February 24th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 2/24/09

What do you think of Pres. Obama's address to the joint session of Congress? This is where you can share your thoughts on the speech and the GOP rebuttal by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. Just scroll down and post your comments to "chat" with Anderson and Erica during the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
soundoff (1,642 Responses)
  1. Ingrid

Obama's speech gave me more hope...we all need it. Jindal needs more time in the limelight...I was not intersted in his stories...look at me when you speak to me sir....

February 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Dan Alcantara

America was hungry for real leadership.
    We've got it with this president. Proud again to be an American!

February 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Jessica Blinn

I think that President Obama gave an outstanding speech! For once in my twenty-five years of life i have to say I am proud of who my president is. I am so hopeful for the future!

February 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  4. janice

Obama gave me hope. His commitment to making this all better was tangible. Bobby gave me a brain freeze. Just another Republican saying no but have no real solutions to offer. Of all the folks who need to embrace the recovery plan, the governor of Louisana should be first in line. Nothing but same old politics. It amazing and sad.

5. Annette

I was disappointed. Not enough specifics on gaining public confidence in Wall Street. Instead of blaming the banks, where was the blame for hedge funds manipulating bank stocks with no oversight? Still no oversight. Money being thrown at the problems with no implementation plans.

6. rita

I believe he is really trying. I pray that all Americans can work together and get America back where it needs to be. I am beginning to see this national pessimism in my job and church. We can work together and change it

7. RhondaS

President Obama's address was great; it was the first time I actually watched a presidential speech. It was on target and a great speech. God bless America!

8. Lisa From Rhode Island

"ONE CLASS ACT"

Anderson,

Where on earth was President Obama eight years ago? He is one class act!

John O,

You took the words right out of my mouth.

We Love You President Obama.

Your right behind Clinton.

9. starr formerly known as vincent

Pres. Obama's speech was electrifying! Jindal's not so much.

Yeah, we don't trust the republicans and it will be a "cold day"...before we trust them again. Nothing, nothing new from them yet! Do they not hear us or Pres. Obama that NEW ideas are what we are all looking for!

10. G. Douglas

Jindal and the republicans continue to argue outdated mid-20th century debates. More vs. less government is not relevant to today's problems. It's getting to the point where the american people are questioning their good intentions.

11. Arlyn Storeyf

I think our President was right on target;he gave us all hope that the 8 yrs of the past could be turned to the prosperus years of our future.
    The republicans in the Congress and Senate need to cooperate with the President instead of the constant critizing. We need maturity in our time of need!

12. xtina, chicago IL

I think people are intimidated by Governor Jindal because he talks about productivity and personal responsibility. Guess liberal Democrats prefer that Congress takes over responsibility for their lives

13. Scott Sch.

Jindal is one of those far right wing conservites that wants government to fail. He forgets that it was his party in the White House when the problems with government occurred.

14. Toni

Personally, I think Obama is a good speech giver. Everyone knows that. It was once again a good speech. I'm glad he addressed so many things.

In comparison, Jindal seemed very stiff, wooden, and insincere. It seemed like the same crap that is always said.

And I'm from the area. Jindal is very popular in Louisiana.

15. Chris

I fully support our President. I do believe he has our best interests in mind. What I haven't heard for a while is where/how illegal immigrants play in receiving some of this money.

16. Kimether, ATL, GA

So glad to see the old Obama. I missed him. He's the best, most ambitious Commander in Chief in history!

17. Victoria

Committed, Thorough, Passionate and Transparent

This is the President of our country.

18. Julian Lamm

Anderson, I don't like to hate on Republicans, but honestly, Jindal's speech, really? I felt like he was talking down to me. I'm not a 4 year old child. And again, no new solutions. Hey Jindal! Tax cuts alone don't work!!

19. Tremaine

Great Job President Obama, You're reaching out a hand to the Republican Party and if they dont accept "Shame on them". It will cost them the White House for a long time when your plan succeeds.

20. Bridget, TX

Jean, Bobby made excuses for GW not responding to the Katrina disaster by saying people helped people, They needed the govt. He talked about how we need the govt and each other. He was so boring.

21. James

His speech did not make me feel any better. Sounds like more talk than action. We got to stop spending money

22. Stephanie Burgess

Sure do like what the President said. I hope that America gives him a chance. Can't believe Jindal... how much money was lost because we didn't have anyone checking behind these white collar thieves?

23. Terri P.

AC,

A curiosity question....why do the Justices of the Supreme Court not stand when Congress gives standing ovations?

24. Layla

Not one dime was repeated by the president of tax increase made me wonder what about one penny?

25. Dennis Wike

Still not convinced.I like what President Obama had to say, but not sure that I, a blue collar worker, in missouri, will see any difference

26. james

I loved his speech. he spoke with confidence, with authority, with conviction and intelligence. He sounded like what i want my President to sound like and he addressed things that matter.

27. Pamelaa, California

Pundits were looking for something more hopeful – I think we got it. Obama expressed the kind of confidence in the U.S. we like/need to hear. It contained some programmatic announcements we needed to hear, and some specifics. I thought it was great.

28. Rumond

The people he spoke of and invited to the address made you think and to think the most powerful part of his speech came from a young girl. "WE ARE NOT QUITTERS." The gentlman from the bank sharing his bonus of millions WOW! I LOVE THIS COUNTRY! THERE IS STILL HOPE!

29. Muvi

Anderson and Erica, pls tell the Republicans that what America needs is honest and realistic governance, not to send Bobby Jindal to campaign for election votes at a time of economic tumoil. Thx.

30. Vasanth

It appears that the Obama speech is ever convincing as it has been in the past and the only hope we have. Are we only talking about accountability of the current bailout of our tax dollars, what about the accountability of millions (or billion) dollars spent daily on unnecessary wars?

Bobby's speech is a typical conservative speech and baseless arguments.

31. Mamie

I thought the president did a good job on letting america know what his plans are. And back to Bobby Jindel instead the republicans trying to block progress they need to try and support him, why didn,t he get in front of the T.V. when Mr. Bush was president and make a rebutal speech. half of what he said wasn't helping america, I finally realize what I have known all along republican like for people to suffer
    I have never heard in my life a rebutal to a speech for good. Bush didn't try to do anything thaat's when he should have been on t.v ..

32. Brenda Alston

Hopeful!!! Very Hopeful and have great faith in this President, that's new for me.

33. PAULA from Buffalo, NY

The President spoke to the true economic engine that drives this country – the people on Main Street, not Wall Street. Most of us have been watching the country deteriorate for the last eight years. The middle class has been hurting for long time. I feel more hope now than I have in the past eight years. But what is Jindal talking about?? I think he needs a hearing aid, or maybe we were listening to two different speeches. In any case, I think it's time for the GOP to sit down and be quiet.

34. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

CNN is all facebook happy. Should us bloggers be jealous? Haha

35. nojindal

I heard little of Jindal's speech. When did Republicans care about health care, independent energy? When did they think about smaller goverment? lack of goverment leadership for last 8 years look what we got? Please MR. Jindal, talk to your fellow republicans before you speak for republicans.

36. Mickey

Personal highlight:

"Dropping out of High School is no longer an option. That is not only giving up on yourself, that is giving up on your country."

To be one hundred percent honest, I hopped out of my chair and started clapping.

37. BethS

Eloquent, inspirational, visionary speech. Hold on- it is going to be a great roller coaster ride to the top!

38. Pam

Research Sheriff Harry Lee, Gov Jindal friend. How dare he mention Hurricane Katrina and Harry Lee as if Sheriff Lee's actions were all glorious. Research Sheriff Lee's deputies and citizens of New Orleans attempting to cross the Greater New Orleans Bridge. Gov. Jindal may have forgotten but may citizens of New Orleans still remember how U.S citizens were not allowed to leave a devastated city.

39. valerie

The President's speach was nwonderful.

40. DARRYLE

I felt that it was a great speech. This was not exactly what wall street was looking for but they will have there day. As far as the republican from Louisiana, the only reason your crime is down is because there is no one there. I have family that lived there. Trust me when i say it was nothing you did.

41. Chuck

Obama's doing great! Give the guy a chance! Coming from someone who is neither democrat or republican, Jindles "rebuttal" was just a reflection of the jargon in the presidential election race. Every time he mentioned Katrina or his father all I heard was "....and I've got the scars to prove it!" As a retired soldier who did two tours in Vietnam, I too have some scars and I'm really tired of hearing people on that "high horse". The same horse won't get Jindle any further than it got McCain! And yes! We are Americans! And yes, we can make it happen!

42. Clare Leary

This was like a football game pep rally, and the President as our quarterback scored big tonight! This country has alot of work to do, and he has the vision, determination and energy to get it done.

43. MzJitt

I felt that Gov. Jindal's response was weak. There was nothing said that we haven't already heard from republicans.

44. Sandra

Obama was inspiring. I feel hopeful.

Jindal was tiring–has he been to New Orleans, lately? What on earth is he going on about? Huge swaths of New Orleans are still in ruins!
    Another delusional republican.

45. Marcia Herrmann

Great stage presence. Good speech lacked details. Nancy Pelosi needs to listen. She is difficult to watch.

46. Kris

I liked it. It made me feel more hopeful! But why are the Republicans so stuffy? And what is up with Gov. Jindal? He looked completely nuts! The government gave to the Katrina victims!

47. Quina

Hopeful! We now have a president who will tackle key issues and from every angle.

48. Peggy Cox

Great speech, first lady beautiful, yes we can, but we bettter hurry!

49. linda

Kudos Obama. He has thrown down the gauntlet not only to the Congress, but to all of us. Are we up to it? This country is great, or is it? Only if we the people make it so.

50. John A

Hey Anderson, I think President Obama gave a great speech, and i have high hopes for this country i love so much.
    I think that republicans need to sit down and stop trying so hard to stop the president from helping America!