in Vienna and use the metro regularly. I've always felt this day would come. It is not uncommon to hear the conductor state, "step away from the doors, we got a train right behind us!!". During rush hour people are always trying to get into an already overcrowded train while the doors are closing. This causes other trains to either slow down or stop on the track to delayed departure of the train at the platform. There is too much technology available to have these types of rail accidents in this day and age.

June 22, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  5. Jim Duffy

I'll bet the first prayer the DC officials offered was for those involved in the wreck. And, the second was that the operator of the second train was not cell phoning/texting/twittering.

June 22, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  6. robert

It was only a matter of time i was on a train that broke down for an hour today on the orange line 4 hours before it happened. last summer a train derailed under the Potomac. There are so many break down weekly the system must be flawed somehow

June 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  7. Dustin Furseth

So sad, fault aside, I feel terrible for those involved and pray for those injured and the families of the victims. Let's hope this never happens again... let's fix the problems.

In the meantime while we sort out the mess, I hope this doesn't discourage riders from the system; trains, subway and other rail are by far the safest and most efficient means of transportation in the country.

Remember the alternative: Every day 119 people die on American roads and highways — more than 40,000 each year! this frightening number needs more attention!

June 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Amy

One week ago today I was on vacation there with my family...riding the metro train... I am so sad to hear today on what happened...my thoughts and prayers are with everyone...

June 22, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Show sounds like it has a good line-up with the train wreck, Iran, and then the story on the SC governor. That is certainly unexpected and surprising – I hope nothing bad has happened to him.

As for your question, I think Obama ought to do what the other world leaders are doing – issue a statement and then keep out of Iran's business. The US does not have a good track record in picking who to back in other countries so we should let the Iranian people resolve this themselves – it is their country and their election.

June 22, 2009 at 10:13 pm |