AC360 Thursday 8p

There are growing questions about the Bluefin-21 search for Flight 370. What's happens when it completes its sweep? The latest tonight on AC360.
April 22nd, 2009

Ikarian diet a key to health and longevity

The Greek island of Ikaria.
The Greek island of Ikaria.

Diane Kochilas
Chef and Author

My mom from the Greek island of Ikaria lived to 95. My Ikarian aunt on my dad’s side to 95 and my husband’s paternal Ikarian grandmother to 98. It never occurred to me that as a family we were beating the odds. Until, that is, I stumbled on to Dan Beuttner’s book The Blue Zones, about why some people in the world live extraordinarily long and healthy lives.

I was at a friend’s in San Francisco. It was Election Eve 2008 and the air was electric. Before falling to sleep I skimmed the book, then, quite by chance the next day got an email from one of Dan’s assistants, who wanted some information on Ikaria. What I had always taken for granted—my roots on this small, remote island, the simple delicious foods I’d always tasted there during the summers of my childhood, the agrarian routines that seemed so exotic to my New York sensibilities—was suddenly important in the eyes of the “outside” world.

Growing up in an Ikarian home in Queens, New York, was like being in a village setting of sorts. We always had a stream of guests dropping in and our kitchen table was always ready to accommodate them. The foods were usually simple: a salad, boiled greens (picked in the New York of the 1960s during countless Sunday outings to Long Island), some cheese, bread, olives, some bean dish or other that was my father’s specialty. Maybe a savory pie filled with more greens, usually spinach. Olive oil was part of every dish, even many of the sweets we ate, even then, before the Mediterranean Diet was discovered. But most of all, it was the conviviality of it all I remember, the open hospitality, the de rigueur offering of food and wine to anyone who came through our door.

Then, decades later, long after the Mediterranean Diet was lauded as the world’s healthiest, our Ikarian ways became a hotspot on the Blue Zone radar screen. Dan asked me what I thought the reasons were that people seemed to live longer here. There’s never one single thing, of course, but the social and human aspects of how Ikarians live are, to my mind at least, as important as what they eat.

I came to the island for the first time as a 12-year-old New York kid, not speaking a word of Greek, and yet sensing that this place had something that spoke to me. My mom sent me here every summer as a teenager, to keep my off the streets of New York. If only she had known then the freedom I enjoyed here, feeling safe, knowing everyone, staying up til dawn and growing into adulthood with images of sunrises and the sounds and smells of bees collecting nectar just as the day begins.

And then the road of no return for my budding cook’s sensibilities: tasting foods that actually had flavor because they were so fresh, so local, so seasonal. I could never replicate those things in New York: tomatoes with intense sweet and acidic juices, which grew in my aunt’s garden, homemade goat’s cheese, slightly acidic olive oil, vinegar that really tasted of wine, fennel and oregano and savory in almost everything, cherries off the tree in a friend’s garden, apricots that were so sweet they tasted like jam. Wild mountain goat, the food of feasts on this island. I realized early on, thanks to my Ikarian immersion, that vegetables played a much different role on the plate and on the table.

There is a keen lesson for every American cook in that: We Ikarians, and Greeks in general, eat vegetables as main courses, or marry them with small portions of meat. Fish, of course, is central to this Greek island cuisine. But the meat thing—moving it out of the center of the plate and pushing the vegetables, beans, and legumes to center stage, with the starches and red meats more like satellites around something plant-based—this, in retrospect, was a revelation. For as long as I can remember, I’ve eaten that way. Not exactly a vegetarian, but no maniacal carnivore, either.

Ikaria shaped my cook’s sensibilities but also my social self. The slowness of this place, our unique relationship to time (point of fact: when I got married here I was two hours late for the wedding; the priest, however, had not arrived yet!). Ikarians don’t stress out about much. I like to think that this is in our gene pool, since most of the Ikarians I know even in the States are pretty calm, mellow folks. Time slows here. The sweet honey of indolence drips down on every visitor to this island—that’s what a good friend who has visited us here once observed. Ikaria isn’t a consumer society. Shopkeepers won’t try to convince you to buy, waiters won’t hurry over to your table for an order, nor will they hurry to collect your plates, deeming this rude, as though nudging you to leave.

No one will ever be able to say with certainty that one thing or another leads to a longer life. Diet surely plays a role, and here on Ikaria it’s always been very simple, very poor. But the foods from this island are elegant in their simplicity, easy to reproduce in any city in America. And they are conducive to that most Ikarian of good habits: sitting around the table, wine in hand, olive oil poured at the ready, with friends and family of every age (age, like time, is irrelevant here, too), enjoying one of life’s greatest pleasures.

Below, I serve forth a plate of longevity beans. For more healthful Ikarian and Greek recipes, log on to my youtube channel. There you’ll see step by step recipes for the Greek and Ikarian classics, for vegetable-based dishes and more. And, if you’re the fun-loving, hospitality-loving, adventurous sort, then come to visit us here on the island, for a week of cooking together and learning the ways of this remote, unique, beautiful place. We even take you to the hot springs! Our school is called the Glorious Greek Kitchen. You can find it on my you tube site and also at www.dianekochilas.com

“Longevity” Black Eyed Pea Stew from Ikaria

Serves 2 as a main course and 4 – 6 as a meze

½ pound black eyed peas

½ cup extra virgin Greek olive oil

1 large red onion, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 large, firm ripe tomato, grated or finely chopped

2 teaspoons tomato paste, diluted in ¼ cup water

2 bay leaves

Salt to taste

1 bunch wild fennel or 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped and 1 bunch dill, finely chopped

1. Rinse the black eyed peas in a colander.

2. Heat half the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat and cook the onion and garlic, stirring, until soft, about 12 minutes. Add the black eyed peas and toss to coat in the oil.

3. Add the tomato, tomato paste and enough water to cover the beans by about an inch. Add the bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the black eyed peas are about half way cooked. Season with salt. Add the wild fennel. (Note: if wild fennel is unavailable, cook the chopped fennel bulb with the onion and garlic and add the dill in place of the wild fennel.) Continue cooking until the black eyed peas are tender. Remove, pour in remaining raw olive oil and serve.

1. Ada

I love Vegetarian food especially Greek.

April 27, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  2. Bertha Phillips

Where can I buy Ikaria honey? The thick, pasty type is what I'm looking for. I live in the US. Thank you.

April 24, 2009 at 8:06 am |
  3. art hastings

Hi can you please let me know if the honey you displayed in your morning show, is it available in the u.s. i'm in santa rosa ca, 59 miles no of san francisco, t u art

April 24, 2009 at 6:28 am |
  4. Daniel Kuhn

I gave up red meat, dairy fat and eggs about three months ago for health reasons. I've replaced those foods with fish, the occasional cut of skinless chicken and vegetarian meals like the one above. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Sound delicious. Thanks.

April 23, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  5. Isabel

In Greek food is all so colorful, so full of flavors and seasonings. I do not have the best eating habits, but the Greek cuisine made me to like eggplant. Greek Moussaka is wonderful!

April 23, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  6. elizabethann

Good Day!!!

I have always believed that the best medicine we have is ... the food we place in our mouths!

In Peace

April 23, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  7. fenot

i love greek food...!

April 23, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  8. rickjoel

As a Greek American growing up in the 50's and early 60's I can appreciate what Ms. Kochilas is saying. I remember well my grandmother's garden , grape vines and her cherry trees. She would say one tree for the birds and one for us. Her cooking was simple but delicious. Unfortunately, the passing of my grandparents and my parents caused us to succomb to the Americanization of our diet. Although I try to maintain some semblance of the meals that were prepared back then, I see my brothers giving up the time put into these meals for fast food and pizza deliveries. I certainly would like to go back to that simpler time.

April 23, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  9. klemesu(clay-may-sue)

hmmm.

April 23, 2009 at 6:08 am |
  10. BJWILLIAMS

I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO USE THE HERB PLANT ROSEMARY?
    CAN YOU USE IT GREEN OFF THE PLANT OR DO YOU HAVE TO DRY IT 1st? IS IT GOOD FOR THE BODY? HOW?

April 23, 2009 at 3:35 am |
  11. Lynn

Will try the recipe...sometimes I feel like cooking. If I feel and look younger after I eat this, I'll let you know. Thanks for the recipe!

April 23, 2009 at 12:27 am |
  12. Michael

UUUUUHHHMMMM Hey ! this is the way I like to eat too.... bean dishes, olive oil, except I replace fats with nuts too, lots of vegetables and greens and fruits for breakfast with oats and the farmers cheese. My mom grew up eating like this too, Italian immigrants from Sicily. Her mom went to the farmers market daily and purchased big bags of greens to resale in the neighborhood. They also ate lots of chick peas and olive oil on almost everything with farmers cheese and meats were minimal.
    If it was for my mother's accident crucifixion I always thought that she'd live to 99. Actually, I know a vegetarian lady, Hulda Crooks, who lived to 99, hiking up mountains in California and even Mt Fuji when she was 90.
    Another vegetarian friend, my adopted grandmother,Charlotte Hamlin, bicycled 14,000 miles across five continents, beginning at 70 years young of age. At 90 she is full of life and gives a lot of talks on vibrant health and right living. She eats a simple vegetarian diet also. A breakfast of fruits and cooked whole grains with some honey , nuts and perhaps yogurt, for lunch its usually vegetables, greens, brown rice and lentils or other beans. She doesn't seem to eat much for dinner but has plenty of energy and trust in the God.

April 23, 2009 at 12:26 am |
  13. sylvia Londono

Love the aritcle, love the recepie – next time in Greece would love to cook with Diane in Ikaria

April 23, 2009 at 12:24 am |
  14. Regina T.

I believe the slower paced lifestyle along with the food and drink is the key. I live in a small town in KY, but still feel like I am always on the clock. I stay tired! I would love to visit Ikaria in my lifetime if even for a day.

April 23, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  15. Victoria Hernandez

Great article...truly valuable advice. I think CNN is finally figuring out that news can also be positive...we get such an overdose of the negative! Thanks.

April 23, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  16. Duke Doze

I love it. Thank you.

April 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  17. jacqui corley

Ilove fennel and all sorts of legumes, never thought to combine the two. Can't wait to try this recipe.

April 22, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  18. Ivan

Long live the Greeks!

April 22, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  19. Carolyn Taylor

I would like to know if there is a cook book from the Ikarian Island?

April 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  20. Rose Parvin

Health & longevity is not by eathing good although that matters much! But many eat good but whenever leave this planet they join t he dust without any sight of them. True longevity is through Mind-Body-Spirit Power Balance that I have pioneered that makes a person divine & eternal in not only eathing but thinking & spiritually living! It does not mean one lies down & meditates and dies; the way my predetors want people to see me! I am the most active person on earth & aside form literally working 20 hours a day to save the world & the lost souls walking dead on it but I live multidimensional life that makes me eat nothing but light & deleting the poison of dark asking god to deliver me from the evil eyes into the hands of god under the light!

April 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  21. Diana Demchenko

Sorry I couldn't find where I was supposed to put this, but you guys should research the Provence area in southern France next. The food there is amazing and the people eat a lot, but noone gains weight from doing so. People there seem to live so much happier and stressless.

April 22, 2009 at 11:01 pm |