February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Shahid

If a speech can take on the form of a symphony, than President Obama hit every note just right. Maybe its just me but it seems like the number of accomplishments for this white house just keep growing.

2. alton d smith

I was very impressed with the president speech. I hope the political figures on both sides work together and get this country back on track.

3. Dave wv

I just lost a15 year union job and theprez still made me so proud to be an american god bless america !

4. Dan - Moberly, MO

I am giving President Obama a chance. I am getting to work – Walk the talk, America! Let's all do our part!

5. Brian

I live in Louisiana, but you can't help but be impressed by President Obama's elequent arguements. Jindal has always been an impressive politician, but tonight he sounded false and had sold out to the Spin Doctors. He needs to continue to write his own speaches if he has any chance of being taken seriously for all the reasons he has been to date.

6. Peter c.

The president delivered his speech with confidence and spoke to the american peple. The rebutle by the republican party was boring and just repeated everything the president said and when he mentioned how the people could not rely on the gov't during huricanne katrina which party was in office the?????????

February 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Alex (Springfield, IL)

I thought it was a fantastic speech, up there with his victory speech the night he won the election. He has done a fantastic job of getting people like me, a 20 year old college student interested in politics, I never miss a speech or an episode of AC360, thanks mostly to President Obama

8. Judith

What a speech!! We can all be proud of our President, who speaks with confidence, and eloquence.

9. Beach Party

OK now- when does the recovery begin? I am registered republican, but voted the democratic ticket- I am a middle class american being squeezed..When is relief coming?

Jindal didn't instill any confidence in his GOP response...

10. Patrick Goff Fleming

My concern is the issue of justice. Seems that the previous billions given to the banks have been just “forgotten”! Where is the accountability. Obama seems to have exempted the bankers from being accountable for the previous “TARP” billions unaccounted for. It’s as if a “that’s ok” attitude toward theft is acceptable in the relationship between our government and “big money” bankers. Correct me if I’m wrong.

11. Dane

The presidents speech tonight proved to be very inspiring for me as a middle class American. His top priorities of energy, health care, and education effect us all, especially with the state of our ecomony. These things must be addressed if we are to keep our middle class alive and break through into the next century.

12. Jerry

I was encouraged by the tone of President Obama's speech.
    I am weary of the continued Government Waste that occurs everytime the Government begins to control more of our lives.
    President Busch invaded our privacy.
    Presisdent Obama will invade the pocketbooks of "Working Americans" to support the ever-growing dependent generations of "non-working democratic Voters".

13. Tim

Since no economist can figure out a way to calculate saved jobs, Obama can claim his big government programs will save everyone's job. More smoke and mirrors from a politician.

14. Brian

Gov. Bobby Jindal? How embarrassing!

The Governor of Louisiana Is such a liar, He did nothing for Katrina Victims and their family's. The sheriff he spoke of actually stopped people from crossing the bridge going into his town.

What an embarrassment!!!!

15. Frank C.A.

No one seems to see what Bill Clinton really did. Come on! Didn't he allow for the possibility of people to get mortgages that couldn't afford it? Isn't Barny Frank to blame?

16. leslie

Isn't it going to be a wonderful moment in a couple of years...we look back and say.."he actually pulled it off!" Something is in the air right now...we ARE watching history!

Finally, maybe, our elders might stop the "good old days" stories!

17. Ed from Ca.

What's Bobby Jindel talking about . He took billions in federal money for the Katrina rebuild of New Orleans. He said it was private funds that was used.

I think we all would like our money back, now, Bobby!

18. Mark

In two hours I've gone from being scared, to hopeful, from feeling that this is a fearful time to feeling that it's an exciting time to be alive.

19. Frank - Virginia

xtina, what makes you think the millions of tax payers will do the right thing with a trillion $$ when we can't figure out what a few banks did with 100's of billions from Bush.

20. Jimmy Ruiz

Hope has come to Washington, America, and the world! We're joining the world and the 21st Century. God Bless President Obama and the United States of America!

21. Bobbie Doss

What the hell was Bobby Jindal talking about. Using Hurricane Katrina as an example about government. The gov. failed horribly when it came to Hurricane Katrina.

22. Josh Coker

For those republicans out there I saw today a boat load of their pet projects that they call PORK in an upcoming bill so stop pretending and start recognizing that Obama is the best person for this job at this time!

23. Pam

We have spent years getting into the current economic mess. No one seems to have definitive answers about how to get out of it. Let's stop bickering at each other, be courageous and get behind the President who is acting like a true leader in every sense of what is good about the American spirit.

24. Zach Williams - Greenville, NC

Great speech tonight. I was very pleased with every part of it. To sum it all up, Obama really wants to help America and the families who truely need the help. In the future years to come, America's history will be known as: before Obama and after Obama. Thank you Barack Obama.

25. Rita

I'm just glad I didn't have to listen to the Pres saying "crisis" every other word like he did the other day. I am worried enough without hearing that. I needed to hear a little bit of hope tonight – and that's what I got. I'm a Republican who will support this President as long as I feel he deserves my support.

26. lasco

Great speech. We are still waiting for that Financial plan. Is there a website where we can provide ideas to the Treasury on what needs to be done with the financial crisis?

27. Dan

I am a small business owner, employ 35 people, am experiencing the challenges of the credit crisis and cannot begin to state how far away I feel from the Republican point of view, in spite of their continued claim to be on the side of small business. I listened to the President and am encouraged and heartened by his ambition and his articulation of the present circumstances. It will take far more than Bobby Jindal to get me to connect with these guys.

28. Barbara

President Obama's speech tonight was meant to be uplifting and I believe it hit the mark. On the other hand the GOP's response was poor. I felt that I was being talked down to.

29. Teal

I am stable, but I am also a single parent with children. I am afraid every single day. Although the fear is not gone, tonight's speech did make me feel better.

30. George Ontario Canada

The speech was so touching but one thing i like about him is he tries to reach out to the man in the street,he listens to the ordinary people

31. Bibbi

Regardless of the so called mistakes that Pres. Obama made during the speech, it was inspirational, and I believe in my heart that America, united, will come out stronger. The future is in our hands!
    I am 100% behind his education idea / plan.

32. Mitchell from Florida

I'm an Obama supporter, and have been for a while. That being said, I really think he succeeded in striking a chord of bipartisanship. He's made a lot of Kennedy-esque promises, but i think he'll live up to them. I can't agree with Jindal. It was his own party that pushed through Bush's "necessary" bailout, but now that a Democrat proposes something similar, it's wasteful? He can't play both sides of the coin.

33. Afreen

Going by Bobby Jindal's tone itself,it made me feel he was talking as if he was addressing a bunch of kids..An eerie Bush-deja vu there. Also,did NOT like the subtle jibes at Mr.Obama in his speech
    Afreen,India

34. Jasmine-Spokane,WA

So strange how one little speech can be so inflicting on other people...

35. Demetra

The president's did a fantastic job in explaining to us his plan- Energy, education and healthcare. What made his execution stellar is that he, as always, delivered with a tone of seriousness and the underlying moral principle of taking responsibilites for one's own action. The government can't help us if we don't help ourselves. I am so proud to be an American and am inspired to serve my county.

36. Nuwan Samaranayake

I think the President delivered a very powerful speech. I admire his optimizm, honesty and unyielding determination to fix our country in this defining moment. However, President may be wrong in saying that every American wants to see America successful. I think Rush Lumbaugh and his faithful follower may be an exception. Wishing the President to fail in this defining moment is same as wishing for this country to fail. Except for those, I guess we all wants to see America to emerge stronger.

37. Ken in NC

President Obama did not just speak to Congress tonight. He spoke tonight to the people of America and it left me with more hope than I had before the speech.

38. sharon D

As a hard working single mother I stand behind my President, his speech continues to motivate me to continue working hard with the confidence that i will archive my goals create a better future for my children and future generations.

39. Pam Baker

We should all be so proud of our 44th President. His accountability to us the American people is unprecedented and truly appreciated. Way to go President Obama!!!

40. Jessica p Gomez

PS Bobby Jandal and his party will have alot of making up to do to get his party to gain the trust of the American people

41. Jane

Jindal's rebuttal was a great example of the danger in writing a response before knowing what was said. The result was that he ended up by sounding the fool as he rebutted his illusions about what would be said rather than what Obama did say. Of course, this is good as it further displayed the sterility in today's Republican party.

42. George, New Jersey

It seems that republicans are desperate and in dire need to repair their reputation. After the failed campaign, they're looking for anybody who can inspire like Obama. Unfortunately for them, Jindal does not compare to our President one bit.

43. Emily

I loved how Obama not only let the girl come to see the address yet note how she represents the desires of the young people to make themselves and the nation better.

44. Europe Harmon

President Obama rose to this occasion in a positive presidential manner, speaking directly to the American public, restoring confidence where it was needed. I applaud his efforts wholeheartedly.

45. Raquel

Governor Jindal sounds as if he's trying to run for office. It's ridiculous that he would take this opportunity to emphasize his leadership in the State of Louisiana. The reality is that his Louisiana is still in bad shape and the Republicans need to get it together.

46. Andrew Babiarz

I am fearful, I think Obama's focus is all wrong. More direct government intervention, like he suggests, is wrong. Innovation and recovery can be stimulated through incentives to large and small businesses alike. As far as healthcare, regulate the lawyers and malpractice insurance required and insurance rates will fall back into an universally affordable price.

47. Ada

Good speech although committed to too much at this time. He might be setting himself up for failure.

Response from GOP Louisiana Gov. not really a response but a read script which sometimes reiterated what the President had said. I hope the Republicans are not putting their hopes in this Governor.

48. Mohamed

I think it's a waste of prime-time hrs airing Bobby Jindal's response after a most memorable State of The Union speech. There was no positivity, only negativity in his response. Being a migrant from Asia, I think he definitely sounded like a potician from back home.

February 24, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  49. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I'm still smiling from the President's speech tonight. But i'm still dizzy from Nancy Pelosi. She was jumping up so fast and clapping like it was a competition to see who can get up the fastest.

February 24, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  50. Tom Sealy

What a superb man no one could have done better
    he is the best. Excellent and very hopeful for america.

February 24, 2009 at 10:52 pm |