March 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/02/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kay

WHen not working and food stamps take care of food ,
    what about, soap, toothpaste, laundry detergent, cleaning products,
    toilet paper...i.e. With no money people are left with with what do I do
    for those necessary thing needed to keep going and trying to interview for another job. You started the story go broader.

KK

March 2, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

David Gergen, I think that Obama is trying to do everything at once and it is going to backfire.

March 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Emma

@Jasmine, he might go to jail. It just depends on the outcome of his trial.

March 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Cris

I've lived and, well, starved based on food stamps charity this past year. In the past year and a half i've dropped almost 50 lbs (mostly from Sept 2007 to Sept 2008). It does get really hard to live on a very limited food budget....even with the help of foodstamps!

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Ashley, Willis Tx......"If they are going to keep that program they need to check to see who is abusing this help. Your piece doesn’t show what I saw about 95% of the time. JUNK FOOD!"

Ashley, I have witnessed the same thing and it makes me angry. I think that's why there is a stigma to using food stamps. If I got stamps, I would travel to the next town to use them.

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Scott – I know! My grandmother was sitting here talking to the screen and informing the guy as to what he should've been buying. 🙂

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Scott

Any truth to the rumor that Rham Emanuel claims his Illinois residence as a headquarters office for a charitable org that he and his wife set up and by the way....happen to be the only lame contributors. Might make an interesting story

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. EJ (USA)

So is it 176$ in food stamps per family or per person?

per person – I think that a dependent adds on more but maybe not twice the amount – not sure

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Polly, OH

@Sean in Iraq: It's such a treat to have you commenting on this blog. I always look out for your insightful comments.

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Charlotte

I am watching your show in which on five occasions you have mentioned the four men missing off the coast of Florida. I watch CNN because i want to get the news I would watch entertainment tonight if I wanted to te teased, Shame on you Anderson Cooper and shame on you CNN, You guys are better than this. Tell me the news.

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Don

Rush Limbaugh just sent RNC Micheal Steele to his cabin. Watch out! Bobby Jindal.

The Republicans Party is being hijacked by Rush Limbaugh.

Good luck in 2010.

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Bob, Orlando FL

I don't think Rush represents Republicans, more he's a voice for conservatism. Conservatism ideals don't change but the Party ran away from these ideals and it's paying a price. If the economy (see AIG....oh yeah and the DOW today), keeps going in the direction it is, Obama just might be the best thing for the Republican Party, and Rush – I'm reserving judgement. I'll give him (Obama) a little while longer but I can't afford this Sweeping Change (Change that I can believe in) for much longer

March 2, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  13. mandy

Hello all. Please can someone tell me why Obama is going to sign a bill filled with earmarks?? I want Anderson to pound on this story till Obama is shamed into keeping up with his own promises. Thanks

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Mike, Greenville NC

Another great show tonight...thanks for an enjoyable blog everyone, glad to see good conversation.
    Thanks Anderson, Erica and the whole 360 crew, for all your hard work.

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Dodie from CA

Janet I agree Why are we paying people to mess up on Wall Street! Makes no sense to me...

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Kate

Just watched the Food Stamp challenge and really enjoyed it. Living on a tight grocery budget is difficult, but it can be done.

Our family of 6 sticks to a monthly grocery budget of $325/month. I've learned to be creative and to make it work. Now it is surprisingly easy.

Eating on a strict budget like this doesn't have to be carb-heavy either. There are tons of protein alternatives that cost just pennies per serving.

I use what I call "The Thrifty Trifecta" to stick to this budget. For anyone that is struggling with groceries, whether on food stamps or not, it CAN be done!

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. vanessa from silver spring, MD

POTUS is not loosing focus. If he was to only talk about the economy right now, then people would be saying that he's taking his eye off the ball when it comes to health care. You would have people saying, hey what about energy, and education. When are those promises gonna come to pass. So I say give POTUS time and see what he is capable of doing. I think he's doing a great job in juggling all these issues he has on his plate.

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Ron

Sean in Iraq. I salute you for your service. thanks

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Lori from IL

Ahhh.... the dreaming dog - I have a cat who dreams and it is very funny to watch - looking forward to tonight's "shot" -

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. joe

Ok if you are watching ac360 now it really hurts a raider fan like me to see that those nfl players got lost at see

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Sam

Rush is simply an entertainer, and all he did was successfully articulate fundamental republican policies to the country, and clarify his statement that obabma fails by referring to his policies, adding that democrats themselves have actively sought the failure of Bush and the Iraq War for the last 8 years. The hypocrisy of the democrats is ridiculous.

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David G.
    I agree with your comment, I think you're right!!!!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. John Ripberger

President Obama has the right idea, it is going to take a while to right this ship.

March 2, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Dulcie - Denver

Erica and Anderson, I love it when you have animals on SOTD!

Something to smile about after a rough day. Thanks!

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

That dog is so cute! I tell my friend's dog, Bobo to run away from the monsters when he's running in his sleep...:)

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Matthew

Did CNN just do a story about about hard it is to live on food stamps by using a obese lady as the example? Nice. Next time come here and interview the lady in front of me yesterday bragging about how she gets $947 a month in stamps. Now that would be a story.

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  27. NICOLO'

Hi to everyone, i'm an italian firefighter and right now i'm watching Ac360 at 4.37 in the morning..I've to write that in Italy we've the same situation, the italian state gave, give and probably will give again millions to bank, insurance, but not to the family so the people have not money to restart to buy the consumer goods. Another terrible problem is that the bank that took the money(money of the italian people that pay tax) keep not helping their customers or the companies to fight the this hard situation, keep follwing the logic of profit with no social ethic.
    Nicolò

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Katie, FL

Oh my god that dog is hilarious, my dog Bailey does the same thing!

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Dodie from CA

I am eating left over pasta tonight! I don't throw anything out any more

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Janine from PA.

Food stamps should be like the WIC program only healthy foods like produce, meat, dairy, rice beans and pasta should be eligible. I worked in a supermarket so I saw how famlies bought junk food on food stamps and after one family would ring out another family would use the same account. This wasn't paper food stamps but electronic. One guy had over $1,000 in his account. So why did they keep putting money in? It should have been lowered if he didn't use it up. Plus I would have the customers behind the food stamp people wonder how they bought all this food for no money or maybe a couple of dollars if they had non food items. Hard working people would be mad about it. They need to revamp food stamps I believe a lot of abuse is part of this system.

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  31. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Leslie, If your house were on fire and they gave you a chioce of putting it out with water, or bulldozing it and burying the fire which would you pick? Both out out the fire, buy only one saves the house. Limbaugh is saying that even if the policy reverses the economy, the cost to us may be much worse than doing something else, or even nothing.

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Chad Smith - Lansing, MI

Hillary will be fine in the middle east, after all if she escaped sniper fire as first lady, she will be A okay!

March 2, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Maren in Oregon

We spent 8 years telling the wold we didn't need them – except as customers for arms and NAFTA driven investements. I hope HIllary Clinton can bring us back to where we were much sooner. You go girl!

34. Brandi- bottom of the boot

that is a small boat for that many people.

awwww...cute puppy!!!

35. Isabel, Brazil

Poor dog!

36. Nancy

Your reporter could buy beef and fish on his $176/month food budget if he shopped smart. Prepackaged foods like mashed potatoes are very expensive! We buy in bulk, cook from scratch, and spend no more than $176 per person a month for food.

37. Marco

Hey Anderson and everyone,

I still am having a hard time understanding how Madoff did what he did. It's truly unbelievable. Here is AIG wanting billions of dollar from the government and on the on hand we have one individual that made Billions of dollars disappear…… Crazy!!!!

38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love Hillary Clinton goes on her trip in the world...... she is amazing lady I see!!!!!

39. Laila

Hi, I really enjoy your show. Here is my question. For those of us who lost homes to foreclosure or shortsale recently, is the Government going to do anything? I say least they could do is fix our credits so we don't have to wait years to buy a house again. I have the income to buy a house but because of a recent foreclosure my credit bad. Any suggestions. Thank you.

40. Barbara Pacheco, Gaffney South Carolina

@ Emma

What you need to realize is try feeding a family of 3, 4 or more on that same amount. It is really difficult. The report shows one man getting that much but many families are trying to make meals for the entire family.

41. Hanh

@Sean. Love the Limbaugh/Godfather analogy! Now all this suddenly makes more sense to me. One difference is that at least the Godfather doesn't spit on you when he talks to you.

42. GayleNannette

Re: food stamps-Are you kidding me? My husband and I live in Sarasota, FL and only get $171.00 a month for the both of us. It sounds like you are living high on the hog.

43. Derrick

Eating healthy is expensive. Not only that but if you compare the produce for sale at markets patronized by low income people with that of those of affluent customers you'll find that the items at the low income spot are of significant poorer quality but cost more. I, personally, have come to the conclusion that I cannot afford to be poor. My car affords me the opportunity to drive to those markets where the quality of the produce is better and cheaper (Costco, Sam's). Low income people depend more on public transportation and many times, at least in Birmingham, public transportation is not connected with these areas.

44. David, Indiana

Glad to hear they've recovered 950M of money people invested w Madoff, hope more can be recouped.

Megan, yes, the drop in the market today hurt, I agree. Hope it turns around.

Isabel, thank for that note on what happened in european banking today, that affected markets.

Hi Erica, I enjoyed the piece w/Bobby Flay too. Not sure what to make of the Madoff apt. Seems like pretty fancy floor plan.

45. Polly, OH

I'm so glad the Obama administration is looking to help Palestine! I appreciate and understand Israel's initiative, but they've got to be responsible for what they've done to the Palestinian state.

In all honesty, I'm for several things: Israel should return the settlements they took from Palestine, and the 3million refugees must be given citizenship SOMEWHERE (because no way is Israel going to agree to having them back, because they know the Palestinian population would eventually overtake the Israeli population).

46. Ladon

Hi Anderson, I just wanted to comment on the food stamp diet. I was raised on food stamps, and you actually can gain weight being on them, because you are forced to eat as cheap as possible. So a lot of kids are eating cakes and cereals for breakfast, rather than fruits and meats. This is also why we see so many more diabetic children.

47. Scott

Your food stamp piece was pretty weak. This guy has no idea how to stretch a dollar in the grocery store and there is no reason you can't eat healthy as well. You need someone slightly more qualified to show what possibilities actually do exist beyond canned goods, instant mash and so forth

48. Maureen T, Canada

Hilary Clinton is great as Secretary of State!

March 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  49. Marium

That report about food stamps really hit close to home. My family used on be on food stamps a long time ago, when I was a baby and we were new immigrants to the country. The meals do get repetitive and at times you just forego eating. The sad thing is that it's easy to get used to, which is not good for your health. We're not on any welfare now, but times are tough. Living on an extremely tight budget is a frighteningly similar experience.

March 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  50. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Sean – I have to agree that one's sexual orientation is really irrelevant to their decision to serve in the military. I find "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and the entire discuss around sexuality, to be bizarre. And it goes without saying I second your opinion on Madoff.

March 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |