February 25th, 2009

Obama’s big plans are a good thing

Roland S. Martin
Special to CNN

Every day, parents and teachers across this country tell young people to dream big, not sell themselves short and prepare to go further and higher than the previous generation.

Corporations spend a lot of time, energy and money trying to get employees to get out of their comfort zone and think out of the box.

So can someone explain to me why it's a bad thing when the president of the United States does it?

Read More...

1. glen

Roland, if you want to reveal the truth about the state of this economy and why this scandal could be the greatest heist of the American peoples money this country has ever seen, go to the Democracy Now website and listen to a report today by Amy Goodman who interviewed Robert Sheer about the country and her great fall if Obama does not get it together. This is about high crimes and misdemeanors at the highest level, watch the broadcast. Aired today about 11am east time. This is the kind of information the mainstream dare not tell, but thanks to shows like democracy now, current tv, and other who bring us the truth and some of us have got to find a way to get more people tuned in or we will all go down together and I am not going, I will see you when you get back, if you come back.

March 19, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  2. Juanita from Detroit

I am continually amazed and awed by our new president. Not only is he the most articulate president in recent history ,he is also the most thoughtful one. He has big ideas, big plans but they are all needed programs that should have been adopted 20 years ago.I fully support President Obama in all of his efforts.

February 27, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  3. Bill

The Anonymous Wall Streeters & Investors

Just who are these people!!! Really, who are these people that have so much influence on the stock market? We often hear the media pundits make such comments as “stocks dropped because Wall Street did not like this or did not like that”; or “investors are waiting on this report or that report”; or “investors are taking profits.” When the media talks about any other entity involved in this financial mess, not only are company names associated, but often real live faces. But rarely if ever, are there specific identities associated with Wall Street or Investors; except I did hear Warren Buffet mentioned once. I understand the dynamics of a free market and the concept of supply and demand. However, I think it would be extremely informative if the media stops using the term Wall Street or Investors and identify specific people. Everyone else gets to be put on the hot seat because of there decisions when they affect the lives of millions and Wall Streeters should not have a free weld of absolute power.

February 27, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  4. Yami from Houston

I just wanted you to know what’s really going on out here. I went to get a loan from Chase bank last week for $2,000.00 to $5, 000.00 to help with equipment that I need to use for set up on two Historical Black colleges s well as a local school district here in the Houston area. I was told that I need a credit score of at least 700. Theres no way most of us can get any of your help. It still means that the money is going to go to those who need the least amount of help. I have a chance to put at least 4 college students to work and help them out, I can not get help from the very bank that I have my accounts with. I just saw the Pres. of chase on the national news saying that he was giving out the money tax payers gave him. Where is our help? Its heart breaking to hear these things and then feel like you get slapped in the FACE when you try to make a step forward. I felt like I was asking only for what I needed to get by and go forward to maybe helping open the door for others as well as myself. If I am missing something please let me know. I am trying to do all that is right, and I feel that I must be one of many who are fighting the same wall of frustration we faced before all this help was to be offered. I can make a difference in all this but the help would be nice. I work hard on keeping my things paid to raise my FICO score as well as my credit score and it seems to not matter that I paid off any old debts, they always go back to them. There is a problem when you do all you can and you are always reminded of things you may have done in the past that are no longer relevant to the present. I need your help to really talk to us who are going through everything that you are speaking about. I want to be able to keep my house and as a small business owner I can do that with the right set up, which should be fair to all not just a few. It's still set up for those who have to get their hands on the money and not us who really need it. Not all of us in small business are over the Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand amount that they keep talking about; some of us are real people trying to make it work. Please, Please, Help!!
    Keith Johnson
    The Water Ice Factory LLC.

February 25, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  5. Tina

I watched the Oprah Show today and was shocked and in tears to see the amount of hard-working Americans now homeless due to the economic crisis. How can be we be so blind to the real issues real Americans are facing. These people are not the rich McCain Republicans that don't even know how many houses they have...but REAL hard working middle class Americans that are being forced on the streets. We need to start highlighting more of the facts in the media. There is no tax cut big enough to help our fellow Americans that have lost their jobs, their homes, and are now roaming the streets looking for shelter and a job.

February 25, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. JIM FALLBROOK CA

I am not so sure of that. He did not explain in detail what he plans to use the stimulus for. Obama is using a bait and switch technique on the American people. With one hand, he is givin money to the working and middle class. With the other he is taking it away and then some. It is obvious due to the stock market going down to ist lowest level in about14 year. Apparently Wall street must be agreeing with me.

February 25, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. kenya

I'm hoping that obama helps the economy, but I'm hoping he can also help with the racial crisis we have. No one wants to say it but it's getting worst everyday and we just want to turn the other cheek . My daughters father was sentenced on Wed. to do 80 years in prison for a possesion of cocaine. He's been in trouble before for marijauna in 1996 for a possesion. He got out started working until his job closed down. He signed up for college graduated but couldn't get a job because they said he needed experiece plus we are from MISSISSIPPI. He started doing a little hustle and got in trouble but was it worth giving him 80 years was it worth taking my daughter's father from her at age 11 years. And we wonder why we are in a crisis because taxpayers are paying for ignorant things like that. and you also have to pay his medical bills he started having seizures. He had to have brain surgery and he has a bleeding disorder so is it worth it?

February 25, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  8. David

This message is to Anderson Cooper – His name is "President Obama" not "Mr. Obama." Tonight you joined the throngs of news reporters that fail or refuse to call "President Obama", "President Obama."

I'm sure there are those who cannot swallow an African-American being President. However, it does not appear that you fall in that category. So please lets call him President. He's earn it!

February 25, 2009 at 9:50 pm |
  9. Lindsay, Mobile AL

Well Roland I am normally not a fan of you, I often find your rhetoric inane, annoying, and why do you always have to shout? But in this moment you are right, So what if Obama shoots for the stars and misses, at least he will hit the moon right? So yes lets make outrageously big plans, things people say can’t be done, and figure out how to do them, even if we only get half way there its better than nothing at all.
    And hey Roland, when you yell, it just makes me change the channel.
    Thanks Lindsay

February 25, 2009 at 9:41 pm |
  10. TILJUANA

I think the president is doing a wonderful job!!!everyone is so quick to judge him but we have made some progress and thats alot better than when bush was in office because things could be alot worst !i think this man deserves a fighting chance hell when bush was in office were did that get us nowhere!!!!just alot of soliders dying for nothin!!!!!! its time for a change!look at what is going on around us the world is so messed up! innocent people are gettin killed that doesnt make since!!!!!!!now is the time to make a diffrence!

February 25, 2009 at 9:26 pm |
  11. Annie Kate

If Obama had only promised more of the same then we would have all been upset. I found his speech constructive and comforting – that in the face of this recession we can still aim high and set our goals accordingly. Its one thing to set high aspirations when times are good, but its brave and comforting to set the same goals when times are hard. It lets you know that things will improve and that we can still get to where we wanted to go despite it all. If Obama only gets half of what he talked about done, then he will have accomplished more in his 4 years then most presidents have achieved in 8.

February 25, 2009 at 8:38 pm |
  12. Larry

Where was the media when congress was being run by the democrats for the past two years? Why are the democrats who didn't pay tax only being exposed now? Why is Charlie Rangel still think he doesn't have to pay tax?

February 25, 2009 at 7:33 pm |
  13. G. Martinez

I like our new President and believe he means well.

February 25, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  14. xtina, chicago IL

dreaming big is one thing. the biggest spending bill in history is another.

February 25, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  15. G. Martinez

One group that has not been blamed for this economic mess is the media. Where were they when all of these things were happening? This mess took years to come to this state of sorry affairs. We can not believe in our churches because they are too busy steeling or abusing our children. We can not believe in our government because they lie and rob us at every chance. Parents are divorsed. And now the media has sold out to anyone willing to purchase some air time.

February 25, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  16. Tammy

President Obama is a man with a plan and his speech was moving and necessary.I liked knowing that the President addresses us as americans instead of Democrats and Republicans.This is a time when we all need to come together for our communities and country.God Bless the United States.

February 25, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  17. Mari, Salt Lake City

@ Michael "C".... WOW.... I agree with you again!! And here you are a conservative! Well said!

We are afraid of failure, which is a tragedy because then we will not achieve what our Creator created us to do.

Roland Martin, I enjoyed your article. You are right, we can not afford to set our expectations low, we have to reach for the stars! We are a Nation with a proud history of achieving MANY IMPOSSIBLE DREAMS! Just stop and think about ........ WWII! The odds were against America, we were not prepared, we did not have the funds..... but hell, we pulled ourselves up by the "boot straps" and marched FORWARD!

I am upset at the fear and despair I see in my fellow Americans! GET OVER IT..... come on, WE CAN GET THROUGH THIS AND COME OUT STRONGER!

Live within your means, don't have plastic debt, work hard, serve your Country, do your best, support your president and Congress, pray for them and for our Nation! And .....

DO NOT LOSE HOPE...... YES WE CAN AMERICA & YES WE WILL!

February 25, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  18. Jan from Texas

I can't help but wonder for all the intensive examination of every thing that President Obama utters and every change he is making by the news media; maybe if the media had been so deligent in the past eight years, maybe President Obama wouldn't have the almost impossible task of getting America back on its feet and a country moving forward. Maybe the banking industry would have been seen for what it was doing that lead up to this bail out! Maybe some of the same people in power criticizing decisions being made now – should have been seen as the contributor of the economy's woes during the past eight years. Where was the media to scrutinize the workings of our government and those representing the people of America with their check and balances as their are doing now.

February 25, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  19. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Hello Roland!
    I would be frigntened if our President didn't have high expectations! We must think BIG! We must go forward with a positive attitude.
    We finally have a President who reaches across all borders and boundaries and wants to unite and work together and compromise.
    I can not fanthom why anyone would fault President Obama's efforts unless they want to look really bad.
    I am so proud of our President I could squeal like a little girl (you thought I was going to say pig since I am from TX)!
    Keep the faith Roland. I am. I gave those negative people up for lent.
    Thank you for your blog. It is always refreshing!
    Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck!
    XO's

February 25, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  20. Joanne Pacicca, Solvay, NY

In Europe the government pays to educate the people. I suppose that would be called socialism here in the USA...how many parents wish we had that brand of socialism today? And to think that there are disappointed, bright young people having to compromise their goals...and others criticize the President?

February 25, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  21. penny

"President Obama is extremely intelligent . Therefore, the Republicans are just going to complain about spending the money and will never know how to execute instructions to give ideas to help save money except for tax cuts. It might be that the Senate nor Congress will not bring any ideas that will provide execution of instructional processes of the President's agenda at the table because of their age." I understood what the president was talking about. His greatest challenge will be finding people to execute those ideas in to reality. He has the ability to inspire America to help."

February 25, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  22. Melissa

Yes they are good. Its the fact that people are giving up thinking big thats part of the problem, not the solution.

February 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  23. Joe G. (From Illinois)

It seems to me that you are seeking a lure.. But as always never fail to showcase your faith. How can anyone ever make a conversation with you when clearly your Hero is of a Fantastic Nature, Patriotic and with Religious connotations? You just know it all.. You just know how to pick the winners! Don’t you Mr. Martin?

February 25, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  24. Ann Marie Carter

The economy do not have to get worst. If Congress were more thoughtful towards the U.S. Citizen's instead of thinking of themselves. Instead of fighting terrorism, they are becoming terrorists, especially the Democratic Party. I commend President Bush, and the Republican Party for not being push overs.
    President Bush might have been a C average graduate student of Yale. President Barack Obama is a graduate of Princeton and Havard for me he's still not smart enough. Looking for new resources of energy, which is going back in history. Using the resources of our Native American's and calling it green energy. Using the oil resources that Native American's and freed African Slaves discovered, like in the State of Florida.
    The rebuilding plan is just finishing the developments and construction that has already begun. For members of our Government and their Constinuents to invest in businesses in America. President Barack Obama blueprint plan sounds like a Jay Z's album. With the explosion of technology coming from Asia, when this is partially the cause of our disablement along with the bombimg of the World Trade Center in our Financial Systems.
    To top things off with the foreclosures. How are homeowner's are supposed to refinance when receiving unemployment benefits? This is not equal rights, equal opportunity, or a recovery plan. this is highway, toll roads, bridge building robbery, of our free society.
    A takeover with the advancement of nuclear from Korea. Energy resources, technology, construction, developments, and automobiles, from Germany, China, Japan, Itlay, Middle Eastern, and other Asian Countries.

February 25, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  25. Christine Laursen

We are so fortunate to have a President with such a realistic and positive outlook. His plans are AMAZING. There are so many ways our country has fallen behind the times, and now we have a leader who will bring us to a bright future. Education is one of the great keys to our future...and President Obama understands the immediate and future needs in this area. He also will bring us forward with technology and bring affordable healthcare to millions of Americans. His speech last night gave a lot of specifics...and many of us are extremely excited about our future thanks to President Obama's great vision and work.

February 25, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  26. Damon

My wife just got laid off from her job, she's a 13 yr. experienced "Software Analyst" who makes over 75K annually. The company she works for laid off over 50 workers and some were replaced by H-1B Visa workers from India, who are working for less pay. None of the 50 american workers were given the option of taking less pay, just asked if they would be willing to train their replacements.

February 25, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  27. Robert Shaw

Obama's plans are good but his speech was based on CYA rhetoric. We don't need "if" We need when.

February 25, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  28. Lilibeth

I have no problems with the President being ambitious. It's not as if he has no concrete plans to accomplish the things he said. At this juncture in our nation's history, we should focus on solving problems with courage, determination, and perseverance, and not let fear take over. If we fail along the way, that's OK, as long as we learn from our mistakes and move forward. And if we keep moving forward, eventually, we'll get to the place where we want to be. His courage inspires me.

February 25, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  29. James from Cleveland

Right on Roland! I agree completely, Pres. Obama and the US should "dare greatly'!! One of my favorite quotes:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

February 25, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  30. Luis

You socialist crack me up.

Of course Obama is going to say things that are popular. Of Course.

What really needs to happen is Obama needs to tell the truth, We are broke. Companies will have to change or go and people will have too loose their homes they couldn't afford. NO BAILOUTS. NO REWARD FOR BAD BUSINESS DECISIONS. BAD FINANCIAL DECISIONS.

That's what needs to happen

What is popular is not always right. People in a democracy will eventually vote themselves raises, Vote themselves for more power and eventually become a Venezuela state, where a democracy in the end voted themselves out of a democracy.

February 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  31. Katie Cavanaugh

OK–I admit it–I voted for Obama, I genuinely like Obama, and I believe he is doing an excellent job....but I have the first "medical" case of "Obama Overload". There is'nt one single moment we are'nt talking about him, seeing a mini news conference featuring him, or listening to the CNN Commentators begin EVERY sentence with "President Obama". Really TRUELY, I like this man...but he is on the verge of total, sickening overexposure the likes of the Octumom. Please CNN, give us a little break from hearing about him every moment of everyday.....just for a few days. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. For real.
    Katie, springfield MA

February 25, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  32. Jerry D. Edwards

I think we should at least give the presidents plan a chance to work,he has only been president for a little over a month and some are already saying it want work.My comment is why? In the last 20 yrs. have the democrats had to come in and clean up the mess that the republicans has made. Talking about spending to much.These guys are only concern about thier own wallets and not about the people of this great country.

February 25, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  33. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

So can someone explain to me why it’s a bad thing when the president of the United States does it? I have a theory that might explain it: We are afraid of failure-–it is not that we are afraid of failure-–but rather defeat--and there is a difference.

February 25, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  34. Michelle

I like the fact that President Obama is ambitious.
    One can grab what is going on around the world
    and master it. Or be too afraid to figure things out
    by not trying anything new.

February 25, 2009 at 12:58 pm |