February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. william

President Obama job well done. I dont know if everthing will work out the way he wants to but what i do know is he smart enough to do whats right forAmerca

February 24, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  2. PAULA from Buffalo, NY

I'm getting tired of hearing manufactured propaganda regarding this stimulus package. Define "earmarks"? If a so called earmark is something that will generate hiring people, or reduce energy costs or improve on an existing program or produce the purchase a good or service – then I'm all for "earmarks". There are many ways to generate economic activity. Every program reqires people to run and maintain it doesn't it? That's called A JOB. I think the GOP needs to stop acting like sore losers and get in the game.

February 24, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  3. MiMi

In the Presidents speech he referred to aid in the stimulas package to Corporations,Banks,Small Business ,the unemployed, homeowners,and working families but no mentioin of any type of assistance to those of us who struggle every day to make ends meet on just social security...Have the elders been forgotton????

February 24, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  4. Josh P

Hey Anderson and the crew

I believe that President Obama's speech was very hopeful and well needed by the American ppl. I also, am glad that he explained some of the topics that were in the stimulus plan and also explained his reasoning behind it. All in all speech was very good

February 24, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  5. Paula Zinko

I thought the presidents speech was very good, I have a problem with Gov. Jindal's response. I live in Las Vegas and we are Americans too we have real problems and need real solutions to our job losses here, It is unfair that Vegan's are being singeled out for something that will help us survive a train from Ca, to Vegas will help our economy. What about us ? Are we not important ?

February 24, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  6. Rumond

The people are asking how will he do all of these things the question should be how will we do all these things. Trust in our leader but do your part make your commitment. One person or a adminstration can not accomplish this aggressive agenda alone.

February 24, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  7. Ed, San Antonio, TX

Gov. Jindal should not have spoken today and especially after the President. In a way it disrespects the Commander In Chief and causes lack of confidence in our government. As a young voter who is neither Dem nor Rep no one should display argument after an inspiring address to the American people.

8. Daphne in Michigan

The president said, " There will be no pork". The stimulus is full of pork. When will the working class Americans, finally be represented with truthful politicians. After serving a 6 year term, politicians receive a pension and full health care for the rest of their lives. Yet these same politician have little regards for us ( the working class ) to receive the same opportunities.

9. Crystal G, Middletown, Delaware

President Obama speech was inspirational and hopeful. To all Republicans let us not forget this crisis did not happen overnight and who was in office for the last eight years? It takes a strong man to address it, make a strategy and clean up someone else big deficit that was drop in his lap and do all this within a month in office.

10. Duane B, New York

Anderson and Erica,

Kudos are great reporting and analysis.

I totally agree with David Gergen. I've been saying the same thing on this blog and others over the past few weeks. Republicans have provided no solutions or ideas; all they do is criticize and roadblock. Its gotten old already. They are a lost party.

11. David

The President did a great job. I think is the greatest president that US have had or will have. I give A plus for his hard work.

12. Marilyn Cornish

Best speach I have heard in 69 years. We are so lucky to have Him for our president.
    Marilyn

13. Michael

Hi Erica!
    So what did you see, as a journalist, of interest in the President's speech?

14. Jenny

Anderson, President Obama's speechwas so tranquilizing during this crisis. I trust him to lead this country..

15. Ken in NC

As it seems now, if the Republican Party wants to get massive votes from Blacks in 2010 and 2012 they are going to have to let Michal Steele vote early and vote often. That is the only way they will get massive Black votes.

16. Joe

Jindal's comments were a bit surprising! It was amazing for him to represent the fact that Washington did nothing to help with the Katrina clean-up!

It just seemed that he had nothing of substance to rebut the President's comments this evening

17. Jozette in California

Will the Banking system reform address issues such as "credit reporting agencies and reporting"? I would think this area has a major affect with banks lending to Main Street? Won't the "housing" stimulus plan have some impact on credit reporting (ie debt forgiven, debt write-off, etc.)?

18. Ade

I knew he would do great. He is such a talented man and I hope that he can accomplish all that he said he will do!

19. Jeff

Is Gindal suggesting he will return the billions of dollars that the Feds have spent in Louisana? Since nothing the government has done, yet still, insufficient, moved the New Orleans region forward. Its funny how the GOP has learned nothing from the recent defeats.

20. Paul - Oakland, California

I don't understand anyone that isn't inspired anytime President Obama speaks. Greatest President EVER.

Roland you're the man!!

21. Lori K.

Education as a patriotic act is what I will remember this President for.

I am SO happy the US is getting their collective crap together.

Love your country! Go! To! SCHOOL!

22. Rashid

I am both hopeful and concerned at the same time. The speech was great but where's the money coming from. Can we do all these things at the same time? I am giving the President as much time as he needs to show progress. I believe in him. I just hope his Cabinet can perform and give us accountability in government.

23. BILLY MAGEE - collins.ms

I can't wait when Obama's plan start to show progression

24. Tony in IL

I forgot to say......members of congress should stand up and clap. Did you see all of those Republicans stay seated after Obama thanked them for passing the stimulus. Democrats stood up....where's the love??

25. Passonthetorch

The President address was superb, it has authenticity and re-ignites inspiration, confidence, hopefulness and pride to beleive in America once more

26. Michael Yung Jai Freitag

Man is He Charismatic!! He is so intelligent and a Tremendous Orator!
    He gave alot of backbone and staunch hope-much needed!
    I hope he doesn't raise taxes for business owners.
    three words-Gregarious! Gregarious! Gregarious!

27. Caleb

Excellent speech, American agenda, strong outlook, high moral, the support of the American people, the future is upon us as it looks great.

28. Marcus

AC, I thought that was the worse response from the GOP I have ever seen. It was almost like a SNL script as compared to the Pres. speech.

29. Steven Liston

All i have to say to the Republicans is to lead follow or get out of the way. All they are doing now is being a roadblock. This is the same thing they did to Clinton. They scream about bi-partisanship but only when its coming their way.

30. Damien

I for one support President Obama, not because his ambitious plans, but the fact that he is willing to go further and higher for the citizens of America. Even if he achieves half of what he aimed for, it is half way which we would not even gotten to to begin with. As long as he is the President, I am ready to roll up my sleeves and work with and for him.

31. Aaron

If Bobby Jindal and Sarah Palin are the new leaders of the GOP, then America is in GREAT shape. The more these two talk, the more people realize that GOP ideas are intellectually and morally bankrupt...and there's no bailout for that problem.

32. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

I believe Ed Rollins has no confidence in efforts for the US to have a bipartisan outlook on our recovery from this recession? Playing politics so soon?

33. Glen Up North

I can't believe the Republicans think their posturing is going to speak louder than their general refusal to go along with Obama. Someone needs to send them a poster with the caption "Action Speaks Louder Than Words!"

34. Sean

I agree with brenda, right now it's about our kids, there is no hope for us!

35. matt

conservative at heart but obama gets that the idiots that ran us in the ground need to be kicked out and a responsible govt needs to stop them from getting into this again

36. Pauline

Just watched The President and feel that he is doing all he can to keep his promises and that's all we can ask for. So far so very good.

37. Virginia

JIndal claims that members of Congress haven't had time to read the stimulus pkg? Here's an idea: read the bill while you wait for 8 hours for a premier seat and photo op.

38. Patricia

President Obama speech was great....I am very disappointed in Bobby Jendal's 5 min. speech tho...He just helped Republicans loose a couple more seats for re-election...How can he honestly depict the Democrats? After 8 years of complete disaster...Republicans should Welcome a New & Fresh approach...Bush left Louisianna in complete Disaster...Jendal needs to stop campaigning & picking and get behind our President as all Americans an Rep's should...

39. Larry

Anderson:

Did I just hear Ed Rollins justify a Republican strategy of sitting back and hoping for the stimulus to fail? That's unconscionable! Why on earth didn't you call him on that?

LG

February 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  40. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Right On Roland!!! I've had it with the "big" banks. I don't trust them one bit and I hold them responsible for the deteriorating tax revenues and services in my (small) community. I have just moved my business accounts to a regional bank that actively supports the community.

February 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  41. claire-wichita, ks

Right on Roland you are exactly right. We do want to hear some solutions from the banks. We know they are in trouble, we want to know how they think they can get out of trouble!

February 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  42. Cristy Kirssin

It was a good speech but I'm still concerned about the trillion dollar spending

February 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  43. Helen

Obama cool and confident way of speaking to america has instilled confidence in many of us. You just can help but beleive things are going to get better.

February 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  44. Joanne, North Carolina

Great speech, delivered well, just what the American people needed to hear...that together USA will lead once again. Inspiring! His calm and confident demeanor reassures people that Barack Obama is the best President during these tough times.

February 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  45. Daniel

You know we're in bad shape when a Marine over seas in japan for 2 years doesn't have enough money to come home to see his family.

February 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  46. Ade

I think that was a great speech!

February 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  47. Sharon S

Erica, you just do all the work, I don't know how Anderson could do it without you!
    Glad to see you all up so late going over all these issues!

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  48. jean

obama give hope to wall street please I want to retire some day and I have loss half my retirement....send the hope to wall street please...........

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  49. aliou

Tonight, I loved President Obama's speech. I understood the stimulus more.

As for the republican's Jindal, he kept reminding me of Sarah Palin, a fish out of his league.

His up and down voice like a school kid, put me to sleep in 5 seconds.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  50. SXC, Boston

Quick comment: Right now Government spending without banks lending will not work. Good on the President on acknowledging that.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |