March 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/02/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. vanessa from silver spring, MD

It's nice to see SOS Clinton doing her thing. I really hope she becomes one of the best Secretary's of State ever.

March 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Renee

It kills me that Madoff stole but especially from Elie Wiesel, a holocaust survivor and philosopher. I read an article this weekend and Mr. Wiesel thinks Madoff should be in solitary confinement for a minimum of 5 years with pictures of all his victims in his cell. Mr. and Mrs. Wiesel lost all their personal money and move than $15 million from their foundation. Mr. Wiesel is more than remarkable. A much better person than me.

March 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Maren in Oregon

Buy as "big" as you can, divide it up, freeze some, cook some, eat some. Start again the following week. growhat you can, even in a large coffee can (2-3 pea or bean plants). Go together with your neighbors to buy really big – like a side of beef at dirt cheap prices. It can be done.

March 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Janet, Moriarty, NM

Just my opinion, but why not tax the wall street "talent" bonuses at 100% to pay for the wall street bailouts. I think they should all be able to live like main street, on minimum wage and food stamps and food banks until the trillions of dollars are repaid.

March 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

The football players my heart goes out to thier families i hope they are found soon.

Michelle D.
    This afternoon I turn on my tv and check Situation Room there is breaking news Coast Guard found one of players were safe! my hearts goes to them!

March 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Radhika - SF, California

Great point Sue, he's a radio talk show host and not a news journalist by any means, or a politician. Why is he being taken so seriously, it makes no sense!

March 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Zoee - Canada

So is it 176$ in food stamps per family or per person?

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Ken in NC

Great show tonight Anderson and David G. and Erica and all ?Bloggers. See you guys tomorrow night. Have a good sleep all.

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Kathy, Chicago

We need to remember our food banks, also. They still need donations. There was a pet bank mentioned in the local paper..

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Rikki, Fargo, ND

That sounds a lot like my diet and I'm not on food stamps!...But rice and pasta are my favs! 🙂

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Carl

Madoff was not in this alone. The top 500 earners knew something was up but because the shutup money was so good they just kept taking it. Now that the influx of money has stopped the scheme is uncovered.

I would like to see a list of those who made the most and those who contributed on a regular basis.

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Sherry, N. Calif.

I did not hear one solution to our Global and American Crisis by Mr. Limbaugh. Only words spewed from an angry pompus hateful entertainer. He is nothing more. If he is all the Republicans have to offer then that is really sick and could be very scary.

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

Compared to having nothing at all – the food stamp program is not bad. Many other countries would love to have that sort of back up/program. Instead they just go without eating.

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  14. Ray Myers

The point is, we are in for some really bad times. In order to come out the other end surviving, have a piece of land. I agree.

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  15. Almi

How in GODs name can one wish someones idea to fail?And yet no appology 4 it.It's just simply wrong and unAmerican. despite ur difference u dont wish one 2 fail period. The funny thing is that who was responsible 4 all this mess in the 1st place huh?The guy is trying his best to help in every way possible, so Mr. Rash L the least u could,,,,be supportive,,if ur a real American that is,,,:-( ...it's not one guys problem,,it's all of us..he fail,,, we all fail,,,

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  16. thomas thompson

Anderson, Please do a little research into Ali Velshi and the that blonde talking head on Sat (personal finance). Then run it like "then and now", you'll see that they were hilariously off the mark.
    Their recomendations last year 2008 were so far off track that I suggest CNN let them go and find someone who really does some digging into the situation.
    They, obviously (to me) , just kept on with the same shpeel as recessions of the past. With no understanding of how really bad this was going to be (they kept recommending buying stocks as late as nov '08). Get some new people in that dept. or lose credibility. Love you Anderson...you ROCK!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Lori from IL

The food stamp story was very interesting. We hear amounts - but seeing Sean live by the numbers is very eye opening... And that cheeseburger is making me hungry!

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  18. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Thanks for opening a new week with some great blog postings. Karen C. speaks for a lot of folks tonight with her bog that many are confused about what is happening with the economy and what is being done to fix it. That is one reason why I think the President's most urgent responsibility now is to focus intensely on the deepening crisis and help us gain confidence in steps he is taking to fix it. Seven Webb argues that we should stop looking to the government to fix things - that we should leave it to the private sector. Well, Steven, wish we could, but the private sector right now is almost broke and it can't borrow any money to gin things up again. Only the U.S. Govt can still borrow (and is doing plenty of that, isn't it).

Really appreciated all of your comments tonight. Tomorrow, if I can, will try to post a blog entry on CNN during the day that lays out a little more fully the arguments pro and con about whether the President should keep pursuing a "big bang" - doing huge overhauls of the economy, health care, and energy all at once - or whether he should focus laser like on the economy until the bleeding stops.

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Polly, OH

My mom works at a county health department, and her biggest concern as a former personal-trainer is that food stamps do not allow for many purchases of fruits and vegetables. It's really hard on kids, too, who absolutely NEED those foods.

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Sharon S

I mean are Food Stamp regulations different in different areas? Because I know a guy who dated a woman on food stamps and he would go over eat well with her and she would feed some other guy too! could it be they are claiming more children?

I swear the ones here in VA eat well they are NOT skinny nor do they eat cheap food!

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Kathy

I can sympathize with sean callebs but especially with anyone who is on food stamps for real. I was on food stamps for a few months and is difficult. You really learn the meaning of the word budget! But I didn't know instant mashed potatoes and mac&cheese were so bad for you, I practically lived on those foods!

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  22. mari

AIG and many others deserved to go bankrupt.
    But the US couldn't let that happen.
    Why? Because AIG is the 18th largest public company in the world.

AIG is simply too big to fail, and so is Citibank and Bank of America.

But why isn't anybody asking why did we let them get so big?

What happenned to regulators that were supposed to be enforcing anti monopolistic regulations?

The base of a capitalist economy is competition, and by allowing the last decade of "merger mania", we are now prisoners of these firms.

Give me the money, or I'll fail.
    How much do you need?

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I like how, SORRY ANDERSON, Paris Hilton went to jail, and this Madoff guy stays at home..........

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Stacy

I appreciate the report from Sean Callebs. It's good to get another angle on what's happening, instead of just focusing on the stock market.

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Enjoy your evening, everone!

March 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Karl

Hi Anderson, what we've should have done 'is' bail nobody out at all. And let dose companies go down. All dose executives got rich and in the same time running the companies in the ground.

March 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  27. dee

Listening to Rush the other night I was very impressed with his views. This would be the second time in my 67 years that I have heard his comments. Instead of us agruing if he was right or wrong in his statements, the government should analayze his view point and give it some consideration.
    I am more concerned than before about my savings dwindling.
    I ask myself what did I do by helping to elect this government.

March 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Isabel, Brazil

It may even be nice, but is not healthy!
    hamburger and fries ... all good!

March 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Esma

I have friends on food stamps, it sucks. Don't worry, I cook for them often (and I suffer from OCD: Obsessive Cooking Disorder)).

March 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Toni

I'm tired of "PARTY" disagreements. Let's work together, and help the people of America–I don't want to waste energy on Rush and his rants!!!! I want action from both the Dems and Republicans!!!!

Let's change the terms of politicians. 1– 6 year Presidential term, max 8 years in Senate, and max 12 years in Congress. Maybe then we could get Politicians to represent the people, and not their own interest!!!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. ashley - willis, tx

I slaved away at walmart and was so disgusted with some people on food stamps. If they are going to keep that program they need to check to see who is abusing this help. Your piece doesn't show what I saw about 95% of the time. JUNK FOOD! Seriously, you will not believe what people bring loaded in their carts. Maybe everyone's food stamp thing is different but in Texas the lone star card, you can get away with crap for food. it's unreal...again wasteful spending!

March 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Nattada, Houston TX

The Bernie Madoff story is so sick!! How in the world could he keep all thay. I agree with you, Erica. I dont' think I want apartment that big that you have to clean and worry about the monthly expenses. Don't forget about taxes you have to pay for it, too.

March 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

As we can see, eating on this extremely lilmited budget simply leads to bigger health issues that end up costing a lot more in the long run. Processed foods are linked to cancer. This is scary.

March 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Kathy - Clearwater, Idaho

It costs a lot of money to eat healthy! That's why it's so hard to feed the kids when groceries are sky high.

March 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Eric walker, Miami Fl

@Anyone- How do American companies make profits in Canada and Europe were Unions are strong, they have national healthcare, high taxes? It seems to go against everything Republicians spout.

March 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  36. charlie

Letting that crook Murdof keep his ill gotten gains is the same as letting me keep part of the money for my trouble if I choose to rob my local bank.Give me a break.Put him in jail with Bubba till he coughs up all that hidden money and then you would see just how much his family including his wife is involved.

March 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Bea

For food stamps, the problem is kids. They want snacks as other kids have - and parents want to buy them for them to make them happy. They are expensive.

March 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Sharon S

Ok well come to VA and test the Food Stamp/welfare thing, because I know at the beginning of each month these women on food stamps here have way better food than I can afford, they have hams and steaks and sometimes 2 carts full? So go figure!

March 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Ron

Maybe some of the people that Madoff took money and life savings from should live in his mansion penthouse, and he should be made to live in a small apartment, even though he should be in jail.

March 2, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Claudia

Every week there is a new mini-Madoff, when regulations to fund managers will be defined?

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  41. James McConnel

Rush Limbaugh
    Why I, a registered Republican, voted for Democrats in the last 2 elections. because it was said: "The future belongs to those who are for something and never to those who are against something." by Norman Vincent Peale. How can you sit in the lap of luxury and pretend to represent the Blood, Sweat and Tears of the Free and the Brave?

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. craig

When the Democrats were in the wilderness after 2004 moveon.org led by George Soros was the defacto leaders of the Dems. Rush Limbaugh uses only words to inspire the conservatives. Moveon.org inspired the Dems with not only ideas but tons of $$ ..... which is worse ....... the words of Rush or the cash of Soros. George Soros actually influenced legislation.

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Fred - Washington PA

I spend less than $150/month on food. It's just too damned bad that people have has such expensive tastes. (Reaching for my violin)

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Maren in Oregon

In Salem, Or the City Council is contemplating allowing small domestic animals within the city limits – primarily limieted chickens and rabbits – for food. They're also looking at allowing people to have more than one "garage sale" per month, since a lot of people are trying to make a living that way. It all comes down to allowing people to try and support themselv es, and feed themselves – themselves!

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think it is more difficult to eat nutritiously when you have limited funds. Fatty foods are cheap.

A very difficult weight loss program indeed!

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so cute Sean's son and Sean....... They are great job reporting about stamp food!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  47. michael brennan san francisco

If Rush Limbaugh is the head of the GOP, then I’m bailing out. He’s just a radio talking head, that’s it. If anything, It’s his hyperbolic rhetoric that’s hurting Republicans. The GOP is in need of some serious direction. Let’s hope the ditto heads are not part of a new direction.

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Dodie from CA

@ Paul I understand. I belong to NO party.

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  49. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm afraid people like Limbaugh fuel the extreme underbelly of conservatism and the Republican party (those who see killing and physically attacking others as "just" or simply as a sport.) This kind of behavior, from persons like Lumbaugh, will lead to threats against the first family and others.

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  50. Chad Smith

I receive food stamps here in Michigan, it is very tough. I am grateful however. Compared to people in developing countries, I live like a king!

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |