March 27th, 2009

Dear President Obama #67: This is ground control to Major...Bomb?

North Korea's Kim Jong Il

North Korea's Kim Jong Il

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Reporter’s Note: Our President has asked for ideas about how to run the government. No doubt many citizens are writing, and I am nothing if not a slave to fashion; therefore I am sending a letter a day to the White House.

Dear Mr. President,

No matter how much trouble the economy is in, no matter what problems are boiling on the border, no matter which nut you have writing letters to you every day, you can always count on the North Koreans for a few good laughs.

I’m not just talking about Kim Jong-il’s haircut, although I have to admit that is funnier than Bernie Madoff running naked through a car wash. Nor is it that droll practical joke he plays from time to time by letting his people nearly starve to death. Nope, I’m referring to this missile he’s pushed out to the launch pad. And I guess I have to admit, it’s not that funny.

The dauntless Mr. Kim’s government says “Hey, this is just a satellite launch. Relax. Smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em.” But no one seems to be buying that. The betting line holds that the “satellite” is a cover for the big NK figuring out if it could hit someone with a missile-borne weapon. Uh, like us, for example. The missile in question is suspected of being able to reach Hawaii or Alaska. (No giggling. I know you and Sarah Palin have your differences, but this is serious.)

The international community, as you know, is all in a kerfuffle over this, especially since the UN Security Council warned North Korea about such shenanigans. I think it went like this, “If you kids test one more missile, I’m pulling this planet over and there will be hell to pay!” And of course, your Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, is calling it a “provocative act.” I think she’s wrong. A provocative act is what Britney Spears does.

Japan seems to be the nation most directly considering just shooting this missile down, but I know you have to be talking that option over with your Pentagon pals. I can’t imagine how that feels; actually contemplating that with a word, you can direct the military to strike another nation, or at least one of its potential weapons.

Still, I suspect you should not delay the decision on what your reaction will be. This is one of your first real international tests, and you don’t want to be caught still making up your mind, when Mr. Kim finally finds some matches and lights the fuse.

Call me if you get a moment. Don’t use the red phone.

Regards,

Tom

1. Aynes

We are so naive in America! This letter Tom , to the president, is no giggling matter. I just pray we are not so naive that we believe that Kim Jong is really "showboating"..... and take this threat seriously.

March 30, 2009 at 5:17 am |
  2. dashnam

Below is the news i read from a website,

"
    US President Barack Obama on Friday affirmed a tripling of US economic aid to Pakistan to $ 1.5 billion annually over the next five
    years, calling it a "down payment" for America’s future security even though he unambiguously accused the country of being a safe haven for al-Qaida and its leadership. ""

My question is

Why Obama is funding Pakistan, when lot of other countries in Africa
    are struggling for their daily bread? is this a way to boost economy?? is this a way to boost National security in USA?? i don't know... is this a different strategy??

He said "no spending on war" and got votes and power. Now .......

just a comment... no politics......

March 27, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  3. Mari

@ meenas17......... Yes, the president is besieged with all types of crisis, however, I want President Obama to be slow to react. We've had enough of "cowboy diplomacy" its time for someone to think-outside-the-box.

Sometimes the best diplomacy is to do nothing and wait and see what the insane leader of N. Korea does. Could very well be that his missile test is a complete farce.

March 27, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  4. saab

Obama's administration is challenged with so many national and international issues, if media stays focused on presenting relevant facts without digressing on to irrelevant details, will help population better informed and encourages them to take part to improve the current situation. Obama's administration is on the job, trying to address all core issues, if they are corrected, the rest is assured, however, it requires cooperation and collaboration from everyone. Constructive critiquing is important as long as it is addressing issues, not personalities. We are so used to staged / practiced speech, completely alienated from natural human plain simple talk. This is where the Media plays a key role, media can channelize and direct people in the right direction by helping nations and world would be on the road to recovery soon which is need of the hour.

March 27, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  5. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Kim Jong---a Napoleonic cry for international recognition-–time will tell-and the US will issue a press release condeming the launch-–we can't afford to engage in another conflict--but we can engage in a final conflict--your call Kim Jong-–choose wisely--and by the way-–Sam Walmart sends his regards--not to say that that will have anything to do with your decision.

March 27, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  6. Rene Shepard

This will be BO's breaking point. I do not believe he ever thought through the idea of being president well enough to realize HE would be the one to call for the death of a fellow human being, except in how his policies cause people to starve to death here, in the US.

I just came from a crating company that has been in business for 40 years. They lost a car company from here in Tulsa. That was 25 % of their business. My friend doesn't know what he will do. He's worked there for 32 years.

So yea, lets let NK keep up its bs, maybe we can do something about them later..I don't know with what money.. but hey, we can print some more, right?

March 27, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  7. meenas17

Economy is not the only head ache for Obama.
    Another catastrophe is from Korea, in the form of missile., which appears to be a covering to something big.
    The President has to react quickly , as this poses to be his first international test.
    Obama has little time to stand and stare.

March 27, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  8. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Dear Tom: It is Kim Jong's way of crying out and seeking international regognition-it would appear that his cerebral vascular accident is showing cause and effect. I think this is what you would call "showboating,"--of course my comment is purely conjecture. Of course if he launches the missile--the proof will be in who will be the first to take action---and if I know history-–wait until you see the white of their eyes before you fire-–and Walmart says--just let the kid play.

March 27, 2009 at 11:50 am |