February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. sue, montreal

You mean Bobby after all this time you still haven't read the...law.

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Mechelle SE OK

Jindal has some good points, but bless his heart, he needs to work on his "stage" presence. I do agree with him about the pork that was in this last bill. Do we really need a rail system from Disney to Vegas or an updated volcano monitoring system?

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Tom from PHilly

Bobby sounds like hes reading a bedtime strory to a 7 year old. Classic example of talking down to the public

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Stacy

I wonder how many people turned off the TV after Obama's speech was over.

February 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  5. KevinC

So I suppose Gov Jindal won't be taking any stimulus money for LA then? Also, why is he talking to us like we're in kindergarten?

February 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. xtina, chicago IL

Why wouldn't someone want to send their children to a private school, as Gov.Jindal suggests? Please listen to his text, without judgment

February 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Bea

Who staged this speech? He sounds local and small town. Frankly, he's talented but I keep feeling that if Obama were not black, Republicans would never have given Jindal this chance no matter how talented he is; or Michael Steele. Jindal had better be careful defending what's going on in Louisiana.

February 24, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Greg Silva

Thank You Barack Obama! Intellect! Foresight! An American for America! Forgive the narrow sighted for they know not how to analyze, it has been eight years! God Speed!

9. Gil Anderson

Hi Anderson and Wolf!

President Obama's speech and delivery tonight in my opinion was revolutionary. He covered all aspects of our Nation's concerns; Economy, Energy, Health Care, Education and Defense in a manner in which Democrats nor Republicans can dare gainsay.

Great job Mr. President!

Gil Anderson, Connecticut

10. Stephanie

Jindal is terrible. Why is he repeating Obama's ideas?

11. Jeff Rider

Jindal address to America ... I'm not impressed and like everthing from the GOP, Jindal is a Joke, the GOP is grasping at anything to make us forget what Nut Crazy Crap they've done and will continue to do.

12. Chris Morris

Gov. Bobby Jindal is one of the worst liars and public speakers I have ever seen.

13. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Welcome Anderson! A lot to cover is right .
    I have to wonder how you can find the time to blog during all this
    have some red bull and gummy bears to keep awake !

14. Jill

The GOP doesn't seem to understand that Americans are not in the mood for naysaying. Jindal's speech is negativism instead of hope. We voted for Obama because he looks for ways to inspire us toward "Yes".

15. Isabel, Brazil

President Obama was take the center stage, to try to sell their broad agenda to people and to remove the US of deep recession and economic challenges facing the long term.

16. biba

@ Rodney Obaigbena...i agree with you he is reading in a very akward way...and also i think it's too easy to just criticize! bring better ideas...and i will listen.

17. Miranda

Im not sure... Gov Jindal has the right even if he is from Louisiana to use the governments poor response to hurricane Katrina as a political platformed response to President Obama's State of The Union Speech...it just seems wrong especially for those who died in the streets and were not picked up for days...just wrong.

Miranda

18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson!!!!
    Nice to see you on Tv with Wolf Blitzer tonight!!!!! 🙂

19. Brandi - bottom of the boot

this is not the same jindal i met and listened to. put a mic in his hand and let him go on his gut. its obvious he is uncomfortable.

he likes to move around also.

20. Josh Rubinfeld

the President said that the automobile was invented in America .Not so .Who helps the President prepare his speech? shouldn't that person know his facts?

21. Jason Vinson

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If nothing else atleast President Obama sounds like he is going to make congress work for their money! Sounds like theyre going to have to be like the everyday American that I have ever met

22. Jacqueline, NY

@ Rose NY, We (collectively) are the fairy godmothers WE are looking for. Getting America back on it's feet is a job for all of us. What are your ideas?

23. Sharon S

Ok I don't quite get the how this thing is going to create all these jobs? Permanent jobs? or just a few jobs here and there?
    What about the school situation?

I know where I live we have no money for schools or anything in our budget?

How is this going to help that? And the car loan thing really is pathetic! I'm not buying a new car until things settle down period!

24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I am very surprised to see you commenting tonight.

25. mave

After the last 8 years not sure any legislator (republican or democrat) should have the gall to stand up there and criticize spending. IMO there is a big difference in spending to help struggling Americans and spending on an unnecessary war and people who didn't need the help.

26. Gladys

LOL you can tell Jindal is reading like a kid just learning to read.

27. Gisselle - Houston, TX

Good Lord! What is Bobby Jindall talking about???? Ugh...

28. Dale Drum

The economy has got to get better. I didn't have to mute or change the channel during a Presidential address. That is progress 🙂

29. Lilibeth

Sorry, Bobby Jindal, but for someone who lives near a volcano, I DO care about volcano monitoring...

30. Brent

Are you kidding me with this guy? All I'm hearing is a 20th century rhetorical response to a 21st century speech from Obama. Republican's ideology is stuck in the past and its sad to watch.

31. Kelly

I"ve just watched President Obama's historic speech. Finally! We have a leader , a real leader of this great country, who has the intelligence and will, confidence and strength to help us to rise to the heights most of us want to see this country reach. I have never been so proud to be an American. I"m inspired to do my part, and I believe with Obama at the helm, we CAN achieve all the things he spoke about tonight.

32. Dulcie - Denver

I don't know, I kind of want them to monitor volcanoes. We've got a biggie up in Yellowstone that could blow Denver off the map.

33. kim

Great speech.
    Bobby Jindal sounds like he's reading a night time book. He's sound so fake. He needs to stop thinking about himself and start thinking about the people of this country.

34. EJ (USA)

Hi Anderson. I can't wait to hear the analysis of Jindal's speech.

35. Robert Jakarta

Ok. Have heard Bobby Jindal. Sounds phoney, does not offer solutions, complains that we need bi-partisanship then goes on to slam Democrats, robotic. A very shallow attempt by the GOP to look "hip" or mimic the President but, alas, he's no Obama.

Sorry dudes.

36. xtina, chicago IL

Isn't it intolerant of people to attack Bobby Jindal personally ? maybe we could listen to the content of his speech, now how he says it.

37. jean

THANK YOU Bobby Jindal for telling it as it really is since the media is so in love with Obama to press him on the issues that effect main street!

38. Jan White Lake, MI

We know he can talk up a storm and sounds very credible, but where is the meat and actual results? I am sorry but he sounds more like someone running for office than the President. Let's quit the twice or thrie weekly "on air" preachings and get down to actually running a government.

39. Cindy

Jindal needs to be more himself. He sounds too much like he is acting.

BTW..love your tie Coop!

Cindy...Ga.

40. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

He sounds so chipper......he shouldn't sound like this when he's talking about taxes! I'm getting more and more worried about people's sanity....

41. Tim Glose

I am so tired of our government, both republican and democrat alike, pandering to the masses. Nearly everyone seems to feel that the period from the end of WWII to the late 1960's represents the best period for the middle class in our history. This is a period of time that witnessed some of the highest marginal tax rates in history (90%+ in top bracket). How can we pay for what needs to be done without taxation? A good, accessable, discussion of this can be found in Kevin Phillips "Wealth and Democracy: A Political History of the American Rich (2002)".

42. Bridget, TX

Gov Jindal sounds like he's giving an informercial. Well at least he's not being negative, this is a good thing.

43. Duane B, New York

Bobby Jindal's response is weak and patronizing. It would have been better if he went off script and spoke from his heart. That's the difference between President Obama and everyone else. He speaks or at least seems to speak from the heart with honest passion for the American people. All I hear from Bobby Jindal is more negative criticism and no solutions.

44. paula

I couldn't stomach another teleprompter performance and loads of promises that are only going to cost the American people billions of dollars, with no real positive outcome. My proposal would be to send Congress and the administration to a refresher course in economics. Let the market do what it was set up to do.....correct itself. As for healthcare, I have family that lives in country with socialized medicine and trust me, you don't want it. 900,000 people are on waiting lists for procedures. The economy is in a bad state right now, but part of that is due to all the doom and gloom talk coming from Obama and the media. Even Bill Clinton asked him to stop. How many more years of this?

45. Rikki, Fargo, ND

This is painful to listen to...

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Glen Up North

I echo fellow Canadian James' comment 100%. We should be so lucky to have a leader like Obama up here! I believe I'd do my best to follow...

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Sue – How can you mention him and the great Mr. Rogers in the same sentence. Rogers is probably turning in his grave. 😀

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  48. carolyn cee yah

hi everyone, who is gov jindal talking to his children. rebuttal he is gonna get ran out town.

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  49. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

...and the wolf said, "I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down!!!"

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Vickie

Uh...... what is Jindal talking about?

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |