April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. john TN

why dont we hand out mask and contain areas that have it and stop flights to areas infected?

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The fire fighters should not be judged on thier skin but the bravery to save human lives form peril and these so called bigots wouldn't be caught dead saving any thing but htier own "skin " pardon the pun .

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Sue

People with the best immune systems typically get more sick with these type of viruses, because of the cytokine storm. Could it be that people in Mexico have better immune systems than us, in the U.S., therefore that is why there are more deaths in Mexico?

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Sherry, N. Calif.

How about chlorox wipes instead of hand sanitizers? Will they kill a virus?

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Steve - southern Illinois

I wonder how many death threats Specter has received from right-wing loonies so far? I'm guessing Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity will be fanning the flames of hate even more than usual.

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Robert Gimbi Jr

Anderson, Does it really help at all to wear a mask, for the swine flu?
    seems like propaganda to me. This flu is to easy to spread , so I believe the mask does us no good at all. What do you think?

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Nattada, Houston TX

I heard a lot of news on discriminating on firefighter. One that I think is so disturbing is the dog food prank on black firefighter. Now white firefighter, too. I wonder if discrimination issue is the same with other occupants.

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Josephine

Hi Anderson,

Are there any current predictive tests that will detect the presence of the swine flu virus?

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Anthony

My sister got back from Mexico 1 week ago. Should I be worried?????

April 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Tom

Very pleased that Arlen Specter switched over to the Democrats. He has an excellent chance of winning his general election next year, and the GOP still hasn't learned its lesson. You alienate a majority of the electorate...you lose...not rocket science guys, but hey keep it up. We Democrats absolutely love it!

April 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Alex Martirosyan

everyone is scared thats why they didnt let those men get the jobs if they did get the jobs then the black community will have problems so everyone is scared but it causes problems both sides

April 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Fred

Anderson, there was no need to ask David if he agreed with Candy's assessment that Specter's motives were political. Specter already admitted that he had checked with his pollsters, heard the bad news, and decided to save his skin by becoming a turncoat. I say good riddance. I thought he was a Democrat anyway.

April 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Sharon

What exactly is killing these people who were diagnosed with the swine flu?

April 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Megan

I feel sick with a flu. Some symptoms except the fever. Should I be worried that I have the Swine Flu?

April 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. wesley moran

Anderson, no one has mentioned or i haven't heard anyone mention about what the incubation period , or how long the virus lasts on surfaces? ATM, shopping carts, gym equipment, cash, skin etc. on anything that has been touched by someone infected.
    Also ,
    What symptoms should we expect, or what symptoms sets it apart from a regular flu?

Dr Sanjay, you are being very brave being out there in the epicenter of the flu. Good luck.
    wesley moran

April 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Krasi, Houston, TX

It's so aggravating to hear about cases such as the firefighters one. Race should never be in consideration and the most qualified person for the job should receive it. Today, however, people so afraid of being blamed that I am not sure that anything is ever justly done.

April 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Mike

Is there any chance that people who are infected by swine flu are infected by one, or possibly both strains?

April 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

How can it attack a healthy person who has good immuinty ,If the adult is healthy how can the germ or virus invest it'sself to the perosn's body tissue and make them sick ?

April 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Mike, Syaracuse, NY

The test is the test. As long as the test is testing knowledge needed for the position, and everyone had the same opportunity to be tested, then the results are the results. This is pure reverse discrimination. It's time there are no more 'protected groups'.

April 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Tony C

Well,I just came from our local pharmacy and I was told that Tamiflu is not available,and they don't know when they will get any. How is this possible?Every state should have large supply ready to go! Is this what our government calls preparedness?

April 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  21. phyllis

I am a Republican that voted Democratic this last election because GOP has gone off the deep end – they are very narrow minded & focused on reacting to the Democrates instead of creating a new idea of their own...they've become so narrow in their idealism that I can't support them any longer – when they wake up & get back to doing what is best for this country instead of just fighting to fight I'll get back to voting Republican.

April 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Neil

The New Haven fire fighters are certainly being whiny. Same standards as college and graduate school admission exams.

April 28, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Is it normal for the WHO or CDC to keep private the details regarding those who have been confirmed as having swine flu?

Not too many details have come out regarding the student at the University of Notre Dame who was confirmed as having swine flu. Odd thing is that in this case, the student did not travel or has not traveled outside the campus.....Hmmm.

April 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  24. David Gergen

Hello again everyone - thanks for your comments. On Sen. Specter's switch, he brings the Democratic vote total to 59, Al Franken would make it officially 60. That would mean that if the Republicans try to filibuster a major Obama initiative (say, health care), and IF the Democrats all stick together, they can stop the filibuster and pass the bill. With filibusters becoming popular in recent years for parties in the minority, 60 has thus become a magic number.

Specter does strengthen the President's hand but please note that Specter is insisting he will remain pretty independent in his judgments so that he (and perhaps other moderate Democrats) will not be automatic votes for the White House. They in fact will have a good deal of power. As Dana Perino of the Bush WH told Larry King tonight, the Dems may soon have 60 seats in the Senate but they won't necessarily have those 60 votes. Fascinating times.

April 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Naomi

I have a trip to Turkey planned for next week. Is it possible that the US could close the border because of the swine flu and I wouldn't be able to return ?Thanks, Naomi-Brooklyn, NY

April 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Jennifer

I told like how your calling it " Reverse Discrimination" ..It shouldn't matter if your black or white it's still Just Discrimination

April 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

I bet the sales of Purel go up like crazy!

April 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Debbie-Kay

A question for the doctor: If you have had the flu (not the flu shot) have u built up any immunities to H1N1?

April 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Mike - Colorado

What has to happen to get more labs to be able to determine if a person is truely infected with swine flu? Did I hear right that there are only two (as of last night)?

Also, if containment is so important, isn't it critical to get more labs when the reason given for why those kids in NY didn't get tested is that it would swamp the labs?

April 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Ben

Is it safe for my wife and two young children to fly within the country this week? I worry about their flight from an international airport where they may come in contact with international passengers.

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Leticia

How did the students in NY catch the Swine flu virus ? There are no cases registered in the state of Quintana Roo where Cancun is , or in the state of Yucatan.

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. vic

With all the respect I am a democrat. But I think that President Obama is politiciting the Airforce One flying plane in NYC. The mayor is doing it as well, and the mayor got what he wanted, an apology from an intimidated president that besides been african american he is a politician like everyone else. This is just all bull from both sides.

What is the big deal when I have seen as well as the daily walking commute New Yorkers helicopters and planes flying at very, very low altitude.

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Melanie

The worries have spread all the way up to the James bay coast, Ontario, Canada. A teacher was told to stay indoors after coming back from a vacation in mexico with flu like simptoms. She and the school board decided that she will be leaving the community until medical reports say she is fit to return.

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Maureen T, Canada

I'd like to believe these firefighters are also qualified for these positions.

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  35. RUTH A.

my question is for dr. gupta, my husband and i received the swine flu vaccine in l976. would it still offer any protection now???? thanks,from pa.

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Darnell Duncan

Hey Andi Coupe ! its obvious we aren't even properly prepared to deal with this ONE virus what are we gonna do if SEVERAL variations develop over different regions? Or if another sickness is spawned from the poor body disposal conditions in poorer countries?

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Nancy

I have an autoimmune disease and am scheduled to fly tomorrow from the mid-Atlantic area to the South (not near Mexico). Is it safe to do so? Should I wear a mask?

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Rich

Is the swine flu more deadly the the "Avian" bird flu that was going to wipe out the planet a couple of years ago?

April 28, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Laura

Why is it that the US border patrol is just looking for symptoms when the health officials have stated that the incubation period is 2-3 days! which means all those people who arent sick but have the virus are infecting others! What is being done to remedy that situation?

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I can totally understand where these firefighters are coming from. I fear that we are so worried about being politically correct and not discriminating that we actually end discriminating against the majority....

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Patrice Palmer

What can teachers do to prevent getting ill from their many students? I read that North Carolina is not testing mild cases that may be swine flue. How does this kind of policy impact real, accurate reporting of incidences of swine flu?

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Daniel Cunningham

If I get the sniffles, should I be alarmed?

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. James

I just have a quick question. Is it risky to got to another country from the united states if you haven't been to mexico if the viruse isn't in your state yet?

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. starr formerly known as vincent

David Gergen

I forgot to comment on your question as to how the President & his administration are handling the flu situation.

So far, the seem to be right on top of it. Even though, they are "short-staffed"! It was gratifying to see that they finally installed the Sec. for Health & Humand Services (i understand, the republicans were holding the nomination up as she is pro-choice...)

Anyway, i think that the federal government appears to be handling the flu issue very well.

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Pablo From mexico

Here is the note

"Mexico, 28 abr (EFE). – The Mexican authorities reduced today from twenty to seven "the confirmed" deaths by laboratories of Canada and EE.UU. that they analyze these samples and indicated that the thirteen ratified remaining deaths will be object of new analyses"

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Jen

You are so classy and genteel, David. Another reason I love CNN.

Pandemic is a bad thing, granted, but news sources who have 24 hrs to fill are really talking it up and could possibly create panic where none is warranted. Let's keep it in perspective, please.

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Michael

When do you suspect that the outbreak will start showing more severe cases of the swine flu in the US?

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Gary

Why would Obama or other democrats campaign for Spector, a moderate, when they can have a major liberal? Spector is gone.

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Charlene

I have a question for Dr. Gupta – I had a stem cell transplant 2 years ago for Multiple Myeloma. My immune system is seriously compromised. What can I do to protect myself from swine flu?

April 28, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Melody Edwards Naus

Why are people who are infected with Swine Flu in Mexico dying, when the people contaminated here in the USA are predicted to get over it in nine days or so? Who is predicted to die, if infected, and who is expected to live, USA or elsewhere?
    Melody Edwards Naus, Prescott Arizona