February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Isabel, Brazil

Hello, Anderson!
    How many news today

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Renee

Did anyone else think Nancy was trying to get her aerobics class in tonight? A little too up and down for me.

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Yen Li, Malaysia

I just want to let all the AC360 American bloggers know that we have been hearing a lot of positive and very hopeful feedbacks about your new president in this part of the world.... everyone believes President Obama can fix the economy crisis (not only for US but the rest of the world as this whole crisis is a chain effect kind of thing). People also believe he is able to improve US relation with the Muslim world. YES, we are seeing a world class leader here!

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  4. everett

I think the president did a great job. What ever is necessary we must do.
    The American people really need to feel that if our government can rescue the world with our tax dollars, why can't we rescue ourselves.

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Pati Mc

@ Casey J – I just said the same thing. He must have been a teacher in a past life. He sounds like he is talking to children. It is annoying me and I like the guy.

February 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Chrisitna Barlow Spokane, WA

I agree with you Esma. He does sound like a Disney movie narrator! Very strange . .

7. Lauren--NY

I agree Jindal sounds stilted...frankly, I don't think anyone's mind is going to be changed tonight. Obama's supporters will stay supporters, and those who disagree are going to continue to disagree. I did think he was characteristically well spoken, though.

8. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Very difficult to listen tp Mr. Jindal! The Strength of America is not found in our government...then why not quit!

9. Sherry, N. Calif.

Pres. Obama showed his ambition to help the people in America who need it most the (poor & mid-class). He is moving us out of stinky oil into the future where we belong!. Republicans do not like this becasue they have gotten pretty "FAT' these last 8 years and do not want to see the tax cuts expire in 2010. They should be thankful they get to stay fat for one more year. Republicans are spun, or should I say still spinning? Government stands for "WE" the PEOPLE so look out, the people are in charge and that is why Barack ROCKS ON!

10. Sally in Georgia

Why does Bobby Jindal sound like he is the narrator for a children's show?

11. Clarence, Albuquerque

Great presentation by Gov Bobby Jindal... at least he got the personality .... I felt like I was watching a very good TV evangelist. kuddos.

12. Kent, Illinois

Republicans don't care about us. Pure rhetoric Jindahl.

13. carly

This was a disappointing speech. All the same old stuff. How can a president stand there and lie to the Americans that voted for him. He said no pork in the last bill? DID I hear that right? Are you kidding me? and did he say no pork in the next bill? We are seeing pork already! The sad part is the drooling Democrats will be suckered in once again. How sad is it that a president will stand there and lie to Americans thinking we are all so stupid. Today was a sad day in history to me.

14. Sharon S

Welcome Mr. Cooper!

15. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, Megan, Chris S. EJ, everyone. I got on facebook but it slows my laptop way down.

I thought President Obama kind of opened things up. Going to the future in energy technology(wanting to lead, laying new cable to transmit energy), opening up access to higher education by 2020 (having highest proportion of college grads), addressing healthcare reform ( impacts on medicare and on jobs going overseas or staying here)

A lot in this speech to back up families, people working and looking for work,

16. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Gov. Jidal: "A democrat, and a good friend of mine!" Not a bit obvious. Haha.

Hey, Anderson. Wasn't sure if you'd be joining tonight with the hectic nature of tonight's program.

17. vanessa from silver spring, MD

He sounds like an infomercial.

18. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

PLEASE, make it stop! This is totally scripted, He needs an acting teacher, and please get that man away from his enthusiasm in his voice. I've heard of speaking to gain attention, but not like this....

19. Dalas Klein

Obama just makes you feel good and confident went he speaks. He can walk, chew gum, talk, rub his head, and pat his summy, all at the same time. Unlike the do nothing Republican G. W. Bush and his cabinet. It is so freshing to see someone in charge and I have no dought he will get the things do that he say's he will. Go cry in you beer Republicans.

20. Esma

@ Brandi-I remember Jindal as being a totally different guy when I lived in NOLA, what happened?!

21. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson and Fellow Bloggers -

Thought President Obama's speech was inspiring. I like his agenda.
    Listening to Bobby Jindal now - is this the best the Republican's have to offer?

22. Daryl from Illimois

I know that the news persons have to look a and remark about the presidents speeches "there wasn't any substance"
    But at this time we need all positive thinking and remarks as possible to motivate the American people not fuel any negative fires.
    The American people are hurting and wreaked save the destructive remarks for later when there is signs of recovery.

23. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Very difficult to listen tp Mr. Jindal! ...then why not quit!

24. Vanessa, TX

hey anderson...I think gov is gearing for Decision 2012 I don' like his "phony" enthusiasm

25. sue, montreal

Thinking Jindel sounds like Mr. Rogers?

Won't you be my neighbor.

26. Dorie

How fabulous was President Obama's speech. Why not be optomistic and reach for the stars? As an educator I know that there is no where better to aim. We can do it, we have done it. All it takes is a little hard work, a little team work. Teams need leaders and it's about time we have one we can all respect and follow.

27. Jenn

"Let me tell you a story..." does Bobby record audiobooks on the side? If not he should!

28. jean

This is crazy! people are asking Obama for his john handcock,lmao. He is a president not a pop star and he really didn't have nothing new to say but the same old bull. You followers act like this is something great,lmao. I want President Obama to state what jobs exactly will be made in the "private" sector all I read was construction in the local,state and federal sector. I would really love him telling exactly what the government intentions towards our banks! Please reporters lets quit using tax dollars to have lunches and dinners with the president and do your job......... I know that would mean asking meaningful questions and not just B.S.

29. Rodney Obaigbena

Why does Gov. Jindal sound like he's reading to a kindergarten class?
    I like him, but come on....

30. James

First off let we say most of us here in Canada can only dream of what it would be like to have a leader like Barrack Obama.

I watched his speech tonight and then listened to some of the comments from the people on your show. The reason I post this comment is that I'm not sure your guests understand. Americans shouldn't see what the President can accomplish, they should get involved and see what Americans can accomplish. If he fails with what he says can be done, you as Americans lose. If our Prime Minister gave a speech like that I would stand behind him 100% and failure for him or my country would not be an option. You shouldn't be talking about whether or not he is too ambitous you should be talking about what Americans can do to GET IT DONE! Too Ambitous is that the new American dream? I'm beside myself. Let me know if Barrack needs a ride to Canada, we will welcome his ambition with open arms!

31. Stacy

Is Jindal channeling Kenneth from 30 Rock?

32. Brandi - bottom of the boot

hello anderson! no mardi gras for you this year???

33. Pati Mc

Hey Anderson. No kidding. Even I have notes!

34. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Jindal sounds so rehearsed. Hard to listen to this dude.

35. Shirley

President Obama delivered a poignant speech. He covered all the areas that needed to be covered. Who knows whether all he wants to work will work. Just give him a chance though. We can't do any worse than we've done in the last 8 years. Just give him a chance, that's all.

36. Kent, Illinois

I don't care about your personal life Jindal. Youv'e already started to run for President.

37. Cindy

Cooper...I enjoyed watching the speech on FaceBook. I'm thinking that you need to do your cam and live blog on one page like that so it would be SO much easier for us to do both.

Cindy..Ga.

38. Charles in North Carolina

Thank you President Obama! You have put the hopes and dreams back in Americans. We are all behind you...and yes, I am back in school about to receive a Masters Degree and have decided to pursuit my PhD. Thank you for putting the hopes and dreams back in all Americans!

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Duane B, New York

Mr. Rollins is living is the past. He, Bobby Jindal and their fellow conservatives need to stop putting up roadblocks and phony rhetoric and provide new ideas and new solutions not the same plans and schemes that got all of us into this mess.

Come on now, it is obvious Bobby Jindal is positioning himself for the future not actually seeking consensus for the country. Enough of the rhetoric Mr. Jindal we need solutions.

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Jacqueline, NY

Bobby Jindal campaigning already.

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Dulcie - Denver

I think Rep. Jindal has a compelling story, but he sounds like he's reading to third-graders.

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Gov. Jindal is talking way too fast!

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Debbie Bowen

I love our President. He is so positive and energetic. When he speaks, I feel I can do anything. Tomorrow I will go out and spend some money. I truly believe in Multi-tasking. I'm a single mother and I know this first hand. I totally believe President Obama can multi-task and get enormous things accomplished. Washington moves way toooo slow. We're lucky we have an energetic caring man that has an abilty to walk and chew gum with such grace and conviction.

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Amy

Wow, Bobby Jindal walking up to the camera freaked me out. And what is this, an infomercial? It sounds waaaay too scripted.

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Esma

OK, Bobby sounds like a Disney movie narrator. I'm disturbed. What's going on?

February 24, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  46. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Why does it sound as if Bobby Jindal is talking to me like I'M FIVE YEARS OLD??? Oh my God, his tone is absolutely infuriating. It just sounds condescending...

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  47. andersoncnn

welcome everyone... a lot to cover tonite...

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Isabel, Brazil

If after a month of its possession President Obama has the approval of 68% of Americans, after his speech I think that number grow!

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Bea

I don't like the Jindal standing up thing. This personal story has nothing to do with the financial crisis.

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

We are not quitters!!!! I agree with Pres. Obama!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |