February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. wayne king

i dont know how much cnn charges for air time but bobby jindall speach is a toatal wast of tax payers money..

thanks wayne

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  2. Greg

If this was Jindal's coming out party and he represents the new face of the GOP, it looks like we are due for at least 8 years of Obama. Amen to that!

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  3. Steve

President Obama will go down in history with the same impact as Washington, Lincoln, and Roosevelt.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  4. Nick

As a child my father told me, "Your actions speak so loudly, I can't hear a word you say."

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  5. Rikki, Fargo, ND

'Nobody messes with Joe.' ~I think that was my favorite bit!

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  6. Paul - Oakland, California

Governor Jindal looks as trustworthy, intelligent, and honest as Mayor Adam West from Family Guy.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  7. Robert Lanktree

It is nice to see the President being honest about the situation America is in at this time. While also bringing the confidence back to Americans that the Government WILL be held accountable for it’s actions.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  8. Scott Rosonke

i'm glad the president is pushing forward with this big and aggressive agenda. we need to get the economy going again. the republicans didn't say really anything about what would happen if we didn't spend.

February 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  9. Dan in Spurs Country

Country first! Put aside our San Antonio Spurs game to watch our president. He outlined how he will put country first. He was clear. He was real. A true leader. Agree a zillion percent!

10. Paul Wheeless

My wife and I are infoster care. We work with teens that will be transitioning into the world. We (foster parents) would like to help the new government, help our teens enter the work place and become good fathers and mothers. We need help with our programs.

11. jayn e

II think the president did a great job.

12. Tom K Frankfort, NY

Although much of what the president said lacked specifics, where the real obstacles lie, I can’t ever remember listening to a president who spoke to supporters and opposition so directly. The speech may not gain much traction on Wall Street but it covered all the bases it needed to tonight. Quite a contrast with the previous
    administration.

13. Katie

This speech impressed me not because it was deeply moving, but because President Obama is making good on campaign promises and the concerns of the American people. My hope and trust in the government is renewed as I hear that issues dear to me (including healthcare) are important to the President.

14. Marcia

President Obama is truly inspirational!

15. Lottie

As I hear criticism around Obama's ambition, I wonder what the point would be to have small dreams and mediocre goals...do you tell your children to "Dream Small"? Its up to us to get busy!

16. Krishna

As much as we like to blame the past for the current situation I see hope .. I see hope that obama's plan for the future can work.

17. Debra

if they would give the taxpayers a check we would stimulate the economy.instead of billions to banks how about oh say 20 thousand or so to each taxpayer. thx for the good work AC. Love the show

18. Clarence, Albuquerque

Roads. bridges, internet expansion.... sounds like more governmental or community minded functions...rather than private enterprises.

19. Amber Philly, PA

Gov. Jindal, how many of your citizens remain in trailers to this very day and where is the 1.7 billion dollars that was sent to LA? Please, show me the money Gov Jindal!

Greetings Anderson, Roland, David, Erica & Wolf!!!! XD

20. Tim in Muncie, IN

God help us all if the government ends up telling our nation's doctors how to practice medicine. I do not fear government paying for health care, just government controlling health care.

21. Manohard

Confident speech from Obama and a dud from Jindal. Jindal's got a long way to go if he want's to challenge Obama in 2012. In simple terms Jindal's not Obama and not the right candidate to replace Obama. I am more confident now after listening to President's speech.

22. Lewis Taylor

It's important that in this bad time we have a positive attitude, because negative thoughts will get you no where. I think President Obama speech delivered on that point. Why we may not agree with all and certain specifics were absent it was address the american people.
    If you take one small thing away and act on it then you have done something to further the cause and our future.

23. Linda, Michigan

Rowland and the Democrats don't seem to get it - most ordinary people are affected by Wall Street! If you have a 401K or IRA or are covered by a pension at work or work for the government with a pension or are retired and living on a fixed income or are saving for kids college, you are an investor! All of our assets are now about half of what they were a year ago and none of us will be spending.

24. Erin

Wow, what a speech. I must say President Obama has given me some hope tonight, and things have been feeling a little hopeless recently with the huge state budget deficits and looming furloughs for state workers (including myself). We have a rare man as our President who is not afraid to tell us the truth but is nonetheless not all "doom and gloom." God bless America indeed.

25. Daniel

Really Not a Good Speach Jindal, I guess he forgot about when the Nation came together to help New Orleans. On top of Congress was basically Ran by the Republicans who got us into this downfall. Horrible speech by Jindal, Great Speech President. I'm in to see what we have in front of us with a Great President we havent seen for the pass 8 years

26. Karen - TX

WOW is all I can say about the President's speech tonight. I feel so energized by his message. However, when Jindal decided to provide a come back for the GOP's, I have the same word "WOW" but my message behind that one is definitely negative.

27. rosalie

obama's speech tonight gave this old hippie
    hope

28. thyais walsh

Public school is where we need the money charter school are good but most americains depend and have no other choice but to go to public school and our kids are suffering in underfund school

29. Luna Jamero

As a 65-yr old American on fixed income, Pres. Obama gives me not only hope but confidence that America as we have known it in good times will rise up again. My grandchildren's generation is counting on it. Pres. Obama is a great orator but also understands with great intellect the challenges we face. I didn't get Gov. Jindal's convuluted excuse of a rebuttal for the GOP. So tired of how the GOP is always defending big spending yet where were they during the past 8 years?

30. Ali

LOL...good point Anderson about the Senators and Representatives that had nothing better to do today than to collect our tax dollars for reading newspapers while waiting 12 hours for a seat to meet the President! Keep working hard Anderson, this country needs your tax dollars to pay these "elected" officials.

31. Europe Harmon

President Obama put the focus and energy where it was needed most – restoring confidence in the American public, rather than attempting to summarize the details of an enormous strategic plan. Did anyone see how many pages were in that package?? Spare me on the "details" speech. I don't think even the presence of Jesus, if there were a second coming, could satisfy "Everyone".

32. fotini T

Excellent speech. Inspiring, honest, striaght-forward. I wanted some more on healthcare details. but He did sign that bill for 11M children. so there is action. Keep it coming President Obama. Jindal, What?? didnt your party learn anything from their loss in this election?

33. CanadianDen

Jindal was brutal !

34. Barry Stanley

Great speech. On target. Republicans must be held accountable and called out individually for intractable, political party positions.

We need now to begin to read and hear the specifics for each of the components of his plan. Barry Stanley

35. Rev. Wendell Oldham

I have trust in our president. It is so refreshing to have a president the is smart. His approaches address both the here and now problems and set us up for a competitive future.

36. vince

I think it was a great speech,we can come back,but we all must work together.It took eight years for this mess,and it will take some time to get back.Let us all pray for this country.

37. Lauren--NY

Thank you, Lori! You are always so helpful.

38. Floyd

Can someone tell me want Gov. Jindal was talking about spending money on "volcano watching"? is that a real profession or is he talking about geoglist study volcano

39. Christine Crowder

Jindal had good things to say, but he should have shut up half way through, he started to sound stupid. We are not getting out of this crisis tomorrow or the next day. It took a long time for the Republicans to drag us into this mess, now they want to wash themselves clean, so quickly?

40. Tim

I would like to see President Obama go after the oil companies. I think they are the cause of the recession.

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  41. Melody richards

Finally a president for every
    American. I am even more confident that we will recover.

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  42. kaz

It was more of the same promises and no details. Alot of good ideas but thats just what they are. You can promise all you want but who is going to pay for it.

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  43. Jacob

Obama spoke excellently given a lot of hope to the Americans. I want to believe Bobby Jindal wouldn't have said all that if he knew Obama would speak that way. Bobby couldn't help it but to still say what he prepared since it's too late to reformulate. It's too early to forget Republicans' mess Bobby.

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  44. Ron Rohrbacher, IL

Hello all.
    Obama has inspired me once again. Seems obvious Mr. Jindal's speech was written before they heard what Barack had to say.

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  45. Vic Carre

I think Jindal heard Obama's speech, but did not listen

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  46. shamsa

Great speach, I think he wanted american to get behind him so he got it. Republican automatically follow will of people. He does not need to bag to repulican lawmakers anymore.

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  47. David

Good speech! Inspiring;key concepts responsible action with long term vision is right on. Unfortunately, I don't think the conservatives were listening. They're too busy digging in! Guess they forgot how we, emphasis "we" got here!

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  48. chris, memphis tn

thank you america for the breath of fresh air .... politics had become such a stale closed box ... now it's open to the people who brought the box

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  49. Marshall

Change has come to America and his name is President Obama! The speech left me hopeful and proud to be an American! I pray that he can do all he says because he has a big job ahead of him!

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse NY

BrianpPorter, we'll be lucky if the DOW doesn't drop tomorrow. There was nothing new tonight, and no 'financial blueprint' that was advertised.

February 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm |