February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Laura, Boston

President Obama didn't say anything really new. He can speak that is a given but he didn't say anything to me personally.

2. Val

I am glad we have a President with some ambition! Gov. Jindal comes off a little hokey- and almost like he didn't HEAR the president's speech.

3. renee

i'd like to see tom friedman as an advisor to president obama

4. Andrew

Look forward to see the President's plan put into action. If only half of it can be accomplished then we, the Americans who can anything, will be in great shape!!!

5. Carl

By far the best speaker and most leader like commander in chief we have had in my lifetime. He does inspire hope and trust.

6. Ron Shaw

President Obama's agenda is very ambitious and I Love It!! Its about time we had an ambitious president.

Jindal – sounded like he was giving an infomercial presentation. I felt no sincerity in it.

7. Angel

Tonights speech was amazing. It served a great purpose in these tough economic times. Tonight we saw Obama in a new light. As our Commander in Chief. He was assertive and blunt, which is just what this country needs right now. America is going through rough times. But if we set aside our differences, erase our party lines. We can and we will over come our problems. It just takes time, confidence, and team work.

8. Maziyar Prestwood

Bobby Jindal only wants to push his parties agenda onto the american people. I do not see any bipartisanship occuring anytime soon.

9. John R. Luongo

What an incredible speech. Open and honest. Hopeful and realistic. It is the best Presidential speech I have seen in years.

10. Josh

How many times did congress need to stand up clap and sit down? It was ridiculous, seemed more like a rally than a speech. Was anyone else annoyed by this? I’d like to know how many times they did that.

What a political showing.

11. Sybil

Governor Jindal seemed to be using a tone of voice I use when talking to my 3 year old. What's up with that?

12. Pam

Kudos to President Obama. That was the best speech he has done thus far. He is outstanding. He is real. And I am behind him 110%.

13. Neal

Sounds like the Republicans response was made to be read as a bedtime story!!! Sounds appropriate!!!

14. Zoee - Canada

@ Renee: I completely agree! There were too many standing ovations. I understand support but they didn't have to interrupt President Obama every 5 minutes.

15. Anja

Jindal is completely ridiculous. If he's the bright hope of the Rep. Party, I feel sorry for them. I felt as if I was being talked to like a moron. And am I the only one that was slightly turned on by Obama's speech?

16. Matt Glazewski

As a member of a uniformed service, I was filled with great patriotism when I heard the President speak tonight. Lofty goals some may say, but Americans aim high, and they can achieve high as well.

17. Annie

This Canadian was impressed and hopes the people of the US are inspired and heartened by Obama's speech.

February 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Daniel M (Cape Coral, FL)

After watching Gov. Jindal's response, I'd like to remind him and the GOP that bashing science like he did is pretty hypocritical. I'm pretty certain something called "weather monitoring" save thousands of lives during Katrina.

19. Jason

Jindal's strengths and weaknesses seem to be the opposite of Obama's. He is good with Q and A, but pretty stiff with pre-written speeches.

20. Paul

There is no doubt in my mind that two types of people will believe that more drilling is a solution to oil shortages1. People who are wealthy enough that it isn't a real problem. 2. people who are sucked in to believing this to be an option.

21. Carol

As an American now living in Greece, I got up at 3 AM to watch the President's speech, and I'm glad I did! . My immediate thought as he finished was "Gosh, it's good to be truly proud of my Country and my President again !

22. Jehovany

Omg! Did anyone else get annoyed by how Bobby Jindal was talking? He talked like the American people are all in pre-school. It was so annoying.

23. Adam Smith

I think that President Obama's speech did exactly what it was intended to do. It provided an uplifting and ambitious agenda that allows the American people to hope for a better future for ourselves and our posterity. As for the Republican Response, I think that Bobby Jindal's staunch partisanship and out-dated ideals of this country's political parties crushed his credibility with anyone who is not a loyal supporter of his right-wing stance.

24. Madhu

Jindal's rebuttal was pathetic.

25. Matthew

I felt like Gov Jindal was talking to me as if I was a kindergartner learning the alphabet for the first time. If these people would stop treating citizens as children, maybe more of us would grow up and take responsibility for our own situations.

26. Jimmy Legg

WOW, finally some positive charisma in one of this country's darkest hours.

There are many things happening right now with or economy, but it all needs to start with consumer confidence. If there was ever a speach to instill confidence in Amercans, this was it!

27. Karen

Bobby Jindal's speech was terrible.

28. Ken

LA Gov. says he has done so well but look at his unemployment rate compared to everyone else. Its not any different?? He's just a new face and nationality for the Republicans that they hope will give them media time. He also just repeated ALOT of what Obama stated right before him. If he doesn't want the money send it to Florida. We need it bad!

29. Maureen Byrnes, PA

Pres. Obama said that the stimulus pkg. will extend unemployment. From what i read in the pkg all that they extended was the DATE to APPLY for emergency extended, and not extending unemployment to Tier 3. Can you confirm or explain if the pkg really does extend benefits to the people currently in tier 2 and about to run out.

30. Kurt`

Pres. Obama stated tonight that the Bush tax cuts are going to be rolled back for the top 2% of wage earners. For those top 2% that own "S" Corporations, that means those companies will have a tax increase. Thus that translates into an indirect tax increase for the consumers that buy that company's products.
    Would that possibly mean that the company's employees might take a cut in pay?
    How does this stimulate the economy?

31. Kerry from Chicago

One word comes to mind- Spectacular!

32. Dan

I think the speech was amazing and very inspiring! But I did not appreciate Bobby Jindal had to come out so negative. At least though he announce that republicans MESSED up! Still not good enough, these last 8 years have made me mind my mind up. Republicans no more, democrats ALL DAY!

33. Jeanea Smith

Many will say Obama missed the detailed part of the plan, however if he give it all up, there would be no room innovation from others. We are a union and the details should come from all of us, not just Obama.

34. Bing Chuang

I think Jindal is joke. His speech doesn't feel sincere at all. He reminds me of a Maverick we saw last year.

35. Matt

Did someone tell Bobby Jindal that his audience would be a bunch of 1st graders? I fell like I'm back in grade school and I've just sat down for "Storytime." His tone is rather insulting.

36. Mark Simmons

President Obama knocked this speech out of the park. Did Bobby Jindal whatch the same speech we did?

37. Vanessa, TX

I believe the POTUS...I believe we are gonna rebuild

P.S. Vanessa, Silver Spings...this is the first time I use "POTUS"....YAY lol

38. Cyndy Neighbors

Gov. Bobby Jindal? How embarrassing!
    How shallow of the Republican party to select a member with "diversity" – but the face and delivery of a salesman.
    Absolutely pathetic. Thank you Govenor for helping me be very, very clear, that this year, I voted correctly.
    My advice to you sir, is get a new coach. Thank you President Obama, for staying so clear – when it is so very, very tough out here.

39. Terrie Kweifio

he started off pretty bad

40. Jean A Colston

Jindal response – one word boring

41. Gladys

The republicans need to do better than that. They still haven't recovered from the mess of the campaign.

42. Vanessa

Energizing speech...he continues to raise the bar for this country, something we have not had in many years.

Question: Anderson in years past, have members of Congress sought after the autograph of the President as they did tonight? I would like to see the footage after Bush's first speech to Congress.

43. Cindy

I just can not believe that Obama still does not think that there was any pork in the stimulus bill. He must be kidding himself! It was packed!!

Cindy...Ga.

44. Hector_Hec

I wonder what other bloggers from around the world think about tonights speech? Mr. Jindal give the president a chance! and guess what? I'm a registered Republican, and yes I voted for Obama

45. Sandra

Hi Anderson and Co.

I thought it was a great speech that touched on the issues President Obama considers most important, energy, health care and education. I esp. like the fact that he told parents that they have a responsiblity with regards to their children's education and that education starts in the home.
    I wish him the best and hope he's able to accomplish all that he wants to do.
    ps. Piyush Jindal's speech is rather boring..he needs some lessons in public speaking.

46. Jacqueline, NY

Ugh! Okay, enough of Jindal already. He's making me have flashback to my Physics of Music class. BORING! He made me want to pull out hair. Oh, wait! He done! Thank you. Thank you

47. Jatovi, NC

Why is it that a governor from one of the poorest states focuses on a natural disaster that they still haven't recovered from by say that tax cuts is what helped them survive. That is a blatant lie.

48. Duane B, New York

I agree with you 100% Gisselle. Amen Sister. Amen.

49. Eddy

"The republican party wants to regain your trust" says Governor Jindal. Is this a campaign speech? The country just voted no to your ideas. Can we give the democrats a chance for the next 4 years? He could make his response speech 4 years from now.

50. xtina, chicago IL

I don't want Obama's big brother government. I don't believe Congress and Washington can spend my money better than I. Are all Obama supporters really that confident in the these goofs in Congress? Do they really want to follow the leader their whole life?

February 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |