June 3rd, 2009

The risks of reporting around the world

Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi was released from prison in Iran last month

Throughout the world,  journalists face detainment, kidnapping and even execution for their work. In 2008, the Committee to Protect Jounalists (CPJ) reported 125 cases of imprisonmnent  and in 2009 so far, CPJ has confirmed the deaths of 14 journalists in eight countries.

To learn more about individual cases, visit CPJ's website.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Global 360°
  1. Martina Ilstad Germany

What is the job of a journalist?Telling storrys and facts,They only have their voice,their cameras and their pictures.If goverments our any politicyl or criminale people fight again journalist,try to make them stopp speaking or watching ,and then of course telling the wold what they see,than this people fight again all of us.Journalist are guarantors for the free wold!

June 4, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  2. Jordan Dillow

At the same time, a journalist who is ready to enter zones where free press is restricted should also be a journalist who is ready to face the consequences of their actions. Real journalism isn't a job – it's a lifestyle.

June 3, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  3. Joanna

I am truly amazed that journalists are not backed up by their own governments, and that other governments appear to have free reign over foreign journalists. I understand the sovereignty issue, but journalists should be treated under some type of international laws since they travel internationally doing very special work.

June 3, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  4. kathryn

I agree with Liz above, but would or do countries that kidnap, imprision, etc, follow and adhere to international law? How do you enforce codes of ethics and behaviors among parties that refuse to recognize them? And is the United Nations even viable or effective anymore?

June 3, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  5. Sergio Flores, Sweden

I understand perfectly what Liz says. I know that Anderson can testify about the dangers about being a reporter on the field. I know this first hand... I been shot at, bombed and arrested more times than I wish to remember. Unfortunately, there will always be governments and individuals who dont want the truth out. And that's the reality and the job of my fellow journalists around the world, who put their lives on the line every day, just to do so. To shed light on reality and truth. And no laws can protect us as of now. Sad but true.

June 3, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  6. Liz

It's a shame that journalists face kidnapping and killing for doing their work to provide information to the world. I wish their were more laws in place to protect journalists from those governments that do not allow a free press.

June 3, 2009 at 6:22 pm |