February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. carol

My impression of this awesome speech, is that President Obama believes he can accomplish this massive recovery and if he thinks so, then so do I.

2. Marco

Anderson,

What I took from Obama's speech is that the status quo of Washington has to be changed. What I took from Gov Jindal's speech is that he should keep his comments short–he made more sense on Meet the Press.

3. Dan

was bobby jindal running for president? i really dont care what he did in louisiana or what his daddy said. and btw i get the point that americans are able to do anything

4. Howard

I think he gets it. Direct and not afraid to tell us that there is a problem. I just love it when he throws the last president in front of the bus.

5. Brad

excellent speech! greatest speech i've heard from a President. And i love the goals he set. but is he just goin to pass these things into law without subjectively reviewing the everything that he is passing in the bill.

6. Armand Robinson

So let me get this straight about the Repbulician address. Jindal says the Republicians are sorry 8 years late and then expect all of us to accept their ways? Does that make any sense?

7. Mike, Syracuse NY

Carbon taxes on energy isn't the answer. Making existing energy sources cost more just hurts us. He needs to give tax breaks for alternative methods, so they become the less expensive choice.

8. Brenda Aguero

what is the deal with nit picking a man who has only had a month in the office??

9. Shawn

We need someone to help the economy and that's what the president is trying to do , when will the republicans stop criticizing and start helping .

10. Craig Taylor

I thought the president's speech was well focused and quite personable. He spoke with authority and a high degree of sincerity. What a change from the previous administration! It's obvious that the president is committed to the topics that were so popular during his campaign.

11. Cris

Voted for Obama over Hilary, but still very frustrated that there is no plan to bring back manufacturing to USA. We need to produce and sell to other countries in order to generate more Revenues and JOBS.

12. kitty mcallister

This was by far the best speech I have every heard.

13. linda Perry

President Obama gave a wonderful speech, very hopeful. He Knows what he wants to do and I think he will be sucessful, Jindal on the other hand is a flippin' joke.

14. Emily

It was not only captivating, but also very brilliant. Most importanly, I loved how he allowed the young girl to come to represent the desire of the young people to make themselves and the nation better.

15. sid

ambitious speech but inspiring like roosevelt. just maybe a new day!!!

16. K.Ladd

Isnt GREAT to have a President instead of a leader of a politcal party in the White house....people will respond to him and help transform us to a great economic power again

17. Anthony C.

President Obama did an excellent job conveying to the American public what lies ahead and the attitude that we need to be successful in getting this nation where it aught to be. I do not believe that the Republicans get it yet. People the world over are tired of the divisiveness and petty bickering.

18. David Eiler

Hello Anderson: All I can say is I love this bus driver and I'm getting on his bus. Meaning this is the best President we have had since Rosevelt if he pulls this off he will go down as the best thing to happ0en to America in 100 years. Let us Americans give him our full support for our grandkids sake.
    Thanks Anderson
    Frozen Tundra of Wisconsin

19. Annie

The President did a great job. I don't understand how Jindal got to speak right after President Obama. He is not our President and just shows that the Republicans won't work together with the Democrats to better our country.

20. Ali

Hey Anderson,

I loved the speech. I was designed to boost the morale of Americans and to reach across party lines and remind the Republicans that WE need all of their understanding and help, not just from 3. I feel that it was a slap to Americans faces when the Republicans decided not to stand and applaud the President.

21. Chris

President Obama rose to the occasion again. I think he did well to adress American's concerns about our tax dollars and he adressed the how serious the need to pump money into the banks. He seems to be taking this opportunity to fortify our country for the future and adresss things like health care, energy and education.

22. Bea

Tom Foreman's piece seems to be reaching to me. If there is a clear discrepancy then name it. If not, don't fuzzy things up.

23. dan beyerbach

Did you guys all miss the fact that Obama implied the creation of a national bank when he said he would set up a way to fund loans for autos, etc. if the banks don't? All they have to do to complete the process would be to accept deposits from the public.

24. Bob Sr

A great speech with decades worth of work to be done by a Congress who is pretty much hopeless and behind the curve. Get rid of the EARMARKS, but he didn't ask them to. Watch what they DO, not what they say.

25. R. Yousif

Politics as usual from both Democrats and Republicans. The politics of standing and clapping, shouting, and taunting on different 'philosophical' differences is still as childish as ever. Nanci, we're all happy about 11 millions new kids having health insurance, and green energy, we don't need the standing and clapping after every statement the president makes.

26. Sadanie, SC

to Willie NH
    Great idea, Willie. If enough people have your spirit of community and fairness, we will get out of this recession a lot faster!
    I'm not sure if I'll get anything directly from this stimulus (although I know I'll get a lot indirectly by seeing an improvement in housing, small businesses, employment, etc. . .), but if I do, I'm willing to give it up to people who need it more also!

27. Letha

I think he is doing a good job,and i am behind him all the way.

28. Javier Cavero

I think that we as Americans are to focus on short term gains/personal gratification rather than looking at long term investments for future prosperity.

These hard economic times is making us change how we view money and take more personal responsibilities in our action.

29. John

Obama had an amazing ability to inspire even the republicans.
    Senator Jindahl's rebuttal had poor timing. Many of his negative comments were out of place. I didnt like his condescending tone.

30. Elizabeth Wilkerson

It is dishearting to hear Gov Jindal's comments especially when I know people who lived in New Orleans and won't go back to LA . President Obama gives a sense of hope and action, not political speculation.

31. Maria from Louisville, KY

Obama's speech was top notch!!! Perhaps when Bobby Jindal loses his next election he may try to become a stand up comedian. His response was so idiotic – it was hilarious!

32. karen hansen

Incredible speech. We need to recognize we need these long term policies and solutions. It's not enough to "Let the economy correct itself". Been there, done that, it didn't work. Love the far-sightedness. A pleasure to hear a bright man who thinks in ways we simply haven't experienced in years.

33. Sean

Anderson, what in the world was gov. jindal talking about.
    the republican just don't get it. The good thing the american people desire will become the best thing when they allow God to give it to them. President Obama understands this and the GOP does not.

34. joe

How do we get the banks to loan money to people that now have some sort of late issues on their credit reports? I work in the finance department of a auto dealership. I have alot of hard working customers that want to buy a car, but due to lower credit scores no one is approving loans for them. What to due?

Thanks
    Joe

35. Mary

Obama's speech was as usual very open for the public. His points are well taken and explains questions I had about stimulus package.

36. Mark Caulk

president obama was moving...i loved the ambitious speech he gave tonite....best ive heard in a long time.....republican response sounded like their politics ...childish and out of touch

37. Chet Means

If Americans will open there eyes, they will see that this President, is for the good of our country and that we have to look at ourselves and truly believe in Obama and seeing that this man is a born leader and can make our country better than it has ever been before! God Speed to this man..

38. Suraya George

I feel hopeful about the speech and critical of the New Orleans governor's response. He is urging for the government to entrust Americans with money. That's what got us here in the first place. Americans have bad judgement when it comes to money. If we can't control our pocket books then we should be grateful that the gov't is willing to step in and help.

39. Doyin

The speech was excellent and i was happy to hear about education. I'm a preschool with a masters and i make less than $25,000. Hearing Obama talking about increase for educators and education begins at home. It made me happy and i'm very hopeful that some improvements will be made. It is sad that we teachers are being paid so little.

40. Christopher

Still seems like we have a Hollywood President. We are all saving money right now to ride this out. But the goverment keeps spending money. I get more fearful as the government spends more money. I have always been a firm democrat. But might have to change parties based on democrating spending lately. It is getting ridiculous!

41. Sherral, GA

Hi Anderson and Erica, everyone at CNN and fellow bloggers. Jindal was funny. I agree with the earlier comment that he was reading as if he was talking to 3rd graders. I am feeling very hopeful. Great speech.

42. LeAnn

the republicans are doubting the president but what did they do over the last eight years,now they have big ideas of how the economy will revive ,how did it get this bad.

43. Michelle

The speech was awesome! I think all the complaining about the stimulus doesn't make sense. At least President Obama is trying to make a difference and be there for the people. I think it would be good for the republicans to get in line and stop bucking against the system. They had it their way and.....

44. Martha

Bravo President Obama. You give me hope again in our government. It is high time that all of our elected officials get with it and stop playing party politics. We have real problems that need everyones attention.

45. Vera

I was so happy to hear someone address Gov. Gindal's comments about recovery in the state of Louisiana. He wants to reject some of the stimulus money. What he fails to acknowledge is that without the federal government, Louisiana would still look like a tornado hit it. It seems that he will use taxpayers money that does not have any stipulations, all the FEMA dollars possible. I think his rebutal of the Stimulus package is pure, unadulterated politics.

46. andrew

Gov Jingles? the next mr rodgers...why did he talk to us like we were 3yrs old? i thought inaccurate oversimplification and fear rhetoric lost this novemeber...

47. jerry v.

A breath of fresh air after eight years of party politics. Now we as a nation must bite the bullet to succeed. God be with us!!

48. Christopher W. Balke

When is the GOP going to lurn that they lost and they are out for the next four years. The american people seen what a mess they madeof it in the last eight years. Wake up!!!!!! CBalke

49. Jolene in TN

I'm so relieved by our new reality-based administration. P.S. Bobby Jindal was awful.

50. Judy

The President gave me more hope during this most stressful time. It makes me want to volunteer to provide education to those less fortunate.