February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Joseph Ross

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  2. Kim - Vista, CA

The President gave a wonderful speech. The impression he gives is open, honest, and trustworthy. When you see a response like that of Gov. Jindal it is a great reminder of the fabulous decision America made in removing a Republican from the Office of President. What a bitter and destructive Party they are.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  3. Michael

So proud to be an American. Obama can unite us all, and create change.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  4. John Arms

It's going to be a rough ride, but Obama pointed out the right steps to take. If you can follow the path to it's conclusion, not only will our economy recover, but we will have regained that sense of what it means to be an American again. It's not what the politicians or even the media do or say (No offense Anderson) but what we as a republic DO to recover. How well America works as a team through this will make the next chapter in the Book that is America what it is.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  5. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey Erica. Yes, CNN is great. I blogged on the CNN LIVE blog with Facebook, which was great. Great to see reaction of different people.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  6. Spencer Miller

Obama is a great speaker, but his plans concern me. The republicans failed us over the last eight years by spending too much. Now, the democrats plan to "save our economy" by spending even more. President Obama did say he plans to cut the trillion dollar deficit in half in the next four years, but the math doesn't add up with his future programs.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  7. Kimberly

I enjoy the "plain speak" of the President, too often those "educated fools" use unnecessary big words, that the people who suffer most, don't even understand. As unfortunate as it may be. But that's why they withdraw from their roles in our government.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  8. Nick

As a child my father told me, “Your actions speak so loudly, I can’t hear a word you say.”

I don't understand how people can look past every expensive bailout and the largest spending bill of all time, and still believe Obama is sincere when he says we don't want to bail out poor decisions.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  9. brandon

So why should we believe Bernanke now? Isn't he one of the architects of the first $700M bailout. He can't predict 3 weeks into the future but now since he says what we want to hear he is a genious. Give me a break.

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  10. Sheila

Jindal's republican rhetoric presented a sad state of their case....it was the verbal complement to those long-faced sour grape Republicans who refused to stand or clap for the "man with a plan". Americans can now see them for what they are

Jindal does not want or need gov't involvement ?....what about those billions that were sent to help Katrina recovery...did he send it back?

February 24, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  11. Joseph Ross

And New Orleans residents still at large. It would've been nice to have Obama in office Doing the hurricane than Bush a Republican and taxes the middle class are still supporting Louisiana, our backs are breaking.

12. K.Ladd

Isnt it Great to have a President instead of a party leader in the White House....people of America will respond to him and help return us to the economic power we can be

13. Bonnie Crawford

Good evening Anderson, Erica and fellow bloggers. I thought President Obama's speech was superb. Governor Jindall just doesn't get it that principles shouldn't come before people. The President was talking to main street and I appreciate his efforts. We're going to make it thought this economic crisis just fine if we all pull together.

14. Sabrina

Erich – You're not alone! I don't think 90% of Americans know "how" he's going to do it! Everyone is so worried about "hoping" it will get better that they are failing to ask "how!" Either the American population is that ignorant, or it is scared to ask "how" because they have a good idea that there is no solid answer to that question at this point! Can someone please ask Obama "HOW?"

15. Brenda Aguero

well we need to start helping the small worker and owner and not these companies that have planes and houses in excess...

16. Dan

As expected, President Obama did a great job delivering his speech tonight. However, given the breadth of his agenda and his lack of specificity, I worry that he intends to abdicate program definition to Congress (as he did with the Stimulus Bill) or to his cabinet. I think our country would will be better served if President Obama were to get out of campaign mode and started to lead, learn, and get it right.

17. Linda in Denver

Pres Obama is a great speaker. However, this does not change my concerns about the amount of government spending without our really knowing all the specifics. I think his goals are lofty...but where is all the money going to come from to fund all of this? Only time will tell if this will work...and we'll never know if it would have cycled back without all of this mammoth spending.

18. Belinda

I am feeling more confident about our countrys future than I have in a long time. I'm 57, out of work, (due to a foreign auto mfg. supplier) used my 401 for mortgage, living on unemployment and my husbands disability just pays our mortgage now. But... I am proud of and stand behind my President. This man has more ability to see the future of this country and believe in what we can do than any one ever. The republicans should stop whinning and pouting and help him do the job of recovery. He has my trust and prayersl.

19. Dana

An ambitious President. Which is a good thing. When setting goals it's always good to aim high. If you shoot for the stars you may land on the moon.

20. Bonnie

At last, we have a President who has a vision for America that is based on a real understanding of our history. He sees the big picture and that is what we need in our leader.

21. Brian Cooney

Very inspiring speech. Obama is undoubtedly an amazing speaker. I was most struck by the more even applause from both sides of the room compared to the last two administrations. I hope this trend continues, and I for one feel more inspired than ever to start fresh and to put his words into action.

22. Herbert

The business community continues to complain about hearing something positive come from their government, including your talking heads. They are awaiting the "vocal" handout. Biting the same hand that is criticizing the actions at each turn?? Strange.

23. Brandon - Podunk Okalhoma

I haven't felt this kind of inspiration from my president since Clinton. I love my country and I know we will make it through this.

24. carly

I beleive that there are 9000 pork projects in the new bill . This sounds like change to me. Even more pork thats the change.

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  25. Jane

If all the market needs is Bernake to speak positively about the economy, why not have him talk everyday, maybe we can recover some of our losses.

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  26. Wallace

Louisiana we need to recall on Bobby Jindal. We need the money, we're last in education, and still suffering from Katrina. We need a Gov. for the people not politics. Now not 2012.

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  27. Daniel

I want the Republicans to give solutions instead of just saying they oppose everything. It seems they are searching for answers as Jindal was horrible tonight.

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  28. Michelle, FL

I love that Roland can make you smile and laugh Anderson!

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  29. orlando

As a young republican I realize that some of the old fashion views have crippled our party. our problem is we have too much trust in the well off when in general they are greedy.

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  30. Esma

Hey, Erica!!!

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  31. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

"You guys don't need me!"

Crazy talk, Erica. Welcome!

I agree regarding Facebook. Great idea on CNN/Facebook's part.

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  32. Steve

It was refreshing to watch and listen to a President who speaks in rational, intelligent language! President Obama is an inspiring speaker. A great change from the "Bush isms" of the last eight years. I'm sure his speech tonight fostered a long lost confidence the presidency.

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  33. Lawry

Bobby Jindal's speech rapidly deteriorated from boring to pathetic. He had no business being there

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  34. John/ St. George, Utah

How can the president talk about responsible behavior in corporate America when Nancy Pelosi sits a few feet behind him fresh from her taxpayer funded vacation to Italy? He can't clean up America till he cleans up Washington.

February 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  35. Stephanie

I really hope that the Republicans start crossing the aisle and compromise. The President needs support from both sides. Can you imagine how far our country could go if that actually happened?

February 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  36. Lisa

Obama was brilliant, and Jindal's "rebuttal" was painfully, pathetically bad.

February 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  37. Mac

Left or Right..., duly elected officials have ot know (even if some care not to admit it) that the problems we face are greater then the small minded pettiness, that all to often consumes dialouge. They must remember, they all got there off of someone's community, SERVE IT!!

February 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  38. Eileen Mattil

Anderson, I was struck by the fact that the Republicans would not rise and applaude the healthcare afforded to 11 million children by this new President!! The say they are in favor of education but NOT healthy children? They should be ashamed of themselves! Now we see what their real values are.

February 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  39. Cornelius Williams

Great speech! Its time for our great country to unite and continue to show proof that we are the greatest nation on earth.

February 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  40. Ms. Yum ME in West Los Angeles

Howdy Partner!!! I am a single mother with the expectation of our President to be just what he said. Straight to the point.. I don't feel he's hiding one thing. If I want to know anything I can read it or hear it on the internet. We live in a society that can hide nothing. So give the man a break! He is only doing the job most us would dare take even take if we lost our jobs tomorrow.

Bravo. Mr. President Obama

February 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  41. Bea

I can understand why some middle class folks say they don't want to be democrats but for the life of me I can't understand why they would be republicans. Republicans have never helped the middle class, ever. They have helped the very rich. I'm an independent. I don't get it.

February 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  42. Larry

WOW Jindal’s rebuttal was a Mess, No passion at all ! ! ! !

No worries Rush will spin it for Jindal and the Republicans tomorrow and no one will remember it.

Kudos to Obama, He should speak every 3 months to a join session to keep everyone from falling back in to the dark whole of government of the past..........

February 24, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  43. Karen - Obama Ozarks

OBSTRUCTIONIST Republicans...that's all they are. They're NOT holding to principles. Find their way? They need to learn that they live in this century. Nothing new, nothing creative, no REAL principles except those that have led us to our current mess.

And why Jindhal? His "arguments" were crazy. He was more like a car salesman. Why don't the Repubs pick someone with smarts? I don't like Romney but he sure is better than Bobby J.

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  44. ericacnn

hi, everyone – sorry i'm late to the blog, though you guys don't need me! great convo happening tonight. i've been going through the FB comments and pulse results – fascinating information, and such a cool way to watch this event

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  45. Seth

It is absolutely restorative to have a President weave together the diverse and challenging issues this country faces into a comprehensive plan and deliver it in a fashion any American could understand. His call to action to the House and Senate was masterful.
    The big change in Washington may just be that getting re-elected is no longer a viable measurement of success.

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  46. Joseph Ross

Hollo, bloggers
    I am not surprised, president Obama is still keeping the strong faith, some mistakes were made in Louisiana Governor speech, I never heard president Obama say give up, Louisiana should accept some of this money to fix the highways in Louisiana.

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  47. Lori from IL

Anderson -

Let's face it, Obama is at least attempting bipartisanship - if the Republican's are going to "dig in their heels" what can he do?

Love to hear David Gergen's comments, Ali's and John King's, too - but Ed Rollins needs some new comments instead of repeating those from the last President Obama speech panel.

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  48. Brian

Just another grandious speech by a professional politician with his own personal ambitious interests in mind. I've been listening to these presidential speeches since Nixon and they always sound wonderful, but contain mostly empty words and ideas that never amount to very much. Wake up people, the new President is just a man like all the rest that came before him.

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  49. Gwen from NJ

I hope the US can work together amongst ourselves (Democrats & Republicans). We need to be leaders in the world, because there are huge problems that we need to help solve (genocide in Darfur, war in Iraq).

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  50. Karen C

Does anyone realize that really successful people NEVER set their sight on “good enough”? They always set their goals, what to most of us, seem unbelievably high. You don’t try, you don’t get. I think the president is right on track. He’s just the first president in a long time to say that extremely publicly. You think he doesn’t know he won’t be held up to total account? I believe him. I believe that we can do it.

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |