April 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/21/09

Tonight on AC360°, we continue our special series 'Secrets to a Long Life.' We'll take you back to a tiny Greek island and give you new insight that could help you live healthier.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on living longer during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Michael

It doesn't matter who started it. It's illegal to torture. Let's be sure it's ended and those responsible for the torture poliicy be prosecuted.

April 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

Maybe the only way to get to hope is to open Pandora's box, Anderson. I feel that responsibility for alleged acts of torture extends to those who committed those acts. Though there are differences in methods seeming btwn Abu Graib, and Guantanamo detainees, it is important to note that this was a continuing policy.

Totally disagree with Ari Fleischer on this one. You don't need an expert to determine what is mistreatment of captive prisoners and what is torture.

Ari has a point though that congressional dems are partially responsible.

Who else might bring a lawsuit, other that us att gen, on this?

My guess politics aside, the public wants to know about this. I think we should have it out. Not sure how exactly.

April 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Matt

Mr. Begala is right of course. Ari's moment of silence spoke volumes.

April 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Rebekah

about the python story – my 6th grade teacher's schnauzer was eaten by a python released by her neighbors in MICHIGAN. people need to be smarter and better informed when they buy exotic pets...

April 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  5. -Nioshii-

Whether or not the torture worked is not the issue! Whether or not we believe in and will uphold our values and laws, or descend to depraved behaviors that we criticize when others do them is!

I don't care if the techniques worked. Other techniques would have worked, too...although they wouldn't have achieved unlawful retribution. I suspect that's what these guys wanted and maybe that will be revealed. Otherwise, why would Cheney be so hysterical about it all?

Great point, Anderson...when the Khmer Rouge did it , we called it torture and abhored it. As Pres Obama said, we must uphold to our values even when we are challenged, not just when it's easy, -N-

April 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  6. kelly

Waterboarding is just fine with me. We are safer.

April 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Rafael Bronx,NY

These torture should should have never been used on anybody. These prisoners should have been prosecuted and charged or something and be put in some jail facility.

April 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Zoee - Canada

I wish that there was more time for that segment. I think that it is an important issue and that we do have to see both sides to make up our own minds.

April 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Adriana

I don't understand why it matters that torture worked...You just don't do that to anybody...I can't believe that there is no other way to find out information...We remember the Nuremberg trial...how come nobody tortured those war criminals?

April 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Jen NY

Hi Anderson -

Great job with the interview... thanks for asking the tough questions, following up and including historical references. I am following this story with interest.

By the way, I am insulted with Mr. Feleischer's view that I am not intelligent enough to form an opinion on this topic!

Jen

April 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Miss J

Now that Melissa Huckaby lady surprises me. I'll admit that. Usually mothers who kill – kill their own children. The profile of this lady is quite bizarre.

April 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Isabel

26 reasons to love living in Washington
    Reason # 2 Our new neighbor is hot ...

Will President Obama is ashamed to see that?
    I think yes! lol ...

April 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  13. gail

@ Mike
    The release wasn"t done for political reasons it was done because the FOIA compelled them to be released.

April 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Kristen - University Park, PA

Why do they keep saying teaching Al Queda what the techniques are?
    Did those memos reveal any new techniques only the US used? I didn't think so, but maybe they were.

April 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  15. karen

Re. Craigs List. my son bought concert tickets on Craigs list, but never received them. Using paypal didn't protect him from loosing $400 and in fact, the seller even has our address since seller needed that to send tickets to him. Doesn't make us feel safe at all. Where are the safeguards?

April 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Paul is correct in his succinct statement: "Torture is always wrong." How that other guy can even attempt to seriously make his contradictory point is beyond me. He just completely embarrassed himself.

April 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Joan, Idaho

Obama only released memos to take focus off his decisions, ie bailouts, tea party etc. Now it is backfiring.

18. Sabrina

Thanks Paul Begalia thanks for pushing back. Torture is wrong I can't believe these people defend this. This former Bush guy is unreal. This is not a political issue. Torture is against US law.

19. Isabel

Really no words to defend it ...

20. ericacnn

Great interview with Ari and Paul ...and a lot to talk about

21. Torben from Norway

Are Cheney saying that is was OK to torture people because it gave good results ? This really cannot be the message republicans want to send the world. "You can torture as long as it give good results"... cmon USA, this is just not good enough.

22. Isabel

Torture really is very wrong!

23. mickey

how are we teaching since the tapes are distroyed so what can terrorist learn
    Ari stop changing the question

24. Vanessa, TX

I love this conversation! I'm just not a happy w/ talking over each other..

25. Brandi - bottom of the boot

whoa, yeah Ari, defend that! (creepy pause there! lol)

26. Jonny, KY

Get it, Paul Begala! That silence form Ari? Is answer enough.

27. Dodie from Irvine, CA

I am really enjoying this interview. Not just accepting a quick answer.

28. Esma

I'm on Team Paul. I understand Ari's points, but not subscribing.

29. Caroline, Los Angeles

I think Al Qada could probably read BBC news or listen to a Michael Ware interview and they'd learn all about our techniques.

Yay Paul! Excellent point.

30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Can anyone here honestly say that they would not agree to using torture if one of their loved ones was being held hostage somewhere?

31. Gary

Nancy Pelosi was aware of these activities. Why did she not say something at the time.

32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree Anderson! That's responsible for former Vice Pres.Cheney did destroy memos. I think he is lying to us!

33. Sandra Robertson, GA

Anderson, I wonder if we will ever know if anyone "incidentally" died while we were using 'interrogation' techniques.

34. Carol

You are missing the point by focusing on whether or not torture got good info. Torture is against American and international law-whether or not it works. You also are allowing Cheney to control the news . Torture is abominable and treating it as if effectiveness is a justification is wrong, wrong, wrong.

35. Eric Larsson

I resent the implication that career bureaucrats are more qualified to determine what torture is, than are our elected representatives.

36. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Erica Hill, when I talked to her last night she hadn't heard about it. By the way she's a jounalism major, is graduating next month with a 3.8 average and needs a job. Interested?

37. Genevieve M, TX

Terrorists being tortured? I have sympathy only for those that were falsely accused- which is very few. Other than that, I have no problem with criminals getting "a taste of their own medicine".

38. Jo

If we violated binding international agreements by waterboarding and the use of other 'special interrogation' techniques, we have to take steps toward prosecution of those responsible. It's a necessary part of rebuilding our credibility with the rest of the world.

39. gail

Anderson just said that contrary to what Cheney said that the torture did not result in an attack being averted . Therefore , torture is not worth the larger price that we play.

40. toni in Virginia

Great point by Paul on what we did to Japanese who water-boarded our men.

41. Rebekah

@Anderson – loved your tone when asking Ari Fleischer if there wasn't torture, then why did they destroy evidence.
    thank you for pointing that out.

42. starr formerly known as vincent

LYING – yes, they lied, which makes the whole situation much worse!

& notice that both panel members agreed that we should NOT torture!

April 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Jonny, KY

Anderson is right– if these techniques are called torture when other people do it, it's torture when we do it. Ari is evading.

April 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Goooooo Anderson! Keep probing! Good for you... Don't just take a quick answer. High 5 for Anderson

April 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Michael

I totally support the administration's decision to release this information. The interrogation techniques were completely illegal and an abomination against human rights. It does not matter if anyone "thinks" we were able to obtain useful information. Torture is wrong.

April 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Caroline, Los Angeles

Then Ari, if you think it's not justified why do you defend those who did it?

April 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Louise W.

Fay – California. I agree with everything you said! Torture in any form is NOT acceptable. Those people SHOULD be investigated and prosecuted.

To Ari Fleischer – After your comments tonight about what you feel is torture and is not torture, you have lost ALL credibility in my eyes. I will NEVER watch you on TV or hear you somewhere and believe a thing you say.

April 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  48. toni in Virginia

Why is an act that we no longer perform thought to be 'Top Secret? Please note that the 'other' memos also show that the actual Interrogators (themselves) claim that no verifiable value intel was garnered after 120 of these water-boardings.

April 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Esma

Anderson, loving this interview with Paul and Ari. Thanks for covering this.

April 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I am really enjoying this interview with Paul and Ari...Its so interesting to see the extent of the difference in opinion! :)

April 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm |