June 2nd, 2009

Formal royal, Riverdance star among plane's missing

The front page of a Brazil newspaper reports on the disappearance of the plane's 228 passengers and crew.

CNN

The disappearance of an Air France flight from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to Paris, France, remains a mystery, but those involved in the search said it is likely that the plane's 216 passengers and 12 crew members are dead.

1 of 2 Among those on board were a member of Brazil's former royal family, a one-time performer with the Riverdance troupe, a Rio city official, executives from major international companies and an 11-year-old British schoolboy.

Pedro Luis de Orleans e Braganca, 26, was a descendant of the family that ruled Brazil until 1889, a branch of the former Portuguese royal family. The Orleans and Braganca family considered him to be fourth in line to the throne. Pedro Luis was the oldest son of Prince Antonio and Princess Christine, the family said. He was the only member of the family on the flight, his relatives said.

Eithne Walls, who danced with with Riverdance on Broadway, was also on the plane, said Julian Erskine, senior executive producer of the troupe.

Keep reading

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. henock ahmed

very sad ,may god be with there families and friends.

June 3, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  2. Jen, USA

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of Flight 447. My mother and sister were in Italy at the time of this tragic accident. When I first heard about the accident I cried for hours knowing my mother and sister were scheduled to fly out that night. I was almost certain they were on that flight, until my sister sent me a text letting me know they were okay. I am very relieved they are safe, but my heart goes out to all of you that have lost in this. I lost my father, and two sons 6 &1 yo, and my third son now 4 yo survived a tragic plane crash a year ago. My life will never be the same. They say everything happens for a reason. My love goes out to all of you at this time. Faith is the strongest live line out there.

June 3, 2009 at 2:24 am |
  3. john

when reporting the murder of the u.s. marine why did you label him as islamic terrorist. was the murder of dr. tiller a christian terrorist?

June 3, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  4. Samuel Kabiru

To the families of all those thought to have perished in the crash, we are with you in prayers. Rest in peace.

June 3, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  5. Juliana

There are no words to describe how deeply sad this event is. My heart is broken to know that so many lives are lost, including many from my home country Brazil. My heart and prayers go to all the passengers and their families..

June 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  6. Charles M. DeLettre

This is a very terrible tragedy which affects so many people from two
    international major countries, France and Brazil but also many other
    locations probabbly around the globe of the 228 aboard. Our prayers
    are with the families and the recovery effort crews and personnel who
    are bravely facing dangerous conditions to find the remains of the wreckage. I live in n.e. Florida, but my family has a French heritage, and ancestory from Bordeaux. We in the US are definitely affected and
    touched by this major air human loss. It is good that Brazil, France,
    along with our country and others are helping in the search for the crash site in the soutnern Atlantic.

June 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Isabel, Brazil

Redeem me: the picture is cool, but the contents of the Extra newspaper is not the best, no!

June 2, 2009 at 9:23 pm |
  8. Isabel, Brazil

Supplementing: Official Extra newspaper and is a simpleton with questionable content.

Comments from my husband (Juan Siaba): this is one of the worst newspapers here ... this picture doesn't match with AC360

June 2, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  9. Isabel, Brazil

But it was also shocking to me to see the cover of the newspaper Extra in the website of Anderson Cooper.

All these months I 'frequent' the AC site daily, I never imagined this picture. Newspapers Extra in AC360!

June 2, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  10. Edward K Ndungu

a whole plane disappeared? i didnt know they had projects in Rio

June 2, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  11. Isabel, Brazil

It's very sad to know a little history of passengers. Some were working, others were a pleasure ... broken lives and families destroyed

June 2, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  12. Annie Kate

Its sad when this sort of accident happens. I just hope it was quick and the passengers did not have time to realize what was happening to them. A lot of promise and potential was lost with that plane – to me that is the saddest thing about people dying young – they never got a chance to tap into their potential and do what they wanted to do with their lives.

June 2, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  13. Shelby Robertson

This is a terrible tragedy! My heart goes out to these families.

June 2, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  14. Alyzabeth

Too sad for words when things like this happen.

June 2, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  15. Randy Thomas

What is there really to say about such a sad event? May they all forget their last moments in this journey and go on to enjoy their next!

June 2, 2009 at 5:51 pm |