February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Roxana Reeves

Bobby Jindal and the stability in Louisiana. You have to be kidding me. The people of Louisiana are starving and suffering more than most of us here in the country. We do not appreciate the grandson of a prominent Banker in India telling us how we should take care of our country. Perhaps her should run for President in India. Not here. Not this time. Not ever.Obama is the real deal.

2. jean

lmao anyone who disagrees with president Obama gets attacked you followers need to calm down and listen to what Bobby Jindal said your so busy making fun of him that you sound like a bunch of school kids :-).

3. Rex Takushi

Gov. Jindal reminds me why I stopped supporting Republicans. Waving a flag and tooting your horn doesn't work to solve problems. Mr. Rogers in a suit.

Rex from Maui

4. Ashless in Seattle

Re Jindal comments about Volcano monitoring.

For folks in Oregon, California, Washington State, Montana and Idaho this is similar to the role of the national weather service monitoring hurricanes. Who needs it?

5. EJ (USA)

I'd love to hear Jeff Toobin's analysis of Jindal's speech.

6. Bill

Did Bobby Jindal ever think about narrating Disney movies or High School health movies? He's really got it down and the content was as meaningful and relevant in those flix as was the content in his rebut this eve..

7. Glen Up North

Um, I'm lost. Why does Jindal feel he can use the slow Federal government aid for Hurricane Katrina victims... against _Obama_? Surely he realizes the GOP was in power when Katrina hit?

8. Sabrina

Really? Were we all listening to the same speech? Obama didn't do anything but recap what he's said time and time again! No wonder he only needed one full dress rehearsal – he's already had so many during his campaign, the inauguration, and every speech he's given since he was elected! Come on – I know what he plans or wants to do, but now I want to know how!!!! How will we emerge? How will we rebuild the economy?

9. Aaron

Gov. Jindal made a statement about how the government failed to help after Katrina. Was this not during the Republican held government? Why do the Republicans continue to complain about the large government spending now when it is needed? Do they not remember how much they spent during the past 8 years when it wasn't needed? We should always invest in our country and its future especially now!

10. Doug Holt

Republicans have started the campaign for 2012 early . I hope Jindal will stop speaking to us like two year olds and remember we just listened to Obama offer the same proposaals ..from the democrats

11. Roxana Reeves

Bobby Jindal and the stability in Louisiana. You have to be kidding me. The people of Louisiana are starving and suffering more than most of us here in the country. We do not appreciate the grandson of a prominent Banker in India telling us how we should take care of our country. Perhaps her should run for Presdient in India. Not here. Not this time. Not ever.Obama is the real deal.

12. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

I love Obama for the fact that he knows how to connect with an audience in such a way that doesn't conotate a bad symbol

13. Sharon S

I don't think it is a question of wanting to send your children to private schools but the cost! I know most people would prefer private schools with all the crime and half raised kids that go to public schools but God who can afford that?

14. kim

I am not a Democrate. I'm just a citizen.
    Why do these people ( the republicans) think that health care should not be reform. We have health insurance and we are still paying for my husband kidney stone attack that put him in the ER. They didn't even do anything. Gave him pain killers and sent him home.
    The Republicans don't want to reform educations. I have to wonder why. Is it because, when people are not educated they will not be able to fight back when they are being robbed by the people who they voted in to office.

15. Catherine Flordia

The President was great tonihgt. God Bless Us.

February 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Linda ( Kansas City, Mo.)

My husband and I listened intently to a wonderful speech given by President Obama. He was full of truth and hope in one speech. We have a suggestion for the media....you all are great too...but give your viewers some relief too. Every night we hear only negative rhetoric, sprinkle some hope on our lives too.

17. annie smithers

Why are you airing this speech from the gov. of Louisiana?
    I find it abhorrent that this man is using the atrocity of hurricane katrina to argue against the ideas of the current administration.

18. kyle schaefer

Also this guy was there durring hurricane katrina teling the sheriff to go help the people on the roofs of homes that were flooded...it took fema 10 days to get water and help to the peopleof L.A.

19. Bridget, TX

The GOP party is suffering, so why did they chose an obvious amateur come behind the President? I mean honestly, why not ask K. Hutchinson, J. McCain or any other gop with experience to showcase the GOP?

Oh well, the president was fantastic and I'm still feeling good from his speech.

20. Ken in NC

I was impressed with President Obama's speech tonight and I think he made a situation for Republicans that based on their reactions will cause them to be pushed out of politics or will give them a place at the table. I think all of America has seen that he wants all Americans to come together to work to pull ourselves out of this mess and if he is met at every turn with resistance all of America will rebel against the group that is resisting his efforts.

21. Samaria - Maryland

I think what's turning me off of Gov. Jindal is that it is so obvious that his speech – and IMO, him as well by association – isn't sincere at all. It's so practiced! He reminds me of how storytellers read books to little kids – really annoying like. =\

22. Rodney from Raleigh

Thank goodness he is finally done. Whew! I have no clue how substantive his words were. I just could not get past his horrible speaking tone.

23. Clarence, Albuquerque

As a person of color I must say there can be infuential individuals on both sides of the isle.

24. Dulcie - Denver

I'm tired of Republicans insisting that the Stimulus bill was full of pork. Most of that stuff CAN create or save jobs. It's not merely pork if it works. Heck, many economists are afraid the bill isn't big enough!

25. JoAnn

For Brandi–President Obama is the eighth left-handed president. It made my daughter very happy; she's a lefty too!

I am currently listening to the Gov. talk...took him long enough to get to the point! Given the past 8 years and the mess we are in, it is time to let some other policy take over. I voted for Mr. Obama because my family just can't afford four more years of Republican, free market economic policies.

Free market only works in theory because economics can not accurately take human nature into account with its formulas! That is just a plain and simple fact. Greed trumps free market every time! There can be no such thing as a true free market because of it! The government has to maintain a watch dog position in order to keep recessions like this one from happening. Too much temptations for $$ makers.

26. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Jindal sounded like he was repeating a lot of what POTUS just said. He makes me YAWN!

27. J. J. G.

Anderson:

David said it well, first part of the President's speech was New Deal and second, New Society. It's a lot to accomplish, but we can do no less. We owe it to all the little girl from SC and all children sitting in the classrooms of this country.

28. Alex (Aliso Viejo)

Governor Jindal gave a speech which is in essence the same as President Obama's. The goals as stated are the same as our President only he recreated it as a Republican view. It left an impression and puzzlement why Republicans opposes his plan at all. However, I think he would have made a powerful speech if he started with "I read the bill and...". At the same time, he failed to focus on how to resolve our current economic crisis. And no, tax cuts is not the be all and end all of our recovery. The apparent disconnect to people losing homes, losing jobs and losing money remains apparent for the Republican party.

29. Eric, Canada

Since when does the opposing party give their comments on the other's speech.
    Bobby Jindal sounds like he is talking to two year olds...oh that's right, that's about the average intellect of Republicans.
    Republicans have consistantly screwed up the budgets. If you keep on giving tax cuts, then how do you pay down the debt.
    Republicans screw everything up. If Bobby Jindal is the new face of the GOP and he gets elected, then I will sit back and have a beer while I watch the downfall of the U.S.

Cheers,

30. Viv

It seems that somebody started his presidential campaign early.
    This is the main reason I hate politicians. Is a group of liars with same philosophy.
    Its time for the Republicans to realize that there are poor and rich in this country and they should all get same treatment.'
    What Jindal talked about has been spoken by many before him and as we all know it hasn't work. Republicans needs to wake up and face the real America.

31. Brandon

As I sit here and listen to Jindal, he loses credibility everytime he says "after Hurricane Katrina." Is he so blinded by the teleprompter and the Republican parties to realize that the government sent him the money to turn everything around, that he is touting he was able to do in Louisiana...

If this is the best the Repulican have for a rebuttal, they will probably lose the next election.

Brandon from Texas

32. Andre - from maryland

The best way to show the American people that there is no such thing as bi-partisanship in our government is to have a rebuttle by any party after the President speaks. It is simply irresponsible to say we need to work together, then to party-bash 5 minutes later. Especially behind an agenda of running for the Presidency of 2012 as Jindal is doing.

33. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@esma,

im not sure, he wasnt like that a couple months ago when i got to meet him. given the freedom to speak as he wants shows a lot more of his charisma. he is very charming in person.

34. Dee Pisciella, Virginia

The President is sure a breath of fresh air as a speaker. He was excellent in describing his master plan for the country. I think he needed to tell Congress to (1) pass a porkless budget so we can cut the deficit and (2) look at their own spending and cut it drastically. For (2), no travel unless mission critical, and wives/family pay their own way. They ought to demonstrate a recession style of governing, as we all face rough times. Finally, I would like a moratorium on the words: "democrat" "republican", "conservative" and "liberal", "tax and spend" and other such useless labels, so we can face this crisis together. Name calling is really immature and deflects from progress in moving us forward. God Bless America. I'm scared.

35. Kent

Bobby Jindal you need to go the people in your state that are sleeping under bridges years after Katrina. And stop reading from the damn script and speak from your heart! You picked this non-creability having clown to speak!

36. KC

Bobby Jindal's response to president's speech seems to be a Election campaign speech rather than a response to President's speech.

37. Duane B, New York

Where is your proof Carly? Where? As usual you are making statements with no support. Just like the majority of the Republicans. Carly don't believe the hype - The Republican hype.

Is Bobby Jindal kidding. How did he and the rest of the Republicans not read the stimulus. What the heck are they doing up there all this time if they are not reading the package. What did the American people put you in office for if you can't read 1000 pages over a two month period.

I have friends who are lawyers of big firms who constantly read through thousands upon thousands of documents in a week. If they can do it, how come the Republicans can't during a crisis like we are in right now. Enough of the BS already.

38. Chad

What pride to have a President who can speak eloquently about substance – long overdue. Jindal was dealing with a Republican President and Congress for Katrina. His state is still a HOT MESS and shows that he and the Republican Party cannot accept responsibility or accountability. I would never give that Party my trust !

39. Zafar Nasir

Where was Gov Bobby during the last 8 years ?

40. MtHollyMom

I wonder who wrote Gov. Jindal's rebuttal?? It's time to get over it and move on.

41. A real citizen of Louisiana

Gov. Jindal, how can you or the Republican Party regain the trust of Americans when you guys are full of greed and corruption or did you forget, Gov. Jindal?

42. John O

It's nice to have an intelligent and articulate President! Just Awesome!

43. Mikey Kim

I haven't had the chance to see President Obama speak tonight however I am seeing Bobby Jindal on television now and it seems to me Rep. Bobby Jindal is on a mission to further his career as a political figure. He sounds ridiculous on television, it sounds like a campaign advertisement. Furthermore, I think the American people know we dont need this kind of politics especially in a time of urgency.

44. Linda Hamilton

President Obama speach was great tonight and he is a true Statesman.Bobby Jindal was and is one of the most fake and phony speakers that I have ever listened to.If they are grooming him to run against President Obama in 2012 they are in BIG trouble again.

45. Tom Mitchell

Anderson, It seemed that Jindals response was pre-empted by a Mr. Rogers re-run. He seems to be addressing a third grade class not the American people. I tried to get my 16 year old son to watch but he couldn't stand the condesending tone.

February 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Jennifer

Gov Jindals tone of voice makes it difficult to even hear his words and impossible to feel inspired by them.

There's NO comparison.

February 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Reverend Bre

I would not want to be a resident in the state of Louisiana. Again, it is a reminder of how detached those in political offices are from America and that the "throwing rocks" game still exist. Once a child always a child.

February 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Jacquie Zegan

blah, blah, blah from Jindal....Do the Republicans continue to think that all Americans are that shallow and stupid? What is he talking about? I enjoyed President Obama's energy and fresh enthusiasm. We will all get the job done with his excellent leadership.

February 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Jindal is truly awful. I thought he was so brilliant (at least that's the way he struck me before). Gosh, I am so surprised. If this is the best of the Republican Party then we will have a Democractic President for at least the next 12 years!

I'm not even listening to what he is saying he is so bad.

February 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Julie

I don't think the president told us anything that we did not already know...just another campaign speech. Details are what the American people want and need. HOW, will I benefit from this package? I won't. I will continue to support those who cannot afford healthcare, homes, food etc. My taxes will go up, while others are getting bailed out. How, please explain, will I be helped as a citizen who played by the rules and worked my way up to the point I am at today? I do know, socialism is not the answer.

February 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm |