March 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/02/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rich

The stimulus bill was "too big" ......the federal government is "too big" time to reduce government like dismantling the FHWA that was created to build the Interstate Highway system which is now complete and consolidating agencies! Pouring more money into our highway system only reinforces our dependence on fossil fuels!! Time to make high-speed rail a priority!! who cares who gets the credit.....GET IT DONE!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  2. Vanessa, TX

I think at some point you gotta let this thing fail...would it cost more money to bail them out again rather to have them fail? TOO MUCH MONEY being spent when we could be saving our economy..

March 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I agree with you Megan give our money back!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Kathy, Chicago

I agree with David G. We will all work on health care, but we have to stabilize the market first before we are all living off of the government.

5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Evening everyone. Another fine mess, this is with AIG. It makes one wonder what have they been doing before all the bailouts? Where are all the smart money people are now?

6. Glen Up North

Tracey, well _I_ care if my insurance company goes belly-up. Question is, why does AIG need so many bailouts (it had one last autumn, right?)?

7. Eric walker, Miami Fl

Rush was such a cheerleader for Bush, tax cuts and the war, now that Obama wants to pay for it hes crying. Rpublicians dubbled the defict durnibg his eight years and we have nothing to show for it. @AC360 crew – How about running a story on what the American people received for five trillion dollars compared to the 1 trillion Obama wants to spend

8. Clark Labat, Houma Louisiana

It's disingenuous to insinuate Rush Limbaugh's wanting President Obama's stimulus package and the economy to fail when the Democrats are more interested in pushing their liberal agenda rather than actually fixing the economy.

9. vipin

I just cant believe we have so many economic experts all over the world and cannot figure out what is happening. It's a shame with man having come so far in evolution- to still have to blindly try the "STIMULUS" hoping..against hope..not much different from the stone-age man hoping for rain...Hope we all get through this and only emerge stronger...

thanks

10. Linda

Hey Anderson

Good to have Ali and David Gergen with you tonite. First I just like to thank David Gergen for his response to my blog the last school.
    Now with Rush Limbaugh wanting the President to fail and on Larry King's show Gov Jindal just about giving him the thumbs up on what he said. What is the nation or maybe I should say some people when Radio Talk Show Host is running the political stans of any party in our Government.
    I also understand some why AIG needs to be bailout due to its Global influence on our present market.

11. Bea

Is there any other company that could take AIG? Governing running business would be a disaster.

12. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Why does Aig need more of the taxpayers dollars haven't they been bailout more time than the wall street brokers?

13. Tracey - Boston

oops

Sean in Iraq…Pray all you can…it all we can do besides giving our money away to companies that CAN'T control their accounts…or focus

14. Don

I have over 6 figures in a 403B with AIG. Do I need to be concerned ?
    Should I roll it over to another company ?

15. Rikki, Fargo, ND

AIG is a bunch of mumblecrusts but unfortunately they are going to get the money they need because of the fear of letting a huge financial company, like AIG, go under because of the further recession it could push our economy into!

16. Sal NY

This administration seem wants to punish the wealthy which I am not and reward those that cannot manage their finances. I do not support his policies, I want to work not have my government take care of me from cradle to grave.

17. Renee

@ Gergen: Big bang theory is one thing! Big, big government is another theory. Banks are the problem. Not all private companies are failing.

18. Jan

I agree with Rush Limbaugh. I hope Obama's plan fails because I think the direction he is going is making the economy worse and is bad for capitalism. He is on the fast track to socialism.

I think Americans across the country should protest what he is doing.

Obama doesn't know what he is doing and he is letting Pelosi and Reid call the shots.

Look at the post office – government run – inefficient – just like Congress.

19. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Treasery Sec. Geithner needs to come out of hiding. We need to see him and hear from him. Health care reform is vital. Solving the health care problem helps the economy.

20. Bridget, TX

I'm not surprised that Rush wants the President, hence the country to fail, but what is disgusting is the loud applause he received for his comments.

21. Shelley

Yeah, freeing up credit I agree with that...how does that work? I know lots of friends with fine credit that are havingtrouble refinancing currently. This isn"t a good thing. If we could get some credit going at the rates that are offered now< maybe we could get some homeowners in more affordable loans?

22. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

There is such a big perception in the news today about corporate jets and huge bonuses. I was watching the news, not going to name names, but the reporter was talking about the recession and they were standing in front of a Tiffany & Co. ! What has it come to, first the big bonuses, now reporters rubbing it in our faces!.......there should be some sort of ethics regulation in the business...

23. Zoee - Canada

Regarding Rush Limbaugh, everyone is allowed to have their own opinions and freedom of speech, that is true, but c'mon, what he's saying is just so disrespectful on so many levels!

24. Sharon S

I don't I agree I think the Healthcare reform can wait! Right now they have other problems that are so crucial!

25. Esma

If Rush is such a voice, why is he only doing a radio talk show?

26. Sabrina

I find if funny that Republicans are blaming the Dow situation on President Obama's plans which is insane since his plans have yet to take affect. Wall Street played a big role in this debacle, so I would not focus my plans on Wall Street. Mr. President focus on Main Street.

27. Dodie from CA

We need to make a total change in our policies and how we operate starting with AIG, Wall Street, Banks, etc. Our style must change. No Credit! We live on what we have.

So many hospitals are closing due to people using them that have no insurance in California

28. Janine from PA.

A snowy monday to all. I am going to have some hot cocoa. I know that Mr. Cooper doesn't drink hot beverages so hot cocoa won't entice him. Saw him on 60 minutes on sunday. Sounded like he spoke a little spanish, a poco?
    What's really scary is when experts say that they don't know what would happen if AIG would fail. They can speculate but are unsure.

March 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Jim

Hi Anderson,
    Why can't AIG borrow directly to the Federal Reserve Bank and leave the public out of having to pay interest on this government bailout.?

thanks for answering my question

March 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Mike Freeman

AIG just got another bailout to cover mortgage insurance policies....who exactly do they pay the insurance money to when the mortgage fails? The banks who already are getting millions in bailouts or directly to the investors themselves? If AIG is paying mortgage insurance policies to the banks that wrote the bad mortgages with taxpayer money that is a joke....banks are being paid on both sides?

March 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Tracey - Boston

Sean in Iraq...Pray all you can...it all we can do besides giving our money away to companies that control their accounts...or focus

March 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Brandi- bottom of the boot

@sean in iraq,

i salute you. may god keep you safe.

the prayers couldn't hurt, unless they are praying for our country to fall apart. it already seems to be doing that.

@esma, rikki, vanessa, i heard Rush Limbaugh and still had the projectile vomit thought. :)))

33. David in VA

Hello all!

No one seems to be immune from this global financial turmoil.

34. Diane in Toronto

Hi, I am amazed and disturbed that the losers (r), those who brought us the war on terror and ushered in the current economic disaster have now expanded their war on terror to Obama's White House. How awful for the American people, and the rest of us!

35. Mike Syracuse, NY

Hello blogger, Anderson. Why do you guys give Rush the time of day? He no more speaks for Republicans than Huffington speaks for Democrats.

36. Maren in Oregon

Belated Good Evening – and thank you for a whole week of terrific TV last week!

37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I think AIG is so idiot to bailout to people....... So I want my money back right now!!!

38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

We are now experiencing the effect of Obama's inexperience.

39. Bea

David Gergen is so right. Health care reform is important but right now it may have to take a back seat - except I would say for the streamlining part. That can save money.

40. Rikki, Fargo, ND

If we start throwing that word 'depression' around I fear that that is exactly where we are headed...using the word depression is going to strike fear in the lives of many Americans

41. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Ken in NC...I agree with letting the market prevail, but I think we're way beyond that now.

42. Isabel, Brazil

The week starts badly in the stock market. Stock exchanges around the world operated in strong in this low Monday.

Hungary has made a proposal for the EU to make a contribution of capital in banks in countries such as Latvia and Lithuania. But the proposal was rejected by Germany, is one of the reasons that the stock markets down today.

43. EJ (USA)

I bet Anderson has been worrying all day about the economic news.

44. Sharon S

I really think the governement needs to step in and take over AIG becaue they obviously are not doing something correctly?

Why again do they need yet more money?

45. Michelle

I think a lot of stocks were overvalued to begin
    with. AIG can not fail, it would really create a
    huge world problem. Right now the dollar is the
    only thing that is keeping us afloat right now.
    If other countries switch to the euro we are in
    bigger trouble than we are now.

46. John in Sunny CA

The single most important thing that Obama could do right now to stimulate the economy is lower mortgate rates to about 3.5%. And the cost to the taxpayers would be nothing compared to what they are spending already.

Ohhhh Obama, Ohhhh Obama, please stop listening to the experts that can not see the forest because of the trees.

47. kenneth- Wisconsin

Hey Anderson- Good story on 60 Minutes. Our Homeland Security chief is clueless.

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  48. john

federalize NOTHING,,,,

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  49. Glen Up North

Well, Sean, if you consider the concept that prayer is a form of meditation, and meditation (when properly observed) can lead to insights coming through (that wouldn't have been when you're busy thinking about anything and everything)... well, I'd say I have faith in well-practiced prayer (i.e. focusing on the desired outcome with hope, instead of focusing on the present situation with fear).

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  50. Dodie from CA

Good Evening Everyone!

I am really struggling. I thought I would be able to retire next year.

I am glad that I have a job... but I do not think I will ever be able to retire and will end up working until my death!

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |