February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

The Gop is all about buisness and how the richh get richer .They are not for the people.

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Mike B

Are you serious Jindal? From a lifetime Republican I have never been so disappointed in the Republican party since "W" started down the path to the toilet.

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, jindal sounds so scripted and does much better without a written speech. he sounds like he is reading a book to kids.

his charisma is not coming through. and he has so much of it.

i hope it gets better.

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Rhonda

How can this be a nation that returns to “in God we trust” when we can not trust our government…sneaking in so many political paybacks into the Spending (oh, sorry, Stimulus) bill that they should be ashamed.

I bet Obama’s team sits around at night with their feet up on the desks we taxpayers have purchased for all the new government positions Obama created and laugh their heads off that some people are actually believing this stuff.

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Glen Up North

No AC360 webcasts tonight?

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Wow. Gov. Jindal's been coached. I can almost feel the pain in his smile.

February 24, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

Why does the GOP reaction have to sound so....rehearsed? It makes it so much more.....dreadful. The enthusiasm? Uh, no.

8. Vanessa, TX

why is Gov Jidal is doing rebuttal? He kinda sounds like he's "acting" the speech

9. Rich

President Obama did a good job this evening telling the American people the "high times are over".......and it's not about saving "banks" but saving people!!..............He spread it too far though.....just as the stimulus bill was drafted with too much.......the Federal govt. is too "big" and the stimulus will just create more govt. bureacracy at the "state" level. Let's get out of Iraq, and dismantle the FHWA that was created to create the interstate highway system that is now complete. Use that reform to create a new Federal Transportation Agency that will use the money for high-speed rail line......more money into highways only reinforces our dependence on foreign oil.

10. Katrina Abella

I wonder how 50 cent feels about being compared to republicans. Maybe Michael Steel can get 50 cent to be a surrogate and recruit those hip hop republicans.

11. Sharon S

I agree with the comment on cutting back employees at the white house level as well! Don't you think they have just a few too many getting paid way too much?

I still think car companies will never gain my respect again in America until they lose the worthless unions and pay their employees a good average wage! I have not owned an American car in years and don't plan to ever again I want something good on gas and that is built to last, some of us don't go out buy a new car every year so that car loan thing is stupid!

12. Mike Saratoga

There's too much debt (leverage) in the system, as Americans have lived beyond their means for yrs. What's Obama's answer (Hank Paulson's too)? More debt – that's what the TALF program is all about, trying to revitalize moribund parts of the lending market. Fortunately, for now, the Chinese will finance the incremental leverage as they have no deisre to see their currency appreciate. At some point, the game will end.

13. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

why do we need to bring up the race issue everytime Obama makes a speech? And why do I need to know Jindal's life history?

14. Clarence, Albuquerque

I love Bobby's accent.

15. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Governer Jindal sounds like he's reading to children with his high pitch rehearsed voice. It does not sound genuine.

16. Jill Kuraitis

With President Obama's speech, we watched a real leader who speaks in complete sentences who called on us to stand up straight and fly right.

His priorities of the economy, energy, health care and education are the core values of all of us who have despaired of the selfishness of Bush/Cheney and their Republican predecessors.

Jindal is unctuously insincere.

17. Michelle, Indiana

President Obama provided a wonderful overview of things to come. For the comments made about all of the different aspects being ambitious was STUPID! The economy is a multifaceted problem and has many contributing factors. And failure to look a the total scope of the problem is asinine. The closed minded right are a big part of the problem and the hipocrasy that was shown this evening, just to get a camera shot did them no good.

18. Jennifer

Bobby just wants to get on camera. He sounds a bit like Mr Rogers

19. Cindy

So Obama is going to get praise for raising troop levels yet Bush got trounced for it! Yeah...that makes perfect sense!

Cindy..Ga.

20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, John King, and more…… Also helloooo bloggers!!!!
    Pres. Obama is great speech tonight!!! Awesome!!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening everyone! I was over on Facebook, but no sign of anyone from CNN.

No problem, I'll just hang out here with my buds 🙂

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

There better be something good to say about Obama from the GOP side....

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Esma

Jindal...you're move, Sherlock.

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Cal

Thanks for the luv Renee ... some innovation is what the country needs to pull us out of this crisis.

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Stefany Meyer-Reed

I am so grateful we have this President. Education, energy, and healthcare- it is about time we finally addressed these. For the first time ever in my political life, I actually do have hope. I am inspired.

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Morris - Broussard, LA

My hope is that members of Congress and the House take the President's message seriously. My opinion is that most Republicans, to include Bobby Jindal, are too busy trying to crush the President's plan for American success instead of thinking about the citizens who elected them and who they serve.

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Carmen

Absolutely fantastic speech. The most inspiring presidential speech I have heard in my adult lifetime.

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Bridget, TX

Ken B. I'm with you, the tears fell and I realized how much I needed to hear the President project hope during these dire times , yet remain real and honest about the current situation. The speech was on target, seeing Michelle show such pride was great but what made it come together was watching all the politicians in one room for a time appear to be on one page. We'll only succeed if we unite to save each of us.

February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Shawn C

Yes Michelle D, but what was Anderson's response about 50 Cent. Don't tell me that Hip Hop does not matter!

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

The fan fare for Obama is like a rockstar congress shaking his hands getting autgraghs

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  31. MARIA

GREAT SPEECH. AMAZING. EXTRAORDINARY

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Georgene Riegel

Hello, the reason our President needed to talk about health care, education and energy is because they are so closely tied to the economy. I think he made that point very clearly...did you miss that??

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Mike B

President Obama never ceases to amaze me with his energy and insight on so many issues. Amazing speech.

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Rhonda

When are Obama and his staff going to stop campaigning?

I can’t believe the taxpayers are funding this political operation.

I also find it hard to believe that taxpayers are financing all of these new high-level government positions created by Obama (and the many millions of dollars that go with them for staff, offices, transportation, etc) that are only political machines for image and have nothing substantive to contribute.

This is insane!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Duane B, New York

Hi Anderson,

This is exactly the type of speech President Obama needed to make at this time. It was direct, confident, motivational. I agree 100% with Roland, President Obama is a ambitious president. An ambitious president is exactly what this country needs and is asking for leadership.

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Jennifer - Michigan

I guess we shall see.

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  37. David

I heard one your commentators ask about details in the President's Speech. I want to know How much details can anyone put into a one hour speech that is supposed to cover all these issues plaguing our country.
    Thanks

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Miranda

Hope everyone is having a good night.

If democrats are Kanye West then Republicans are 50 Cent...I loved it Anderson.

Miranda

February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

So glad that there was some sort of bi-partisanship in Congress. Just hope it wasn't all acting.

February 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Glen Up North

Jennifer, actually, you just described basically what every corporate country does with regards to their respective privately-owned "Federal Reserve": borrow more money to pay back the debt plus the accumulated interest... as the only source of money is the same "Federal Reserve".

February 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Bea

Bobby Jindal is glib and that's it. What has he done for Louisiana?

February 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I can't say that I was impressed. It was the same old rhetoric and the same old arrogant attitude.

February 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hey guys!!!!
    I am back to CNN now from Facebook!!!!!
    Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, John King, and more...... Also helloooo bloggers!!!!
    Pres. Obama is great speech tonight!!! Awesome!!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Vanessa, TX

I was excited to participate in the CNN/Facebook thing..kinda slow though @ times, delay

February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

Woohoo! What an inspiring speech! I feel downright patriotic.

February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Greg, Austin Tx

I'm not too sure about the cancer cure part but overall, it was a very inspiring speech. I know that some may be disappointed by the lack of details, but details on every single goal would have probably carried us into sunrise. Friday. May 6th.

February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

HALLO! Obama comeletly wowed me. Wonderful rhetoric as always!
    🙂

February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Jacqueline, NY

Greetings All!

Good speech. I would like to meet my president.

February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Nancy Pelosi couldn't keep herself in her seat. lol

February 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Isabel, Brazil

Hi, Anderson,

Hello, bloggers!
    Hello, Megan, EJ, Mave, Brand, Ashley!, ChrisSosa, and Esma!

Wonderful speech by the President and I loved the CNN Live with facebook. Only regretted not having bloggers in my contacts. But you are of congratulations! Very modern and very connectivity! Great!

February 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm |