February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Michael

Republicans, please remember this line: "I didn't vote for him, but he's my president, and I hope he does a good job."

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  2. Clarence, Albuquerque

Three points for trying.... republicans haven't helped themselves rise above the polls..... Jindal spoke the the constituency....what is the agenda to move the ball forward....? The cannot just sit on the tail of November .... it sounds like a comet with two tails... one moving forward and one moving backward...

February 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  3. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

Seriously, I want to know why the republicans are so partisan? do they have no confidence for moving the country forward?

4. Lou

Single mom, one in college, another just accepted, one also born with a medical condition, and caring for my aging mom. I'm educated and was just laid off. This speech was for me! There have been fear and tears, but I now feel that there will be an end to the despair.

5. Wendell

If the dems want to help the economy, how about getting them to pay income taxes for a change.

6. carolyn cee yah

ED the money was spent prior to president obama taking office.

7. Jane

Blame game doesnt help, there is definately alot of wasteful spending in this bill.. It would have been outrageous if 100% of the congress/senate had voted for this bill.

8. Oscar Torres

It is definitely one speech that will go down in history as the one that got the United States moving to prosperity once again.
    Republicans are worried about the spending..HA!!!!!! they were the ones that walked us down this hole were in and now they are mad cause Pres. Obama is reaching down to get us out of their mess......

9. Lisa

Hey Anderson cooper..you said waiting for President Obama is like waiting for Madona's ticket..are u kidding me! president Obama is way more important than Madona...he is the President of the United States of America!!!!! So please get that right ok!

10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am so surprised that polls 87 percent supports president Obama!!! that is great!

11. Bea

I can't wait for folks to start examining Jindal's record in Louisiana!

12. Bridget, TX

Does Ed think it's okay for the GOP to sit back and hope the country fail so they can win in 2010?

13. Priya

A great, stimulating speech. Unfortunately, no substance- no specifics. It seemed to be an extension of candidate Obama.
    Still waiting... A democrat.

14. Tyrone

HAPPY MARDI GRAS! New Orleans, LA. Hometown. Bobby Jindal’s Administration…Well, How can I say this frankly…WHAT A JOKE!

15. Steven Laidlaw

It sounded like He was hinting about doing a major clean of wastefull spending. How much is out there? Hundreds of billions of dollars?

16. Karen in Omaha

Obama has the right idea. He is forcing us to look at our current process, beliefs, and ideals – both at home and at work. We need to get our Quality hats on and do our best to make improvements to our personal environment and to the products and services we are involved in. We CAN!

17. Christine Dimengo

Just when I think President Obama cannot raise the bar any higher, he delivers another amazing "call to arms" to all Americans. More importantly, to every politician in that room. Clearly, by the looks on some faces, it is finally "hitting home" that he is a force to be reckoned with! Obviously, some heads are rolling for not pulling the plug on Gov. Jindal.

18. Sheena

Amazing. I'm hundreds of miles away, but I've never felt closer to our President. His projection of hope made it into every household watching tonight. America is standing up and applauding you Mister President, we know you hear our roar.

19. Leroy

Gov. Jindal calls Pres. Obama`s plan irresponsible. The way Pres. Bush and the republican leaders ran this country in the ground for the past eight years no party could be no more irresponsible then they were. Look in the mirror Gov. Jindal.

20. Lesley

As always Obama uses well-articulated, rational and optimistic messages to inform the people. I'm encouraged by his decisions so far. I'd like to hear/read more detail though. Great start Mr. President!

21. Gale From Illinois

I'm so happy he is our President! I feel so inspired and hopeful!

22. Michelle

The Republicans are in the wilderness.
    Mr. Gergen is right they need ideas.

23. Brian Payne

I think the President gave an awesome speech given the reactions within the chamber. Myself i need tobe inspired, my local government all steals my confidence in those whom are suppose tobe in charge!

24. Paolo

Hi everyone! Obama has to be commended for toning down the negativity. He's on the right track.

25. Johnny in Texas

It's funny how media experts wanted the president to show optimism. Then as soon as he delivered the some experts followed with a knife through his message. After listening to Governor Jindhal I said, NO WONDER THE MARKET IS CONFUSED.

26. Linda

Our elected officals need to start working to better the lives of the voters or they will be out of a job. Republicans need to start working with president or I believe they are gonna find theirselves out of job just like most of the voters who elected them.

27. Kevin W

Anderson

I think the most important statement the President made, is that he would do everything he could to solve the problem, and explained to the American people that the problems with the banking system effects everything, and he is not just bailing out the bankers but actually helping Americans by fixing the banking problems.

28. Carlos

Anderson,

I wonder if David Gergen could comment on the President's less formal style of delivery such as the cracking the "nobody messes with Joe" deviation

29. David- Miami

I agree Jindal was almost selling shamwow's, if the Republican's want to gain the trust of the American people they better get out of the Bush era.

30. Erich NY,NY

Good Speech, but I didn't hear a plan... just the same promises. I hope that he can do it, but I don't know how he will...

What was the Gov. of LA. taking about!

31. Brenda Aguero

we need to belive in him and make sure that our kids have a future

32. Fred

We as a society spend enormous sums of money on prisons, inmate rights etc. When money gets tight, the first thing that is cut is education, whether it be at the public school level or at the collegiate level. Can someone explain that please?

33. sid

Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear Minority Leader McConnell respond to the President's remarks with constructive criticism that did not include "reducing taxes." Suggest he read Everett Dirksen.

34. EM-Fort Wayne, IN

After watching the speech, I was confident in this administrations goals to restore what we've lost. As for Jindal, his speech was questionable in that I was uncertain of his tone...was he talking to a younger crowd? I was not impressed by his speech.

35. Roger, Iowa

I think President Obama hit the nail on the head tonight. American people who live day to day in the real world know America is now on the right path. Republicans need the get their heads out of the clouds stop covering their mistakes and start living in 2009 by not looking back to Ronald Reagan.

36. Helen

It's time we listened to our great president and follow his lead instead of doubting. Our president has challenged us to do something really great . Lets band together and truly bring change to this country.

37. Maxine Pryor

I find it interesting that some members of congress can waste a day's salary to claim a "good seat" for tonight's Presidential address, but are in opposition to the stimulus plan. If they are willing to misuse money on such a small scale, let's see how they would spend (or waste) a larger budget.

38. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I agree David G. That Jindal speech did nothing for the Republican party.

39. Diane Dagenais Turbide

We will take that 82%! The point that he is getting for trying to reach out is because he is telling others do not bring me old ideas!

40. Fred - Washington PA

If your poll is admittedly "skewed" then why report it? How about something more objective?

41. Shirley

I'm a Canadian who is captivated with President Obama and American politics. A word of wisdom to the Republicans – Please, please work together in getting the economy back on track and stop campaigning for the 2012 elections.

42. julie

Shame on Gov.Jidal and the Republican party, how do they think we got into this mess in the first place. We can only go up from here. Kodos to President Obama

43. Brenna Atchison

Anderson,
    Wow!! I was so impressed with Pres. Obama's speech tonight. He gives us such hope for all our futures. I have a son in the Army, a daughter in college and grandchildren that will reap the benifits of Pres. Obama's vision for our country. Thanks for covering it.

44. Luka Mizaute

Great speech. Jindal's? Repubs are so obsessed with tax cuts that they have lost touch with reality. 6 yrs of tax cuts and the economy is in a mess. Still talk about tax cuts. Gimme a break.

45. Amy Hernandez

Obama’s speech was directed to the people, he gave people hope that in difficult times the president will do what is best for us "the people" now and in the long run.

46. jean

good speech; he has alot of things planned but a little too much on the table he won't be able to accomplish everything. he needs to be more positive about economy ...

47. Christan

I think it's funny how Bobby Jindal and the Republicans think they have all the answers now. But where were all the soulutions the past eight years? Now the Obama and the dems have to clean up the mess.

February 24, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  48. Robert Shaw

The speech was not inspiring for us.

February 24, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  49. Brenda Aguero

we all need to back him like we have never backed a pres. we can not afford not to...

February 24, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  50. VA Independent Voter

I feel as though the Republican Party is trying to hard in the quest to rebrand themselves. In addition, Bobby Jindal failed in his effort to inspire charisma in the same manner as President Obama.

February 24, 2009 at 11:06 pm |