April 30th, 2009

Do you have questions about the swine flu?

Submit your H1N1 (swine flu) questions for CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Dr. Carlos del Rio, Professor of Global Health at Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health. We'll give you answers tonight on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Public Health
  1. RAUL M

My question is can the swine flu be formed an passed around be the drug cartel retalation against the american and mexican fight against drugs?

April 30, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  2. Lori

Can this influenza be passed onto produce being delivered to the U.S. from Mexico?

April 30, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  3. Victoria Austin

I've heard that Tamiflu vaccine is helping. How much is "stock piled" and who will be getting access to it after front line health care workers?

April 30, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  4. Kim

What is the relationship between large, industrial pig farms and swine flu outbreaks? Dr. Gupta, you were looking into that relationship in Mexico.

April 30, 2009 at 9:23 pm |
  5. joanne

Why doesn't health care officials offer at home H1N1 swab testing which could be mailed to laboratories in a safe and secure packaging material? It seems like it would be less exposure to unifected patients at the doctors' office sitting in crowded waiting rooms.

April 30, 2009 at 9:23 pm |
  6. trisha s.

This is not only a question but a statement, since there are so many cases of the swine flu why doesn't the Government shut ALL schools down before there is a further spread of the swine flu!!!? As we all know children don't always wash their hands,cover their coughs or their sneezes. Some of them even drink from one another.So therefore this "flu" WILL be more contagious and more spread between children!!!!

April 30, 2009 at 9:21 pm |
  7. Brian - DC

I understand WHO's new official name for the "swine" flu is now "H1N1 Influenza A."

While WHO may want everyone to call it "H1N1 Influenza A" it is much easier for people (and the Press/Media) to keep calling it "swine flu" which doesn't remedy the misnomer that pigs are somehow spreading the disease.

If you look at the nomenclature "H1N1" it looks a lot like "HINI" ... so perhaps if we rename it "HINI" or since it is the A strain ... AHINI or HINIA or HINI-A ...it will be easier to say, remember and associate with the actual virus rather than the animal (pig) - and perhaps eliminate the unnecessary slaughters.

Just a thought ...and if Anderson and/or Dr. Gupta could get behind the idea, perhaps it might stick!

April 30, 2009 at 8:56 pm |
  8. BeckiPR

I have the flu. I am a teacher and I have had several students (5) out within the last week plus 1 of my own children. How do I know if it is just the flu or if it's the Swine Flu?

April 30, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  9. Ajay

While there are lists of symptoms that are associated with flu and possibly swine flu - does a person have to have all the symptoms tto be considered at risk for swine flu?

For example, could someone only with (1) a cough and (2) a sore throat - without other flu-like symptoms after a trip to NYC - have swine flu?

How about a person only with (1) a cough, (2) a sore throat and (3) mild diarrhea alone - without any fever or aches - be at risk for swine flu?

Are there designated testing sites for immediate testing?

If so, where?

April 30, 2009 at 8:53 pm |
  10. johanna

This is getting out of hand and I think the media is leading the fear mongering parade. I want to hear real STATS on other flu epidemics, why is this different IF IT IS, so far the deaths are minimal compared to history, why the big scare!

April 30, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  11. Misty

I have a trip to Puerto Vallarta the second week of June. Should it be safe to travel there by then?

April 30, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  12. Ana, California

Why can swine flu be fatal? How worried should one be about dying if they contract swine flu?

April 30, 2009 at 8:34 pm |
  13. brad

remember that Travel Alert back in late February, the US government doing us a favor not going to Mexico and then two months later, BAM the swine flun epidemic that started in Mexico............

April 30, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  14. Ron

It's my understanding that "swine flu" came into being when avian, porcine, and human virus strains underwent reassortment. Given that, what happens when the H1N1 virus reaches a country like Egypt or Indonesia, where "bird flu" (H5N1) exists? Could H1N1 and H5N1 reassort, so as to create a "super flu" as lethal as "bird flu" and as easily transmissible between humans as "swine flu"? And if so, how likely is it that such a reassortment will occur?

April 30, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  15. SRS

I had my swine flu shot in 1976. Am I still protected?

April 30, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  16. Diane N.

If they have not been able to isolate the origins(not where), the actual components that make up this differing strain of virus how are they able to make the vaccine or have they already determined but just haven't released the information and when will they release the information if they do already have it?

April 30, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  17. Eddie

I got a book in the mail yesterday from my aunt in California. She is living in an area with some H1N1 cases. Is this book safe to use and touch? Could it be infected? (By the way, I live in WV.)

April 30, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  18. Tony

my question is what will we learn about all this influenza the H1N1. And how would it prepare us for the future since cdc is expecting to get worse during the fall season,and my guess is that there will be other types of flu viruses in the future so shouldn't we be preparing for that as well.

April 30, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  19. Jessica Prescott

I live in Texas and I took my daughter out of school (my own decision) on Monday. I'm nervous to let her go back. The school has not been shut down, but schools only hours away have been. When should I let her go back to school? Monday is what I'm thinking, but the numbers just keep climbing and I'm worried that the day I let her go back it will break in my city. Conflicting data and not enough information has me worried. Should I keep her out until next school year?

April 30, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  20. parrotadoptsouthernontario

My daughter is traveling to Panama next week. Should we be concerned? What can she do to protect herself?

April 30, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  21. S.Rod

a school near my house was shut down because a girl has the swine flu and I work in the school district how worried should we be?

April 30, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  22. Debbie Durham

Is the Swine Flu effecting small children ages 2-8?

April 30, 2009 at 7:57 pm |
  23. Rachel

Is it true that healthy adults are as susceptible to death from the swine flu as eldery, babies, and those w/ compromised immune systems?

April 30, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  24. Threesa

Anderson

I have to fly to southern california this weekend. What are the risks of flying in a plane?

April 30, 2009 at 7:55 pm |