March 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/02/09

Want to know what we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

AIG should fail. I'm more worried about the regulation of the stimulus package and the bottom of the Stock market. We're ending up like Germany after the first world war. Economy shocked, we have to pay for stuff that's rediculous.........getting me flustered.

Anderson....don't even mention depression.....ugh 😦

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  2. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Floor crews, Panel members, and all bloggers.

The 60 minutes program yesterday was good. Very sad story, though.

I never though AIG would need the bailout. It was such a strong international company.

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  3. Kathy, Chicago

I think we need to concentrate on the banks and forget this spend mentality the Congress has cooked up.

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  4. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Everytime another "AIG-type" story comes out, consumers simply retract even more with their spending. We are in an extended 1929-type economic crash that is scaring consumers to death.

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  5. Emma

These numbers no longer mean anything to me. A hundred billion here, a hundred billion there........I can no longer wrap my head around all the money that's being tossed around.

March 2, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  6. Tracey - Boston

Rush has a first amendment right to his opinion... however ill conceived

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  7. john

wall street doesn't care about republican or liberal,,, they just look at the numbers

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  8. Sharon S

Good evening Anderson and everyone!

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  9. Maren in Oregon

I watched Rush Limbaugh for as long as I could. I came away with two thoughts: (a) he and anyone who thinks he's anything but – is a total jerk; and (b) Thank God for Rush Limbagh – without idiots like him and the Sarah Palins of the world, President Obama wouod not have been elected. The "loyal" opposition? A flame thrower in a growded theatre whose doors have been chained closed. If there is a diety whose paying attention, perhaps he or she can concoct some way for Rush to b e on TV every weekend – so we know where the enemy is.

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  10. Shelley

Sadly, I cannot believe we are bailing out AIG again. There should be a monetary bailout limit.

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  11. Rich

No more federal money to AIG!!! Time for Treasury Secretary Geithner to come down HARD with his "stress test" for banks and investment firms!!.................Have forme CEO Hank Greenberg sell his vacation home in Switzerland before we give them one single "penny' more of our money!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  12. Greg, Austin Tx

Good point there. We don't know what will happen if we don't bail out AIG but then again, we don't know for sure what will happen if we do.
    Tough call.

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

Emma – he sure thinks he does! And many of the so-called leaders apparently don't have the cojones to talk him down.

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  14. vanessa from silver spring, MD

The more the Republican party fights itself, the more we stop paying attention to them. I want POTUS to succeed. If he succeed, America succeeds, and if America succeeds, I succeed.

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  15. Glen Up North

Is it just me, or was it all the high-interest-rate/web-based investment banks that are requiring bailouts? Now it's an insurance group... and scarily, I think it's the group that insures my car. Eep!

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you, Tracey in Boston.....
    Please no more bailouts!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  17. Isabel, Brazil

Today two highlights were negative: AIG and HSBC. For this week, the market will expect more clarity on US packages, mainly to help banks.
    We have to wait, but there heart!

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  18. Narendar

I am a democrat and am also invested in the stock market...I just cannot believe the staggering amount of market drops....Can Obama really do something about this??? Wake up Mr. President!! Please help fix the market first!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  19. Esma

Hey, everyone! Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, and everyone at AC360...and of course, da bloggaz: Brandi, the Vanessas, Megan, Chris, Isabel, Betty Ann, Stacy, EJ, Glen, et. al.
    Anderson, wonderful and haunting piece on 60 Minutes on Sunday.
    I'd like to thank those contemptible bivalve mollusks that comprise the head of AIG who managed to lose $61.7 Billion in one quarter! This is lunacy!!!

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  20. Dodie from CA

sell AIG's fancy building

FEDERALIZE AIG!

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  21. Eric walker, Miami Fl

Why are we insuring or propping up a AIG that pays out money to other countries?

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  22. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, David G, and bloggers! Shout-out to my sister Ashley Sosa.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday so far! Looking forward to discussing Clinton later on tonight.

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  23. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Randi and all Bloogers. Powerfully bad day for the stock market. Time to let it go and find out what would happen if we let it go "BELLY-UP".

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  24. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening dear Anderson. More losses which is becoming the norm.

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  25. Sabrina

Wishing a sitting President to fail sounds very unamerican to me. I was very disappointed CNN decided to air such hate speech.

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hi Anderson, Great report on "60 Minutes" last night!

Where is Geithner with the plan for the banks that Obama promised during his press conference? How can the government keep giving these companies bailout money without a plan in place?

March 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  27. Shelley

Hi everyone, Wow shocking news on Wall Street today.

March 2, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  28. Sean, IRAQ

Good evening again all. It's 0600 in the morning, prayer in Iraq has been going on for the last hour. I wonder if it would help our economy

What do you think?

March 2, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  29. Kathy, Chicago

I think that Rush L is a windbag, but I am losing faith in the President daily.

March 2, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  30. Dee F

Rush Limbaugh is a hatemonger and fearmonger. At this time we all need to work together and help each other!

March 2, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  31. Emma

I hope people realize Rush Limbaugh does not represent the Republican party.

March 2, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  32. L. Carilo, H.R., CO

So why is this guy relevant...he has a radio show and a big mouth?

March 2, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  33. Tracey - Boston

No more Bailouts!

AIG right now who cares...

34. Bridget, TX

Hi Anderson, CNN team and fellow bloggers:)

Bad news but looks like we have Ali and David tonight–that's always a pick me up.

35. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Good evening bloggers! OK, I'm re-stating my forecast. I still see the bottom in the DJIA in June, but now I'm looking at 5600-5800 (I originally though 6000-7000 in June.)

Rush Limbaugh is UN-AMERICAN and UN-PATRIOTIC, thanks to his uncontrollable ego.

36. Judith-Noelle Lamb

Madoff should not be allowed to keep his penthouse apartment. Furthermore, assuming my college business law class is still relevant, his wife’s assets are not safe either if we apply the principle of “fraudulent conveyance”. As his wife’s actions illustrated when she transferred ~$15 million of assets before Madoff confessed, she is not an innocent bystander!

37. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers.

Hope everyone had a good weekend - sounds like another busy news week.

38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hate to say this Rush is so bad things to say people!

39. Glen Up North

Evening Anderson, Erica, David, CNN, and bloggers everywhere. 🙂

40. john

yeah, throw money into the fire,,, that'll fix it...

41. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Ashley, Esma, Brandi, Vanessa, Megan, Chris, and all my fellow evening conversationalists! I would say Happy Monday but not much to be incredibly happy about! :S

Starting off with Rush Limbaugh? That doesn't inspire much confidence for the rest of the night!

42. Bea

Hi Bloggers! Is anyone asking whether AIG could have done better?

43. Vanessa, TX

Hiya Anderson, Erica, AC360 crew, my fellow smartees & doopingers,
    Welcome to another month..from what we are seeing not starting of to a good month, hope it gets better..
    I can't believe AIG lost all that money..are they gonna need more bailout money?

44. Carl

Last month was best month I have ever had since I went into business in 2006. This Feb 2009 grew 70% from Feb 2008. There is hope. Not all businesses are failing.

The unfortunate part is the worse the economy gets the better my business model will do.

45. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

What is up bloggers! Anderson and Erica! 🙂 Hopefully AIG didn't ruin your day.........ugh, not Rush. Now I'm gonna have to go on Facebook and express feelings I couldn't express here.......

March 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Isabel, Brazil

Hi, Anderson!
    Good evening for you!

Hi, AC360 team and bloggers!
    Hello, Megan, Betty Ann, .Brandi, Rikki, …
    Evening for everyone!

The week starts badly in the stock market. Stock exchanges around the world operated in strong in this low Monday. It's so bad!

March 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Stephen Berson

Bernie Madoff is attempting to legally keep assets that he has in his wifes name. I believe a good prosecutor can prevent that by pointing out those assets were obtained with ill gotten funds therefore those contracts with the wife's name are null and void.

March 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, Anderson, Erica, David G, David in IN, Brandi, Esma, Bea, BettyAnn, Rikki, Michelle D, Glen, EJ, Ashley, Isabel, Chris S, Vanessa TX, Pati, Casey and best bloggers!!!!!
    Hope you have great weekend!!! ( I watched 60 minutes last night, it was good show!)
    Happy Monday!!!!!!
    Whoa!!! that is not good day for AIG and Stock Wall stumpled down points below the 7-thousand mark for the first time in 12 years. That is so bad day for people!!!! OUCH! Our money/dollars lost the stock!

March 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey all! Shout out to Anderson, Erica,David G, and the rest of the best bloggers in the world. too much of them to shout out personally.

More money to AIG. I hope these bailouts work. I understand that giving money to these companies is needed, but i just hope it works. And Rush Limbaugh is a whole nother story.

March 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Brandi- bottom of the boot

goodevening all.

AIG??? Not again. this is getting crazy! what are these snollygosters thinking????

hey esma, megan, vanessa in el paso, chris, rikki, ej, bettyann, isabel (hola for you!), oh my, who'd i forget? lol its been a really long day.

March 2, 2009 at 10:00 pm |