April 21st, 2009

I do - or I don't

Program Note: Tune in to hear more from Randi Kaye tonight on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

Philip Markoff, suspect in the Craigslist killings.

Philip Markoff, suspect in the Craigslist killings.

Randi Kaye
AC360° Correspondent

Her name is Megan McAllister and she is the fiancee of the suspected "Craigslist Killer."

Philip Markoff, a 22-year-old medical student at Boston University, is charged with murder and kidnapping.

Ms. McAllister has come to his defense, telling Good Morning America that police have the wrong man.

But what if they don't? What if the man she is supposed to marry this August in a lovely wedding at the New Jersey Shore has been leading a double life?

That's enough to send shivers down any woman's spine. The two reportedly met when they were at SUNY Albany together.  She's two years older.

Boston police say Markoff attacked at least two women and killed one of them. They expect to tie him to a third attack in Rhode Island.

Police say in each case he used a gun. They also say Markoff made appointments for erotic services with the women through Craigslist.

Is it possible this tall wholesome looking medical student without any criminal history is the predator police describe? Did he have his own fiancee fooled?

If those wedding invitations haven't gone out, maybe they shouldn't. At least not yet, anyway.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Crime & Punishment • Randi Kaye
  1. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Denial is a pretty strong evil that often masks itself as love. This woman needs to wake up, get out, deal with her issues, and move on to someone better when she is ready. Twenty-four isn't too young to figure it out. My last semester as an undergrad I almost became engaged to a certifiable nut job who made his former girlfriend have an abortion and beat on her. A male friend of mine who knew my "beloved" told me to run before the same thing happened to me. I thought I could change my boyfriend. He wasn't hitting, he was charming and cute, he was intelligent, he took care of me, so he had to be ok. Well, a month later, I caught him screwing around on me right before he was going to propose. What an ass. I ran that time. I wish I had listened to that earlier warning. I found out later his whole fraternity was watching his every move in an attempt to protect me. Life gives us wake up calls we really should not ignore. This guy's arrest probably saved this young woman. I pray she doesn't think she can save him and takes care of herself. She deserves way more than this.

April 21, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  2. Jordan

John Wayne Gacy had a family and entertained children as a clown all while sexual assaulting, murdering and hiding the corpses of young men in the crawl space under his house. You can't always know everything about a person just because they crawl into bed with you each night.

April 21, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  3. Annie Kate

Innocent and unwed until proven guilty or not guilty. If Meghan is correct and they do have the wrong guy then she could marry him with a clear mind and confidence. If not, then she may have saved her own life by postponing the wedding. I hope she waits – I would hate to see on the news that she became his next victim.

April 21, 2009 at 6:52 pm |
  4. Vickie

Baby girl, they have some pretty convincing evidence. Be very cautious. 😦

April 21, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  5. Darin

I think the wedding should wait until this trial is over. Evidence will either prove him innocent, or guilty. But at least Megan will be there through it all to see with her own two eyes who this guy really is before she makes the decision to marry him. If he's innocent, then she'll be glad she supported him and stuck by his side. If he's guilty, she'll be glad she didn't make a mistake...........waiting it out could be the difference between life and death for Megan, so be smart and wait.

April 21, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  6. KIMBERLY

how sad for this young lady. also his family. what a nightmare for all involved.

April 21, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  7. Tommy

forget about it...You can go to med school and feed yourself without having to rely on this psycho killer!

April 21, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  8. Joanne Pacicca, Solvay, NY

Honestly, this is creepy! The entire thing brings back memories of Ted Bundy.

April 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  9. Darci

What in the world does age have to do with it Rambling Expatriate?? My parents were 19/20 when they were married and still are 34 years later. My grandparents were 18/20 have been together for over 50 years. I hope for her sake she can put aside all of the feelings she has for him and start to look at the facts – when they come out. I guess we can't really judge her until we know they have some evidence tying him to these horrible crimes. It would be mighty sad to loose the person you are supposed to be with because of something they never did – she needs to wait and look at all of the evidence before she commits to a decision either way.

April 21, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  10. Mohamad

They should allow you to run background check on person your going to marry for safety

April 21, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  11. Maria

Sometimes the people we think we know the best, we never really know at all. That is a scary thing. Megan your heart will tell you one thing but your mind will say another...go with what your mind is telling you.

April 21, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  12. Rambling Expatriate

22 and getting married!?!... Sure, I don't know who I am yet but now that I have been legally drinking for 1 entire year, it's obviously time to commit to one person for the next 60 years of my life!

April 21, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  13. carol njeri - Nairobi Kenya

Run Megan run

April 21, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  14. sn

Charismatic psychopaths, should you ever chance to meet one, are charming people. Some are relatively harmless: they steal from the office picnic fund, cheat at cards, and take 5 hour lunch breaks. They keep their jobs because charm, intelligence, and often, good looks allow them to keep everyone reluctant to accuse them of anything.

Families often can never believe their children did the things they do, and often others fall into the same trap with psychopaths. The crimes seem illogical, the person seems to be upstanding, and the authorities are seen as bullies.

It is possible this is a case of a classical charismatic psychopath. Only a jury trial will be able to legally judge innocence of guilt

April 21, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  15. Lil_T

I beleive in healthy skeptism on both sides. It could be very possible that this young medical student could have done the things he is accused of. It is also possible that the police have found some very circumstancial evedience and are aiming to build the case around that. It's a good thing we live in a society where you are innocent util proven guilty . . right?

April 21, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  16. Lori Luke

Has she seen To Catch a Predator? It is shocking to see how very normal down to earth looking guys do some nasty things. In this case... it can't hurt to postpone it while she does some research but come on... he's accused of murder... hello? I'm in a completely commited relationship but something like that is cause for a very very heavy converstation and some proof is going to have to be produced!

April 21, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  17. JC- Los Angeles

A woman falling for a horrific guy? Happens every day here in Los Angeles.

April 21, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  18. Guia Geline Alapan

I suggest postpone the wedding until all is clear. Ms. McAllister should think things over before marrying this guy. Looks can be deceiving.

April 21, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  19. JaneA

Wow, what a total drag if he ends up being guilty.
    I'm sorry but looking @ his pictures I would never suspect that guy...but those are usually the ones....they are not always so nasty like Otis toole or that icky ramierez guy

April 21, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  20. Melissa

Didn't we learn anything from Jeffery Dhamer? This man would rape, torture then murder; followed by going to his grandmother's afterwards, for dinner! It's totally plausible if this is the right creep!

April 21, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  21. wildcatdiva

this sort of happened 2 me- i found out that the guy i was engaged to (in the 80s) – had in fact been involved in shooting a younger man in another state- he was an accessory that shot the second bullet- how aweful! – this, of course, was an immediate deal breaker – i don't sleep with dogs because i don't want to wake up with fleas – i hope this woman has this man privately investigated and is EXTREMELY SURE he is cleared of guilt - i wish her well

April 21, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  22. Janibeth

We never know, sometimes people could have two different life and personalities. Psychologists need to indentify if he has personality problem before previous judgement.

April 21, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  23. Melissa

She obviously doesn't know the "otherside" of her fiance. And why would he show her his darkside? He needs an alibi to continue his double life.

April 21, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  24. Daniel Simpson

When are we going to accept the idea that Evil Abounds within our minds,changing us to be what satin wants us to be,..constantly developing into more terrorism that rules our lives, the terrorism that changes History,,Everyone Has A Choice,of what they let themselves Do,The battle of good and evil is constant,?

April 21, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  25. Heather,ca

Unfortunately its totally possible. Thats whats so scarry about this. You have this sociapath who assimilated into society and lived this double life. I feel terrible for her. I hope she is safe and deletes him out of her life.

April 21, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  26. Nel

We must remember that in this country we are "supposed" to be innocent until proven guilty. All too often, any accusation is presumption of guilt by the public. I am not saying the guy is innocent, but let's get the forensic evidence in and follow the evidence. If he indeed contacted these victims, there surely will be evidence on his computer or other communication devices. Do any of his clothes have blood evidenc on them? Or his shoes? Car? That baseball cap?

On the flip side, sometimes the "authorities" manufacture evidence in order to convict someone, anyone, even though the actual perpetrator goes free.

If this guy is in fact proven to be the one who commited these crimes, Megan needs to run in the other direction as others have suggested.

April 21, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  27. joe

Anything's possible. She can support him as long as he's presumed innocent, but put nuptials on hold until after the trial.

April 21, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  28. GF, Los Angeles

Anything is possible – it's just sad a pre-med student is possibly this whacked. What a promising future he could've had.

April 21, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  29. Kim

Anyone who thinks that just because he doesn't fit the bill of what we assume a killer looks like that he is not capable of this crime is naive on another level. Ted Bundy was also educated, handsome and well spoken yet this did not stop him or the BTK killer who was very involved with his church and also married with children the entire time he stalked and in time murdered his victims. It is possible.

April 21, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  30. Kristen - University Park, PA

That is incredibly scary to think your finance could be a murder leading a double life. Wow, I think any persons first instinct would be to support their finance but after a while reality will sink in to her, if not I'm sure her family and friends will.

April 21, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  31. Jeanette

I haven't heard any of the evidence against him yet, but they usually don't charge someone unless they have good evidence.

I'm like you Ken, I really wonder what has happened to people. Seems like anything can go on today. Hope Megan doesn't blindly protect him after she hears proof of his guilt. Don't be in denial girl.

April 21, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  32. Shirley

Sometimes we get small little signs that we should or should not do something. Megan, pay attention...it is what it is...! I bet Lacy Peterson would like to have a say in this.

April 21, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  33. Gayle Cartwright

Scott Peterson looked like a nice sweet wholesome young man look what he did to his prenant wife Stacy. He now sits on Death Row.
    Some people should get a grip looks mean nothing.

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  34. carmen tickal

Postpone that wedding!!

April 21, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  35. Isabel

It must be very difficult for a person be surprised to know that someone of his living (and trust) is not exactly correct, but life, for often it is hard and it is necessary to accept the reality.

Married? I would not do!

April 21, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  36. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang, Philippines

Run! and dash for your life - before its too late!

He may be the murderer-or maybe not! But, its better to cautious than play 'dumb dumb'!

Or better do the investigation herself! It will help a lot - justice to the victims!-and to her hubby-to-be (if proven innocent!).

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  37. kim

No she should not marry him.

April 21, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  38. Jessica

This woman is delusional..She's lucky he got caught, she coudl easily have been his next victom.

April 21, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  39. gamerzinfo

run away, be free...run away...this guy is a whacko. I am all for innocent until proven guilty....but our law enforcement does not generally arrest without substantial evidece. why woudl he go for "erotic" services if he was about to be happily married? Was it his pseudo bachelor party?

April 21, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  40. hazel

sheesh. I just am on my way back from a very very traumatic marriage where my husband started living a double life - having a mistress and pretending to "fix" what was left of our marriage. He had me fooled that he was trying his best to get himself together... only to find out months later that he has been in an affair (with a friend of ours!) ...

what's going on with the world today?!!?

I know love can blind Ms. McAllister - it did the same to me for months before I finally trusted my instincts and did my own investigation til I found out about the double life...

I hope she doesn't have to end up marrying him and then regretting it .. or worse, not living long enough.

April 21, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  41. Glo

One word of advice for Megan McAllister... Run Megan, run!

April 21, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  42. Ken Markle

Its possible that this man lead two lives, but it really does not make sense. But look what we just seen in the Cantu murder by the Sunday School teacher. I am to a point that I believe anything is possible. This world has gone crazy!

April 21, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  43. Macy

Run Forrest Run! I hope she doesn't marry him. Not until he is proven innocent/guilty. Absolutely not!

April 21, 2009 at 10:56 am |