February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with Roland's comment!

February 24, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  2. Earlean

President Obama is still sending the same message; he hasn't changed but, now he has the power to manifest! Huge difference. Jindal was pitiful.

February 24, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  3. Billy

Obama is not helping my family. He's acting like its not even an issue. I think Obama should do something about helping my children. He'd rather help grown ass bums than my children that needs the President's help. How fair is that?

4. Sabrina

YES! Mr. Moore you hit it on the head! Great...."child abuse," think about that parents! You're borrowing drastically from your children and grandchildren to fix the problems you have created!

Oh, let's hear it Mr. Stiglitz....what are your ideas? Someone needs to give the President sound economic advise!

5. Kevin Nembhard

I believe the president speech really touches the heart and soul of americans and put hope at the kitchen table. At the start of this year I was very doubtful of the future of this economy. His effort and determination to change the situation is a true inspiration to hard working Americans who were at the point of throwing in the towel.

Thanks to his speech I am far more confident in a speedy recovery of our enonomy. I now really feeling more engaged.

6. Dwight from Idaho

Most moving speech I have heard since listening to Bobby Kennedy speak at my alma mater, Oregon State University ..back in the day! I have voted Republican most of the time but my whole family went with Obama, and we are proud of it!

7. Diallo

Hey the best political tem on TV I realy enjoy the line where he mention about the education; I believe it will make the country great cause once you have the knowdlege you will creat a way out

8. Ak

This speech makes it seem like Bush never did a single thing in office. WOW loaded speech.

9. Anthony

Anderson - you let that expert call government spending "child abuse" say what????? Exactly how does he want to fix the problem without this "child abuse".

10. Sharon S

I do think we need more programs to help with our energy, better energy cleaner energy but there are a lot of programs that are just pork!

11. jodie

Douglas E. Gardner very well said... I'm 43 and a veteran and I couldn't agree more.

12. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Our President's speech was simply terrific. He spoke directly and I believe honestly. If only the Republicans would cooperate and offer to help, then we will be able to solve this situation.

13. Cyd M

Regarding the GOP response. The Republicans are consistent with Corporate America, they "outsourced" to India.

14. Carole in Wisconsin

a version of fiscal child abuse? wow...where was the wall street journal guy over the last 8 years as money was flying OUT of this country instead of being reinvested IN this country?

15. Willie

Unity, Visionary...we must all come together and share in the vision of President Obama. Never in my lifetime have I ever seen the economy in shape like it is now. He is one of us that is leading us. Please don't sell him short. A New Beginning!!!

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  16. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

"Losers who waited..."

Think you're becoming even more direct than I am, Anderson. 😉

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  17. Bea

Part of the regulation that is needed is a requirement regarding the information that banks get from homeowners before giving them a loan. That people could say "the bank told me I could afford it" really creeps me out. How could anyone not look at their own budget? Maybe some stimulus should be spent training people about money!

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  18. Troy Marsh

I like the idea of helping those struggling in the housing market, but what does he mean by repsonsible home owners? If you are close to foreclosure, does that mean you were irresponsible?

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  19. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Madonna of the Dems? I like to think of someone a little more, cooler. Anderson, you might be a fan of this web show, The Line. It's about losers waiting in line for a movie.... 🙂

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  20. julliet

Good evening everyone. I thought the president's speech was awesome. As for the GOP rebuttal, Does Bobby Jindal really knows how he sounds? Maybe he's had too much mardi gras party today. Happy mardi gras everyone

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  21. Marco

After listening to Jindal's awkward attempt at following Obama's speech, I believe that the GOP's only hope to counter Obama would be to support Mitt Romney. If they go with Jindal, this Democrat would be graciously thankful to the GOP!

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  22. EJ (USA)

Good for correcting him Anderson. I knew Anderson didn't call the President the "Madonna" of the Democratic Party. lol

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  23. Robert Wiener from Paris

AC...Agree it's a waste of time and tax payer dollars for members of Congress to spend hours waiting for a good seat to exploit President Obama's "meet and greet." And I certainly wouldn't spend 8 hours waiting fo Madonna tickets, But years ago, I did stand for 5 hours to hear poet Robert Frosr read his work in New York. This must confirm I'm a dinosaur.

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  24. Sandy

After so many years today I feel I have a PRESIDENT !! I I have a great confidence President Obama will lead this country to recovery! excellent speech !

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  25. Joe

What a speech by the President. If he can accomplish only half of what he talked about he will be more successful than any president in the past 40 years. I wish him the best, as well as this nation. We need him to succeed as the alternative would not be pretty at all.

February 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  26. jonni wood

I was energized by President Obam's speech and am now ready to push past my fear to transform this crisis into opportunity for the future.

He's made me a believer! We can do this!

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  27. Carlos

President Obama's speech was a unique, first presidential address. He knows he how to get everyone involved and he has proven to be a great leader, so far. Analizing his speech, he has the plan to get the economy on its feet and get the U.S. moving forward for 8 years to come.

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  28. Ann

I live in California and I here that the President's Mortgage plan will not help nearly 90 percent of us because we have mortgages over 417,0000. It will only help those with mortgages up to 417,000. What do we do? Most of us owe more than that on our mortgages, but our homes are not worth that. Can we get a loan or a motification? What do we do?

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  29. Randy Garcia

If Bobby Jindal is the future of the new Republican Party for the future they will never get it right, Republican will always be out of touch with real Americans.

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  30. R.Young

From the outside looking in, Republicans are giving themselves a bad name by no showing some kind of effort to work with the new administration. Thats why they lost the election and will again if they keep this up.

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  31. Nick

"To ellivate the burdon on our children, we are going to roll back the tax cuts on the wealthest 2%". To ellivate the tax burdon on our children, don't pass a massive Trillion dollar bail out.

The absolute worst thing Bush did was double the national dept. Obama was right we can't afford 8 more years like the last 8. Unfortunately, his actions don't back up his selling point.

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  32. Peter (from Canada)

Although my wife & I are not U.S. citizens (Canadians), the President's address this evening inspired both of us. It has given us a bit more hope that the North American economy will turnaround sooner than expected.

Glad to see that America's 43rd is on the ball...

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  33. Anthony

Did anyone realize that for the first time in over 50 years our president has asked us to do something? He asked every citizen to commit to a year of higher education. He has for the first time (in my life) given our country a viable and direct direction to go in as a country. That to me is true leadership.

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  34. Angie Veach - Deer Creek, Indiana

We loose so much energy from 40 year old windows in our home. Is there any part of this recovery package that will help us do our part to weatherize our home? Where can we find those details? When will they be released?

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  35. Tim in Muncie, IN

Obama's promise to not raise taxes on anyone making less than $250,000 was a "Read my lips, no new taxes" moment. This phrase will catch up with him in 2012.

February 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  36. john

the tenor and meter of the republican rebuttal reminded me of an adult reading a fairy tale to a child. the governor's mentioning katrina as an example also seemed like a fairy tale-do they really believe this?

37. Mike, Syracuse NY

I am continually amazed that people conuse Obama's speaking skills with true leadership. It's his actions that count.

38. Alfred Thornton - Cazadero, CA

Good Evening - If Gov. Jindal wants to make a showing then he should take the governments money, and bring the people that was displaced by the storm home.
    If I hear the Republicans right they would be very comfortable if the US had the slumsthat were in Slumdog.

39. Michael

Hi Anderson!
    My question is; Why is the democratic party spending all this money to bail-out the American economy without prommissing the american people that they will be protecting it's citizens from coroprate preditory lending practices.

40. andrew

Great speech. Cuts through Republican partisanship. Ambitious proposals, if he accomplishes half, it will be a great Administration. Fantastic challenge to parents. I wish he would ask volunteerism of all Americans, we would meet the call.
    Andrew

41. Joyce

I'm hopeful and I will be responsible for the parts of this economy that I can; I am glad not to have heard details. We will all work it out,,,,,when did the Republicans ever give any details????? about anything???

42. Beatrice

President Obama hit a three pointer tonight. I feel that this President will go down in history as one of the best Presidents America has ever had. I feel better about the economy just because he said it will get better. By the way, why didn't Bobby Jindal watch the speech before he spoke ?

43. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I know that bi-partisanship is difficult and doesn't happen very often but I really think that it would be in the best interest of the Republicans and the Democrats and all of America really to work together to start fixing this mess...we get more accomplished when we work together.

44. Eric walker, Miami fl

Republicians had to outsource there rebuttal because they have done nothing for eight years. No energy,health,education plan. Can someone ask the repubicans what did they do for six years?

45. Anjali Santa Clara, Ca

The president was precise, forward looking and willing to be accountable. Very reassuring, made me hopeful that we can get past this recession.

46. Levi

The GOP choice to use Governor Bobby Jindal was smart but not brilliant. He does not have enough charisma and originality to follow up President Obama. Majority of his speech was repetitive and not believable after 8 years of poor decisions.

47. Bob Long

Obama is right. This is the perfect opportunity to adjust our thinking and create an innovative economy. We used to do this regularly, but the people vested in running our corporations, especially in energy, have blocked our innovation for too long. It's time.

48. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Pres. Obama's speech was very hopeful and optimistic. But then again, I think most of us expected it to be that way. I was disappointed in Gov. Jindal's rebuttal speech. His delivery was terrible.

49. Jeff Schanbacher

I live in California. Any money Obama is giving back to me is going right back out to the state in increased taxes. No one in California is better off from this stimulus package.

50. Terry Washington State

Awesome speech by Mr. Obama. The inspiration was just what people were seeing in a bad time. He delivered.

Bobby Jingle. Can you rain any more on the Republican parade. Going back 40-60 years to provide inspiration and then to try and inspire us by the Iraq War. NOT.

KEEP DAVID GERGIN (sp) The man is so totally fair and balanced. THE BEST ON TELEVISION!!