February 27th, 2009

What Mexico's drug war means for U.S.

Ruben Navarrette Jr.
Special to CNN

You may have heard the rumor that, as a result of a bloody drug war that has claimed more than 7,000 lives since January 2007, Mexico is on the verge of being declared a "failed state."

Drawing a lot of its oxygen from cable demagogues and talk radio, the chatter intensified several weeks ago when the Pentagon issued a report warning that our neighbor - along with Pakistan, no less - could face a "rapid and sudden" collapse because "the government, its politicians, police and judicial infrastructure are all under sustained assault and pressure by criminal gangs and drug cartels."

How's this for pressure? The police chief in Ciudad Juarez resigned last week after drug traffickers began to make good on their promise to kill police officers in that city until the chief stepped down.

Read more...

Filed under: 360° Radar • Ruben Navarrette Jr.
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I was shocked hearing the U.S. is the number ONE country for drugs and the drug cartels know this. This scares me half to death when I think about my 11 year old grandson.

February 27, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  2. john

well at least we have to give mexico some credit because of what there doing about drugs and gangs. But look at us the government has not even looked at the issue of gangs her in the U.S.

February 27, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  3. melody Schaut

I would like to thank Anderson Cooper for putting this story on his show. It is about time this story on the war in Mexico is being told to the American people. I live up in Wisconsin and no one in my area knew anything on this subject and what is happening on our southern borders. I think the National News should be reporting on this more. This war has been going on for awhile and the news media would rather cover what the President wants to name his dog, or what kind of dog he is getting, I can read that in the in People mag.. It is time to wake up and and see what we can do to protect our borders and the American people that live in this country. The questions I have is why did it take so long for the National News Media to start telling this story? Did our government want this to be push under the rug?

February 27, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  4. Ray

This is a result of the U.S. failed "War on (some) Drugs"
    Didn't we learn from the 1930s? Prohibition DOES NOT work
    There is too much money to be made.

February 27, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  5. GF, Los Angeles

More reason to reinforce our border with Mexico.

The only thing that will stop the drug trade and violence is when American's no longer demand drugs. No demand = no supply. Good luck to us all on that happening.

February 27, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  6. JIM FALLBROOK CA

If it does become a failed state, maybe Obama will finally have to protect the borders. At this time, he supports illegal aliens.

February 27, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  7. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Amazing, when "money talks"--these are the results.

February 27, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  8. Dean Schindler

And yet we are focused so much on Iraq and not looking at what is happening to our neighbor next door???? What can we do to assist with this horrific situation taking place in Mexico? I live in Houston, and trust me, the crime will continue to spread and we have already had reports of the drug traffic coming through our areas and highways...all with Mexico final destinations. I am very concerned that this violence is already jumping over the border...and I think the USA has plenty to deal with concerning the economy without allowing this to become our next huge concern.

February 27, 2009 at 11:49 am |