February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Pati Mc

@ Jennifer, MI – Excellent question about Wall Street tomorrow. The President was a little tough on Wall St, and rihtly so. I am thinking it may be mixed. (and I am trying to be hopeful in saying that). 🙂

2. Sharon S

I heard him discuss the school situation and I heard on local news today that several schools in Roanoke VA will be closing! Sad!
    Wonder how the stimulus will help them?

3. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers! Was over doing the Facebook thing. Pres. Obama's speech was very optimistic. Can't wait to hear the GOP response!

4. Renee

@ Glen Up North: It's a small world after all. Disney is America's largest employer - 65,000 employees. They are layoff a large part of their workforce. Las Vegas is suffering too.

5. ek

i have never seen Nancy Pelosi smiling so much. How about we get G W give him a call.

6. Vickie

Great Speach! Wonder what Jindal could possibly say in response? 🙂

7. Esma

It's like a concert, groupies and all. 🙂

8. Mechelle SE OK

Sonja– glad you noticed that too. I thought I was going to be ill having to stare at her the entire speech. She is sooooo fake!

9. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Hey no one mentioned me either ? I hope that Obama will end the war and bring the troops home . It's bringing the country closer as a nation

10. vanessa from silver spring, MD

Hey all, i had to switch over from the CNN/LIVE Facebook blog to this one. WOW What a speech. My President did an amazing job tonight. "We are not Quitters'.

11. EJ (USA)

Hi Brandi and Pati! : )

12. Glen Up North

Xtina, you may be right re: "spend, spend, spend"... but to quote/paraphrase Obama himself: "It's a stimulus bill. Of _course_ it's all about spending!"

13. CaseyJ - Palm Springs, CA

Good evening bloggers! I can't believe I missed the WHOLE thing.

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Clarence, Albuquerque

It's great to hear the CNN subtle commentary while watching the presidential coverage.

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  15. mave

Good evening everyone. Great speech but hard to be optimistic with the problems so huge. I really want to believe. Now for the Republican response...not sure I want to hear the negativity. As I watched different interview Bobby Jindal did with the press this week I found myself wondering if John McCain isn't kicking himself for choosing Palin over him...what was he thinking?

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, im waiting to hear what my governor has done.

he picked a good day to do it, most people down here are still drinking up mardi gras and probably wont hear about it. lol

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  17. MC Sue

This is what real leadership is, and thank goodness we have him as our president today. He said what he needed as far as explaining his policies, defining his vision for our future, and how to deal with the many problems facing our country.

We need to get behind him as a country and stop the sniping that has hurt our politics for much too long.

Great speech–just what we needed at this time!

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Pati Mc – Good speech tonight, ey?

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Gladys

Obama is realistic he said this is not going to be easy.

February 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse NY

Nice campaign speech. I'd like to see the $2 trillion in savings he found.

February 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Bea

Jindal is trying to rewrite his speech at the last minute I guess!

February 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Renee

Did you all hear that laugh on the audio? Humm...... and Anderson thinks he has a goofy laugh.

February 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Sonja Silvers

Next speech, would someone please put some superglue in Nancy Pelosi's seat? How many times did she stand up tonight, I lost count. Overall, I thought he gave a very good speech, but that is just words, what the US needs now is ACTION!

February 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

An analogy comparrison of Kayne West and Obama Roland Martin keeping it real !

February 24, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  25. jennifer forty fort, pa

Borrowing money, to pay off money that you couldn't afford origanally & then adding more things that you can't afford to do with that borrowed $$ .....
    mmmmmmm as a single parent I've been living this way for years myself!

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Glen Up North

Mike, Fantasyland? We don't know what goes on behind closed doors when McCain and Obama don't have to worry about their parties (or supporters) overhearing them... Maybe he's hinting at something? 😉

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Rhonda

During tough economic times, we should reduce the size – and cost! – of government.
    We need to start with a reduction of congressional staff sizes and salaries, plus a reduction of the federal government offices, workers and their salaries....woops!......we elected Obama and the opposite is happening. It is so hippocritical that it's scary!

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Esma

@ Brandi-Clinton and W are both lefties. (I'm a lefty too, so I tend to notice)

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

Senators twittering, getting the President's autograph...it's like Disney!

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Pati Mc

Impressive speech. It kept my interest throughout – to the point where I grabbed paper and took notes.

Adored the fact that Pres. Obama challenged every American to participate in further education. So many important points were made.

Evening Chris.S, Michelle D., Vanessa, Silver Spring, MD, Canelssa, TX, Gill, Glen, Stacy, Jennifer, MI, Ashley, Lauren, NY and all you guys...

February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Ken B

I was pleased to see the address by President Obama. I am a veteran of the US Army, and I must say that tears began to flow down my face with hopes of a new nation, a nation that returns to "in God we trust", and a nation that I am proud to be a part of. It is amazing to see a people of all parties and ethnicities that embrace the focus of our country. I AM PLEASED AND PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@ashley,

im going to go with naive, trying to be an optimist. lol

ej, you forgot me! 😛

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    The Address was great–determined and focused–especially for the limited time Pres. Obama has been in the White House. Thanks for your excellent coverage.

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Hey Ashley! yeah he does resemble the superhero figure swooping down to save us.

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Renee

@ Cal: Brillant idea!

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  36. EJ (USA)

After listening to his speech – I thought more about more education (I already have a masters degree) but I'm all student loaned out.

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  37. ek

oh that was a great speech with lot of promises. If we can get two out of three agenda works, that will be a great accomplishment

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Lynn Sioux Falls SD

The speech did not ease my mind about the economy or the recovery plan. All I see is short term gain with long term pain.

February 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Esma

I loved the speech.
    Hey Chris, EJ, Megan, Ashley, Rikki, Isabel, the Vanessas, Glen, the rest of the awesome bloggers, and of course, all at AC360!

February 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. starr formerly known as vincent

Good evening everyone on the show & best blogggers

Pres. Obama sure can make me feel better, even when i remain very concerned about the state our country is in and the wars.

Hope he can do what he says...

I can't belive Jindal is the republicans choice of response to Pres. Obama...i thought Jindal was too busy denying his state benefits from the stimulus package!

February 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Steve - southern Illinois

Thank God there was no "Mission Accomplished" banner!

February 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Gladys

From Obama's speech i can tell he is in touch with what is happening in our households. That is what we need. We need someone in Washington who is in touch with our lives.

I think Obama has the best laid plans Health care, and education are very important, thank you!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Stephanie

He did an amazing job!!!! He outlined his plan very well. He understands the value of education. He is not an elitist nor was he born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he has worked with the poor and working class and he understands their pain. TEAM BARACK!!!!

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Charles in North Carolina

Great speach! I have not felt this good about the hopes and dreams for America in years! Thank God that we have a new President with new ideas and a since of urgency to get us there!

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

I agree with you Pati! That was awsome! Noooo-body messes with Joe!

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  46. xtina, chicago IL

All I heard was spend, spend, spend, spend....

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Cindy

I thought Obama's speech was just more of the same rhetoric that he has been saying all through out his campaign. I heard nothing new.

Cindy...Ga.

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Stu Neiman

In listening to President Obama’s speech and considering myself a moderate, I am struck (and I’d love to hear David Gergan’s thoughts on this) on the similarities between this speech and President Nixon’s 1974 State of The Union address (YouTube). Not just broad statements on energy, healthcare, environment, cancer research & oil – but specific language. What has happened between now and then? And Obama sounding like Nixon? Not exactly twins – have we come full circle?

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think its awesome that the Senators Twitter!

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Rose from NY

A lovely speech. But a good salesman understands it is best to under-promise and over-deliver. No one could disagree with the lofty goals and important wishlist for our nation the President puts forth. If our nation had unlimited resources and money to spend, I'd be all for it.

The only little problem is how to pay for it all. I hope the President has a fairy godmother waiting in the wings. I see no way to do this otherwise.

February 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm |