April 30th, 2009

Anderson interviews the hosts of 'The View'

Mary Anne Fox
AC360° Producer

My heart skipped a beat when I heard I was producing Anderson’s interview with the women of ‘The View’ and it isn’t the reason you’re thinking. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of the show and I grew up wanting to be Barbara Walters, but it was the thought of the sheer logistics behind such a shoot that caused my heart to go pitter patter. First, there was the usual, how are we going to find a day and time to block for the interview that works for Anderson and all five of ‘The View’ women? Thank god that doesn’t fall under my domain. But once we had a date and time (30 minutes), I had to figure out how to pull it off without using a studio set and staff to do so. Oh, and did I mention I’m on a tight budget?

We settled on using a room in the ABC building, so the ladies could walk right off their set and into the interview. The room was tight (and pink), but we somehow managed to fit four cameras, a jib (a contraption with a camera on it that does all kinds of funky moves), an audio designer & board, lighting (we used lots of it) and our CNN crew. It took over six hours to set up, but when we had all four of the ladies seated (Whoopi was out sick) things looked pretty good.

Anderson talked to Barbara, Joy, Elisabeth and Sherri about inserting themselves into the political conversation last year and whether or not in hindsight they thought they were fair. He also asked about guests they would love to have on their show, hot topics and of course the question we all want to know: Do they honestly like each other?

For nearly twenty minutes the ladies gave us a glimpse into what it’s like to be a part of their little club. They seemed honest, real and very funny. Just one note: don’t go calling them the ladies of ‘The View’. Tune in tomorrow night to find what the ladies would prefer to be called.

The Time 100/AC360 special “The World’s Most Influential People” airs tomorrow night at 11pm. Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People issue also hits newsstands on tomorrow.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper
  1. Joanne Morrell

Whoopi and Joy really make the view interesting and different. I'm so glad they talk about all subjects. I'm from the old school, therefore I love the Hot Topics.

April 30, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  2. Lilnda M

Tape the view everyday just so I can fastforward through Elizabeth's diatribe...love the show very tired of her soapbox .issues..Love the others......

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Minou, New York City

Please tell me that this Most Influential People thing is regarding the US alone....cuz, you know, the rest of the world doesn't know (or care for) Barbara Walters and Co. I don't watch the View and judging the clips I saw of the show over the years, I don't think I'm missing out.

April 30, 2009 at 8:40 pm |
  4. Tamara

"He also asked about guests they would love to have on their show, hot topics and of course the question we all want to know: Do they honestly like each other?"

UGH!

April 30, 2009 at 8:27 pm |
  5. Ratna, New York, NY

Heeeey!!! Was it in their recording studio near Trump residences at Riverside Blvd. Wow!!

Sherrie Shepherd is a lot better then Star Jones (who prefers to claw our Andy) when it comes to self confidence and body weight and her busty figure. Great stand-up comedian.

I bet it was a treat for Anderson Cooper.

April 30, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  6. Teresa, OH

shucks, if Whoopi aint there, I aint watching.

April 30, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  7. Stacy

I'm not really a fan of "The View", but I enjoyed your post. I can't believe it took over six hours to set up the shot. It's interesting to know that something that looks so simple to 'we the viewer' is really a mammoth undertaking on your end.

April 30, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  8. Lampe

I was a faithful watcher, until their behavior during The primaries and The elections. I can not know how some women, who are supposed to be for the advancement of women, could disrespect another woman like they did with Gov. Palin. A few on that show should be fired for their behavior. And believe me they know who they are. Don't agree with her political views, that's fine, but leave the personel stuff out of it.

April 30, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

I don't watch the view because I think it is boring. I don't think these ladies or the show is influential at all – just pesky and another of those talk shows which means absolutely nothing. We seem to have a lot of those on anymore.

April 30, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  10. Deb Tierney

I love The View, I think Joy & Whoopi are the best! All the ladies pretty much speak their minds but these two ladies are not hung up on being politically correct. Some times you just have to say what you mean and mean what you say (sorry for the cliche). I believe it influences other to do the same especially when your watching the show.

April 30, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  11. Wanda

I enjoy watching The View. There are 5 different women with viewpoints and lifestyles that make them all unique. No one will agree with every view that is made and like Joy said that is why it's called "The View". It's like sitting with your friends and dicussing daily topics and viewpoints. I feel like the group of ladies they have now is the best fit of all.

April 30, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  12. denise

I watch "The View" but I do question how they influence the world.How many countries actually watch it and are influenced by it.

April 30, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  13. Larry Raybern

they are only infuential if you agree with there views and that is mostly extremely liberal. I don't think any of them have ever had an original thought on any subject.

April 30, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  14. Sue

If you ever watch this show, it will make you wonder– "Why is Joy named Joy"?

She is the most sour-pussed woman I've ever seen. Didn't her mother tell her that her face may freeze like that?

She nor Whoopie have any influence over me at all. Well, maybe a little–I promise to NOT be like them.

April 30, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  15. Joanne

I think influential simply means they are willing to take on any topic .

April 30, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  16. c,ca

Oooooo, a 'sneak peek' !!! C'mon you guys........ this is sooooo stupid.

I know you have to do this because of Time Warner, but it's really ridiculous. What's next? "The sexiest party strategist"?

Please stick to actual news. We can get this stuff (if we wanted it) on Entertainment Tonight.

April 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  17. Jorge Vazquez

Frankly, who cares. Barbara lost it with me when she sucked up to Castro. Never watch the show, I have important things to.

April 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  18. Dawn

I was wondering if taking products with Elderberry extract would help avoid the Swine Flu ? I started taking New chapter's organic product called Immunity take care support and also Garden of life's product's RM-10 Ultra which are mainly Mushrooms to help with your immune system and make it stronger. I do realize it would not hurt but just wonder if it will make any diffrence with this Swine Flu ?

April 30, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  19. kimjoyrich

Oh brother. I can't believe they got an award. Influential?? I think not.

April 30, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  20. carol jones

ca not wait to see this

April 30, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  21. Erin

I have only looked at the photo under the caption "Anderson Interviews the Hosts of The View" and I noticed that Whoopi Goldberg is absent. Is there something going on?

April 30, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  22. MaryEllen Benvenuto-Rendine

I love watching the VIEW...talk about serendipitous honesty!

April 30, 2009 at 2:50 pm |