March 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/02/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sharon S

I think Obama is trying to be Superman when he really needs to be Batman and just save us first!

2. Emma

Aww, that was cute. Hopefully, the dog wasn't hurt when it slammed into the wall.

Have a good night, everyone.

3. Kathy, Chicago

Loved 60 Minutes last night. 82 lbs of love and destruction has fallen off the bed while dreaming! Night all.

4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That poor baby! He was probably having so much fun running in his dream!

5. Mike Syracuse, NY

Wow, that's some dog dream. Must have been about the mailman.

6. Rikki, Fargo, ND

OMG! My dog used to do that when he was dreaming...never to that extent though! That poor puppy! But, I do love dramatic animal videos!

Another blog comes to a close! Good night Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, Chris, Vanessa, Vanessa, Esma, Megan and all! Have a great sleep and wonderful day tomorrow! Chat with you then!

7. Marium

The welfare program needs to have an education aspect to it. Educate people that this is temporary and how to eventually work themselves out of it. You can't eliminate the possibility of people abusing the system. That's a fact of life. But perhaps a revamping can include provisions to minimize the risk of abuse. Then again, that can lead to all sorts of other issues of limiting people's lives and whatnot. It's a complicated issue.

8. Michelle

Anderson leave the dog alone. He was having
    a nightmare.

9. Kate (MN)

I am really annoyed by the gentleman who was trying to live on food stamps (or used as a supplement to his income). I am a stay at home mother of 4 young children, am a CPA and keep myself fit. I buy the same foods he did, along with adding in fresh fruit and veggies. My weekly menu consists of: tacos, pizza, spaghetti, chicken. Cereal for breakfast, a salad for lunch. Excuse me, he has changed the way he shops?? I am offended, get in touch with regular Americans. We go out to eat maybe 3 times a year, McD's is where we get a burger. I know there are people struggling and are not well off but it is all about CHOICES in food. People on food stamps sometimes are overweight (just like the gal we saw), if they CHOSE to buy better food for themselves they would have a chance of not being that way. Buy local produce (it's available in the grocery store) buy seasonal fruits and veggies it costs less.

Every American needs Finance 101 ~ you should not be allowed to vote without it!

10. Isabel, Brazil

Good night, Anderson, Erica! And David

Good night, bloggers!
    Good night, Megan, EJ, Mave, Brand, Ashley!, ChrisSosa, Esma, Rikki!, Vanessas and ...!

A good t rest!
    Bye! See you tomorrow!

11. matt in LA

Stop the bailouts- let bad businesses fail, and good ones will come in to take them over. Throwing more of our taxpayer's dollars down the drain will do nothing but reward the same people whose greed and unsound financial decisions contributed to the demise of the economy. This recession is a huge reminder to the American people to live within your means, don't get into too much debt, and don't rely on others to make your finacial decisions for you. Become educated people. Stop the government from spending your hard earned money- you can spend it more wisely yourself!!

12. Dianne

President Obama is a multi-tasker, organized and a brilliant mind. Americans should be thankful that they have such a President at these trying times. He has surrounded himself with a talented Team and he if anyone can get America out of this wilderness despite what the talking heads say.

13. SUe

What the food stamp program doesn't take into account is anyone who has any type of health problems. If you have high blood pressure, diabetes, & soforth, you can't get a proper diet. The reporter who actually LOST weight is the EXCEPTION; most poor people are overweight because you can't afford a high-protein, low-carb diet. Nor can you have the healthy diet rich in fruits & vegetables that even the U.S. Govt. recommends. If we want to reduce health care costs in this country, we could start by not simply increasing the amount of food stamps allotted to someone (IF you qualify), but also by educating people on WHAT to eat and HOW to prepare it. People in this country will fry anything & everything, & it makes me cringe, as I was not raised this way. You just can't eat healthfully on $6 a day in this day & age, & the sooner that's recognized, the better!

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@David G. – Thanks for joining us! Just noticed your post. I would love to see an in-depth analysis, so looking forward to that blog tomorrow.

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Dulcie - Denver

I've lived on food stamps from time to time and it can be done, but it's usually a pretty starch heayy diet and requires a LOT of planning and rationing. It gets tiresome pretty quick.

good on him for giving it a shot though!

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, David in IN, Brandi, Esma, Bea, BettyAnn, Rikki, Michelle D, Glen, EJ, Ashley, Isabel, Chris S, Vanessa TX, Patti, Casey and best bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight!!!!! 😀
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Day of the shot with funny sleep dog wagging hard!!!!! good idea!!! love it!!!!

Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! 😀 Good job for 60 minutes!!! See you tomorrow night!!! P.S. You are my hero!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  17. David, NY

February has only 28 days this year, $176 is not enough for regular months of 30 or 31 days.

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Kemmie

It is concerning to watch Obama not only loose focus on the economy by attacking issues such as health care, which so many smart people in the past have failed to resolve in good economic times, but also to observe the confidence with which he is attacking issues that take a long time to understand before you can take the right action. Am I the only one worried about this?

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Mary

A depression is stretch of time when an economy is in an abyss involving finance, higher unemployment rates and a lack of growth in industry. It is earmarked by by falling prices (the housing industry), restriction of credit (need I say more), low investment (who wants to invest in the stock market right now) and eventually bankruptcies (perhaps some of the big three should have been there already). We are in a depression, but I still believe it can be turned around. We just need to come up with the correct common denominator, but so far, I haven't seen it.

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Mike Syracuse, NY

@David Gergen, focusing is the key right now. Health care, GITMO, and the rest are distractions. When you want to win a battle you concentrate your forces to get a breakthrough in one area, not everywhere at once.

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Ben

I am yet to hear the word UNPATRIOTIC! For anybody, whether a buffoon radio talk show host or politician to say they want a sitting US president to fail is vey un-American and unpatriotic.

I was shocked my dear friend, David Gergen was dancing around the question and really never answered it. Why is everybody afraid of Rush Limbaugh? Why are we all cowards?

We are blinded so many times with our ideological philosophies that we forget or ignore our history (the great depression and FDR's actions), but more importantly, we refuse to acknowledge that tackling healthcare, education, green energy, etc now is what will not only help turn the economy around because of the huge economic savings and value but also they are tremendous investments that are structural which will keep the economy on long term strong footing.

Support America!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  22. Emma

@Barbara, I was under the impression that each person is given $6 a day for food....$176 a month. However, if each family is only given $6 for food, then you're right.....it's not enough.

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  23. David Y

Can't the people who go on the ocean take along some sort of beacon emergency device? They even were aware that the weather was expected to be turning bad. Maybe a device which automatically starts once a boat capsizes?

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Miranda

Team.

Blogger's.

It has been interesting lots of great points of view.

Have a good night.

Miranda

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Allison

I wish you'd all stop giving Rush Limbaugh the attention he so craves. If he's an entertainer, than treat him as one in your coverage. You don't have your team of political analysts discussing the latest Paris Hilton news. Rush is an attention junkie and cable news is his dealer.

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  26. lee

why can't Erica ever do stories from the field? she never leaves the studio.

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  27. Cessy, Chicago

interesting night, Anderson! good night all...be safe.

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  28. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Seeing that dog makes me want one even more. Too bad i can't have one till i move out of my parents house:(

I'll be patient:)

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  29. rupert

That is a goodpoint, Kate. It is very easy to eat well on a low budget

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  30. Bea

Welcome Nicolo. David Gergen, look forward to your blog comment tomorrow. To all a good night!

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  31. Lori from IL

Good night Anderson, Erica, David Gergen and Fellow Bloggers -

Good show tonight - good mix of topics again tonight, Anderson. I, also, really enjoyed your segment on 60 Minutes last night.

Good "chatting" tonight on the blog - looking forward to chatting again tomorrow night.

March 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  32. Roger, Iowa

Some people I worked with tuned into Rush Limbaugh, I’m a no political party person, I’ll decide what is best for me. I gave Limbaugh five minutes of my time and found him not to be very truthful. When a talk show host sends his staff to illegally purchase pain killers, truth is not in his best interest. When a major political party declares Limbaugh their number one spokes person lets all Americans whom can think for ones self intelligently, there is really some thing very wrong in politics.

33. Vanessa, TX

Goodnight Anderson, Erica, Mr Gergen, all my smartee & doopinger bloggers 🙂
    Good conversation tonite..

34. Dave

I was actually enjoying your show tonight for the first time EVER. You were actually having a politically balanced program for a change.

Then you had to ruin it with that clown that suggested that there are actually real people in this country that are forced to live on $176/month of food stamps. What a crock.

You show me somebody in that situation and I'll show you a total looser who probably should be institutionalized. That means he has no job, he has no unemployment insurance, he didn't have any savings, he has no other family members to rely on.

Now you're trying to invent poverty THAT DOES NOT EXIST! I dare you to fine somebody that poor and interview them. Show me that it wasn't his fault. He wasn't a wife beater. He didn't quit his job. He hasn't turned down jobs because they were below him. He isn't a drug user. He took a shower prior to going to his last job interview.

I challenge you that you cannot find this person.

35. Elizabeth

I’ve just been listening to the Democrats claiming that Rush Lumbaugh is the de facto leader of the Republicans and the Republicans claiming that Rush is just an entertainer with a small following.

Americans can argue this until they are blue in the face. It doesn’t much matter in the U.S.A.

Where it does matter is outside of the U.S.A.

Rush Lumbaugh IS the VOICE OF AMERICA. You think that is an exageration? In every country where there is an American military presence….Asia, Europe, the Middle East , you can listen to Rush nightly!

…And people do listen! He isn’t entertainment outside of the U.S.A. His opinion is held to be that of the American public. He is worse PR than the three CSI’s which you can also see all over the globe….great entertainment, but the impression they give of the U.S.A. is not one that builds respect or trust in American culture.

36. Jason

Anderson, Why is Obama doing this? He's sending money to Gaza ($900 million) and he's bailing out Banks.. When is he going to help us out? He's spending our money.. That's our MONEY!! I'm sick and tired of it!!

37. Kathy - Clearwater, Idaho

Thanks David G. Look forward to your blog tomorrow. Health care is at the heart of my family's personal financial issues so it's pretty easy for me to see the ripple effect.

38. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I don't want ot be disrespectful or nasty, but I don't trust ANY sports figures anymore. I can't help but think something crooked is going on with this mishap.

39. Sharon S

Eating Healthy has become very expensive, fruits, vegetables and even frozen ones are very expensive these days!

I just think the Food Stamp piece should have been investigated more thoroughly! I don't undestand where he got his numbers from?

40. Jeff "The Dude" Dowd

We continue to try to bailout the Casino Economy companies: banks, extinct auto companies, etc. AIG being the bailout of the week (CitiGroup and B of A) last week because "it could get worse."
    In the history of the world only 3 things have helped economies
    1) war which won't work anymore because it is not labor intensive enough Kaiser shipyards turned out a ship a day during WWII which also put 14 million Americans back to work in the Armed Forces
    2) colonialism/imperialism with expanded markets and brought in new natural resources– that won't happen anymore
    3) revolutionary technology –Industrial Revolution, Railroads after Civil War which led to national products and advertising, the telephone, car, radio, TV, internet etc.
    Only the Green Economy will save the US economy– systemic change–transportation, energy, greening buildings, greening companies etc. This should be the main focus–not just because we want to save the planet but because we want to save our economy

Continuing to bailout companies whose time is past is partially necessary but it will not make things better!

Jeff

The Dude Abides!

41. Marsha

I would rather be waterboarded than watch or listen to pork barrel Rush.

42. Brandi- bottom of the boot

does anyone else find it strange that all were clinging to the boat at some point and the one lone survivor doesnt know what happened to them?

43. Isabel, Brazil

@ David

Glad you found it interesting!

44. Michelle

Let's hope for 3 more miracles when it comes to
    those missing football players.

March 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  45. Karen C

Sean in Iraq, I have found that most people I know IN the military are of a mind with you. It is the people outside of it that have a problem. Which makes no sense and is causing a lot of talented and skilled soldiers to leave. Guts are guts and skill is skill, no matter the person it comes in.

March 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  46. bgs`

Good evening, seems like we all just need to pray especially for Rush Limbaugh

March 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  47. Maren in Oregon

Sharks? What a tragedy. Drowning at sea, in a storm, at night, has to be one of the worst ways to go. Bod bless then, and the Coast guard in their seach.

March 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  48. Tracey - Boston

Yes, thank you Sean!

March 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  49. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey David G., thanks for blogging tonight. I think that POTUS is doing the best job he can juggling these important issues he has to deal with. These issues are interconnected to the economy, so you can't just focus on one and forget about the others, because there connected.

March 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  50. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Weather on the sea is so unpredictable, I hope that they are found safe

March 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |