February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. xtina, chicago IL

Shouldn't it disturb people that the only plan Obama offers is "more of the same", i.e. the biggest spending bill in history?

2. Jay

Jindal has a point. America needs something new for economic growth. To make something new, we need innovative ideas from regular middle class America. Politicians don't know everything. They are rather upper-class and know, but don't experience, our struggle. Some lower-mid class person may have all of the answers to our problems, but we won't know. Politicians need to listen to our ideas and not make up their own.

3. M. Harris

I am tired of hearing the GOP talk about how the president's plan will not work, they had eight years. Eight years, and look what they bestowed upon our country. Give it time, to work, or not work.

4. Norm

Gone are the days of a petty response from the 'other' party - our President has spoken and he has done his best to unite us and laid a vision before us that each and every American can dedicate themselves to. Forget opposing views on the heels of such inspiration that asks us all to join in as Americans who love our country and join the debate first and last as Americans!

5. Tim

I am happy that we finally have a president that will take steps to deal with the mess that the other guy was not wanting to do.

6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I will watch again Pres Obama soon!!!!

7. Ralph

This man, Mr. Obama, President of the US will be a light to America just the way light is to the world.

8. Alan

I have to say, as an independant, that Gov. Jindal sounded like an idiot... sorry to say it but the GOP is completely detached from reality. He sounded Bush-like.

9. Mark

I think President Obama did a wonderful job and with the republican response it is clear that no matter how hard the president reaches out to them they will not cooperate with this president

10. Joe

Did deregulation put us in this position?

11. Rosa

A lot on the plate and all possible with time and dedication if we believe we can achieve. Imagine our bright strong future if we pull it off. I believe.

12. Deborah

I am very hopeful and was impressed by the president. I have not felt this way in a long time. People must realize he is not a miracle worker or is he God,but at least we have something to look forward to.

13. Sue

I thought speech was very good. I fell more hopeful than I have in a long time.

14. Lauren

Obama was great, he gives me such hope. But that rebuttal was so awful. It's tough to be a republican these days.

15. Dayna

President Obama's plan Will Succeed because he believes it will!!The power of positive thinking!!

16. Glen Up North

Xtina, I don't think people are intimidated by Jindal as much as they are disapproving (or even disgusted) of his message and his tone of delivery.

17. Mike, Syracuse NY

Interesting how Obama took credit for the tax cuts the Republicans pushed for in the stimulus.

18. Alfredo Hernandez

Wow! what a speech! I agree 100% with President Obama and his sense of urgency with our economy, education, and helping out the 95% of Americans who need this help NOW! Great Speech.

19. Greg Barber

Incredibly well crafted and delivered speech by President Obama. Jindal came across with contrived folksiness and did not really seem to have a coherent message. That is as nicely as I can put it......

20. Deacon Fred

I felt the President said what the country needed to hear. Even though he did not go into detail he outlined the specifics that needed addressing.

21. Kevin Phillips

Anderson , Did the whole country forget that this mess that we are in is really the result of the Republicans that asked for small goverment but delivered large deficits/war /no bid contracts all i see is everyone looking at this moment and this president for this deficit and the spending out of control , TARP went to the banks , not my house or any of my friends ????
    Kevin Phillips

22. Fritz Sherrick

At age 65, for the first time in my life, of all the Presidential addresses I've listened to, this is the only one where I felt like the President was actually talking to me as though we were alone talking together! His speech was a masterpiece and, as I watched, many of the fears I've been having about the condition of our nation, our economy, and about our future began to melt away! Bravo!!!!

23. Larry

Good speech by the President but as I heard on another broadcast there are 9000 ear marks in the current budget prepared by congress and headed to his desk. What will the President do about those?

24. Patricia Diflo

Obama's tone was spot on & Im' rooting for him wholeheartedly.. The devil is in the details, however, and if the details are do not come swiftly, he may lose the momentum we all desperately need to turn this mess around.

25. Bryan - MN

Wow! Inspiring speech!!...I noticed that there were a couple points during the speech when a lot of folks failed to stand and clap. Is it possible to get a list of the people that didn't? I wonder if their constituencies are proud?

26. Mario in DC

I never have been on a blog or chat like this, and I have never really followed politics or what my President is saying, sice it looks staged..... I have been inspired to write in and let you all know that I feel like finally I can make a change and there is someone (my country) that will help me when in gets tough....... WE can do it!!! sometimes we don't need to hear every detail but just a boost of confidence..........My hats off to Obama.......

27. lisa

I live in Baton Rouge, LA . I would like to know what in the world was Bobby Jindal talking about. His information does not reflect what is going on in Baton Rouge. We are a feeling extreme pain from the recession.

28. Gary Latman

The speech was brilliant. Having enjoyed almost 60 years of life, I can definitely say that if we work together selflessly on common goals, pushing in the same direction at the same time, we can move mountains. We can put a man on the moon; we can connect the most remote areas of the world to the same network. The President repeated what we can do if we work together. Let's get moving on making the President's optimistic goals a reality.

29. John

This is not the America I grew up in. Where is personal responsibility for ones actions? Home of the Socialists... I don't think so!

30. Henry

You Republicans gave George Bush eight years to screw things up. Why don't we give the President at least a couple of months to figure out just how messed up it really is.

31. Jamal

Sorry to say but if the Republican Party keeps this up, meaning using gimmicks to try and grab our attention, they may really become obsolete.

32. Layla

Was good to see both of the aisle stood up and applauded most of the time!

33. Maureen

Gov. Jindal should concentrate on doing what's best for the people of Louisiana that elected hijm and not worry about campaigning for 2012 already.

34. Paul

How wonderful to hear a President speak in full sentences. How comforting to have a President who doesn't talk to Americans as if we have a third grade education. And how inspiring to hear a president be criticized by the pundits for being "too ambitious". The President actually cares about America being the best it can possible be. America is on the rise!

35. Thelma J

GOP you had 8 years to get it right and you did not. You made it worse for Amercia. People are losing jobs and homes. Washington is time to stop fighting and pointing fingers and fix this mess. It is going to take everyone to recovery from this crisis. The Gov of LA should focus on his state. Louisiana still has a long way to go to recovery. I was born and raised in Louisana and I would never live there again.

36. James

Inspiring speak from the President. I thought the message was very clear and spoke to all Americans. I felt the GOP message by Gov. Jindal was off the mark and inappropriate at times. The Republican party is why we are in this mess for the most part, so I believe it is time for the Democrats to have a shot at it. I don't see it getting any worst...

37. Roc

what a smack in the face. how can we expect people to come together under President Obama when after he speaks the republicans rebutt his goals and objectives.

38. Xavier

Get up America! Sounds like Obama wants to truly help us all!

39. Billy

I can't save to buy a house because I am a paycheck to my daughter instead of a father.

40. Johnny

The president speech gave hope which was what it was designed to do. There are too many critics on will the plan work but ,where was all these experts when bush was in office running up the deficit. The republician party is desparte and trying to do what ever to make the president efforts to look hopeless.

41. Roy

I am glad President Obama addressed major concerns of the country and did not get too specific because policies are still being shaped. He gives the country confident that we will overcome and for each citizen to get involve in the solution. Great speech.

Governor Jindal did not have anything to rebute but tried to present himself as a republican leader but come on I know the republican is not that hard up for a leader or are they?

42. Charles

President Obama's speech was inspiring. I think we have a president who is telling us the truth now. I agree with him when he said that the first school need to start at home.

43. Robert

Republican Jendal's comments still seem to follow the politics of Fear.

Obama's speach is the first and most welcome to not mention September 11th. in 8 years. To point a new way forward particularly with the challenge for everyone to to do something in the next year to improve their own knowledge.

44. Lillie

President Obama gave an excellent speech. He wants to lead the country out of this recession. With his knowledge, faith, and hard work, he will do it.

45. John Morhous

I particularly applaud Pres. Obama's statement that corporations which outsourced American jobs would lose tax breaks if they did so.

46. Lew

Anderson, we need to stop using the stock market as a barometer of how well Americans are doing and how well our country is doing. The stock market reflects what the few speculators and a few money managers are doing. Can the media start referencing our viabiity by the median income and not by how a few speculators think they can enrich themselves based on how a company may perform.

47. Capt. Christopher L. Kent

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE , show the hypocracy of the scrawl at the bottom of the CNN coverage. From 10:25 to 10:29 it said that the Republicans agreed with President Obama. While Gov. Jindal was disagreeing on the stimuluss package. We may disagree, but please show the accurate information and let the viewer decide!!

48. Cindy

Obama can talk the talk but can he walk the walk? A lot of the things he is trying to promise are going to be very hard to keep! Health reform being a huge one!

Cindy..Ga.

49. andrea

Hi Anderson!!! President Obama's speech tonight gave inspiration and hope to a promising future for America!! He reaffirmed my confidence in America's ability to bounce back from the deficit we inherited from the last 8 years! I am sooo excited for our future!!

50. Brandon

I liked the presidents speech , even if it was what I expected

Gov. Jindal, so this was the GOP wonder boy, did anyone else feel like he was telling bedtime stories