March 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/02/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Eric Harbeson

When are we as Americans going to wake up and stop electing politicians? We need true leadership that is honestly not tied to special interests, and politically motivated. Had the new administration ignored the campaign promises and started finding the best solution to our ecconomic problems, we may alredy be balancing the budget and paying back our debt. I want to vote for a free thinker, and a great leader who doesn't need a political party to tell them how to lead.

March 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Roland Martin is completely right, if there is a political party having to rely on a radio talkshow host there is a problem. There needs to be a serious look over on selling their party to the people. As I have always learned in marketing, they need assets that benefit everyone. Limbaugh doesn't.....

March 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  3. B Riley

When Obama took office national debt as 454 billion, in a little over a month, Obama has added 1.5 trillion to the debt. Obama has raised the National Debt 300% in less than 6 weeks. I Rush right or wrong? Time will tell, but with Wall Street tanking since Obama took office, can we afford Obama to succeed?

March 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Emma

I agree with David......as always. Michael Steele made a really stupid mistake today.

5. Brenda

I love Rush! He is not afraid of the liberal media or liberal democrats. He has a HUGE following of people who agree with him. I also hope Obama fails IF his agenda is what it seems to be. Socialism! It has been proven in other countries NOT to work. Passing a stimulus package that was not even read is crazy. Spending all of this money that we don't have it also insane. As taxpayers we have a right to oppose this. I feel like we have a dictator for president now.

6. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Your welcome Megan !

7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gergen is right, Rush is not driving the agenda, but I bet Martin wishes he was so he could have something else to squawk about!

8. Claire

Rush is a big wind bag. He and Ann Coulter would be a great pair together. ICK

9. Shelley

That is funny Esma.

10. Fay - California

The Republicans are bereft of "ideas" for the economy, unless it's tax cuts for the super rich.

11. Jerry, Las Vegas NV

We, have been hit hard here in Las Vegas, with all the talk going on I've never watched so much politics. Now I know why I don;t! The solution is so simple but! before the Gov. takes care of us they have to make sure wall street and all their buddy's get taken care of first! Put the money in our hands and watch the economy grow! Madoff should be in prison! I lost my business, so I re-educated myself and ready to graduate and now what I re-educated for is slowing down. This is not the average persons doing! and yet my credit is getting ruined not my doing how do you or anyone plan to boost people in our position and there lots of us. By the way we're in our 60"s Big mess!

12. Tony

I hope they put Newt in charge; someone who resigned from the House because it was uncovered he was committing adultery!!

13. Glen Up North

Said as simply as I can: Rush Limbaugh makes Howard Stern look like Mr. Rogers. Forget him.

14. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I don't think I could've put it any better than David Frum. A surprise coming from a Republican. I was under the impression that the Right was infatuated with Rush.

15. David Y

Rush is just an entertainer & a Republican cheerleader but I agree the Republicans need to find a more credible & louder voice! They should be able to find a more thoughtful speaker for their events!

16. ericacnn

Thanks, Maren – I'm glad everyone enjoyed it!

17. ashley - willis, tx

I agree with Rush about obama. His plans are going to take us in the wrong direction because he's basically throwing our money in things that are failing already because they spend too much money on things they don't need instead of spending it on what's going to keep them in business. It's a bunch of crap! People always throw what Rush says to the side, but honestly think back to the Texas primaries. Clinton won the vote, not the caucus. She won the vote because we all knew McCain would take Texas. Every single Republican I know, which is everyone I know, did exactly what he said to do cause we didn't agree with anything Obama was peddling and still don't. And FYI there's young Republicans, don't ever count us out!!!!

18. Eric walker, Miami Fl

Something smells fishy. Why was AIG singled out to receive all of these bad policies? I see big companies going down the tubes, but all th people that made the decissions walking away with all the money in bonuses over the last few years. Leaving stock holders and tax payers holding the bag.

19. Eddie

Thanks guys....that is EXACTLY what Rush said....."The Republican party needs to find the RIGHT leader"!

20. Robert - Jakarta

I understand concern for racking up huge debts but we're on a financial precipice. Debt or poverty? Make your choice.

21. Nii-Quartelai

Why are we afraid to say that Rush is the most influential figure in the GOP? When the Rush lead GOP runs out of gas perhaps they'll drop the obstructionist rhetoric and support Obama's energy policy

22. Bea

Folks are assuming people know the bad & inconsistent about Limbaugh. There are places that don't know all that. They only know that he is speaking against big government. Be careful!

23. Sabrina

The President did not say not to listen to the Rush he said "you can't just listen to him an expect to get something done" Rush is to partisan. You can not have an honest debate with someone that does not accept facts.

24. Michelle

The conservatives never need to be in power again.
    Limbaugh proves they are absolutely crazy. Keep
    right on GOP, it is like a sitcom.

25. Liz

If Obama succeeds, then nationalized banking succeeds, nationalized healthcare succeeds, nationalized industry succeeds and nationalized wall street succeeds. Do we want Obama's agenda to succeed?

26. Brandi- bottom of the boot

@ esma,

hahaha! my side hurts, you went there and that rocked!

27. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Thanks for keeping them honest and showing us the real stories and whose accountable don't let these coerperate comapnies get away with this greed ! Thanks AC.

28. Maureen T, Canada

Rush Limbaugh is scary though. I cringe when I think about his fan base.

29. Little Edie

Why is the President diminishing his office with Rush Limbaugh!

30. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

AIG, we are in the money!

31. Maren in Oregon

The Replublicans have not been able to put it together for the past 8 years. Their bread (crusts) and circus atitude and the Congressional Zombies who aded and abetted this, are not able to come up with anything now – because they HAVE nothing!

32. Frank from Detroit

I live in Detroit, one of the worst economically hit cities in the US. I don't only know the struggle we americans are in, i feel it. Rush Limbaugh is in no way in touch with the reality of this situation. He is an extreemist and i belive i may be speaking for the majority of us when i say this: Capitalism is a great thing, just as long as there are rules in place for it to be fair. Rush can use his ideological statements about what the country was founded on, but i think we all know that these aren't the 1700's anymore. Financial Institutions today have the power to cripple this country far worse than any terrorist organization in the world. There needs to be some type of regulations put in place.

33. Mike Syracuse, NY

It seems no one knows what will work to fix the economy, so Obama is throwing money at everything hoping something works. The problem is we don't have the money to 'guess' at solutions until one works.

34. Jim M

Does AIG insure any investments in the variety of instruments held by various state or private pension plans?

35. Isabel, Brazil

Good evening, Erica!

36. tim oklahoma city

rush is just like that has been weatherman bill o'reilly who does nothing but laugh all the way to bank. these two guys tell these people what they want to hear so those that can't think for themselves will go out and buy their latest books.

37. Barbara Pacheco, Gaffney South Carolina

I have one comment about Rush Limbaugh. Open mouth insert foot. The garbage that comes out of his mouth is impossible to listen to.

38. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I agree Roland, it did make Steele look weaker by apologizing to Rush.

39. Linda

After hearing that Rush wants Obama to fail, I want to change my affiliation from moderate republican to democrate!

40. Sharon A Wold

Your guest have it all wrong! Obama has it right! I am an Independent. If I save on health care (I spend currently $400/mo.) and if I save on energy (currently $450/mo.) I will have more money to invest in my country!!

Sharon, Crescent City, CA.

41. Renee

The Rush thing is like Lou Dobbs or Obama.

Rush does not represent all Republicans.
    Lou does not represent all Independents.
    Obama does not represent all Democrats.

42. Kenneth Ludlow. Calgary

Since this financial crisis has a global reach, the US is seen as the one country to lead us out to recovery. The Obama presidency will be remembered for how it dealt with the greatest economic catastrophe of the last 70 years and not with climate change or health care. They need to know this now.

43. Sabrina

Gergen- how can you say that Rush is not the leader when he is walking them all around on his dog chain. Every time they say something against him they have to beg for forgiveness.

44. Michele

Why is CNN giving Rush Limbaugh so much free air time? The man is a lunatic, hate mongering, divisive, foul person whose only goal appears to be to spread hatred on a daily basis. Why is CNN helping him do it? All you're doing is giving him what he can't attain for himself – a national podium. PLEASE – stop the Limbaugh pieces – we have more things to worry about than this pathetic human being. Those who want to wallow in his bile can tune into his radio show – PLEASE – spare the rest of us!

March 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I think Rush L. need apology to people....... He made lot mistakes to say.

March 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. L. Carilo, H.R., CO

Good morning, Sean in Iraq. What's the weather? H.R., CO was spring-like today. Our porch flag, displayed daily, keeps you guys in our thoughts and blessings. L.C.

March 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Glen Up North

Brian, you bring up a very, _very_ good point. US citizens have a right to know just how big this monetary deficit is before throwing endless amounts of money at it. What if the banks were dealing figures to government pretty much the same they do to credit card recipients (i.e. "You're late in giving us money, so we're going to tack a 20% interest rate on it, and then factor in this and that...")? Not that it is a certainty... but we need to keep the banks honest as well, no?

March 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Brian Quigley

Wow! tough day. Just a quick comment on the discussion about focusing on the economic vs. other issues. Isn't that the reason there are so many staff, confirmations going on at the White House. Isn't the gov't suppose to handle all situations, as the team he has put in place was designed to do. Sounds like a typical company to me. I would be curious to see their headcount. Anyways, I would guess that behind the scenes the dedication is there..... The fact that President Obama is not talking strictly talking Economics does not mean its not getting done.

March 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. susie

no one likes the idea of trillions of tax dollars being given away but think of what is going to happen if everyone just sits back and tries nothing and as for Rush its pretty easy for someone that isn't losing his job or home to spout off

March 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Derrick

If a democrat had said what Rush Limbaugh said during George Bush's term, it would have been called un-American and treasonist. Why isn't Rush Limbaugh being held to the same standard.

March 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |