May 18th, 2009

Video: Farrah's Story

Susan Chun
AC360° Producer

The scenes are heartbreaking. Farrah Fawcett, an actress we all remember from the 1970s as the beautiful blond from Charlie's Angels, is back on TV, but in a very different role. Farrah is shown bedridden in a hospital gown, frail looking and moaning in pain. This is her story of her fight with anal cancer, in her own words.

Nearly 9 million people tuned in on Friday night to NBC to watch "Farrah's Story", a two hour documentary narrated mostly by Farrah herself but also includes interviews with her long time partner, actor Ryan O'Neal, her best friend Alana Stewart, and her doctors.

Farrah Fawcett says in the documentary she wanted to share the pain and anguish of cancer with as many people as possible, as a reminder that this is a serious and often deadly disease. The documentary shows everything from happy times with her family to Farrah revealing her bald head from chemotherapy. This clip shows Farrah in a German hospital undergoing painful treatments for the cancer that has spread to her liver. You can see how debilitating the treatment is on Farrah, she starts off laughing and joking with her doctor about never eating liver again, to lying on her bed, stricken with pain.

1. Teresa, OH

It is so important for anyone: if youre bleeding from somewhere you shouldnt be: get checked.

I think this video is wonderful of her to share. I wish her a miracle.

@Savannah: "to the fact that she was paid for this observation into her life." You think she did it for the money? Money she has, money cannot save her life. I think she wants to leave a view of the disease and the gift of Cancer's Truth to the world. And it is a gift.

May 19, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  2. Savannah

Even though I most certainly feel cancer is certainly an epidemic among things such as obesity in America and should not go unnoticed or untreated I can't help but not be naive in bringing attention to the fact that she was paid for this observation into her life.

May 19, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  3. Carol B. in MD

Okay. these are fighting words. To R.J. and Zena, somehow you are misinformed that "magical thinking" and a "raw diet" can scare off cancer! This woman is in the fight of her life and you minimize it with your thinly veiled criticisms. Sometimes the cancer is too aggressive, DNA intrinsically programmed, and takes no prisoners, whether or not you have had "luck" with it or "conquered" it has noting to do with the next person who is fighting a lonely and valiant battle. She may be surrounded by people that love her by she's still in the battle herself. Many people with serious or chronic illnesses feel this way. If you really believe that you can overcome anything, please read a (in my opinion) "quacks" book by L. Hays that BLAMES the victims of chronic or terminal illness. Way to go, lady. Good luck living forever.

May 19, 2009 at 8:34 am |
  4. lori longwell

Dear Farrah, Don't give up. You can beat this. I was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer in Nov. 07. I have undergone 3 surgeries, 2 bouts with the most intensive chemo there is, radiation, which almost killed me, resulted with sepsis which is blood poisoning, a colostomy which heled save my life. My cancer has also spread to my liver.. I have one more surgery to go. Liver surgery. In the next three weeks. My doctor's say I'm amazing and have told me that I will be cancer free. I believe them. They don't tell patients that unless they know. No death sentence. Not to say that it won't come back. But, I refuse to let this be my death sentence. I will live. A full life. So can you. Much love and strength to you. Lori Longwell

May 19, 2009 at 6:53 am |
  5. belinda

just wanted to tell farrah faucett that i love her she is a strong woman and to hang in there, i personaly did not get to know her but we are from the same town corpus christi texas, i also am a cancer patient , i have lung cancer, was treated with radiofrequency ablate.this february and dont know my fate but i am also trying to deal with this ugly diagnosed . god bless us all, linda

May 19, 2009 at 3:02 am |
  6. John Miller

In addition to the worthy points made about lack of treatments available to average Americans, and to the beautiful icon of a generation, I must add that this actress and icon made a decision more brave than any Hollywood superstar has ever made when she allowed us to see her truly as a human being. Farrah has always made groundbreaking choices, and this is another one of them. On top of it, the media has treated her worse than any other celebrity of superstar status that I can think of throughout her entire career. I offer her a standing ovation so high my feet lift off the ground in celebration of her court battle against the National Enquirer. From this point forward, I will conciously and intentionally avoid letting my eyes even recognize the existence of one of those magazines at a grocery store checkout. Farrah Fawcett lives as an example of an actor/actress who deserves to be treated like a normal human being, given decency and respect, regardless of today's trend that celebrities' private lives are suppose to be public as well. Farrah, you WILL live. We love you for all you have given us. Do you hear me?? You WILL live.
    John Miller
    Negley, Ohio

May 19, 2009 at 2:21 am |
  7. mj it

Two things bothered me. The scene where her son visits her and she seems unconscious while a camera is on her. That seems too invasive. Also don't know why they'd do another documentary. To put a camera on her while she's dying? There's a point when the people behind the camera (no matter how close they say they are) could be doing the very thing she doesn't want.

May 19, 2009 at 2:01 am |
  8. aarron vandaley

You know it is ashame when my mother raised 4 boys on her own, worked every low down dirty job that came her way to put food on our table, and you make this woman who what was on T.V. and lived a great life, look like a queen. Well let me tell you this, the gov. told my mom that she does not have enough money in to help her. It would only take one pill a day to help her but we cannot aford it, and the gov; wont help us. Now i have to watch my mother die when she gave all for me and you want us the american people to care for this woman, who lived such a good life. I grew up without a dad now i have to lose my mother because i dont have money. This country sucks, Barrack sould help us, he sould help all of us, pease help my mother. She too has an illness and yes she paid taxes all of her life, and so do i. I bet all the gov. people have benifets and they would give anyone of them the pill they needed to live, and not just let them die like a dog at an animal shelter.

May 19, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  9. Sarah "Not my real name"

Hi Larry,
    Can you please see to it that, Farrah Fawcett get these scriptures this is from the Bible, these scriptures talks about healing,
    (ISAIAH CHAPTER 53 Verse 5 ) IT SAYS HE MEANS (JESUS CHRIST )was wounded for transgressions and by his stripes we are healed.

(1st PETER 2 VERSES 24) WHO HIMSELF (JESUS CHRIST) BORE OUR SINS IN HIS OWN BODY, AND BY WHOSE STRIPES YOU ARE HEALED.

(PSALMS 118 VERSES 17) I shall not DIE, but LIVE and declare the works of the LORD.
    Larry, please I beg of you get this to her ASAP, what man gives over, with JESUS nothing is impossible. I watched her tonight and it breaks my heart to see her like this.

Jesus bless
    Sarah

May 19, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  10. Miss J

I agree with Roderick - I just think people are so soon to kill (sick) celebrities off. If tabloids were to be trusted, Patrick Swayze would be dead by now. They tried to kill him off at the beginning of '08! He's still going strong. I'm just saying that everyone thinking you're gonna die the next day cannot do wonders for your spirits. Farrah even said as much. I wish her and her family all the best and many more days together.

May 19, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  11. Nicky

Comment corrected spelling and stmt~

How brave of her to allow private homes and total strangers in, if only for a brief moment. If this doesn’t say to America our medical system is broken I don’t know what will! Washington bails out the rich and the those insurance companies with billions and yet there seems to be no funds for tax payers for good medical, where did the America go that I thought was here, I don’t get it!

May 18, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  12. David Hylton

When I first saw Farrah on TV, I was just a boy growing up in rural Arkansas. But I immediately realized I had just seen the most beautiful woman in the world. I watched Charlie's Angels almost religiously to see my favorite Angel. Even today, Farrah is still my favorite Angel and the most beautiful woman in the world. My heart is with her in her fight with cancer.

David
    Obuse, Japan

May 18, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  13. Zena (Toronto, Ontario)

Hi, I am not a doctor but if you can past this message to Farrah Fawcett herself or a friend of hers. It could save her life....cancer is a living life that feeds off the food we put in our bodies. If we can stop the cancer from feeding off the poison in our body...we can slow it down.

Many may not believe this but i have seen it work...if it were not for this book my mom would not be here enjoying her life with us...this book is her life right now...I have seen what it can do....just believe....

Recipes for Life from God's Garden by Rhonda J Malkmus. Awesome book. This is not a joke this is very serious.

May 18, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  14. Nicky

How brave of her to allow private homes and total strangers in, if only for a brief moment. If this doesn't say to America our medical system is broken I don't know what will! Washington bails out the rich and the those insurance compnaies with billions and yet there seems to be funds for the tax payer or good medical, where did the America go that I thought was here for us, I don't get it!

May 18, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  15. roderickjordan

Today, I got news from my doctor I am officially called "a cancer survivor" after a bout with lymphoma 8 years ago. I beat the odds by refusing to give up or even believe that I was truly sick, Farrah, you can do the same, laugh and joke, refuse to die and I will see you 8 years from now as another inspiring "cancer survivor".

May 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Nancy A. Scholl

This is beautiful, meaningful and selfless offering from Farrah. This is the most honest and detailed story of living with cancer that I have ever seenl. It is all the more impressive because Farrah is known for her beauty and acting talents. She is selfless and so wonderfully generous in presenting her life with cancer. I applaud her and thank her for being instumental in helping me face my own health issues. She is to be applauded for letting us have an example to follow when we face serious obstacles in our lives. Thank you, Farrah for your generosity. Nancy Scholl

May 18, 2009 at 10:33 pm |