April 17th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/17/09

Tonight on 360°, bullied to death. A child taunted at school takes his own life. Who's to blame?

And could the school have stopped the teasing? Carl Joseph Walker Hoover’s mom says kids taunted him saying "you act gay" and "you look gay." Today thousands of students across America participated in a Day of Silence to draw attention to anti-gay harassment in schools. We’ll have all the angles.

And, don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on bullying and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I second Cessy's comment....

April 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Jon Gold

I think we can all agree the pirates are criminals. We all agree the ocean is a mighty large area for the Navy to patrol. If a distress signal come from a ship in peril it would be logistically difficult for a Navy ship to come to the aid of a threatened, isolated vessel.
    Ok, I get that,
    The last time I heard we had some very sophisticated aircraft that could get to the scene rapidly. I'm no military expert, but what part of air support am I missing here?
    Let;s stop this piracy now.
    Jon Gold, Valdez, New Mexico

April 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  3. EDWARD (Miami Beach)

Just getting hang of this blogging.

April 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The parents of these tormentors are even more responsible! My heart goes out to Carl's mother and the rest of his family and friends.

April 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I can't watch the story/interview with Ms. Walker without tears coming to my eyes. The idea that we haven't done more to stop this horrible behavior is so disheartening. I can only hope this story has a part in helping end this horrible abuse of innocent kids.

The idea that people would stand against hate crime laws honestly makes me sick. If this doesn't show the need for increased protection from such behavior, I don't what what does.

6. Emma

Bullying seems to be getting worse and worse. I think parents and schools should take an active part in educating kids about tolerance. School officials cannot just throw their hands in the air and claim that they can't do more....there's plenty that they can do.

7. Jacqueline, NY

Dodie, there are dominate female bullies, too who learn from other female bullies. I really don't think it's a gender thing. There are many different variables such as lack of self confidence, envy, plain old meanness, etc. It really doesn't have to be all that deep. I am not saying it is right. I myself, have always resented it, but bullying is as old as the world.

8. Chris

Well, I know how he felt.

When I was in 6th Grade, I was bullied beyond belief, all the students had called me "Gay", "a Faggot", and other names like it. Even my best friend said that he had done it, to not be bullied himself. I felt so bad, but I never contemplated, and stuck out the year, by ignoring all of them. My school did not have an anti-bulling policy, and should have one.

I think that schools should actually take these kids that are bullies and reprimand them. I think enough is enough, too many kids have commited suicide or have become emotionally scarred for the rest of their lives.

9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

God, this story really upsets me. I'm really making an effort to shut up (and breath deeply).

10. Maren in Oregon

the School Board member's inabiity to know wht the school could have done differently . "Policy & Procedure" is not the meat of the issue. It's the daily ignorance of staff and administration, the failure of teachers and hall monitors, the disasterous decision not to remove him from that school. Everyone failed Carl Walker-Hoover

11. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

schools do not follow the policies. They're more worried about costs for the school...
    those children? I think all of this "newly found" sadness is just fake, all for the cameras...
    makes me sick...

12. Ruth

My heart goes out to Carl's mom and family 😦 As we are nearing the 10th anniversary of the Columbine shooting, it's important now more than ever that kids learn the painful lessons of how bullying and harrasment can have horrifing and sometimes deadly effects. Why??? Why did a sweet little boy that had everything going for him would take his life???

13. Carey Hobart

Regarding the release of the torture papers by the Obama Admin....we have to be, as this administration has declared, more transparent in our gov't. The world is about so much more than us! We have to be humane ,to be respected, to be heard, and to hold up our heads. It's a lesson we can all be reminded of, to treat everyone with dignity and respect. It must start at home and we have to own it.

14. Heather - Spokane, WA

Schools need to step up their game more with bullying. People do not realize the mental stress that it brings and it affects people into adulthood especially since our personalities develop at that age. It needs to stop or else we will have more problems with things like this and more school shootings.

15. Samantha M.

following policy and procedure, apparently, isn't enough. obviously more needs/needed to be done.

16. Cessy, Chicago

Yeay! great to see Randi Kaye! Great segment on Bullying...

17. Elaine, Des Moines, IA

What a sad story.....something should've been done. My prayers go to his mother.

18. cicly

this leaves me so upset and angry. we hear this same old same old every time tis kind of tragedy happens- again and again and again. i hate it.

19. Brandi - bottom of the boot

my sons teachers took part in the bullying. one even admitted to it!

oh my, i know her pain so well, i also had to cut down my son, perform cpr, and screamed hysterically at the top of my lungs for God to let me keep him.

my son also got many letters of apology from those that tortured him.

20. Donata, Amarillo, TX

Anderson you just hit the nail on the head. These comments need to be made equal to racial slurs. And as far as the teachers etc not hearing everything, a school can create an enviroment where the "community" will self police. Yes...it takes a lot of work to create this enviroment, but it is possible.

21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The school is responsible for this. The children doing the taunting should have been dealt with severly!

22. Craig

Anderson Your the best,Thank you for reporting this very important story.My prayers go out to his familly..

23. jane MI

Good evening everyone
    Just joining in now...My 10yr old had just walked in on the Chavez/
    Cuba clip and didn't miss a beat when he said"Obama's brave" Hopefully there will be some positive changes in relations in the near future...

24. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Often the children tease others without adults being around! So very sad. Unfortunately it takes something like this before we make changes...

25. Esma

We need to do as much as we can to educate the educators on the issue of bullying. Anderson had a wonderful point the other night when he said that if the bullies had picked on Carl b/c of his race, they would have been expelled, but b/c they assigned a sexual orientation (which it doesn't matter what that orientation was), the issue was ignored. That is criminal. My heart goes out to Carl's family, I am so sorry that the school failed you.

26. Fay - California

Schools are notoriously lax when it comes to protecting their students from bullies – there have been too many instances where kids like Carl have been pushed to the edge, either hurting themselves or lashing out at others.

27. ericacnn

@Rikki – Rose gave me a copy of her CD. Can't wait to listen to it this wkd.

I have to plug Scott Case's blog again - great info on malaria and how we can all help. http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/17/twittering-for-a-good-cause/

28. Isabel (Brazil)

Witnesses, other students, live together with violence and are silent because of fear of becoming the "next victims." Although not directly suffer from the attacks, many may feel uncomfortable with what they see and insecure about what to do.

29. Lori from IL

Good discussion on the torture issue again tonight.

re: bullying - 40 some years ago the word used was "sissy" - not sure much has changed, other than the language used. Team 360 –Glad you are bringing this story to light - hopefully it will help effect change.

Can't imagine the mother having to cut her own son down - how devestating for her - something that will haunt her the rest of her life. My prayers certainly go out to her.

30. Kathy, Chicago

How horrible for a Mom to have to cut down her son.

31. Carmella

It is very obvious the school did not take the matter seriously.

32. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Such a sad story...I can't imagine the devastation that Carl's mom is going through...

...Schools really REALLY need to have and enforce a 0 tolerance if suspending all of those students is what it takes so that this doesn't happen again...then that is what needs to be done...

April 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Man, this school district needs to step-up to the plate. Too much denial and buck-passing going on. Really pathetic.

April 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Isabel (Brazil)

Those who practice Bullying against their colleagues may lead to adult life the same anti-social behavior, adopting aggressive attitudes within family (domestic violence) or on the work environment.

April 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Joe T.

It was either right or wrong to use those interrogation techniques.
    There is no little bit pregnant here. We, the people, have a right to know what was done during the Bush years. If they did nothing wrong, then there is nothing to hide. Exposing this is not hurting our national security. It just exposes the Bush/Cheney disinformation.

April 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

No goof comes from hurting threre is no need for this extreme violent against human beings.

April 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Anthonia-california

Heey!! TGIF!

My prayers go out to the family whose son killed himself..
    Such a sad story

April 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

What's wrong with being flamboyant? Acting gay? There's nothing wrong with it..

April 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. carolyn cee yah

im sorry but i dont get it children at their age calling another child
    gay how would they know about what's gay and what's not.

April 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Isabel (Brazil)

Schools omit themselves and are negligent in most cases.

April 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Lauren--NY

Back at you, Erica & Anderson. I hope the lovely Rose Gray is enjoying her visit.

Thank you for covering the Day of Silence. I participated all through high school and one year of college, and it was one of the more rewarding experiences in my life.

Anderson, I heard the UDel lecture went extremely well–I had a close friend attend and he said it was excellent and it was a great mix of wisdom and humor. Thanks for making it worth his while.

April 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Chris...the whole prosecution issue is just lighting a fire that would extend from administration to administration to administration, endlessly. I would love nothing better than to slam thje Bush administration but do you want Obama to be prosecuted for something in retrospect, once his term is done?

April 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Mike Syracuse, NY

Terrorist killed 3000 Americans on 9/11, these interrogations killed no one. In fact no one was even permanently harmed.

April 17, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Lynn

President Obama will not allow torture in investigations from now so the argument that he has used secret techniques that were used are not really valid. Even John McCain who truly understands toryure agrees with the president.

If Bush/Cheny lied about torture, exaggerated about WMD, failed to wage a successful invasion, how can we trust their claims that torture kept America safe??

April 17, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Eugenia - San Francisco, Ca

Susan Boyle says she predicts one big change:
    "I certainly won't be lonely anymore"

I think I love this lady, hopefully people won't try and take advantage of her.

April 17, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Cessy, Chicago

Anderson–how about another twitter battle between you and Ellen Degeneres? If you lose, you dance on her show?! 😀

April 17, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Told that story to one of my friends in AP European history about the boy committing suicide. We are both bi-sexual and can't imagine how to be bullied. I think demographics have to deal with bullying about sexual orientation at schools. My school has no problem with it. We need to teach kids about this kind of harassment.

April 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Jonny, KY

Mr. Gergen, I adore you, but I agree with Mark Danner. No "nods" to torture. We just can't do that. It'll destroy us.

I hope AC360 has Mark Danner on more! Very knowledgeable man.

April 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  49. starr formerly known as vincent

Good Evening Anderson, crew, Erica, David G, and everyone else on 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers, sorry i am late...no TV until now due to snow blizzard in north NM.

My impression, during the Bush/Cheney years, was that prettu much ANYthing goes as long as it's a suspected terrorist! I think that attitude from the top allowed for Abu Garab!

NOTE: I got the twitter last night and thought i signed on to follow-good thing i checked, when i went back i found that you had to follow CNNBRK twice! I finally was singed up. Don't know if anyone else had that problem.

April 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  50. gail

Prosecution is the ideal and the President has not ruled out prosecutions at the top. However, we can not afford to let the political circus that these prosecutions would be to derail the legislative things we need to get done. I remember impeachment and nothing got done.

April 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm |