February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Anitra

The Republican response was again, political, empty, and mis-spoken... Where do they get their ideas??? What planet are they on??? What facts are they basing their positions on??? Am I missing something???

2. Rick

Finally a President that understands the he starts in office with the potential for greatness, Pres Obama understands now he needs to lead the congress to that greatness. This economic crisis may well lead to the "The Great Revial" of America it so sorely needed.

3. Aretha

I think the President gave a very good and hope inspiring speech to the american people. I actually felt like we may once again be seen as leaders around the world.

4. Marlon

Wow....did Gov. Jindal say that the Republican Party is for the people and the Democratic Party is for Banks, ie, corporations? Is that the exact opposite of what the years have shown? Trust is gained through honesty!!

5. xtina, chicago IL

Obligatory private-jet bashing by Obama. Now Washington is telling Americans they can't have private planes?

6. Lori from IL

Did anyone else notice that they didn't play "Hail to the Chief" when President Obama entered the Senate Chamber tonight?

David Gergen - you made me think of this from your inauguration comments about President Bill Clinton talking about how he missed the music playing when he entered a room!

Good show tonight, Anderson -

7. F.D.

A speech like this one by President Obama give me hope and pride in my country again. Prioities weree right on if only Congress would hone in on these three items.
    Louisiana Governor must have a short memory on the amount of Federal $$$ that went to his state.

8. Brandon Ramsey

I am an oil field worker in Oklahoma, and drilling has all but stopped. While I am left feeling more hopeful after the presidents speech, I am fearful that I will soon loose my job. In Oklahoma we drill mostly for natural gas, a cleaner burning fuel.

9. April from Illinois

Obama was inspiring like always. Really makes you want to do what you can to help everybody!

Jindall on the other hand–it was obvious that it's the same old GOP nonsense and that he is gearing to run for Prez in 2012. That should prove interesting as he was trying to one-up Obama's family background.

Keep the inspiration coming, President Obama!

10. Matt Koster

I think Obama did well? We need a motivated president not one thats on vacation all the time. I believe he will bring real change especially in the energy sector, and now many of the labor unions are organizing additional training to empower workers for this new growth industry.

11. Edwin M

I believe Obama's stimulus plan is extremely aggressive and will yield one of two results. Major catastrophe or outstanding results. We hope for the later. It is almost an all or nothing approach. Good Luck
    Mr. President.

12. bob

Gov Jindal did a good job representing the Republican side. However, words and assurances will have to be backed by consistent action. We heard this all before and, as voting Republicans were embarassed by what transpired.

13. Olive

Thought Obama's speech was great...very ambitious though...education, health care. I believe we can do it but where does the money come from. It'll take a miracle to half the deficit...who knows!

14. derrick white

Jindal comments were a joke. Pre-written, , irrelevant, standard talking points.

15. Eric Lake

I HOPE the president's term is sucessful.
    I would like a monthly progress of the addition of jobs that the president wants to save.

16. W. Hamm

Obama speech sparked energy through my soul. He said all the right things to send hope to the American people. The republicans rebuttle seemed a bit cheesy and staged. When are they going to get?

17. Marilyn

At last we have a president who inspires us to do better for our country. We will succeed!

18. Carlos Mogollon Lyons

Anderson,

President Obama did a great job. Very good speech. We finally have a president that is willing to stand up to Wall Street and the health care industry.

Jindal rebuttal sounded flat and as always, kept pushing the same policies that have failed us over the past eight years.

19. sandie

i have faith in obama, but i think only god can do all that obama said he was going to do in 4 short years.time will tell

20. Troy

Hey GOP!!! I already know "we can do anything"...that's why we have someone to clean up your mess you left my child to pay for in the future.

21. Danny Davis

Did Gov. Jindal even listen to the President's speech? He seems to have lifted several bullet points from the President's speech and claimed them as Republican party differences from the Democratic approach. I am not sure he was really prepared for this response.

22. Adetoun

Many have claimed that speech is too ambitous, but at least he has ambition. I think that having such plans lays out limits, and with Obama's plans it shows America's goals and ideals are truly limitless

23. Aaron, Dallas

The Republican are trying harder and harder to reach people of colr in this country. Jindal's speach was weak and very disappointing.

24. Sanford Diday

A good speech all in all. But, where's the beef Anderson? "How" will we pay for all of this without raising taxes on a going forward basis?

A help please.

25. Paul Policicchio, Novi,Michigan

The speech was a call to arms by The Commander In Chief. However, it was not directed to the Military but his real army – the people of the USA. The message was what is needed for economic victory and puts the opposition (congress ) in the crosshairs of the American public.

26. Latrice

“Energy, Healthcare, and Education” I believe that the President is on target. We have invested millions to fight a war in Iraq, now it’s time to invest in ourselves. Energy, healthcare, and education is going to make or break this country. It’s time to shift gears and move the next generation forward.

27. Gaston Perry

I have never been so moved by a call to action as I was watching and listening to President Obama, and it appeared that the chamber was moved as well. So it was a bit disappointing to listen to Jindel's response that played on some very old and negative stereotypes. More of the same old ideas from a very old and out of touch stuck in the mud party. Time to move on.

28. Dale

I would like to see the Senators and Congresspeople refuse to take any salaries until the economy is cleaned up. Set an example for what CEO should be doing, make an actual sacrifice. Start paying for their own health care.

29. josh

Hmm, after listening to lawyers and career politicians discuss the so called "economic stimulus" one thing has become clear; we need to have economists, doctors, and engineers to run for public office, i.e. actual problem solvers. We have allowed the folks in Washington develop economic plans that don't actually serve the public interest, plans that will not grow the economy, plans that in time will only seek to destroy the foundation that this country was built on.

30. Jamal

Obama has the right plan for this country. Jindal however fails to realize that the only reason our state of Louisiana isn't feeling the recession like the rest of the country is because we already received a stimulus package in the form of KATRINA recovery money. It was government that helped us out, not private enterprise. Private enterprise just benefited from the money coming to our state.

31. Tasha,FL

I think it is irresponsible of the republican governers that are rejecting the stimulus money. It is not about how they feel right now, but about the people who are in need in thier states. I hope people pay attention and do not reelect these peiple.

32. joe in toronto

Very hopeful speech.Pres Obama is very ambitious.Americans should support him.

33. Mr. King

The President Did A Fantastic Job!

34. Sharon

Gov Jindal did not sound sincere. You could tell he was reading, and he just sounded stiff and artificial. Quite frankly it was irritating and I just couldn't listen to tjhe whole thing.

35. Keith

Speach was dead on laying out the way ahead for the road to posperity and the future: Energy, Heath Care, Education and Strong National Security. What's not to understand, for investors you have your roadmap

36. fahima shahreair

I think he did great job and i like the way he tolk about education i think this is the best thing for a people.

37. Lawrence

I am not able to listen to President Obama and not believe that he IS honest and mean what he say's. This is a man that is in touch with me. I trust him. We all need to give this honest man a chance, his direction is strong, and precise!

38. Michelle

President Obama was very positive and hopeful.Due to the circumstances of the situation with housing and the economy i think he is doing an outstanding job.God Bless america.God Bless President Obama.
    -Michelle

39. Rosanne

I am so glad we finally have a President who can inspire and understands what most of Americans want. I feel hopeful that America can become the country other nations looked up to. I give him an A+, what an inspiring speech!

40. John Parrone

Simple put... We are further a head today then yesterday, His plan is working. .. He's getting our country to listen, RIGHT??

41. Luis

I felt President Obama spoke to us. I'm hopefull for our future. Governor Jindal...well it sounded like more of the same. His view of how goverment is very negative...makes me wonder why he ran and became Governor? President Obama delivered tonight! Thank you for allowing me to share my view.

42. derek

Here is the question that I have. If we could've seen that the war in Iraq would be a major contributing factor to the economic crisis we are in today, do you think that our leaders would make the same decisions to act that they did. I personally draw the line when our "cost of the democracy" can be felt in my wallet.

43. Jennifer, teacher from Roseville, Ohio

I am excited to hear the details about how President Obama will stop layoffs for teachers in Ohio. Also, what type of funding classrooms will get and when will the money be given.

44. Jessica p Gomez

Anderson,
    Do you really think that Obama will be able to pull through with his all of his promises? Creating jobs, cutting the deficit in half? I seriously am unsure considering that in order to cut the deficit the US will need to cut spending and raise taxes? However, I really hope he pulls through with his promises especially to have the most college graduates in 2020..

Jessica Gomez

45. EJ (USA)

I also thought the car was made in the United States.

46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Tom Foreman!!!!!! I love his magic wall!!!!!

47. Paul Heath

Bobby Jindal is interesting, articulate and a rare rebuplican counterpart to Obama – problem is he didn't have a hard argument against Obama's position ... on an execution level, this is like Tiger vs Phil

48. Laina

Jindal sounds like he's trying to run in 2012 as a puppet for the GOP he's rebuttal was scripted and fake. I am sorry I can not trust him. LA schools are horrible and impoverished. He needs to make his state better and not focus on his own agenda for the GOP

49. Anthony

Great speech by the president but in response to governor jindal rebuttal, who should we place all of our hopes on? the unemployed people or should we continue in the same republican ideas that have led us to this siutation in our country now, and did he forget about the 175 billon dollars that the federal government spent on helping louisana after hurricane katrina?

50. Jane

I think the president should stop hammering that our education system is not the best in the world, he may have a point, but this may give lazy teachers an excuse not to try hard.