March 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/02/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. carolyn cee yah

that why those ppl get fat, because carbs are cheaper, they should also get a fresh veg and fruit vocher. health problems on the way.

March 2, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Renee

Let AIG fold. Then private small business can take the bailout thru bids and break up their monopoly.
    We can't let that company hold taxpayers hostages. Let Them Fail.

March 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Tracey - Boston

I've been learning that there is not a pure capitalist government. We have some socialism aspects.

What we need is State Capitalism: an economic and political system in which companies are privately own but cooperate closely with government.

If we had this: AIG, The Big 3 and etc would not need our money to get a bailout!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I despise the food stamp program. There is no regulation so people in my city are selling them for junk! Saw one person outside the hospital and they were trying to sell it for BEER! I can't beleive how people are taking advantage of such a program meant for good...

March 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Emma

Maybe I'm used to being frugal but spending less than $6 a day on food is not hard. Bring your own lunch, cook your own dinner, look for sales, and use coupons.....that's how you do it.

March 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Mike Syracuse, NY

Bridget, TX March 2nd, 2009 10:28 pm ET
    @Jane, I believe even the GOP would give this administration credit for being the hardest working administration this country has seen in years

I'd give Obama credit for being the most covered President in recent history, and probably all of history. It's easy to appear to be doing a lot when the MSM covers every second.

March 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Vanessa, TX

Erica I don't many people have an apt that big..I don't think I could steal that much money and be ok w/ it..and have an apt that big..lol I would def. love to hear from people with a ginormous apt lol

March 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Amanda Walton--Fort Erie, Ontario Canada

31 million people in the U.S. on food stamps, my god that's almost the entire population of Canada. That is a very scary number.

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Emmerentia

Hi Anderson and fellow bloggers. Here from where I am I hear some Americans say that Pres. Obama should not spend money on education and healthcare now because of the financial crisis. But is that not what Presidents and congresses of the past 30 years have done? There always seemed to be "more important things" and now? Now America's education really looks sick compared to the world's standards and its healthcare desperately needs an overall or it will eventually be America's downfall! So, this is the time for strong leadership and determination to use this opportunity to fix what needs fixing. AIG makes one fear that the bottom may be falling way out.... But we live in hope and not fear. Take heart – Barack Obama was called for a time like this, I believe. Have a good night – I am getting ready for work.

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Barbara Pacheco, Gaffney South Carolina

I am so glad you are running the special on food stamps. My family is on them and it is nice that other people understand the amount of money that a family gets and just how tough it is to survive on food stamps.

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Mike, Greenville NC

This food stamp segment is great, shows just how many people are struggling every single day in our own country!

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Isabel, Brazil

Learning to live with the crisis is an art.
    Planning and Prioritization are the order of the day, every day!

We are facing a severe crisis with unpredictable consequences, but crises come and go at least in my country.

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Sean, IRAQ

So wait, let see think of this for a minute. The guy, who stole money. Wants to keep his home, and the wife wants to keep her stuff. I think that is completly upserd to think this guy could even think that was ok.
    Wow, what a judicial system if he gets what he wants.

Gay's in the military. All I have to say is that it is not as big of a deal as made out to be. I think that people are so confused by the homosexuality because only a few years ago was it the new thing. Yet it has been around for a long time. The only issue is that as in life there are extremes on both ends. And there will be homosexuals who join the military just because they can. With no real dedication to serve with Honor, or Integrity. As a soldier, your sexual prefrence does not matter. What matters is if you are going to be willing to possibly put your life on the line for the person next to you.

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  14. sue, montreal

The Dixie Chicks were treated like they organized 9/11 when they expressed an opinion about their government-Not getting why Limbaugh is being treated like a king?

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Rush wants attention, and I know he does not believe half of the things he says. You wish for people to succeed not fail. Wrong answer! Do the right thing; don't divide the people, Rush.

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Dean from Mo

the GOP had G bush Oh that's why we are all suffering now .da

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. CarenS, Denver, CO

A few observations from main street: 1. The President needs to remember that he did not win America's vote in a landslide. 2. The consumer taxpayer is not being helped by continued slide of the stock market; nor by such expansive spending that will surely result in increased taxes for all. 3. Does the Obama Administration have the tenacity to follow through problem solving, one step at a time?

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Jerry

A Drug addict Preacher of division and hate in bad economic times? Ring any BELLS?

March 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Sadie

Thank Goodness for Anderson, David G. and Lou Dobbs! They are the reason I tune into CNN...they are the most non-partison and true "reporters of the news" I have ever listened to...regardless of the "topic". Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  20. ginger

Madoff has destroyed so many lives, why does he deserve anything? I am a retiree and very nervous, I can imagine how some of his retired victims must feel!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Deb

I believe that Rush is only saying what most of us feel. I admire that he is listening to what people are complaining about. Democrats are intimated by him because more people are listening and becoming more vocal on issues.

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Michael Glatz

Madoff should be imprisoned at his own expense and ALL his belongings given to the people that he defrauded. NO DEALS!

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  23. chip lyon, missoula ,mt.

Maybe the Devil made (Rush)` him do it.

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Judi from Sacramento, CA

Everyone, including Rush Limbaugh, has the right to his/her own opinion but why doesn't anyone in the media discuss how very rude, egotistical, self involved and how extremely DISRESPECTFUL this person is to the office of the President of the United States?? His sarcasim, negativity and disrespect during his "speech to the nation" on Saturday was disgusting and planted terrible seeds in some people's minds I'm sure. Why oh why did CNN televise the entire thing???? I thought you had more class . . .

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Juanita KY

Hi, With all the doom and gloom- I wish you could re-post on the video blog the segment where Bobby taught Anderson to cut an onion. Sadly I missed the highlight of the week apparently! Due to budget restraints, I have cut off my Satellite Dish and now have to watch bits and pieces of AC360 through this website. Thanks for the Podcasts.

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Dodie from CA

I am afraid that Maddof is one of the few that we are aware of. I am sure there are many more that have gone undetected...its one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Shelley

Wow $6 dollars a day for food? That is sobering....can you imagine whole families having to get by on that? I cannot. Our food banks are instrumental now in helping make up the difference...if that is even possible.

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  28. desirae

Rush L is not important he just think he is. let him have a ego it;s funny. i think the gop is acting scared of him they should lead and not fallow this is why the American people don't trust them.

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Wayne Cordes

I keep listening to how we have to bail AIG and all the other greedy institutions out so our economy doesn't fail. These choices are supposedly made by our best and brightest...senators and representatives...and presidents! Go figure!

But wait. There is more!!! AIG is a prime example. Why not simply have the government underwrite all catastophic losses for AIG for 90 days, notify their insured clients that they have 90 days to find alternative sources of insurance, then pull the plug and let those who have prospered from their greed learn what it's like out in the real world. I'm sure it would cost the taxpayers less! That would create new jobs in other insurance companies, take down a company that should never have grown to its current level if appropriate regulation was in place and, most importantly, protect taxpayers from the unscrupulous ravages of big busines!

And then, when the the dust settles, use AIG to develop a national health insurance program to solve our healthcare issues. I just got a letter from my insurance company-BCBS, Wellmark, Iowa-that my insurance premium is increasing by more than 50%....more than $700 per month.

Let's get real and let the cards fall where they will! It's time to let the greedmongers live in the real world!

March 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Michelle Brown in Los Angeles - Love Obama

If Madoff was a ghetto drug dealer they would take everything his mother owned, sister owned, Wife owned, etc and they would each have tor prove that they could afford it to get it back. Madoff is a Thief in possession of stolen property. Everything he and his family own is STOLEN, and it should ALL be confiscated and sold to repay those Victims he stole from. Any different outcome is Unacceptable.

It is unsafe for anyone to be within 30 feet of him, as he as pissed off 100's,or 1000's of individuals that may do anything even pick up a gun.

March 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Sabrina

@Patrick Castronovo-Obama's plans have not even taken effect yet so to blame his plans on why the markets are so bad is bogus. The market is to into speculation instead of actual results.

March 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Michelle D. – Why don't you tell us how you really feel? 😉 Can't say I don't have a tendency to agree. But eating dirt might be a little much...

March 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Lori from IL

Beat 360! - Seriously, Jack Gray needs to write a book and/or do stand up. His comedic talent is incredible.

March 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Glen Up North

Patrick, reality check here: if everyone takes their money out of the market, then the market is going to _plummet_. Why do some people here think the market was perfectly fine before Obama was sworn into office? Am I misguided in thinking the symptoms we're seeing here is part of a problem that has been going on far longer than the Obama administration, and maybe even farther than the Bush one?

March 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Bea

Those who are trying to paint Obama as a traditional tax and spend liberal are being misled I think. He is a money guy and he doesn't intend to run a deficit forever. I think the liberals who don't mind spending and deficits will be disappointed down the road,

March 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Frank from Detroit

And i wish people would stop complaining about how our children will be paying for all of this. "All of this" didn't just happen last month people. And as long as our children live here in this great country, i'm pretty sure they'll be alright. We have the highest standards of living in the world. We need to fix healthcare and energy to create surplus anyway. Its called investing- takes money to make money!

March 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  37. Sharon A

how is it that Madoff can keep the extorted funds no matter whose name it is in....

March 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  38. Carmella

The boat looks really small to have 4 large guys on it. What's up with that?

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Miranda

Anderson.

Do you not have a penthouse apartment yourself making like 4 million a year at CNN for a one hour show to be speaking of the economy where people are suffering and Madoff's penthouse which is probably the result of Mrs. Madoff keeping it in her name knowing that 13 years of writing bogus reports would kinda catch up.

Im just sayin' and keeping you accountable

Miranda

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

One of those NFL players went to one of the schools in Washington state, it's amazing how such a small world we live in.......

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is good caption, love this....... I like beat 360!!!! Good job Jack and David in NY

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Polly, OH

Obama needs to get ON overturning "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
    It would set a great tone for the country and, hey– maybe we'd impress Canada and they'd back the expected escalation into Afghanistan.

And, you know. Civil Rights and all.

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Karen C

Madoff is like the poster child of what has happened to this country. He just got seriously caught and named is all. Sad part is he will probably get everything he asks for. My momma always said, them that has gets, them that doesn't have babies.

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Linda

Madoff will get to keep his home and money watch and see, nothing is going to happen to this guy but maybe jail time for a couple months and his finances secured. I don't know why they are spending so much news on this guy. He's not in jail yet and all the shit he has done since they arrested him, trying to horde jewerly and money his wife withdrawing and hiding money, if they didn't do anything in the beginning or then they are not going to do anything.

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Michelle

Good one Jack Gray.

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Dee

Obama seems to have 1 answer to all problems – spend more money.

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Sharon S

I would just like to know why Madoff is treated so differently than any other criminal?

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  48. vanessa from silver spring, MD

congrats jack on winning the beat 360 tonight. I could not imagine living on food stamps. my mother did, but that was b4 i was born. I'm struggling as it is with a college budget.

March 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Sean

Rush is not the leader of the GOP. He's The Godfather. Kiss his ring, or find the perverbiable horses head in your bed. The GOP leaders clearly know this and understand. And they follow suit.

March 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Karen beasley {do not publish name]

I attended REPUBLICAN county convention this past weekend and I have never seen such a fired up group. Rush does not want BO's policies. He wants his policies to fail. No one gives the entire statement. I have to laugh when David G. tries to tell republican leaders what to do. Why isn't CNN talking about how BO is failing, causing the US to be in the worst condition we've ever seen!!!!! We will win back congress in less than 2 years–just watch. We are getting our act together behind the scenes. OK in OK

March 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |