March 19th, 2009

Morning Buzz: Anderson Goes To College

Anderson will report live from Hofstra University in Long Island, NY tonight.
Anderson will report live from Hofstra University in Long Island, NY tonight.

Penny Manis
AC360° Senior Producer

Anderson presents his show live from Hofstra University in Long Island, NY as he continues his USA road trip bringing you stories about how the economy is affecting Americans in different pockets of the country.

You will hear about college bargain hunting- are more parents and students setting their sights on state schools vs. private schools, given the former are less pricey? That said, state schools may be seeing their budgets cut too these days, and are scholarships and financial aid tougher to come by?

President Obama continues his road trip to California. He’ll hold a town hall meeting later this afternoon with Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in attendance, pushing his plans to overhaul health care, energy and education. You can bet he’ll continue to get questions about AIG too.

He has been defending his administration’s handling of the controversy over millions in bonuses paid by insurance giant which received billions in bailout money. The big surprise came from Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd though, who told our CNN political unit that he was responsible for language added to the federal stimulus bill to make sure that already-existing contracts for bonuses at companies receiving federal bailout money were honored. What’s that about? We’ll follow this story tonight.

Good news from the Fed, which says it’s injecting one trillion dollars into the economy by buying up treasury bonds and mortgage securities that is pushing mortgage rates lower. It could be good news for those trying to buy a house or looking to re-finance, and Ali will explain.

Ali sits down with Treasury Secretary Geithner later, and given all the above, it should be a very interesting chit chat!

Gary Tuchman has a story cooking on The New Frugality: the rich are curbing their spending, the middle class is eating canned soup, the poor are counting pennies—this economy has everyone tightening their belts across the spectrum in what is the biggest consumer economy in the world.

We have all this and more, see you at 10pet.

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. Debbie, Louisiana

I think it is a misconception about big money colleges being better than smaller universities that are not as wel known. I am currenly working on my MBA at a smaller state university. I compared the cirriculum to other univeristies at it was identical. The faculty is also outstanding. It's like when Anderson talks about not being able to find a job right after he finished at Yale- a big name university doesn't mean that anything is a given except bigger student loan debt (although probably not in Anderson's case). The return on your investment is the most important thing in a decision about education. I have a friend that graduated from LSU and he now writes for the Wall Street Journal-and by the way, he is a phenomenal writer. So I think it's the person behind the degree that matters the most.

About Natasha Richardson... I can't stop thinking about her. I just rented a movie called "Evening" with Natasha and her mother. It was a beautiful depcition of mother-daughter relationships. She was a truly gifted lady and her death is such a tragedy. I pray for her family. It just reinforces the truth that life is so fraile...

March 19, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  2. Lori from IL

I have to say - I'm glad AC360 covered the tragic death of Natasha Richardson last night. I think it gave us a time for pause and to reflect on things more important than all the doom and gloom economic news we've been hearing day in and day out.

Not sure how well Anderson knew Natasha and don't feel that's important to this discussion. We all know that the death of a friend or loved one carries not only the burden of that loss, but often causes the vivid reminders of others close to us that we have lost.

I'm currently watching a loved one lose his battle with cancer and while gieving this - it's also causing many flashbacks to my father's similar fight and loss over 16 years ago. I admire Anderson for going on the air last night in his true to form, "professional" manner –

March 19, 2009 at 9:37 pm |
  3. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Verry good show last night agin,you looked rally verry shocked about the death of Natasha Richadson.It looked verry truthful and human.If such tragedeys happened,you have every right to change your program to show your respect to this wonderful acter.I am so sorry for their family.

March 19, 2009 at 9:36 pm |
  4. Whitney, Redlands, CA

I agree with everyone else that is finding it a little funny that on the day of "college bargain hunting" Anderson is at Hofstra. Don't get me wrong it is a great school, but it doesn't come cheap. It's nearly $45,000 a year. I went there and i had some great professors, but it was way overpriced. No joke it was $4.50 for a bowl of cereal in the student center. Not to mention how terrible they are at offering financial aid, unless of course you play sports...

March 19, 2009 at 9:24 pm |
  5. Philoan Tran - Houston

As someone who had received a good and free education from a private university for undergraduate and equally good but paid education from a state university for my JD, I think that it is a fundamental right for every young person to receive a good education from a private or state university if he/she wishes too and the government should provide available means (grants, loans etcs) and to make sure that the job market is there when the young person graduates!

March 19, 2009 at 9:23 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

I liked the show last night; the part on Natasha Richardson especially as it highlighted the importance of medical treatment or a check after what seemed to be a minor bump on the head. The explanation of what might have happened by the neurologist from Emory was quite understandable and impressed upon me about how easily and quickly something can go terribly wrong with our brains.

On the AIG situation can Congress pass a law that is retroactive?? I always thought laws were enforced for things that happened after passage, not before passage. Is there a precedent here for this type of action?

March 19, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  7. Isabell, Indiana

@ anne,nfld,canada; Claire; Emma; and B.

I am touched by the caring and concern you expressed by defending Anderson’s dedication to Natasha on AC360 last night. When I read Cindy’s post, I was also shocked by her insensitivity. Possibly she has never experienced the terrible, gut-wrenching pain and shock of unexpectedly losing a loved one and that is why she is so cold in the face of Anderson’s loss.

March 19, 2009 at 8:22 pm |
  8. Karol Grutz

Once again, Congress is outraged after the damage is done. Now they’re playing the blame game and pointing fingers but that’s just a smokescreen for the real problem. They are looking for scapegoats to mask the fact they were asleep at the wheel. The AIG fiasco is just a symptom of our country’s problems. All this “outrage” is just a distraction to the reality that they sold their votes to special interests and lobbyists to get re-elected and then turned their backs on early warnings of this current debacle. Let’s just see how many of them took money from AIG… And, instead of asking for resignations from AIG or Geitner, maybe they need to look in the mirror and consider their own resignations.

Until we have term limits and people that truly serve their constituents, nothing will really change. Nobody should serve this country longer than the President. I look forward to the day when I get my country and its values back and we’re not mired in doublespeak B.S.

March 19, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  9. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I think the call to cover Natasha Richardson's death was appropriate. Breaking news trumps the original schedule sometimes. When the breaking news unfortunately involves the tragic death of a friend of the host, it will take precedence. This woman was not just an actress. She was an activist, a role model for what is right about the entertainment industry, and from Anderson's reaction last night apparently a pretty amazing person and friend. I've been where he was more times than I care to count. For me, the friend wasn't famous, and I could crawl into a ball and fall apart. He didn't get those options.

As for college, I'm there right now. I'm trying to decide on private school to sub-specialize in spiritual direction (I have a PhD in counselor ed, and this would take it to another level). Or I could go the public school cheaper route to sub-specialize in creative writing as a therapeutic tool (which would take the PhD in counselor ed to another level in a different way). I don't want to use cheap as the criteria to determine which direction my career needs to go next, and I am leaning toward the more expensive degree program simply because I don't want to cheat myself out of my heart's desire. I do hope students don't make choices that will impact forever based simply on economic fears of the day. Sometimes I think we have to throw caution out the window and go for what we really know will be the best for us in the long-run.

March 19, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  10. march

well here is on other one that dos not relade , but is importent
    it is about term life insurance the insurance make the premiums folder poeple so high that they can not afford it anymore even after you have paid in almost all of the money,so the only joice the have let it go,and loose all the money they already paid in do. i sure would llike to see something done about it.

March 19, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  11. xtina, chicago IL

Sory but when I saw "Anderson Goes to College", I can't get the picture out of my mind of the book:
    "Curious George Goes to the Zoo". No offense please

March 19, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  12. Sarah, Canterbury - UK

Natasha Richardson and her family are very well known here in the UK and many are shocked by her sudden death. She leaves behind a young family.

It is only right that as a friend, AC spent a few moments on this event. If people don't like it turn over!

Her death was apparently caused by a head injury, if anything else this serves as a reminder to us all how important it is to seek medical help and how devastating such a trauma can be.

March 19, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  13. Mary

You want honesty Cindy...have have read your comments for some time and you my dear are a bore!

March 19, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  14. L L, Bayside, NY

I agree with you Cindy, in fact a lot of people didn't know the star including me. No matter what, it was quite sad to see a minor fall in snow turned the beautiful woman into a tragic death. I don't know if Anderson just knew Natasha or a good friend of her, however we should be mindful when Dr. Wendy Wright said a comprehensive check up after a fall or a car crash is always necessary, regardless. That may be the reason that Anderson spent quite some time to report it last night.

March 19, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  15. Meg W.

First, I wanted to thank Anderson Cooper for coming to speak at Hofstra University this afternoon. On the issue of college affordability, the cost of receiving a higher education is astronomically out of control. I chose to attend a private college with the understanding that the higher price tag bought a higher quality of education with smaller class sizes and personal attention from faculty. Unfortunatly, I will be paying this debt off for at least the next 20 years. Although I do not have experience with a state school, I think those institutions also offer advantages to their students. Even the cost of attending a 4 year NYS SUNY school is still unaffordable for many. I am looking forward to tonight's episode and I hope it can shed some light on the risky financial positions many young people feel they have to take just to receive an education.

March 19, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  16. uche

where on campus will he be broadcasting from? i would like to join in.

March 19, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  17. penelope

So let me get this straight... AIG execs, demand their bonuses, even though1) they did a suckie job, 2) know that they don't deserve it ( which is just my opinion), and 3)AIG doesn't have the money to pay them a bonus. Oh and wait...... if they don't get it..... then ...... they'll sue? (Rolling my eyes) That sounds like a threat! I say let them sue. See if they get their money. AND good luck to them. you can't get what's not there. Right? [Background on my view: I used to play double dutch when I was a girl and if someone dropped the ends you were allowed to 'pay' (payback) on them. of course you had your little play ground extortionists who would try to drop the ends and then use the "payin" rule against you , but to them I would say "well... it's gonna be a payin game" ].( But I was a very weird kid) Anywho AIG doesn't have the money to pay them their bonuses, so they already lost that money. At this point they would be suing the American people. All I can say is I'm not surprised, you give some people an inch and they'll take a mile. I'd like to meet the person who drew up the contracts for these execs and have a heart to heart about common sense,how contracts are legally binding,and how to know when someone might be planning to taking advantage of you in the future. ?That being said, I don't know the full story... but from what I've heard it's not looking good at all!!!

March 19, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  18. Dilek, NY

I don't think that a bar was the best choice to have the show. Too loud and didn't show anything about the struggles of the people of Detroit.

I also have to say that I am very excited about tonight's show. I will be going off to college in a year and I think that the smartest thing you can do right now is save your money, go to a public university and spend your money on graduate school. College in the US is so expensive that it's ridiculous. Plus going off to a public university doesn't mean that you won't get your money's worth. Most of us (including me) don't have the luxury of spending $40,000 a year for an undergraduate degree.

March 19, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  19. Gail Duncan

Look, step a second and realize we put ourselves in this situation. We are the government and we let all this happen. Now, let's look at it from deep inside each and everyone of us and contribute to change. Starting with ourselves. What are our views for a better tomorrow? What is top on our list for a better life? Do we want to see crime and hatred increase and if not how can we curve this? What is a human being and what is peace all about? Fundamental folks. Now we must search within our heart for truth......should we dare to. Besides our ego and selfishness, what is a better picture of tomorrow for us? What can money not buy? We must ask ourselves these questions and dare to be truthful with the answers. Are we ready?

March 19, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  20. Hofstra Law Student

My story – graduating Hofstra law in May with no job prospects and a student loan balance of $194,000! Perhaps Anderson will air my story?

March 19, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  21. Beth

I had the pleasure of going to both types of schools, SUNY (State University of New York) for my undergraduate degree and Hofstra University (private school) for my Masters degree (recent 08 grad) :-) While my experience was great in both places, I felt that I got more education for my money at my SUNY school. Of course, it didn't offer all that Hofstra has to offer, Div. 1 sports, Law school, much less snow, but I felt that the SUNY school challenged their students more and their professors conducted research and were considered pros in their field.
    I think, too, that it's kind of ironic, how CNN is doing a show called "College bargin-hunting" at Hofstra. At $850 per credit (and no in-state tuition breaks), for a 3 credit course it will run you $2550 per class, and if you're in a graduate program where you could take upwards of at least 36 credits, those 2 years will cost you $91,800...I could have gone to my state school for 20 years and not pay that much. Oh well! And we wonder why loans are being defaulted... Thank god for scholarships and graduate assistantships!
    Should be interesting to watch...well for me anyway. :-)

March 19, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  22. B.

It’s important to be constructive in what we say, you can be constructive at the same time be honest and say as it is…there’s a time a place for everything. I know it’s hard to really grasp or empathize w/ certain situation unless you have actually experienced the situation (whatever it may be)! We all have jobs to do, but let’s not forget we are all humans, we all have personal lives… I am so thankful no one told me yesterday I was sucking at my job… I was actually fortunate enough to draw my strength from the bearer of the bad news… Let’s not forget about Anderson’s past and his experiences and be mindful of it during this time.

March 19, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  23. Cindy

WOW..some people. If these people were honest on here they'd tell the truth about how they felt about last nights show. These same people who are now trying to criticize me are the same ones all over the net always downing 360 and Anderson with every click of the keys! Isn't that right?

Some on here are afraid to tell the truth because lord help if Anderson gets mad at you or something! That doesn't mean that we all kiss up and say it was great. It wasn't. I tell it like I see it no matter what Anderson or anyone else thinks! The show was not good at all.

Natasha's death was sad, I never said it wasn't. But it didn't warrant to be talked about for so long even if Anderson did know her. They don't go on and on about big name celebs that die. Come on!

Cindy..Ga.

March 19, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  24. G. Martinez

Anderson needs to work on the topics on this blog. Here are some questions/ideas of some of the really pressing issues that this nation should be addressing:
    - The high cost to America of the current public school monopoly on education
    - Who will actually tackle the entire illegal immigration issue
    - The Catholic Church and its problems with pedophilia
    - Why did the economy get so bad? Where was the media when this was happening?
    - The Israeli and Palestinian war, will it ever end in peace after 3,000 years of bloodshed
    - Why are there no bankers in prison after this economic meltdown?
    - Why is Washington so willing to bail out the powerful interests and so concern when there is talk about bailing out individual homeowners?
    - Where is all the money that AIG, Citibank, and others made during the good years? Why do they need to rob the taxpayers when they then have a couple of bad years?
    - Why did two oilmen go to war in Iraq, a nation rich in oil?
    - Why are American cars so substandard when compared to Japanese models?
    - What is America really producing these days?
    - Why do the American people continue to buy the Washington spin?

March 19, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  25. Emma

@Cindy, speak for yourself. Most people know who Natasha Richardson was. However, even if she was unknown, her sudden death was both shocking and tragic. If the various reports are correct, she had a minor fall and didn't hit her head on anything. It scares me that a simple fall could be fatal. Dedicating 10-15 minutes of the show to her life and death was more than appropriate.

Also, I hope all of the AIG execs return their bonuses...it would be the admirable thing to do....though I'm not holding my breath.

March 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  26. Douglas A. Evans

Whatever happened to ROSS PEROT? Back in the 1990's he warned America about dangers with the NAFTA Treaty. He even debated Al Gore on Larry King Live. For some reason nobody in the newsmedia brings up his name. Why? It would be nice if Anderson Cooper & Co. would sit down with Mr. Perot and get his take on what has happened to our country in the last few months.

March 19, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  27. Claire

Are you kidding me, Cindy? You don't believe that someone's death that did all kinds of good things for this world including a lot of work for Aids charities and, by the way, happens to be a friend of the host of the show warrents some discussion?

I'm sorry but that is so insensitive.... just because you don't know who she is doesn't mean she didn't mean something to others (including Anderson).

March 19, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  28. Chelsey Edwards

I just have to say I am 13 and I watch AC360 every night. Yesterday was not your best show. It was too loud where Anderson was. We didn't get any information about how Detroit and the veiwer question thing is kinda getting sad. I must say that is was a good idea and I know that you and your team are slaving yourselfs hopping on planes and going around to these hard hit areas and it was an extremly good effort but, it need to be a little bit more organized. But what do I know I'm just a 13 yr. old girl living in Canada.

Keep up the great work !!!!!!

March 19, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  29. anne,nfld,canada

@ Cindy ,March 19,2009 9 05 pm:

it seems that the news of the death of Anderson's friend somehow inconvenienced your need for news last night.The man seemed upset about her passing,the least he could do was be given time and opportunity on HIS OWN show to have a moving tribute to her.
    He had mentioned when this first took place ,that she was a friend,did you think he would not bother to talk about her when she died?

If you wanted news,perhaps change the channel.
    I thought the piece the show did was respectful,and Anderson's words came from his heart.I cannot believe anyone would say anything negative about the show,nor him,for doing it.Perhaps HE thought it was more important to devote time to her, than to what was taking place in Detroit,or in that bar for that matter, last night?

March 19, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  30. earle,florida

Wow, it took alot of soul searching,but Sen. Dodd finally fessed-up. Could this be the same man that used the famous phrase,"As if All the Air, was Sucked out of the Room"when Sec. Trea. Paulson said (8/08) privately in a room with our elitist "We have a fiscal problem"? Yea, the same guy who headed-up the Banking ,"Credit Card Rules,and Regulations Committee" for approx."Twelve Years"and still going! [(Note: Citigroup's, Citi Card -"Global Consumer Group (GCG)Division is the "Largest Issuer" of credit cards around the world ; JP Morgan Chase"s ,"Bank One" is the world's 2nd largest credit card issuer )] Sen. Dodd gets large sums of cash/donations from banking,credit ,and insurance companies to help him with his re-election funding! But,I thought I'd save the best for last,regarding Sen. Dodd campaign contributions which might suprise or not suprise any of you,that being AIG was, and still is ,Sen Chris Dodd (Ct. Dem.) favorite "Top Gun" contributor,...? Thanks

March 19, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  31. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good Morning Penny

The economy continues to go downward the coverage of the A.I.G. Ceo tesifying yesterday was painful it hurts so many people's lives due to the greed and bonuses they have reiceved .I wish they would name names and keep them honest for once . I look forward to Anerson going back to school tonight ,getting to the junior raw politics .

Thanks for the buzz
    Michelle D.

March 19, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  32. Isabel

Good morning, Penny!

Bad night for me, but today is another day! :)

I loved the part in Detroit, unfortunately could not participate as I would like in the liveblog because I was still at work.

Today is New York. I am very curious and I have little knowledge about NY (state). Largest financial and commercial center of the country, and the fourth largest industrial center and huge problems of socio-economic nature – right?

New York has the largest public education system and private US. This comparison between public and private schools will be great!

Gary Tuchman be a great subject very interesting ... the crisis affecting all social classes, but so different, that does not mean that all people do not suffer with the changes imposed by life!

Today will be the day to learn a lot!

March 19, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  33. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Difficult economic times affects us ALL--from the rich to the poor-and depending upon your economic status--we all make adjustments to survive.

March 19, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  34. Cindy

First off just let me say that last night's show was terrible! We got nothing what so ever on Detroit or their plight. All we got was one feel good story of a bunch of artists trying to build up a community and do it green. I didn't get anything out of that at all. How is that supposed to help people that are struggling to live day to day? I thought that we were getting in depth stuff about ordinary people..individual stories. What happened to that last night? Instead we got 15 minutes on the death of Natasha when I'm sorry...most people don't even have a clue as to who she is. That could have been relegated to the Bulletin and been done with. I don't get 360 at all..I just don't!

As to Obama...they all are liars! They knew long ago as proven by Ali about these bonuses. Now Dodd finally let the cat out of the bag that he and Obama and the whole crew made the loophole to make the AIG bonuses possible. Man..I really love Obama's transparency...don't you!?

Cindy..Ga.