June 2nd, 2009

Feinstein on Sotomayor, abortion and "Latina"

Ted Banett
CNN Congressional Producer

Flagging a couple of key quotes from Sen. Dianne Feinstein after her meeting late today with Sotomayor.

First, on abortion.  Feinstein says she talked “generally” about the subject with the judge and is comfortable that Sotomayor believes strongly in precedents – which basically is code for meaning she won’t overturn Roe.

“I think she’s a women who is well-steeped in the law and well-steeped in precedent and I believe she has a real respect for precedent and that was not just saying that and if that is really true then I will agree with her and I believe it is.”

The second is on the “Latina” comment.  Feinstein said Sotomayor told her it was a “poor choice of words.”

“She said obviously it was a poor choice of words if you read on and read the rest of my speech you wouldn’t be concerned with it but it was a poor choice of words.”

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Fed Up

If a white person had said what she did, they would have been forced to withdraw their name. It's the double standard that is the problem. All the excuse making by the Liberals does NOT change the bottom line. She will be confirmed since the Democrats are running the show. Anyone remember the hell that Clarence Thomas was put through by the Democrats?

June 3, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  2. SLM

What do you expect from Dianne Feinstein? This constant opinion giving from Liberals is nauseating. You can predict what they will say, so why does CNN try to "report" it as if it were some big deal?

June 3, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  3. Joanne Pacicca, Solvay, NY

What exactly did Sotomayor say that has brought such elaborate controversy? Is she deny her ethnicity? The job of a Supreme Court Justice is NOT to make law, but to interpret it.

I certainly hope that this shift in media attention changes soon. The vetting will be done...and some, are feeding on this foolish "racist" premise.

June 3, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  4. J.V.Hodgson

Appointing someone to the supreme court is important but please
    1) She is eminently qualified and legally has a superb CV both educationally and practically, which should be the major 70% criteria.
    2)The media cherry picking quotes out of context desrve only criticism.
    3) The concentration by politicians and media on her religious views or rather Abortion and gay civil union please ( not the emotive marriage) should be where they belong at the bottom of the list and relatively unimportant..
    I would never get nominated or elected because if asked about Abortion and gay civil union, my reply would be that's a personal matter to me and my conscience, but I will apply existing laws and statutes, same for whether I am a liberal, democrat or republican or independent answer... mind your own business I judge each case on the facts the law its merits and the constitution, not bigotry and bias which have no place in the law.
    Be fair media she has decided cases that appeal to republican ideas and the democratic ideas.
    Nuf said!!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

June 3, 2009 at 1:54 am |
  5. Glester

Who cares what Feinstein has to say.

June 3, 2009 at 1:31 am |
  6. Benigna Marko

I applaud Ms. Sotomayor perfectly accepting that she too is human. She has apologized for "...a poor choice of words" when it comes to the Latina comment. Now we should embrace level headed thinking and know she is human and at times she will rule and we just can't always agree with her. Can we?
    Benigna Marko

June 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  7. Chase

Why don't you guys do a story on Mark Levin's book "Liberty and Tyrrany." It has had great success and has been #1 New York Times bestseller for numerous weeks and yet to see any stories about it.

Chase

June 2, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

The statement of Feinstein's about precedence certainly seems to tap dance around the issue or does she always talk this way??

June 2, 2009 at 8:46 pm |