June 9th, 2009

Is there a case for medical marijuana?

AC360°

Is there a case for medical marijuana?

Tune in next week for an AC360° special, America's High: The Case For and Against Pot.

We’ll break down the debate over marijuana in the United States – from the cases for and against legalization, to whether it’s helped medical patients and why - or why not.

So what do you think? Is there a case for medical marijuana?

Anderson will talk with Melissa Etheridge, who says medical marijuana helped tremendously during her battle with cancer.

Do you have questions for her? What would you like Anderson to ask?

Let us know and Anderson may bring it up in the interview.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper • Medical News
  1. Barbara Mowery

i am a 12 year breast cancer survivor. after a mastectomy, chemo, bonemarrow transplant and 31 radiation treatments i feel i have a good answer for this. YES it should be given to cancer patients. I took it in the form of a pill named MARINOL after my weight of 165 had fallen to 113 and i could not eat or stand the smell of food. I took it about 2 weeks and awoke one am starving to death and told my hubby to get to Mc Donalds and get me a biscuit and sausage.So if anyone with this horrible disease can get any kind of relief from it why would anyone not want them to have it? BARB

July 1, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  2. shore65

I would be willing , and have started the process of obtaining a medical marijuana card in the state of Colorado. i have taken the first step and would be willing to blog about it, there are already interesting barriers i never expected from the begining. Availabilty of your own medical records seems to be a mirage of charges and fees. this, i think touches the very accesabilty and digitation of all records that Obama proposes. But now, they are charging $14 for 1-10 pages...a certain amount between 10 thru 30 microfiche is $1.50 per page. I asked appauled and said. "what if i have 2000 pages of records?, and what information is on each page? i was unable to get a better than "i dont know"
    this is a testament to the lack of accountability and records that seem to float in space saying what ever they want "THIER MY RECORDS!" and i may be charged a fortune to just hold them in my hand
    i havent even tried to goto the clinic for consultation yet trying to obtain another approach. Mr cooper, if you would like to hear of my journey through this let me know
    Phil

June 22, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  3. BeStrong

YES!! As a person with chronic pain. I am totally for legalizing the prescibing of Medical Marijuana. The states that do allow it, must stop bothering the people that it has been prescribed to. How can you have the Rx and not be allowed to use it all in the same state? No Brainer!! If it can stop some of the pain, if it can help some to have an appetite that otherwise wouldn't be able to eat, how can it be a bad herbal suppliment?

June 22, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  4. Mike

Maybe we aren't ready for all of the good thhings yet? Maybe our generation isn't worth it, better off in jail or probation. Or just ignored completely. This is kind of how Iran would do it to. Legalize now. No more drug dealers! make them get a job too!!!!!

June 22, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  5. Brandi

I know many people that smoke. I just recently quit using myself but that was by choice and now that i quit i realize how much stress it did take off me in a day. I will never understand if they dont legalize it because it would make so much more room in the prisons for people that deserve to be there for worse reasons than pot possesion thats dumb. I say lets pay and smoke without being scared of gettin in trouble. Legalize it obama

June 16, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  6. Ben

Did anyone else watching find it odd that the girl, who said she fell victim to pot and became suicidal, said they'd give her free grams and free edibles just for 'being a good patient'; however, when Anderson Cooper was wrapping up his piece he said they don't give away free taste testers. I am a medical marijuana patient for a number of reasons, and think that the show that girl put on was despicable. She portrayed the dispensary/ wellness center as being some pushy dealer that was making her spend her money. Not to mention if she was spending 1000 a month on her medicine and only smoking 7 to 8 joints a day she is smoking NO WHERE NEAR 1000 dollars, she is more like 250-350 or so a month at that rate. Every dispensary I've been in has been a good price for medicine (well almost every) and I have never seen them giving away free medicine. Please CNN, do a piece on the real users like Melissa Etheridge, and show the help it brings. My back does not allow me to live a normal life on the day to day WITHOUT medicine of some kind. Pills make me feel groggy and the side effects make me feel like someone else- while marijuana allows me to live my life and ease the pain I feel. Thank you though for the unbiased reporting, even if you had to find someone I question as to legitimately having a problem with marijuana for the negative.

June 16, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  7. Chris

"Lisa" became suicidal because of Marijuana and was "addicted" to it.

After we sit through this piece, we find out she's now on Lithium.

Using people with psychiatric issues to prove Marijuana is "dangerous" is a pretty sad stretch.

She obviously has issues, and it wasn't marijuana's fault. Doc just don't hand out Lithium to the average person.

Try again.

June 16, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  8. Lynn

Please legalize it. My daughter's psychiatrist told her and me that if she could use marijuana a few times a week she would no longer have to take highly addictive prescription clonazepam for anxiety and panic attacks. He said it would also help relax her so she could sleep without having to take ambien or lunesta. She was arrested for possession. She is not a criminal. She is sick and this wonderful plant can help her.

June 15, 2009 at 10:33 pm |