February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Kirk in Michigan

I really, really hope that we don't wait for some convoluted cap-and-trade system before we require people to pay the true costs of using fossil fuels. Without massive taxpayer subsidies, alternative energy doesn't have a prayer until we do so. It's time to be honest about carbon taxes. Is anyone taking notes from EU countries about their miserable experience with cap-and-trade?

February 24, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Eddie James

I've heard the same thing in different forms since I was old enough to pay attention to politics. "We are the government, and we are here to help." Forgive me if I don't believe it anymore.

February 24, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Chantel

I am very hopeful. The banks CEOs don't need any more of our dollars. Obama for main street not wall street.

February 24, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Xavier

Bobby Jindal needs to grow a little bit. I don't think he's ready for primetime or America's true issues nor do I believe that he can offer any real solutions.

February 24, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Anthony

I loved the speech made tonight and feel it's just what America needed to hear. But why was the Louisiana gov. on right after that wonderful address? I felt like I was watching an informercial and he seems to be a little slow.

February 24, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Mike M

I get it – Obama is a great talker, but what is he really telling us? I'm still not convinced that there is asolid plan.

7. David N

Hmmm, you guys are parsing your facts the same way as Obama. While Benz is credited with inventing the 1st "gasoline" powered automobile, it is a Frenchman that is generally credited with inventing the auto.

8. Keith

Concerning lack of specificity in the President's speech, he did what good executives do he set the goals and objectives and challenged the Congress and his staff to work out the details. This is what great leaders and head coaches do...

9. Mohamed Habibou

I am not sure how this man has become the Gov. of Louisiana! He does not make any sense to me. It was like he did not hear the speech that President Obama had just given. God help the people of the State of Louisiana.

10. Bishop Elect George Moore

Good job Mr. President you doing a good work don't come down.
    I admire your ability to ignore those who are not trying to help , but make a seen. I encourage you to stay on course we pray that God will direct your path.

God bless

11. Megan

Great speech, but the ideas themselves I am extremely skeptical... we will have to wait and see.

I typically favor Obama and see success in his speeches and idea, but this one just does not fit well with me.

12. Carmen

Who is Jindal? Really, who IS he? He freaked me out when he wasn't boring me to death.

13. Patricia Davis

I thought the President's speech was uplifting. He hit on points that was important to me. I was yet again Impressed. As for Government Gindal What in the world was he talking about., His facts was so off the mark.He needs to get out and talk to the people of Louisiana.Not impressed at all .Was he squinting to read his speech? OMG
    Like Sarah Palin not the one.

14. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, you make me laugh! Sitting that long to save a seat really does sound equally ridiculous to me!

15. xtina, chicago IL

I don't think government putting itself into each area of American life is the way to go, as Obama wants. People don't have control if they have to turn over more and more of their paychecks in taxes .

16. Carol Liege

I loved both speeches. They both inspired a new vision for Americans, and both emphasized the same priorities. Hope all involved can resolve the differences in the details.

17. Jishnu

Hope we will get a leader like this for India....

18. vanessa from silver spring, MD

No Amderson ,they don't have anything bettter to do then to sit and wait for good seats to get to see President Obama. If I were them I'd wait in line early too.

19. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

At least, though, you can say that there was some bridge crossing.

Anderson, they don't have anything to do. It's like watching the fireworks at the park.............insane, in the membrane

20. Glenn A. Covalseki

I have never ever had hope in any president then I have so much for President Obama. He is so trustworthy and is an example of what America needs. My only hope is the the politicians become true americans and come togather for their country. I am 61 years old and I have a renewed faith. God Bless the American Dream

21. Carole

The Louisiana governor listed some things in a way that suggested the Republican view was different than the president's when the president just committed to those same items in his speech or has been saying them right from the beginning of his campaign. Support for the troops is one example. Disagreeing is one thing, false or misleading suggestions is the same old politics that does not work.

22. Helen Dayton Oh.

Thank you Duane. There was no excuse not to read the Stimulus package. If people had read it all along they simply could have read the changes and highlighted them in the previously read material. Many people even college students have to stay up most of the night reading to inform themselves. What do they think they are being paid for. Outstanding speech President Obama.

23. stephenie

Also, maybe I am crazy but I am happy to hear that people making over a quarter of a mllion dollars a year will have to pay higher taxes. It's about time!

24. Brian - Sac, CA

The real Americans don't really care about party lines, we just want our government do the job they were elected to do! Get on with it all ready!

25. Josh

We are going to make jobs and cure cancer. Great, hopefully China can do that for us.

how many times did congress stand up . com

26. Kurt`

Why is everyone jumping all over Gov. Jindal's rebuttal? He comes out cold in front of a camera with a red light on-in an empty room, as opposed to being in front of an audience with interuptions with approval.
    Give him a break.

27. joe campitiello

The Republicans preach hate and fear once again enough with the politics of division, Boooooooooooooo on them unproductive, unimaginative, a disservice to the American people. When will there political dinosaurs get the intelligence to understand its not dems against republican it is WE the United States, Jindal is all that is wrong with that party selfish and un-American

28. Tim

I feel like we are repeating history. . . big government does not work, has never worked, and will never work.

29. Susan Bennett

President Obama is a masterful orator and was true to his campaign platform on energy alternatives, health reform and education. Unfortunately his recovery plans and massive spending can only prolong the recession rather than kickstart the economy. It's inconceivable to expect that more spending will resolve the massive overspending of the past! Isn't that the definition of insanity? Keep doing the same thing but expect a different result!

30. Jocelyn

I think we got Gov. Bobby Sincere-dahl. A way over-the-top response, but that's what happens when there is no logical answer since their party did the damage. Please don't patronize us.
    Jocelyn

31. Jackie

I think Obama made very good points and I hope that he can stand by them during these tough times. Many are looking for him to fail but what they do not seem to understand is that would mean we all fail.

32. portia

Pres. Obama did an excellent job tonite. Of course not everyone will agree. Everything he said tonite was what I wanted to hear.

33. Brent from KY

Great speech, I think he can get all that done, hes going to do it by cutting the budget. Republicans want to talk "stop spending" well lets see if they go for whats getting cut in the budget.

Would have liked to had heard something about the failed War on Drugs, its a big money pit, and a failed policy, plus prison costs for non violent offenders, its all a mess.

34. Mike

Don't the Republicans get it yet? Bush years weren't enough? Obama is just what this country needs!

35. Sue

The GOP+Jindal's response was his speech for running in 2012 not an argument at all. Once again the GOP having no idea what is actually going on; they only want to have power and get into office.

36. Joan Greathouse

The President hit the speech out of the park!!!

37. Rebecca

I am so proud of our new president. Great speech tonight. Congress, help him. Fight for American, forget you may lose your jobs in the next election because you can only think of yourselves. It could be worse, I know, I lost my job to outsourcing.

Republicans and Democrats look at Senator Ron Wyden's health care bill for a start on the health care issue.

38. edwin martin

We are all sheep or rats and he is the pidepiper. Its not going to work.

39. Billy

About 80% of what Obama was talking did not affect me directly. Where is the change? Where's the equality?

40. Sue from Rochester NY

I've never seen such fantastic leadership. We are so lucky to have a man ss prepared and elegant to lead this country at a time like this. And what's up with this Jindl guy? Is he serious about being opposed to governmt intervention?

41. Beatrice

What was Tom thinking? Or was he just making his own headline? What Obama referred to in stressing how much oil the country imports was the 'energy' issue! Please...

42. Sammyette

The President's speech was wonderful ! It encourages all of us to

43. Bobby Thomas

I agree with Obama 100% he is real

44. Cliff B. New Rochelle, NY

Didn't any of you guy's notice that Jindal sounded like he was talking too a bunch of children?

45. Rich Kaufman

Who cares about the details. That's not what tonight was for. At all.

46. Cary

The campaign swagger was back in the President tonight. It seems the Republicans are still searching for alternate solutions besides "no". Still no luck!

47. David

About time public service with the incentive of furthering a person's education was enacted but should be mandatory, a draft if you will.

48. marcel

The governor of SC declined part of the stimulus. And the SCHOOLS ARE IN BAD SHAPE. WOW

49. polly

Great speech. Obama was inspiring and confident. We look forward to tomorrow with him as President.

February 24, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  50. Roynale, Shreveport,La

I love President Obama's address to congress and to the people of the United States of America. I appreciate the bailout, because it helped my family and I with the modification of our home mortgage. Just for the record: we have never been late on a morgage payment only in an adjustable rate mortgage. President Obama is very sincere and cares deeply about this country. Thank you President Obama!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:55 pm |