February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Gary

I just watched Gov Jindal's rebuttal. He commented upon Katrina more times than I can count. And he also made a funny joke about spending tax money on volcano monitoring. Hey Gov, I live in the other Washington. Ever heard of Mount St. Helens? Get a clue. We have volcanos out here on the Left Coast.

2. jean

Obama is wanting to give rebates to people who don't even pay taxes! yeah why help the working class....................... the ones who pay the bills at the end of the day....

3. Melody , Atlanta Georgia

Hi Anderson , Barack Obama's speech was wonderful, I feel we finally have a president that understands the hardships of the poor and the lower middle class , such as myself. I pray everyday that he will stick to his promises. As for Jindal's speech, it seemed fake , and he just showed me even more how unprepared and out of the loop the republicans are .

4. Dave

President Obama made a lot of promises he can't keep.

There is simply not enough money to do everything he said he will do. It made for an uplifting speech but it won't be long before reality catches up with President Obama's words.

5. Mark

The Presidents speech was solid but wasn't bold enough for me. And I can't believe how bad Bobby Jindal's speech was. He sounded like a 5th grader. Another reason why the Republicans are such a joke.

6. barbara keeler

the president has once again given us the hope and confidence to
    move forward. sadly, governor jindl proposes that we continue the
    same old response. tax cuts. not stimulus, no new ideas. more of
    the same. have any republicans taken a look around in the real
    world?

7. Greg O

Finally a President that can multi-task. We have to fix all the things politicians have been promising to fix for decades and fix them now. The bill is long overdue.

8. David

Obama has set the bar very high! So, either get on board or get ran over!

The republicans just took another big left hook from Obama and still struggling to get off the mat. Unfortunately the response given Kermit Frog did not help their cause!

9. Shawntel

I think that it is amazing that "Americans can do anything" when it comes to taunting someone who is in the middle of the road then when he becomes president complains that he does not consult them to make sure he is doing his job.....then they try to convince the country that they can "reinvent" things when it should have been done for the past 8 years....

10. Vickie

@xtina -– intimidation is NOT the word that comes to mind. However, Jindal certainly has a right to oppose Obama, but his speech basically agreed with Obama, and very badly. ?????

11. Thomas Polk

I think the President's address was on point. I think it's important that the GOP focus more on the needs of the American people and their Political come back.

12. Kenneth E. banks

Obama's speech made me so sick in my stomach that I had to turn the tube off. His economic plan is nothing more than a continuation of Bush's supply side economics. My MBA and Chemical Engineering professors have taught that supply side economics absolutely never have, do not, or never will work. Nobody in the White house or the Congress has identified the problem; they are busy addressing the symptoms. We are in for a long rough ride.

13. Tyler Phillip

President Obama's speech was ambitious but it's the America I'm excited to live in. Maybe I'll get that flying car in my lifetime... Jindal was new and ok but I agree with Gergen, didn't make sense.

14. David, Indiana

I can see why Republicans pick Gov. Jindal, he's friendly not contentious, but argues.

I'm listening to this second go round on the panel discussion, Ali Velshi, David Gergen, Roland Martin, and John King. As John King noted in first discussion, helping banks isn't about Wall Street only, is about helping everybody in the country. My feeling about this is that the President is refocusing these questions, supporting the reasons for his actions, and for acting quickly

15. Kendall

I was embarssed for the Republicans, they couldn't even muster up enough maturity to respect their president

16. Mark - San Francisco

I think its funny that he has to keep repeating his policy on tax increase. He's been consistent since before the election.

17. Russell

Jindals rebuttal was a joke. This did no good for US moral. Forget about working together as it seems GOP wants and expects us to do it w/o fed help.

18. Carlos from IL

I don't belive that Gov. Jindal even listened to the President speech.

19. Tony in IL

I liked Obama's speech & Speaker Pelosi was very enthusiastic. I am disappointed with Gov. Jindal's comments. In the crisis that this nation is facing, he needs to get onboard, it's not about him, it's about the people he governs. This is a ploy for the 2012 election by Jindal.

20. David Thomas

I like the speech – it was one of a leader. The President can't do everything. But they have to set the priorities and charge the administration to move forward. I hope that we can see more bi-partisan efforts to solve our nations problems.

21. Andy

I see the presidents job as setting the vision for where we need to go. Then delegate the people to get the job done. So far I think he has done this. I'm hopeful thus far.

22. Bonnie

Big mistake for Gov. Jindal to bring up Katrina with the story about the sheriff and the boats and the bureacracy ... it [the story] reminded me of "Brownie" then I started thinking about that FEMA mess that continues to this day and I missed the rest of Jindal's response.

23. nick lutu

I was happy with the speech. Very positive.

24. Zelda Gilliam

I was pleased with both the tone and confidence of President Obama. I am recently unemployed, however, I remain optimistic about my immediate future. I am hopeful – I have to be ~ the Gilliam Girls depend on me!

25. Walter

This had the feel of a campain speech. It seemed like he was trying to win over opponets instead of giving us details. If we (americans) can do anything give us details, we can understand.

26. Shelly Tackett

Goosebumps!! Clapping and cheering...was I really watching politics?

Hopefull,
    Shelly Tackett

27. Joe Jay

`Obama did it all. Excellant speech, great ideas, and very articulate.

28. Lisbeth Applefield

I don't know what speech Governor Gendal was listening to, it sure wasn't President Obama's speech.

His reference to Katrina was comical and when did the Republicans ever have a universal health care plan????

With his rejection of the Recovery plan, I think Gendal wants to turn Louisiana into Calcutta and the worst neighborhoods in Mumbai.

29. DaveT

Obama did a great job. I feel energetic and ready to take responsibility. Gov. Bobby sounded like he was making speech for little kids.

30. Connie In Jackson Mich

I am so proud of President Obama. He is truly a sincere and good man I will pray that we as a country will stand behind him and do our part to regrow America.

31. JL

The President's speech was great! I really appreciate his honesty and drive. It is very nice to have a President who is not intellectually lazy like the last guy. I have a problem with Gov. Jindel's response, for starters, where does he get off comparing himself to Obama, as if they come from the same place, and the rhetoric about Katrina, how dare he. I would really be interested in who wrote that propaganda speech for that sap.

32. Frank C.A.

I believe this decision was too fast, all these bailouts are not needed at this time. Why was the republicans left in the Dark? where is the transparency? after the bill gets signed?

33. Keith

I thought the President's speech was inspiring. yes, the President is ambitious but ambition is what what we need to get us out of our problems. The President needs more time. Can't fix 8 years of abuse in 2 months.

34. Vanessa, TX

YAY Tom Foreman and the magic wall..I was one of the statistics from facebook..proud to say

35. Scot S. Blakeley

Possibly the most ambitious President in out time! Truly amazing and inspiring. And no teleprompter either!

36. joe campitiello

I love the Pres. Speech GREAT job. But what about that Jindal guy oh my god he reminds me of Mr. Rogers

37. Elaine

I thought Jindal was supposed to give the Republican response to the speech. I'm not sure he even heard it. Nothing was different than what we have heard from the GOP all along.

38. Omar

Jindal: "We're going to regain your trust" by doing the same thing we did 14 years ago — promising lower taxes but being unable to cut the essential government services people rely on, especially in times of economic hardship. It was especially rich to hear him complain about deficit spending after what happened over the last 8 years.

39. Mike, Syracuse NY

Obama's comment about no earmarks was a massive laugh. There's probably still 25% pork in the bill.

40. Wayne

I was incredibly inspired by the President tonight. It's been a month, and it seems like the American public is expecting a miracle from him to get us out of the mess we're in.
    After listening to Governor Bobby Jindl, I have only one question: why didn't the Republicans do any of what he spoke about in the last 8 years when they had the opportunity?

41. Michelle D. Ontario ,Canada

Erica Thanks for breaking it down in specfic terms female vs maleGreat idea facebook polls I am hopefull -I cast my vote here i don't have facebook

42. Rose Marie

I love this way to share the inauguration and tonight's speech...it really makes it a bonding experience even with people in other camps. And, wow, we're all paying attention...now that's a sign of hope.

43. Brett

It appears that Jindal is already jockeying for the Presidency in 2012. This just will increase the scrutiny from Republicans in which we need cooperation from. Barack Obama needs a little more time to prove himself before he receives this much critisism from the GOP.

44. Ben

I agree that there were not a lot of specifics in the speech; however, I like the aggressive agenda. When he gets it done, there will be a different feel here in Washington and across the US. I am thankful and hopeful.

45. Felisa Lancaster,Tx

Enjoyed what President Obama spoke on. I feel we are headed in the right directions. By June both houses will be working together for the common good of the citizens of America.

Looking forward to watching the stocks for the rest of this Month.

46. Dalexh

I found Obama was optimistic about our people and economy. Gov. Bobby seem to need something to say. Lous. recieved billions of dollars in aid from the federal governent. Well played President Obama

47. Tannia

great speech!!

48. Mike R

Hi there, I beleive the president may not get it all correct and will never have total cooperation. If we just work with him like he asks its guna get better. As far as jindal alot of the things hes mention the president is workin on give president a chance

49. Kym

I liked much of what he had to say, but what was most striking was his call to Americans to get at least a year of higher education. Also, his emphasis on education beginning with good parenting was dead on, but I want to hear more about how this will be accomplished.

50. Staff Sergeant Bowman

Enough with the politics already! The speed of the leader determines the rate of the pack... I wish the "Right" would stop trying to discourage peoples confidence in our president and lets pull together to get out of this mess!