April 15th, 2009

Stockpiling guns - and America divided

Editor's note: See Sean's full report tonight on AC360 at 10PM ET.

Sean Callebs
CNN Correspondent

It's striking how two people can look at the same thing and see something entirely different.

A gun, for example.

I've talked with a number of Americans buying weapons - lots of them.

And I took a few shots with an AR15 semi-automatic weapon.

This gun - and don’t call it a weapon - is really at the core of a disconnect in this country between gun enthusiasts and people calling for more gun control.

One side says, “why on earth would anyone outside the military want to own something like that.. why is it even legal?”

That view drives defenders of the 2nd amendment up the wall. Here's what attorney Sean Healy told us.

"There is definitely a disconnect, there are some groups of people that don’t know much about guns, they have never been around them or exposed to them, and they don’t know how to handle them safely. And so if all they know about then is what they hear about them in the press or see on tv or hear from politicians, then sometimes they can be afraid of them.

"To another group of people (a gun) is like a tool, like a hammer - it's safe," Healy went on to say. "If you are member of the group that does not understand guns, you may think that criminals are the only ones who use guns, and there aren’t any legitimate uses for them. And I think once you become familiar with them, and their safety, you want people to have guns."

Filed under: 360° Radar • Gun Control • Sean Callebs
  1. Ken

It's simple. Guns prevent more crimes from being committed than there are actual crimes committed with a gun.

If my wife was alone in the house at night and a stranger broke in and tried to rape her, damn straight I'd want her to have a gun.

April 17, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  2. Mike M.

Answering this question should close the debate. If your mother was asleep in her own house and someone broke in and was in the act of killing her 1) do you want to be unarmed and helpless and watch her die or 2) have a gun and kill the guy?

I love my mother more than some stranger breaking into the house.

For all the liberals. I don't care what his upbringing, social circumstance, income bracket, color, religion, etc. There is no time to have a conversation with him. He is killing your mother in a matter of minutes.

He is killing my mother and he must be punised.

April 16, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  3. RLWellman

You can outlaw all the guns and the only ones who will have them will be outlaws. If the existing laws that we already have would be enforced we wouldn't have the problems. Even so, if new laws were made, who would enforce them? Especially since the laws we already have are not enforced.

April 16, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  4. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

It is not the "weapon" we should fear--–but more those who own them---for the weapon will only deliver based on the user-and the weapon can be your best friend-–or your worse enemy.

April 16, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  5. Sherry Clark

I come down on the “why on earth would anyone outside the military want to own something like that.. why is it even legal?” side. It seems our country is arming itself and doing it with an attitude that is dangerous and scary. There are an awful lot of angry gun owners now who, it seems, are just waiting for the chance to use those guns to "protect themselves." I hope and pray I am wrong about this feeling I am sensing in this country.

April 15, 2009 at 9:59 pm |
  6. John Doe

There is no need for a gun. Give me 5 pros to top the 5 cons.

April 15, 2009 at 9:58 pm |
  7. Justin Continuum Q5

Everyone has a gun then what people still live only in more terror?
    Crazy?
    Justin Continuum Q5

April 15, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  8. Barbara in Boston

Wow, what an extreme view, Mr. Healey. I really disagree with you.

I was raised around guns. I grew up in Colorado. My step-father taught me how to shoot a rifle when I was a kid. I understand that a lot of people use guns responsibly. I know that a lot of others don't.

One fall, we went for a drive in the mountains. It was during hunting season. The car in front of us stopped, the driver got out, leveled his gun across the roof of a car and shot across oncoming traffic at a deer. I had seldom seen my step-father so angry.

I wish I could say that was an isolated incident, but it's not. Additionally, what do you say about assault rifles? Under what possible justification can an ordinary American citizen possess one?

Sorry Mr. Healey, but the gun issue is not as black and white as you portray it.

April 15, 2009 at 9:17 pm |