June 18th, 2009

Photo Gallery: The refugee crisis around the world

Program Note: Tune in tonight for special coverage of World Refugee Day tonight at 10 p.m. ET. And learn more about how you can help by visiting Impact Your World.

Saima, age 12, carrying her 10-month-old sister Sana. They walked 20 kms across mountain paths to escape fighting in their village.

A displaced child in the Chota Lahore camp, Swabi District, Pakistan.

This child, weary and pale, has lost his appetite after a long journey away from home. His mother, Khanum Jan (age 23) worries for her nine children: "Added to our miseries I do not understand the reason why my children have lost their appetite," she frets.

Many children in the IDP camps have eye infections due to the hot weather and the unsanitary environment in which they now live.

A displaced girl now living in a host community, facing everyday challenges.

Imam, one of 37 others that fled fighting and took refuge in Rizwar Ali's home.

Displaced woman affected by Cyclone Nargis, Myanmar

Filed under: 360° Radar • Impact Your World
  1. green12310

the question right now, is not 'what should they do? why they haven't done anything!?' It should be, 'what should I do? have I done anything?'

June 19, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  2. Camille

HELP THE REFUGEES IN AMERICA FIRST WE CAN NOT HELP OTHERS UNLESS WE HELP OURSELVES FIRST. On an airplane they instruct us all to do so, first put on your safety jacket before helping someone else cause if you dont you could perish in the middle of helping the pther person. I am not racist, bigotted or anything like that I am actually a victim of that stuff. But we are not paying attention. Why are we so willing to give billions to people who wont help themselves. Supposedly God helps those that helps themselves....what happened to that...OH I know we are in bed with people all around the world so cant help the molested and raped children here or the millions of uninsured, homeless people in the US. 300 Million verses 6.9 billion...you do the math. Save the US first NOW

June 19, 2009 at 7:24 am |
  3. theodora beltson

Looking at these refugee photos, poignant spots of time and suffering, invites the viewer to either connect with the critical refugee issues or to negate the urgency of addressing this crisis. I recall the words of Jesus, "I was hungry and you didn't feed me."

Tomorrow I will share these poignant photos with my inner city middle school students as we address the question, "what does it mean to be a human being?"

June 19, 2009 at 1:59 am |
  4. nb in reno,nv

Being a mother of three, it saddens me a great deal to see these refugee children ..if it was possible i would love to adopt few . Where can i get some information? I have lived in the states for over 25 years and am originally from Pakistan, married to an American here. We count our blessings and pray for them.

June 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  5. Dani

Tho both my husband and I lost our jobs and are struggling greatly, I will now be aware and no longer use the phrase "We have nothing!" Even if we lose our home, we do not have it like these poor people. My God! I can't fathom being starved like the woman in the last picture or having eye infections and hungry and scared and displaced like these poor children! I will include them in my prayers. Not to sound like a bad person, I'm not, I do believe this question is fair and valid so please no attacks,but the one woman is 23 years old with 9 kids. WHY? If you can't afford food, water, clothes, housing, medical etc WHY would you have 9 kids who now must suffer? Its irresponsible, selfish and wrong. I am sure they didn't plan on all this hate and evil to break out, but they were not in a better position before this I assume so why would somone so young have so many kids? How unfair to those poor babies! I will keep them in my prayers!

June 18, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  6. melinda

Everytime I see pictures and hear stories of these poor refugees, it makes me want to just strive harder in college so I can earn my degree and help as much as I can.

June 18, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  7. David Smith

Perhaps it is the will of a higher power that we find a way to help our brothers....

June 18, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

It breaks my heart to see children in pictures like this – we are so blessed in this country and know so little of the deprivation these children live with every day. Unfortunately they, like the poor, will probably always be with us.

June 18, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  9. Collin

imaging if these were your family..... what would you do?

June 18, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  10. Collin

And no one really makes the real effort to change anything. Has the world gone Krazy ;-(

June 18, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  11. Sara in MN

What can we do to help? Adopt foreign children? Send money? We make attempts with our political votes but the systems are so intertwined that even the most "powerful" elected officials can't put an end to this without war/death of many. What is the answer?

June 18, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  12. Charlie Erickson

Seeing sad young faces should hurt everyone. It does me.

The photo of the elderly woman, made me flashback to my time in
    Viet Nam.

The combination of the young and old in this gallery, reminded me of the kind Montagnard people of the Central Highlands, who were caught in the middle of the contrasting sociopolitical ideologies, of the south and north.

Charlie.

June 18, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  13. charmichael

Terrible, horrible.

June 18, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  14. Sharon Dunten

Take your eyes off your computer, iphone and microwave for 30 seconds and realize there are people seeking shelter, food and dignity just for one day.

June 18, 2009 at 7:12 pm |
  15. ROY ROGERS OLDENKAMP

My mother was a French refugee from the Nazi occupation of Paris. She marched days and days, with only roots from the side of the road for sustenance. That was 1942. That this suffering continues does her-and all of us- a tremendous disservice. Human compassion is our most sacred trait. Let's spread the love.

June 18, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  16. Eugenia - San Francisco, Ca

sometimes it kills me to look at coverage like this because I know how spoiled my children are. I try telling them but they can not fully grasp it.

June 18, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  17. An

The pictures look so too sad, through these understandings of poeple's hurtness are getting more stronger. Prayings to God somedays the sadnesses and hurtnesses are eliminated.

June 18, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  18. DRNLV

I feel so completely "BLESSED"

June 18, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  19. Minou, New York City

We cannot imagine what it is like to experience what these people experience. They've lost everything in their past and can't see their future.
    The kids are always the hardest hit because they don't understand what is happening and why.

June 18, 2009 at 5:42 pm |