February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. ric

Anderson! is it standard procedure for a rebutle by the opposing party? because if it is, i think its wrong! it seems to undermine the president.

2. Bill Wilsobn

Consistency..... President Obama has consistently had a firm, positive, hopeful message.

3. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I really do think that President Obama did an excellent job...he really needed to deliver words that start to spur consumer confidence so that spending starts happening...that will help drive our economy.

4. Bridget, TX

Candy a great night for the President and the American people. Thank you for the poll information.

5. VeroBeach

Best speech??? 8000 earmarks with this package but Joe will make sure there isn't any in the next.Leader or liar??

6. Patricia Diflo

GOP response via Jindal was no response to the specifics of the speech. It was a legislator running for the next election instead of responsibly legislating in the here and now. Jindal offered self-aggrandizing of his own agenda & offered no new approach to solutions or any sincere bipartisanship that is needed or wanted by most Americans.

7. Patricia

Gov Jindal says people can spend their money better than the governmnet. Where does he think people are going to get money from:
    banks that are not lending. How does he propose to fix the banks problem without interference from the government. i would love to hear his response for my understanding.

8. Dolores

Just watched Bobbie Jindal and if that all the Republicans have than I pity them. I always thought the Republican Party was a big laugh but this Jindal is the dumbest one of all.

9. Winston

Pragmatic straightforward impressive speech. New confidence is being planted for future generations around the world.

10. Michael

Higher taxes on "Corporate America"??? Its "Corporate America" shipping 10s of thousands of jobs everyday overseas WITH TAX BREAKS!!!! Get a grip!! Pull those tax shelters & breaks and make "Corporate America" actually do business in America!

11. Beverly Jackson

I feel that the Governor from New Orleans was used to try and dilute President Obama's presentation, it did not work! in fact he sounded and looked pretty dim-witted.

12. Dalas Klein

Jandal is a perfect example of why the Republican party isn't in power, of course Bush really was responsible for that. If Jandal and Palin are all they've got that party is'nt going anywhere.

13. Robert Shaw

Charles & Frank Duryea- Americans, built the first motor car

14. Stephanie

Yea, Obama is so inspiring. Jindal ? He needs to go back to speech class.

15. Stacy Brown

The President gave me great hope tonight. I am a 42 year old female, who after 15 years lost my job due to plant moving operation to Mexico. I think that now America have a chance to become great again. To Jindal, I say take care of the people of your own state, who are still homeless, before you worry about running for president for the GOP.

16. Rosie

Hello Anderson, I think President Obama did a good job with his address tonight, and yes, I support him all the way. Many are talking about how the money will be spent, and that it will cost our children and grandchildren, yes it wil cost us, it does not matter, the money will be spent now or later. Why not now.

17. Armide

Great Presidential speech. Obama makes me hopeful, I am retired and on Medicare through social security. Guess what... I pay a lot of taxes on both.

Sad response by Jindal. He got lots of federal money after Katrina. Can we send all his criminals back from Atlanta now? Then Atlanta can keep the federal dollars we need for our citizens.

February 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  18. Clarence, Albuquerque

Flash polls from only those that saw the speech.... the other 40 percent are celebrating Marsi Gras and the other 40 percent aren't watching.

February 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  19. mae nickerson

This president is about the peoples business, he's keeping us in the loop. We understand what he's trying to do. He's doesn't have time to sit on his hands. He's multi tasking. Thats why we sent him to the white house.

MJN

February 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  20. Loria Russo, Franklin Lakes, NJ

I am so proud of our New President!

I am an Independent who voted for President Obama and hope he can turn the country around. Republicans had the last 8 years to lead and in my opinion they failed.

We must stand behind this President to help our country and our future.

God Bless America!

February 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  21. Chantel

Keeping track of our dollars just what we needed. No more lavish trips for bank CEOs

February 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  22. Denise

Hello Anderson, Erica, and CNN staff

President Obama's speech was direct , he expressed positive energy, hope and a realistic vision, which I think inspires every American to participate in a new future of change.

February 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  23. Bob

I believe President Obama has a genuine concern for the average American, the media needs to support him and stop analyzing his judgement and speech to congress. Take what he said and respect it.

February 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  24. Cathy Gigliotti

It's not where's the beef, It's where's the $$$$$. I just can't understand where all this money is coming from. I am hoping it doesn't come out of my pocket. We are making it but not able to save any money. I lost $$$ in my retirement fund. Can't I get a tax break for the amount of money I lost in my 2 investments (Home & Retirement)over the last two years? My house is no where near worth what we paid for it nearly 4 years ago. Fix that!

25. Jerrie

Great speech by the President. I would like to hear him speak about jobs for Veterans in the VA. He has gotten my attention on the state of the econonmy, healthcare, social security, etc.

26. Billy

If Obama is really worried about my family's well being, he should put my family back together. Stop working with the same government that is not letting me father my children.

27. Harry

I'm tired of Jindal already. He' running for President already. I wasn't impressed. Same old ideas used by Bush. The Republicans still haven't reinvented their party yet. Ideas are the same as before... they didn't work. Money from business doesn't trickle down.

28. jean

No all the republicans need to do and stand by and watch President Obama and the Dems ruin this country take our freedom of speech and our right to bear arms away. Raise the Social Security on our pay checks,raise the price of oil, ruin our private sector jobs,ruin our energy,and so forth the way this government is spending we will be in trillions ands trillions of dollars in debt.

29. Nancy

President was GREAT!!!!!

That other fellow from (the rebuttal) NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!
    He sounded like the head complainer for the Republicans?
    Did it change my mind? I DON'T THINK SO.

30. Andrew, Texas

Anderson, What are these "checks" that the President said would "be on their way in April"? I wasn't aware of any stimulus checks that we would see.

31. linda in california

It's such a huge relief to have a President who is intelligent, competent, and charasmatic. This gives me hope.

32. Xavier

Let's be honest, America. Just as Obama said, over half of Americans aren't graduating high school/finishing college. Bobby Jindal wants to leave our fate up to these people. It is no insult to them, but come on man!!!!!

33. renee-ct

I was so impressed with the presidents speech, It gave me hope for the future. Even though Im a republican I am tired of the same message from the GOP. This country needs something new, and this new president cares for the country and not his rich friends.

34. Rashard Hollis

After watching the Presidential Address, I feel that President Obama did a fantastic job with his speech.

35. Kellie Risso

What integrity and optimism that President of ours has!
    He was and is the right choice for this position! I am glad I crossed my party line and voted for him!
    I hope that you all concur!

36. Godson

I bet my last dime that Bobby Jindal will never forgive whoever nominated him to give this rebuttal. He just wasted half his goodwill with stroke

37. Rumond

Who is Jindal and does the republicans have a united front or draw straws on who goes out and speaks.

38. Michelle

@ Jane, exactly! His rebuttal was definitely already written, so what can he say really?

39. Niyan - Baltimore, MD

Jindal votes for the patriot act and I cannot understand how an Indian votes for a law that supports racial profiling? It is like a black person voting for segregation. What a poor rebuttal.

40. Trenice

Good Evening All,

I am a huge fan of the President and knew the speech would be great.

Like many other bloggers, I am very interested to see how it will all unfolds. I'm optimistic! I believe if anyone can turn this thing around, he can.

41. Jane

Yes to Bobby Jindal! Good job!

42. Ryan

What a speech!! Was extremely happy to hear that President Obama is planning on increasing military pay and extending veteran benefits. As a veteran and spouse of an active duty member this was a point that brought tears to my eyes.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  43. Robert Lanktree

I think it is time to abolish the “2″ party system, as it is a form of racism. Why not let Americans just vote on the person, not the party. This will help bring Americans even closer, instead of some of the loathing that people have towards members of the party they are not affiliated with.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  44. JP Gaspar

Great speach Mr. President.
    Great work Anderson.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  45. Gil, Louisiana

Obama scares me with his reckless spending.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  46. Anderson smith

President Obama is doing his possible best to help the American people.
    Some of the CNN panel talk about what they dont know sometimes, the president say something, they try to interprete their own way. They make things worse sometimes, the american people are listening to them too.
    I don't know if anyone realise by now that the republicans are SAD People.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  47. Ralph

I dont think gov Jindal realise/remember that his state would'nt have survived if the fed did not bail them out in time of their problems.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  48. Polly, OH

Anderson, I hope you and your CNN panel discuss Gov. Jindal's misleading Katrina commentary. I was floored, listening to him speak. He spun complete fabrications!

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  49. joy soriano

where was gov.bobby jindal when i lost my too expense health insurance? how come the republican party can't see the needs the of 85% americans ? joy

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  50. Helen Dayton Oh.

More than anything Bobby Jindal needs to learn the definition of RESPONSE! His agenda seemed to continue the negative thoughts of the Republican Party.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |