February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Andrew K, Sacramento, CA

Love the "take charge", "rebuild", and "move forward" rhetoric. Positive language helps build confidence. Not so much enjoying the "economy we inherited" rhetoric. Language like that only further drives the partisan wedge.

2. Marc

As a Portland, Oregon resident, keeping an eye on volcanoes is important to our state's economy – an unexpected eruption would be a body blow. If Gov. Jindal can give up his levies, then we can talk.

3. Jim..Phoenix

It's sad to see Republicans smerk when the President was speaking. They still can't believe they got us into this miss. After the speach, I feel more confident on how we will recover

4. Steve

For a guy who says he wants to be "bi-partisan", he sures spends a lot of time throwing darts an the Republicans. If I were a Republican congressman, I sure wouldn't have a warm fuzzy feeling towards this guy.

5. Americano

Seriously? Bobby Jindal already criticizing and pointing fingers. That was typical politics. Blame the others for being irresponsible. He even sounded fake.

6. Michelle

President Obama is in a league all by himself.
    The GOP does not have anyone who can
    communicate on his level.

7. John O

Republicans need to realize that the Ultra Conservative Christian Right does not represent America. Bobby Jindal seems like a cloan in a young body. Wake up Republican Party!

8. David _ Florida

Why won't he stand up to the members of Congress and stop all the earmarks, he promised us he would and he won't do it! And how about stopping the Congress from using Government jets instead of complaining about the CEO of the largest companies in the world having them?

9. Tannia

The President speech was excellent. Even though it had many highlights/topics, I think it gave enough information for us the people to know wheres hes going.

10. Ruth

Did I hear President Obama say that the checks were on the way? He was talking about the 95% of American who will receive a tax cut and I thought I heard him say "by the way, those checks are on the way"....are we getting a check?

11. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Where's the magic wall John King to make this economy mess disappear . An emtional warm bath David Gergen -that's the idea calgon take me away from this gloom

12. sharon

Great speech by the President! Short, to the point and on point! Now, about Bobby Jindal - new face, same old republican message.

13. Kelly

Obama said the right things and said them the right way. Communication is key. I was disappointed with Jindal's response. There was no substance. His Katrina analogy didn't make sense.

14. Steve - southern Illinois

It's extremely annoying listening to people who voted for 8 years of george bush complain about the deficit.

15. Leroy Sturdivant

What a speech i didn't think that President Obama would be thoughtful and clear headed and don't worrying about what the Republican party was going to do after his speech. He talked to tha people and that is what I enjoyed tha most keep it up MR. PRESIDENT.

16. Lauri

Give me a break CNN (and everyone else) how fake and phony can Governor Jindal be? Wow, Obama has only been in office for a little over a month and he (Governor Jindal) is already politicking for 2012? How disrespectful to give Mr. America face time and try to undermine President Obama–trust me, the Republicans got whipped in this election, keep it up and it will be another landslide come 2012-The Republicans had their 8 years--What a phony-you can tell he is jockeying for position-and I can read right through his disingenuous "caring" about the country–please-

17. Alexis

Gov. Jindal spoke to the country as though we were about 10 years old.

18. Jan White Lake, MI

everett

It is not the President or government that can change things around for us. It is us that can change things.

Have you not heard, "Ask not what our country can do for you , but ask what you can do for your country?" I guess that Obama, Nancy or the rest of the Democratic Party never heard that either.

19. Stephanie

Obama's speech was great! As a public school teacher I appreciated his emphasis on parents taking an active role in thier children's education!

20. Jameelah

Jindel is a JOKE!!! New Orleans is still not rebuilt, but he has such a great plan on who to rescue the nation. RIGHT!!!!
    How about you see about your own state first!

21. Tyler, Lincoln Nebraska

Jindal's response was anticlimactic. After being titillated for an hour by Obama's rhetoric, I was let down by Jindal's words. What they say about grandma's house holds true for the GOP; regardless of what baked goods she gets you in the door with, she'll still tell you the same story about uncle Hank you hear every time. Lets try something new.

22. Diane Dagenais Turbide

How can we believe any of this from Mr. Jindal!

Promising and inspiring speech? Very twisted and dishonest!

Have not learn anything from the lost campaign from the expectations for changes from the american people! Thank you for staying in the past and not providing a new world vision of the new and better place of America at home and with friends and allies!

23. Larry Christensen

I think President Obama did an excellent job of explaining what and how things need to be done. Gov Jindal seems like he's running for President in 2012. Give Obama a break, he inherited a Republican problem and he's been in office barely 30 days.

24. Darlene Christianson

I was overall impressed with the speech, this is what the country needed! However I did make me question if Obama is watching h is back- With all the talk about how badly the countries economy was and how he is going to stop overspending by government etc- what about the Speaker of the house behind him that just returned from an all expensed paid trip to italy? This does not make sense...

25. Mari

Obama did a wonderful job tonight, however, I'm unsure of what the Gov of Lousiana is hoping to accomplish with this useless message. The bill has passed. What does this do other than cause dissent among our nation. I feel as this is disrepectful to the President and our country. Furthermore, I his message was condescending and offensive.

26. Dan Buffalo

President Obama insires me again keeping my hope alive. He was reassuring and presidential. A promising leader at last!

27. rich

My God, the response by the GOP and specifically Jindal, was the most pathetic response I have ever witnessed. It sounded as he was addressing a bunch of 6th graders with his tone and demeanor.

28. venus

im confused bobby jindal talks about the republicans want whats best and their plan is for the american people hello..... didnt the republicans have eight years to get it right thats what i thought have a seat republicans its time for change.

29. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I couldn't understand the argument about Katrina Jindal made either David Gergen.

30. Regina

I was impressed with President Obama but unhappy with the republican party. I am sick of them talking about tax cuts but if you don't have a job how is this going to help me or anyone else. These tax cuts will only help their rich friends.

31. Karen

I was very pleased with Obama's forthright approach and honesty. Speech wa exactly as expected but necessary. However, listening to Gov. Jindal, he read his speech like it was a bedtime story. I know he was trying to be engaging but it didn't come across well

32. steve

Lots of promises,,lots of talk =lots of taxes
    Pelosi was making me dizzy

33. Shane

I think President Obama addressed all people tonight. Democrats, Republicans, and most importantly the American People. He made it clear and to the point. I believe he will save this country.

34. George

When was the last time we heard a president use the words "Accountable and Transparency"? I'm sold.

35. Mindy, GA

Yay, Gergen! ILU Gergen!

If Jindal is the future of the Republican Party, I'm biting the bullet and changing my registration to Democrat.

36. xtina, chicago IL

why are people intimidated by Gov. Jindal? All he said was "don't trust Washington with your money". He's got a right to oppose Obama, doesn't he?

37. john

Jindal was terrible. i do not understand why he is gaining popularity.

38. Debbie Bowen

Bobby ....We keep hearing the same-o same-o from you republicans. I'm falling asleep listening to you.

39. Stacy

Jindal was terrible, but to be fair, the rebuttal is usually a recipe for failure. It's hard to follow the president and the energy in that hall.

40. KevinC

@Sharon S. Regardless of jobs being temporary or permanent, it gives people money, who will then spend it in stores and on services, and those businesses will grow and offer jobs which will again give people money to spend and so on. Trickle up economics is what's needed now, not tax cuts in the hope those who benefit will invest in new workers because as we've seen over the last 7 years since Bush gave tax cuts to the richest Americans, it didn't work.

41. Mike, Syracuse NY

Jindal was more positive than Obama has been. Obama was a better speaker, but it was just another campaign speech.

42. David

What was Jindall talking about when he railed against reducing the military? Obama said that he was increasing it and raising their pay. Though I would have liked to have heard him talk about reducing contracting out the war, but that may be part of the budget cuts.

43. shay

Obama just nailed so many of the things that simply had to be said, and said them clearly, succintly and made me feel good! Nancy Pelosi messing with her agenda in the background irritated me.

44. Brendan

That GOP rebutle was absolutly ridiculous. WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO DIVIDE THE COUNTRY?!?! If there is any time were people need to get together it is NOW. Why is he saying "we did this", "they did that". NO!!. We are all in it together. Get some guts and stop being politicians.

45. deborah ricce

anderson cooper, could you tell me if gov. jindal of louisiana has
    fixed ward 9 yet? he sounds like a man who don't want to help the poor. he maybe the new face of the republican party but does he
    help the poor of his own state or just talk about?.
    this governor talks abouts doing anything let us know what has he done to really fix louisiana ward 9 district and get his poor back to their homes. i believe brad pitt has done more than this governor, which makes him a bad spokes person. i apologize if my knowledge is incorrect and i am listening to you to answer this big question for us. does he cut taxes for his state and starve the poor, or does he fix the problems of his state by any means necessary, even raising taxes.

46. Chuck

Are you kidding... No pork in the recent stimulus bill... Wake-up America

47. Xavier

Who can go into specifics of the plans if you only have an hour! He has the specifics. Do you have 24hours to listen to them? Can you give those type of specifics in only an hour?!?! The president is on point!

48. ducdebrabant

Why did Bobby Jindal sound like he was speaking to 5 year olds? It was like Mister Jindal's Neighborhood. I thought he'd get out a picture book or introduce Mr. Greenjeans.

49. Kim

The President said many things that the everyday person has been saying for months and wanting someone to finally stand up and say it in congress. It was a clear signal to everyone, he has come to do the job that we voted for him to do – excellent speech and best I've heard in many years

50. Miranda

The rebuttal sounds like a bad infomercial at like 4 in the morning..."All we have is fear itself", a wonderful quote and it seems the Republicans are trying to play that card...really hard to us...even though they were responsible for the majority of the debt we now have and wants us to forget it to trust them again so they can try to push their agendas through...I hope we don't buy it...we need change not more of the same...President Obama needs to remind us of these facts when Republicans try to say they will work with him yet do otherwise despite the will of the people.

Miranda