May 25th, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 5/22/09

Editor's Note: After Friday night's AC360, many of you commented on the First Ladies segment, saying that first ladies have always been influential but it’s the 24/7 news cycle that now makes the world more informed about them. What do you think?

On your show tonight someone was saying First Ladies are becoming more influential. I think they have always been influential, some- of course- more than others, but what has changed is the news coverage. Only in the last few decades has news coverage been 24/7. It began with the Queen's coronation, picked up speed with Charles and Diana's wedding and kept going from there. I don't know my history very well, but consider Eleanor Roosevelt. She was certainly a strong figure. I think Martha, older than George?, was a great influence on him. And wasn't it Abigail Adams- before women could vote, who whispered to her husband, "Don't forget the ladies." Also, First Ladies get to choose their projects. Presidents don't. Hillary Clinton was certainly an active and involved partner. Those are just a few, but wives can be very influential in many ways. Lincoln's wife's depressions often spurred him on, i believe. Just a thought....

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Col

OH NOT NOT AGAIN – AND I TRUSTED COOPER

No follow up, no explanation, not even a gentle inquiry – HERE WE GO AGAIN – A. Cooper you let Barbara Walters comment 'YES WE WERE TOUGHER ON THE MCCAIN INTERVEW" just sllllllllllllliddddddddddddeeee by!!! (So Joy could talk on and on and on )

WHY?? – those women with a view must have some (maybe idiotic- but anyway) explanation for themselves – besides ' we did it cause we could:"

Where is the FAIR in FAIR journalism on your part AND theirs? Just reinforces the no longer credible media circus we have in this country, Happened all through the election and continues.

May 26, 2009 at 9:22 am |
  2. Roger Durand

Andy: I want you to succeed, however, if you continue to spend at least one third of your broadcast time telling us what you are going to tell us, goooood-bye! Rog

May 26, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  3. William Goldman

Tonight's interview of Suzie Orman was surprising and disappointing. Suzie went so far as to say there is nothing she does not know about money. Wow Suzie! Now that you are infallible, you should be able to price yourself right out of the interview market.

May 26, 2009 at 12:37 am |
  4. JRQ

I am so sick of seeing our Military families living in low income everything. I hope Mrs. Obama has more say about helping the families.

Nice housing and better pay?

May 26, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  5. Barbara McCarron

I love the format and guests on the Memorial Day program 'Extreme Challenges'. The guests were interesting, polite, expressed diverse opinions without being strident and rude to each other. Keep up the good work and continue this caliber show!

May 25, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  6. tom harmon

my question during these hard economic times is why the taxpayers are giving money 20 to 40 billion dollars a year? to an industry that makes billions every quarter.

let them pay for their own reaseach and development. or let someone else find the energy solutions first and get the upper hand on them. businesses start looking for alternatives when it looks like someone else will beat them to it. why is the petroleuom industry any different?

now that they fear having their taxes raised we see a con job commercials showing what looks to b a crosssection of america? well guess what folks those commercials are made and paid for by the petroleum industry....not people concerned about the effects it may have by raising taxes on them.

our leaders are idiots! they lack even basic common sense!

put that 40 billion back into people's hand!

what a joke!

😦

May 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  7. mack land

Why does the President and U.S. Government not ask the American public to buy Saving Bonds? The debt of the U.S. should be held by American citizens not foreign governments. War bonds were sold during WW-I and WW-II. In this economic crisis, the purchase of Savings Bonds seems patriotic. Please ask your economic correspondents to give an answer.

May 25, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  8. sikh

hey anderson, its the 25 year anniversary of operation bluestar in india where the indian government attacked the sikhs holy temple and the sikhs were halocausted in 1984 and we still have seen no justice from nebody ? why does nobody care ? cuz we're not jews? why havent u had any insight on this yet..u tackle every other global issue? how come everybody has forgotten about us?

May 25, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  9. Tricia

As I walked around the school cafeteria to monitor students on testing day one of my 3rd grader's said "Good Morning Mrs. T.. You look nice, looking like Michelle Obama." I replied with a thank you, but as I walked off I chuckled and then thought to myself what a compliment. Now I'm no Michelle Obama, but to be compared to her in any way was a great honor. Mrs. Obama has only been the First Lady for a short time but she is already influencing the world. Like all of the first ladies that came before her, we look to our first ladies to set the example and to be the model citizen.

May 25, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  10. Heidi Ann Berg

I think you are right about they always have been but the world is looking for something new there hasn't really been one for awhile,I mean we still have Oprah ,and I think the world misses Diana

May 25, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  11. Ray

We continue to hear from the Republicans that the Bush Administration kept America safe for 7 years after 911.
    Why should Alkeida come to the US when they can kill more Americans in Bagdad than in 911

May 25, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  12. Caleigh Brooks

I'm listening with one ear to President Obama honoring the fallen and with the other ear I'm hearing the victims of violence against women.
    I think we all know that abuse comes in too many forms to list here. It's fantabulous that we are discussing it in the open in 2009. Years ago, even when there were abuse shelters for abused women, for instance, abused women didn't even know that they existed. This may still be true. Violence against women must be more in the limelight than it is. It will be again now in the forefront for awhile because of the abuse and alleged murder of Drew Peterson's wife. Why do we wait until a young woman is murdered before we discuss it?

A psychology major, I learned of some animal research that shows what happens to humans, male and female, who are physically and emotionally abused – it helps answer the age-old question why don't abused women leave the abusive relationships, besides the obvious reason – fearing for their lives. Because it is too long to write about here, I have published a concise, understandable, entry about this research on the blogcast: caleighbrookswatchingthewatchers.com This research that was done on animals years ago would not be done on animals today, for the obvious reason, because it would be considered animal cruelty!

Check out the above blogcast, it might help us look at violence against women from a different point of view, and understand it better!

May 25, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  13. Debbie Wiltse

Katrina victims are to be evicted from their FEMA trailers on May 30. They have nowhere to go. Once again we ask, where is our government? Are you going back to NOLA to cover this? Port Sulphur is where a lot of them are at this time.

May 25, 2009 at 10:59 am |